• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

First off let me just say that I also watched the "epiloque" in the summary episode. 'twas nice.

Now unto the feels discussion of AS
I too felt the happy ending was a bit too much, but I'm glad it happened. If it had ended with both his wife and little cute moe daughter dying of a similar weakness disease I would have punched a wall. There are certain things you just don't do, this being one of them. The plot with the robot and the interdimensional girl was 'tarded though. Sorry Key, I would have preferred if you had used the dream cop-out or an angel or even a time travel. But this? It was stupid.

I'm glad it ended happily though.

my evening would have been ruined if it wasn't for that. Gotta study for an exam. Can't do that with tears muddying up the paper.

The way it should have ended was
drop the supernatural robot lights nonsense, drop Ushio getting sick, have Tomoya live happily with his daughter with Nagisa in their memory, and shack up with Kyou on the rebound! Okay fine that last part is just my personal wish but it would work! Honest!

To be completely honest I watched the stories with the different girls after finishing Clannad season 1 since the way I play visual novels in general is to do the story of every girl besides main one first. I may have done it differently here since I still don't think Nagisa was best girl.

Fortunately the few VN's I've played with the choice, best girl was main girl.

Maybe it's cause I played the VN first and also technically didn't actually watch the whole anime (just sections of the first season and the entire
adult life+death
section of After Story), but I think the VN is a better experience overall. Also the ending actually kinda makes sense unlike the confusing nonsense the anime ended with
I still hate the ending even in VN form

Ah okay. There are two bonus episodes with Nagisa though.

I'm emotionally exhausted. I need some cheesy harem or some panda-kun right now. I haven't cried this much since the opening sequence of Up. And before that I hadn't cried that much since Wolf's Rain.

Thanks for the recommendation man. I had never considered watching it thinking it was overrated. After seeing it... I wouldn't call it a top 10 anime still like many will swear it is. But it's definitely a 9/10 for me since the good arcs balanced out the mediocre ones.

The way it should have ended was
drop the supernatural robot lights nonsense, drop Ushio getting sick, have Tomoya live happily with his daughter with Nagisa in their memory, and shack up with Kyou on the rebound! Okay fine that last part is just my personal wish but it would work! Honest!

agreed actually. Kyou was awesome. From what I hear there's a fan manga with just that ending. I really liked Tomoyo during first season but she all but disappeared in AS.

Uhhh if it's keeping you from watching Kyousougiga I would advise dropping it.

Kyousougiga is one of the (if not the) best shows this season.

It's not really keeping me from watching it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet, and I'm not sure why. What I mean is I could probably be doing something better on Wednesdays. Kyousougiga airs Wednesdays, right?

Phi Brain 52

Totally called Ana having the highest bounty of the support cast. The fact this series now has One Piece style "bounty levels" is fantastic and should leave to some funny interactions between the characters. I like the new female rival character she adds a different dynamic then either Rook or Freecell.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
That would have been perfect ending for me.
Ushio miraculously lives and they will live happily ever after with Tomoya. Perfect end for that arc. Now it just left me feeling kinda empty to see that amazing arc where Tomoya grows to love and care for his daughter after Nagisa died and then suddenly the series goes ''I was just playing with you guys'' ->Nagisa comes back to life. It just felt to me that all those feelings that I had during the latter part of the series ( I actually shed manly tears that I don't do often) were for naught.
It was kinda strange actually.

I don't think they were for naught.
Tomoya remembers his time with with the dying Ushio. He remembers Nagisa dying. If anything that love and growth he feels for his daughter isn't the sole result in the immediate timeframe. Kinda like what Kotomi says about other worlds, what he experiences there in the 'death' reality carries over, I feel, into the wished reality. He doesn't regret his time with Nagisa. He gets a second chance with Nagisa and Ushio, and I think he knows it's a second chance to avoid even a modicum of the same hardships he's already experienced, even if Nagisa and Ushio don't know that.

I'm emotionally exhausted. I need some cheesy harem or some panda-kun right now. I haven't cried this much since the opening sequence of Up. And before that I hadn't cried that much since Wolf's Rain.

Thanks for the recommendation man. I had never considered watching it thinking it was overrated. After seeing it... I wouldn't call it a top 10 anime still like many will swear it is. But it's definitely a 9/10 for me since the good arcs balanced out the mediocre ones.

agreed actually. Kyou was awesome. From what I hear there's a fan manga with just that ending. I really liked Tomoyo during first season but she all but disappeared in AS.

You're welcome! The two bonus episodes are actually pretty happy and cute (one is an interlogue between Clannad and Clannad: After Story, the other is actually a prologue to the whole thing). Not sad at all.

Dresden

i know dat feel

haven't wqatched anime in a long time because of Arcanum, aka one of the greatest games ever made, rest in peace Troika

jman2050

i know dat feel

haven't wqatched anime in a long time because of Arcanum, aka one of the greatest games ever made, rest in peace Troika

Please tell me you played a suave upstanding gentleman with a tophat who throws grenades and molotov cocktails at undead skeletons?

Cause that's the only right way to play Arcanum

I don't think they were for naught.
Tomoya remembers his time with with the dying Ushio. He remembers Nagisa dying. If anything that love and growth he feels for his daughter isn't the sole result in the immediate timeframe. Kinda like what Kotomi says about other worlds, what he experiences there in the 'death' reality carries over, I feel, into the wished reality. He doesn't regret his time with Nagisa. He gets a second chance with Nagisa and Ushio, and I think he knows it's a second chance to avoid even a modicum of the same hardships he's already experienced, even if Nagisa and Ushio don't know that.

Well I guess I just have to agree to disagree =P. It just felt that as Clannas AS (for me) was
one of those very rare anime series with actually great and realistic drama that it would be nice to have realistic ending too without some supernatural bs.
But yeah like I said the series builds the ending during its run so I can see why some people liked it. I just didn't.

Is episode 0 of Kyousougiga all that essential? I remember hearing varying opinions on it a couple weeks back.

My friend started watching it at episode 1 instead of 0, and apparently didn't understand a thing. Granted, he's sometimes a little slow on the uptake, so maybe he's not a good example.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Well I guess I just have to agree to disagree =P. It just felt that as Clannas AS (for me) was one of those very rare anime series with actually great and realistic drama that it would be nice to have realistic ending too without some supernatural bs. But yeah like I said the series builds the ending during its run so I can see why some people liked it. I just didn't.

Well it's not like the supernatural stuff isn't unprecedented in the show prior to the ending (
Fuko
's arc and the
cat
arc set that). I will admit that they do start to fall away from it as AS goes on, so I can see why its re-inclusion can be a little jarring. I do think KEY leans on that crutch too much though; Kanon was even more guilty than Clannad, and from what little I've watched of Air I feel like that one is too.

But fair enough!

Also Kyou is 3rd girl, come at me bro.

wonzo

Banned
Please tell me you played a suave upstanding gentleman with a tophat who throws grenades and molotov cocktails at undead skeletons?

Cause that's the only right way to play Arcanum
game sounds way to goony

dropped

Is episode 0 of Kyousougiga all that essential? I remember hearing varying opinions on it a couple weeks back.

My friend started watching it at episode 1 instead of 0, and apparently didn't understand a thing. Granted, he's sometimes a little slow on the uptake, so maybe he's not a good example.
Episode 00 is completely nonsensical without the 5 ONA's that came out not longer after it first aired on the net. i'd still recommend checking it out as the TV series is expanding on the later and its still cool as hell to watch.

Soma

Nah it's not essential. It's really nice to look at though, but will definitely leave you wondering what the hell just happened.

Episode 1 is a good starting point and clears up a good portion of that confusion though, with the rest of the show on track to fleshing out the events (really well I might add).

I started from episode 1. I mean I'm a bit lost but not entirely and I haven't seen the ONA's. I assume questions will be answered throughout the show. I can't expect every anime to be logical throughout.

edit: as to it airing on wednesdays I believe I have seen the episodes pop up wednesday night but it might end up being thursday night. cant recall.

Gazoinks

i know dat feel

Yes yes yes yes. Arcanum is a heavily flawed game, it's also one of my favorites because it is amazing. :D

i'm a half-orc gunslinger :(

Had a lot of fun with my own half-orc gunslinger a while ago. Playing a sort of classy evil dude who goes berserk when he's discriminated against because of his race.

What do you think are the odds that she still ends up being the final boss, and not Jouji Nakata?

Honestly I'm expecting her to heel -> face turn half way thought the season. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Jin ends up being the final battle at the end of the season.

Phi Brain 53

Honestly this has to be the most brilliant idea for a puzzle ever. A sliding block puzzle mixed with a maze. Seriously someone make this a thing I need this in my life!

Other then that not much in this episode besides Reastel joining the school life.

Gazoinks

On Kyousougiga ep 00: It's a lot of fun, but completely stops making sense about halfway through. Not necessary for understanding the series at all, although it is cool seeing the nonsensical stuff slowly explained.

Dresden

Yes yes yes yes. Arcanum is a heavily flawed game, it's also one of my favorites because it is amazing. :D
Yeah, for all that's wrong with it, a game of this scope and intricacy is really fucking rare. I'm so glad that we're in the beginning stages of a CRPG revival right now. Playing this before kickstarter took hold would've been really depressing.

Had a lot of fun with my own half-orc gunslinger a while ago. Playing a sort of classy evil dude who goes berserk when he's discriminated against because of his race.
Everyone in that world is so racist, lol. Although it's not much of an issue now that I have a +beauty blessing and a smoking jacket.

Gazoinks

Yeah, for all that's wrong with it, a game of this scope and intricacy is really fucking rare. I'm so glad that we're in the beginning stages of a CRPG revival right now. Playing this before kickstarter took hold would've been really depressing.

Everyone in that world is so racist, lol. Although it's not much of an issue now that I have a +beauty blessing and a smoking jacket.

Yeah, it was kind of a shock going from an Elf diplomage to my Orc gunslinger because all of a sudden everyone hated me! A low Int playthrough is a lot of fun also, it's worth it solely for the garbled journal entries. :D

It's a shame that all three of Troika's games were special but also heavily flawed. They could've made something amazing if they managed to iron out the kinks in their stuff.

zeroshiki

My life has been consumed by Pharaoh (the city builder game) for the past few weeks >_< I can't watch anime, I can't do anything but sit around wondering what city block would be the most efficient. Halp!

Gbraga

I do recommend watching Kyousougiga 00, it makes absolutely no sense by itself but it's still awesome, and it's also really cool to put the pieces together every new episode.

Can't wait for the next one.

Coppellion - 04
Hum this wasn't bad , human are greedy and are making stupid mistakes , news at 11.

Even so , professor was alright

Hey we have a toxic city ? let's put EVEN MORE toxic things in it !!

**sigh

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HanaIro da movie
xLs39pql.jpg

XpObx0il.jpg

Cakes gotta cake, yo.

So anyone who remembers this show when it aired and was here probably remembers my meltdown over the Tokyo arc. Of course, at that time I had no idea who Okadabot was, so I had much loftier expectations for a show that, while "wacky", still felt grounded in reality and avoided feeling too "writerly" previous to the Tokyo arc.

Now I know better. Much, much better, but what can ya do. lol

This movie itself is weird, because it feels like it covers much of the same ground as the anime, but just in a fairly compressed form. They saved the one big reveal for the movie, which really isn't much of a big deal (other than the potential creep-factor) - which incidentally made me think of
Tamayura
when I saw the reveal happen. - but it really wasn't anything I thought I needed to know anyway. Certainly it's a revelation that doesn't quite change anything whatsoever. Even Ohana sort of brushes it off.

tbY5HVvl.jpg

But like the series, the movie is focused on the three generations of women in this family and how they each choose to live their lives. The same conflicts from the series exist, and there's no resolution other than just a reminder of how each woman chooses to live her life. That said, since the wackiness and "filler" escapades are really small sideplots rather than complete episodes, the movie tells that story with a lot more focus and efficiency. The movie being a little over an hour - or about 3 episodes in run time - certainly helps with keeping the story moving without too many meandering moments.

Here's a random cap that is relevant to animegaf:
EWB886Rl.jpg

Oh, and I guess it's not really a surprise that the film doesn't address what happens after the show. It really is strictly set somewhere before the finale, but I suppose we can already infer that there would be a happy ending for everyone anyway.

As hilarious as it sounds, It was nice to step back to a simpler time in my anime watching life. Before I knew that Okada was the mark of death. Thankfully she didn't have a chance to "shine" in this movie. lol

Noucome 3
The show is still very funny though. this new girl is very cute. Also, somehow I think "the twist" at the the eriesis that each mission somehow helps the reject 5 become less strange. it will also probably develop into a harem but that is pretty obvious

Coppelion 4
Some people are just dicks. Dumping more toxic waste in a toxic city really is not helping

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As hilarious as it sounds, It was nice to step back to a simpler time in my anime watching life. Before I knew that Okada was the mark of death. Thankfully she didn't have a chance to "shine" in this movie. lol
I would like to point out that AKB0048 was Kawamori and Okada.

Log Horizon 3

Why is this series so good? Great balance of action and humor with a great cast of characters both main and supporting. I really like how this series doesn't have die in the game = die in real life but is able to still have a sense of tension in death. Living in a ravaged town where you get murdered every day and can't escape seems like a worse hell then just simply dying.

Gatchaman Crowds -

I'm not sure quite what to make of this show having finished it. I guess I went into this looking for something akin to a power rangers-esque experience only to come out of it feeling disappointed that the Gatchaman as a concept don't really play a super significant role in what actually happens by the ending. There's so much focus put on this essentially godlike social networking / twitter / habbo hotel type interface that the Gatchaman themselves seem like a sort of non-factor.

But I guess that's sort of the point that they were trying to convey?
That ultimately the people of the world held the key to either the destruction or salvation of their society?
The entire Gatchaman / Alien super power angle seems to just be haphazardly thrown into this system and world that really has no use for them though ... I dunno. I'm just wondering why this show is even called Gatchaman.

cajunator

Banned
Is Kyoukai no Kanata bad?

I've been enjoying it but I'm usually wrong about things like quality.

Its all groovy my man. So sweet.

No, but I'll keep quiet about it and not post about it.

I'm not very articulate in defending the stuff I like. Which in turn leads to me liking it because it's as dumb as I am. And since RurouniZel ist ünd dumkoff and can't write an intelligent opinion that's intelligent to anyone other than myself, I get told 500 ways from Sesame Street how wrong I am, and then I get frustrated and angry at my own incompetence and stupidity, and nothing productive gets done. My art ends up procrastinated, games sit unplayed, and I don't sleep well.

Im of the opinion that if someone doesnt like what I likd then thats just too damned bad heehee.
If something appeals to me it just does. No rhyme or reason to it. No analysis needed. Its either squee or flee.

Gazoinks

Kyousougiga 03

This series continues to be a major highlight of the season. Depending on how Kill La Kill turns out, this could very well turn out as my favorite of this season.

Anyway, looks like they're going to do an episode about each of the three and this is the Kurama one. I liked the development of him, especially in the second part, and it was nice to see some action in the present (even if segment 3 was basically ONA2).
Looks like Kurama is maybe turning out to be the main "antagonist". I suspect he's going to use the robot to somehow destroy the world so he can get outside.
Shouko is a lot of fun, and her laugh battle with Yase was great.

Visual highlight: The bit in segment 2 where the 3 kids are sitting and they're divided by the beams on the front of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom