• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clannad After Story 05-06: The one about the cat

tumblr_lsnr9ovR671qmvjaf.gif

Dat fucking cat. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. Take it to the feels one more time.

edit: btw I just want to mention it know, I hate the intros with the robot and the little girl. It feels like the author/creator circlejerking among his writing staff over how clever they swear it is

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/Zero does have some nice little details in its writing. I don't know if you remember but, from the first episode I believe it was, there's actually a reference to episode 19. I think Kirei was talking to someone about Kiritsugu and he mentions
about him being a pretty ruthless killer in that he blew up an entire airliner just to destroy his target.
I think the scene we see later there in episode 19 is what he's referring to.

That's why I'm fine with the copious amounts of dialogue in Urobuchi's works. He tends to twist stuff stated earlier on. He's very good with proper foreshadowing.

Branduil

IT LOOKS NEW. How is an anime that is almost as old as I am made to look so new? This is magic.

The forgiving analog nature of film as a medium helps quite a bit in these digital restorations.

I did not know this. It must've sucked to play as Deedlit. Playing as Parn, on the other hand, probably rocked.

Record of Lodoss War was created in 1986 by Group SNE as a Dungeons & Dragons "replay" serialized in the Japanese magazine Comptiq. Replays are not novels, but transcripts of RPG sessions, meant to both hold the interest of readers and convey the events that took place. They have proven to be popular, even to those who do not play role-playing games but are fans of fiction (including fantasy fiction). Similar to light novels, many characters and parties in replays have become popular as characters of anime. An example of such a character is the female elf Deedlit in Record of Lodoss War, who was played by science fiction novelist Hiroshi Yamamoto during the RPG sessions.

cajunator

Banned
He posted this cute picture of Laura though.

Maybe I am and all the source material just has my birthday wrong!

that is an amazing picture of Laura. A picture of laura, charles, and Russian girl in cat outfits is highly likely to terminate my life functions.

Record of Lodoss War HD 1

Beautiful. This is the way Lodoss was always meant to be seen. It's crazy to think that the artists put all this detail into the series without ever knowing if it would be seen by the audience; as it is, we're only truly seeing it 23 years later.

For those young whippersnappers here who don't know, Record of Lodoss War is basically a series of novelizations of a certain group's Dungeons and Dragons sessions. The 1990 OVA was pretty popular, and it remains the best depiction of D&D in visual media(for what little that is worth).

The animation is certainly lacking at times, in fact, it could probably be more accurately described as a motion comic much of the time, and it makes liberal use of reused footage. It makes up for that to some degree by having exceptionally detailed character designs and layouts, but it's only now that it's being released on bluray that it will be possible to fully appreciate that craftsmanship. The first episode, of course, is not representative in that it's very well-animated in addition to being insanely detailed.

It's certainly not a perfect series, but it's an enjoyable high fantasy adventure with a good score and strong art direction. The archetypal nature of the story is straightforward, but it's executed well.

I need this :(

Nichijou END

Amazing series. I'm sad there is no more of this... I've taken a look at the manga but it just isn't the same. Just one of those anime you wish could go on forever. :(

HxH 101

I love this god damn adaptation. It's perfect. I could only dream of something similar for stuff like One Piece & Toriko.

Unfortunately you have now joined the ranks of nichijou fans who pine for that which will never come back.

Psycho-Pass

Ouch. I actually really liked Psycho-Pass. I only remember one instance where the constant talking droned on for too long, and it was the same as with Fate Zero where the bad guys were fawning over how brilliant they are and their twisted ideals where they tried to make it seem morally grey

CorvoSol

The forgiving analog nature of film as a medium helps quite a bit in these digital restorations.

Deedlit probably actually did things in the RPG Sessions.

See, from what the anime shows, Deedlit and the Thief whose name escapes me but was fairly cliche as I recall would have been fairly boring to play. Well, I mean, the Thief
after becoming Karla would've been interesting
, but Deedlit
spends the end of the game KO'd.

Branduil

See, from what the anime shows, Deedlit and the Thief whose name escapes me but was fairly cliche as I recall would have been fairly boring to play. Well, I mean, the Thief
after becoming Karla would've been interesting
, but Deedlit
spends the end of the game KO'd.

I doubt that the guy playing Woodchuck
played as the witch, he probably quit the game and that's how they got rid of his character.

Clannad After Story 07-13: After School and Early Adulthood

Uhm. It took me a bit to realize that like 60% of the drama/feeling of despair in this anime comes from that very mellow song that plays for everything in this anime. If somebody replaced that with say SnK's theme it'd be just a story about a guy working to badass music.

Articalys

Karaoke subtitles for mid-episode insert songs in anime is garbage and the devil's work. It completely ruins emotional moments during shows.
Tamayura is now ruined forever for me now. I'm so goddamn depressed right now.
I finally got around to watching the last two episodes, the emotional climax of the episode, and all of a sudden DISTRACTING COLORFUL SONG LYRICS IN THE CORNER OF THE SCREEN
NO
GET THAT SHIT OUT OF HERE

zeroshiki

Uhm. It took me a bit to realize that like 60% of the drama/feeling of despair in this anime comes from that very mellow song that plays for everything in this anime. If somebody replaced that with say SnK's theme it'd be just a story about a guy working to badass music.

hums secret base

Gazoinks

Fate/Zero 22-25 END/Final Impressions

WOOOOOOOOO. I watched these all in one go, so I'm posting my impressions after the fact instead of as I watch. This last stretch of episodes was HEAVY. Urobutcher at his Urobutcherest. Too many heavy things to even list.
Irisviel's death, Saber's breakdown with Lancelot, Rider's glorious death, Kariya's death, and of course finally the COMPLETE SHATTERING OF EVERYTHING KIRITSUGU BELIEVED IN.

Kirei vs Kiritsugu fight was awesome though.

And then Aoi's fate had to end up even more depressing...

That being said, I was honestly surprised Kiritsugu got a happy ending. Good for him. He, uh, certainly earned it.

Final impressions:

Overall a really great series. Awesome fights, great characterization, looked good, and mega feels. The only Urobuchi series I've seen are this and Madoka, and while I do really like Madoka, I think this exceeds it.

Now if only F/SN was good.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Oh yes. Get ready.

Articalys

Seriously, I hate ALL karaoke subtitles -- OP, ED, insert songs -- in anime unless it's for a song that a character is actually singing in-show.

That being said, I was honestly surprised Kiritsugu got a happy ending. Good for him. He, uh, certainly earned it.

I'd hardly call it
a happy ending. He loses his wife, never sees his daughter again, his dream is shattered, he's cursed and only has a few years to live.

There's some spoilers from the beginning of FSN in there.

Gazoinks

Seriously, I hate ALL karaoke subtitles -- OP, ED, insert songs -- in anime unless it's for a song that a character is actually singing in-show.

I like it for OPs and EDs if they actually make sense, like the Steins;Gate OP, but having subtitles for mid-show songs is definitely annoying.

I'd hardly call it
a happy ending. He loses his wife, never sees his daughter again, his dream is shattered, he's cursed and only has a few years to live.

There's some spoilers from the beginning of FSN in there.

Well... happy in a relative sense. I expected it to basically end with him wandering the ruins, a broken man. He lost everything, but then he was "saved", and even if he only has a few years he can actually live sort of happily for once without having everything taken away from him.

wonzo

Banned
Karaoke subtitles for mid-episode insert songs in anime is garbage and the devil's work. It completely ruins emotional moments during shows.
Tamayura is now ruined forever for me now. I'm so goddamn depressed right now.
I finally got around to watching the last two episodes, the emotional climax of the episode, and all of a sudden DISTRACTING COLORFUL SONG LYRICS IN THE CORNER OF THE SCREEN
NO
GET THAT SHIT OUT OF HERE
They're dumb as hell but you can just ignore or turn them off.

Articalys

I like it for OPs and EDs if they actually make sense, like the Steins;Gate OP, but having subtitles for mid-show songs is definitely annoying.
Okay, yeah, I guess OP/ED karaoke is fine as long as it's only for the distinct OP/ED animations themselves. Whenever the OP/ED songs are playing over part of the episode itself, they'd better keep that karaoke-free.
They're dumb as hell but you can just ignore or turn them off.
They're hard to ignore when they're as attention-grabbing as possible, and when there's normal conversation going on at the same time as the song you can't just turn off all subtitles.

WOOOOOOOOO. I watched these all in one go, so I'm posting my impressions after the fact instead of as I watch. This last stretch of episodes was HEAVY. Urobutcher at his Urobutcherest. Too many heavy things to even list.
Irisviel's death, Saber's breakdown with Lancelot, Rider's glorious death, Kariya's death, and of course finally the COMPLETE SHATTERING OF EVERYTHING KIRITSUGU BELIEVED IN.

Kirei vs Kiritsugu fight was awesome though.

And then Aoi's fate had to end up even more depressing...

Final impressions:

Overall a really great series. Awesome fights, great characterization, looked good, and mega feels. The only Urobuchi series I've seen are this and Madoka, and while I do really like Madoka, I think this exceeds it.

Now if only F/SN was good.

3099256663_1_7_SqLQli5a.gif

THE manliest of men. Even more than Kamina.

His death was the hardest for me

As to your comment, the ending of F/Z and what happens to Kiritsugu is basically a huge deal for the main character in FSN. If you REALLY want to learn what happens I'd recommend the visual novel, but if you're willing to wait like I said Ufotable is remaking it with the darker route. Plus the protagonist of FSN is too shonen for me. If you liked Ufotable's work I really recommend the Kara No Kyoukai films. Same visual novel team as the Fate universe, and same dealings of magic with mystery and a bit of grim-dark.

So speaking of Kamina.. guess who I found in Clannad?
h1555469F

Gazoinks

3099256663_1_7_SqLQli5a.gif

THE manliest of men. Even more than Kamina.

His death was the hardest for me

As to your comment, the ending of F/Z and what happens to Kiritsugu is basically a huge deal for the main character in FSN. If you REALLY want to learn what happens I'd recommend the visual novel, but if you're willing to wait like I said Ufotable is remaking it with the darker route. Plus the protagonist of FSN is too shonen for me. If you liked Ufotable's work I really recommend the Kara No Kyoukai films. Same visual novel team as the Fate universe, and same dealings of magic with mystery and a bit of grim-dark.

Yes! Rider was an awesome character!
"You are no longer my master, but you are certainly my friend.". D'aaaaaw. And his death was really well done, triumphant and depressing at the same time. He even commanded respect from the legendary asshole that is Gilgamesh.

I might check out the VN sometime, but... I'll probably just wait. :p I do plan on checking out the Kara no Kyoukai films though, I've heard comparisons to F/Z in tone as you said, and the format is interesting.

Articalys

Get better subs or learn Japanese if it bothers you that much.
yeshrug.png
Well, if I know to expect it I have ways to properly prepare for it and deal with it, but when it blindsides me like with Tamayura... *sigh*

I guess learning the language is the most straightforward option, though, as always.

Gazoinks

Sooo AnimeGAF! Now that I've done S;G and F/Z in a row I think I'm good on feels (and awkwardly placed punctuation) for a while, so what's a good fairly lighthearted show? More specifically, I'm looking for something that's not just a comedy or sketch show like Nichijou, something story-based but not mindbogglingly depressing, basically.

Branduil

Sooo AnimeGAF! Now that I've done S;G and F/Z in a row I think I'm good on feels (and awkwardly placed punctuation) for a while, so what's a good fairly lighthearted show? More specifically, I'm looking for something that's not just a comedy or sketch show like Nichijou, something story-based but not mindbogglingly depressing, basically.

Hanasaku Iroha

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Baccano!

zeroshiki

Usagi Drop

sonicmj1

It sounds to me like it's time for Girls und Panzer.

EDIT: Usagi Drop is fine too.

Gazoinks

Ah, that's one of my default suggestions, but it's good to know you've already enjoyed it.

Code Breaker, perhaps?

Yeah, Baccano was one of the first shows I watched when getting back into anime recently. It's a good gateway series because of its setting and excellent dub, I just wish it was a little longer.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, folks. Tomorrow I'll read over any that show up while I'm sleeping. :D

zeroshiki

For the record guys, spending 5 years to study Japanese for the sole purpose of watching anime is probably not a good idea.

*accidentally summons Kagami to explain the benefits of drama CDs, manga, games and various merchandise

fertygo

Try some sport title! the good one usually have good mix of everything and light-hearted in tone.

Hajime no Ippo
Big Windup
For the record guys, spending 5 years to study Japanese for the sole purpose of watching anime is probably not a good idea.

*accidentally summons Kagami to explain the benefits of drama CDs, manga, games and various merchandise

Of course its not worth it for just anime

Those japanese game that make me drool

Gotta go with Usagi Drop.

zeroshiki

Usagi Drop really is the only choice.

Shush, I'm trying to build a narrative here. No one will notice I've posted about it twice already.

Articalys

Yeah, I know, I know... I'm just still pissed about losing the moment at the end of the Tamayura episode. I'll get over it eventually; catching up on Golden Time right now to try and clear my memory (though I know I'll never really be able to watch the scene again for the first time).

zeroshiki

Yeah, I know, I know... I'm just still pissed about losing the moment at the end of the Tamayura episode. I'll get over it eventually; catching up on Golden Time right now to try and clear my memory (though I know I'll never really be able to watch the scene again for the first time).

I agree with you on this quite a bit. Subbers (whether fansubbers or official ones) need to get over themselves and strive to be as discreet as possible. People don't watch shows to feed their egos. They exist as an accessory to the viewers' enjoyment of the work and thus need to just f'in display the subtitles in a good readable font and get out of the way.

Usagi Drop

lol I think feels are a bit heavy there

Light-hearted and story based?

hmmmm. If you want light-hearted with just a tad bit of drama, I'd really recommend Spice and Wolf (though near the end it gets a bit romance drama).

If you haven't watched last season's The Eccentric Family do so now, also fairly light hearted and very awesome.

If you want a good show not too light hearted but not too dramatic, I reccomend Eden of the East. 11 episodes +2 or 3 movies so easy to catch up with.

Tiger and Bunny is also awesome though it has quite a bit of CG. Highly recommended though because the show's main character, Tiger, is so awesome to the point he ends up becoming the most beloved character among the whole cast.

The show I recommended before, Futakoi Alternative, the old work by Ufotable, isn't terribly depressing or dramatic, it just gets a bit sad at parts.

I can't think of much else right now. Most light-hearted shows I know with emphasis on comedy but also having serious stuff are a bit episodic in nature, stuff like Gintama and SKET Dance. If you're willing to give episodic a try

zeroshiki

Usagi Drop doesn't really have feels in the Anohana or Clannad sense. Its a happy show through and through. I dare anyone to watch it and not have a big smile afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom