• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

A Smile sequel would pretty much confirm they're out of ideas, right?

I guess it could be all right if they opened it up a bit more and let the characters develop and play off of each other more, but if they didn't do that with Smile then I certainly wouldn't expect them to do it in a Smile sequel.

A Smile sequel would pretty much confirm they're out of ideas, right?

I guess it could be all right if they opened it up a bit more and let the characters develop and play off of each other more, but if they didn't do that with Smile then I certainly wouldn't expect them to do it in a Smile sequel.

To be fair, you don't need that to confirm they're out of ideas.

Ore No Nounai 03

I had to skip throughout the episode to see if it'd get better.

It doesn't. I promised myself the 3 episode rule. You had your chance. And I hope you feel bad about yourself. Though feel proud. Your mediocre humor and unlikable cast are part of the exclusive clique of bad high school comedies I was able to drop.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It would have to be a Sailor Moon style magical girl story. In fact, SM also has planetary dieties and reincarnation. Mamoru is El Cantare!

This would also mean Minako is too.

Syrinx

To be fair, you don't need that to confirm they're out of ideas.

Well I haven't been watching DokiDoki nor do I intend to, but the meaning was basically that yeah it seems they're out of ideas and just cynically milking at this point, but this would basically seal the deal on that.

Articalys

Kyokai no Kanata ep.4

Really not sure how to feel about this series now, especially with how they apparently weakened Mirai's character from the original novel.

Well I haven't been watching DokiDoki nor do I intend to, but the meaning was basically that yeah it seems they're out of ideas and just cynically milking at this point, but this would basically seal the deal on that.

Interestingly enough, I apparently came across someone who said fansubbers or something didn't really like the ending to Smile, said it was rather, derivative. That was surprising.

Tenumi

Banned
I have doubts that it'd be a Smile sequel, based on the previous sequels being the season right after.

Tech Precure would be cool, yet incredibly unlikely.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To be fair, it's not like they've been terribly creative to begin with. Futari wa Precure got a sequel, then the next series was basically White/Black over again.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

If Heartcatch was a sales monster and still didn't get a sequel, Smile won't.

It would have to be a Sailor Moon style magical girl story. In fact, SM also has planetary dieties and reincarnation. Mamoru is El Cantare!

We'd have to switch Minako and Usagi's roles in the story so that Minako could appropriately be El Miore, but sure, why not?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Interestingly enough, I apparently came across someone who said fansubbers or something didn't really like the ending to Smile, said it was rather, derivative. That was surprising.
Smile ending was the same episode repeated 7+ times, so it was derivative even without comparing other works!

Indeed Splash Star was Black 2/White 2, but without the grind at least.

@Hitokage: Well I guess no wonder it didn't phase me. I was more about being done with the backlog than really caring.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
To be fair, it's not like they've been terribly creative to begin with. Futari wa Precure got a sequel, then the next series was basically White/Black over again.

The upside is that Splash Star is way better than Futari wa. The duo formula could have worked if it continued to evolve each season; Toei just took it out behind the woodshed because they have no patience for failure even when it doesn't constitute a pattern.

Articalys

Just found out there is a Hanasaku Iroha movie. Does anyone know if it's one of those recap movies or is it actually a sequel?
Neither; it's technically a side-story that takes place during the series, but a big focus of the movie is actually on flashbacks to Ohana's mother as a teenager.

Anyone here know what the fuck is up with Yamato 2199? The last 4 episodes should have released ages ago yet it seems nobody has anything past episode 22. I know the blu-ray comes out in 2 days in Japan but shouldn't the TV broadcast have caught up with the movie releases months ago?

Anyone here know what the fuck is up with Yamato 2199? The last 4 episodes should have released ages ago yet it seems nobody has anything past episode 22. I know the blu-ray comes out in 2 days in Japan but shouldn't the TV broadcast have caught up with the movie releases months ago?

Not months ago, but a month ago. The TV broadcast finished with episode 26, after which there was the announcement for another Yamato project in 2014.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I didn't like the ending to Smile either.

It's even worse when you've seen several other seasons because every single element is ripped wholesale from a previous series. My advice is to quit after the villain backstory episode and just watch the Yes 5 movie, which is the evil alter-ego thing done ten times better.

Tenumi

Banned
Smile ending was the same episode repeated 7+ times, so it was derivative even without comparing other works!

Really didn't help things with the
collected all the decors LOL nope gotta collect more!

The characters made Smile as watchable as it was.

...I fear I'm starting to turn cynical...

tumblr_mlu83rlI951qavd02o5_500.gif

Yo this gif is blowing my mind. This is how CGI should be done if it is CGI.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Really didn't help things with the
collected all the decors LOL nope gotta collect more!

The characters made Smile as watchable as it was.

...I fear I'm starting to turn cynical...
There are shows better than Smile Precure. It's not like you're facing a dead end by realizing it could be better.

Branduil

Rotoscoping for musical performances is very common since the alternative is so expensive and time-consuming.

Kids on the Slope used both rotoscoping and CGI for closeups of hands playing the piano.

I mean the overall deal with Smile could be seen as deritive when you consider they
repeat the fetch quests

A lot of Smile was pretty much about characters.... who didn't develop as much as we like (Yayoi probably has the most personality because she strays more from what she starts as), and admittingly, the final stretch in itself was really bleh
HEY, POWER UP ALL 5 OF THESE FOOLS, and yet despite that, they still can't wipe out an Akanbe by themselves. And then struggle all together over and over despite that.

Smile Precures were like the weakest group of Precures. bleh.

Syrinx

I mean the overall deal with Smile could be seen as deritive when you consider they
repeat the fetch quests

A lot of Smile was pretty much about characters.... who didn't develop as much as we like (Yayoi probably has the most personality because she strays more from what she starts as), and admittingly, the final stretch in itself was really bleh
HEY, POWER UP ALL 5 OF THESE FOOLS, and yet despite that, they still can't wipe out an Akanbe by themselves. And then struggle all together over and over despite that.

Smile Precures were like the weakest group of Precures. bleh.

And the last episode really sucked, with the
"Our only chance to defeat this is if we do this, but then you'll never be able to see Candy again". *cue minutes on end of crying* *they win, Candy dissapears* *more crying* *Candy magically returns to them* "I prayed lots and lots to the moon, guru". Hell, one of them even said that made no sense.
If you're going to pussy out like that, don't even bother with the whole "bittersweet ending" thing in the first place.

And the last episode really sucked, with the
"Our only chance to defeat this is if we do this, but then you'll never be able to see Candy again". *cue minutes on end of crying* *they win, Candy dissapears* *more crying* *Candy magically returns to them* "I prayed lots and lots to the moon, guru". Hell, one of them even said that made no sense.
If you're going to pussy out like that, don't even bother with the whole "bittersweet ending" thing in the first place.

It was only good for the GIFs for the crying that I make use of every now and again. It's like....

"TOEI! I WATCHED THIS SHOW ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS, CUT THE SHIT"

We have like what....? One bittersweet ending? Out of 10? (I haven't seen GoGo's ending).

Gbraga

A lot of new stuff today :)

Can't wait to get home and watch Noucome and Kyoukai no Kanata.

I'm still in episode 2 of Coppelion, the first one was soooooooooo boring.

Thinking about watching Free as well

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Sooo AnimeGAF! Now that I've done S;G and F/Z in a row I think I'm good on feels (and awkwardly placed punctuation) for a while, so what's a good fairly lighthearted show? More specifically, I'm looking for something that's not just a comedy or sketch show like Nichijou, something story-based but not mindbogglingly depressing, basically.

I'm not sure about 'lighthearted,' but for at least 'story-driven non-depressing' I might suggest:

Coyote Ragtime Show
Majestic Prince
Gunsmith Cats
Godannar

Also, you should watch Golden Boy (specifically the English Dub). It's not exactly story-driven, but it's one of the funniest things you'll probably ever watch.

Joe Molotov

I haven't kept up with all the new shows this Fall, but is Non Non Biyori the "cute girls doing cute stuff" of the season? I just finished Kinmoza and wanted to make sure I'm watching the right thing.

I'm not sure about 'lighthearted,' but for at least 'story-driven non-depressing' I might suggest:

Coyote Ragtime Show
Majestic Prince
Gunsmith Cats
Godannar

Also, you should watch Golden Boy (specifically the English Dub). It's not exactly story-driven, but it's one of the funniest things you'll probably ever watch.

Had never seen 3 of those shows and will be adding them to my list.

The best thing of coming to this forum has definitely been the recommendations of anime I may have previously ignored while going through MAL or simply never found.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Coppelion 2. This is a somewhat unexpected setting for an Anime, I gotta say. Like it so far though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While there's a number of standalone stories still left, a lot of the remaining material segues into an overall plot which , I think, is still being dealt with in the latest books. I'd imagine it's a lot like the Full Metal Panic situation: there's no point adapting a small chunk of it if you're unsure if you're going to do the rest of it. Well, unless your name is J.C Staff obviously.

Pretty much - those books were already out when the previous anime series were airing, and as a result, pretty much everyone who cares already has them. With Kadokawa not having new printed material to sell, they have less incentive to invest, as they'd have to recoup their costs purely from the anime production.

Also, it doesn't really help that none of the books following Disappearance are a patch on that. Most of the rest of the books simply meander along to an anti-climatic return to the status quo, wasting what interesting set-up they may have. I can't say I feel like I'm missing much by not having them in cartoon form.

They should just do an adaptation of Disappearance of Yuki Nagato instead.

Actually, the Yuki manga is the reason why I decided to look it all up, since it introduced a character named
Sayaka
who I knew nothing about and, as it turns out, ends up being the
anti-Haruhi
. That SEEMS like a major arc that they could do a story about anyway, but what do I know...

And yes, Yuki is the better character and should be the protagonist of the universe. :p
Really? Graham Chapman would be proud... that must be the best homage he could receive since he died.
Heh, it's certainly just as wacky anyway.

---

KnK4
uLQYLn5l.png

Sakuga peeps, is this real rain?

hhWEuRRl.png

And dawwwwwwwww ending. It sort of made sense where the two leads would end up, and I'd almost be happy if the show just ended there. Instead, there's a new meta plot that I'm sure will be fairly boring to watch. lol

cnet128

Banned
Actually, the Yuki manga is the reason why I decided to look it all up, since it introduced a character named
Sayaka
who I knew nothing about and, as it turns out, ends up being the
anti-Haruhi
. That SEEMS like a major arc that they could do a story about anyway, but what do I know...

You mean
Sasaki
?

Yeah, her and her
anti-SOS-Dan
are the most interesting thing about the material the anime hasn't covered yet. Unfortunately that plotline is being developed quite gradually over a number of arcs, and still hasn't really reached any kind of definitive conclusion. Given Tanigawa's lack of interest in writing anything any more, it probably never will.

Damn you now I want to eat gyoza.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Live action is always better, right?
I worship at the church of Cauron! It's not my fault Japan can't spend 100 million on their crappy anime tie-ins. :(

You mean
Sasaki
?

Yeah, her and her
anti-SOS-Dan
are the most interesting thing about the material the anime hasn't covered yet. Unfortunately that plotline is being developed quite gradually over a number of arcs, and still hasn't really reached any kind of definitive conclusion. Given Tanigawa's lack of interest in writing anything any more, it probably never will.
Ah, the wikia made it seem like it was over, but I guess it isn't? It just seems like a big story that's just hanging there... but oh well.

Damn you now I want to eat gyoza.
Om nom nom nom nom.

cnet128

Banned
Ah, the wikia made it seem like it was over, but I guess it isn't? It just seems like a big story that's just hanging there... but oh well.

Well, the latest pair (trio?) of novels gave them plenty of focus and they were heavily involved in the climax, so it does feel like their "arc" has been given a sort of closure, and if someone wanted to do an anime adaptation it would be a pretty decent cutoff point. But it doesn't really feel like their story is over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom