• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

So to mark 15,000 followers of their Twitter account, the Kyokai no Kanata site provided a handful of "official" Twitter avatar icons for the show. All of them are just standard pictures of characters' faces, except for:

07.png

Truly, my cup runneth over.

Shirokuma Cafe 23

All you Panda-kun haters can keep calling Panda-kun conceited and other names, but you can't deny how much he cares for Handa-san. He was so mad dealing with his love-life lol. Panda-bro

Thoraxes

Forget about that oft-rumored third TV series: the newest issue of Shonen Ace seems to be reporting a new Sora no Otoshimono movie is hitting theaters in 2014.

Weird no S3 announcements, but this will do just fine in the meantime.
This is part of my quandary; I enjoy talking about things I like, but I despise my inability to articulate it well which reduces my ability to discuss those things I like.
I can only really lecture/write good posts on music, theory, formal theory, and composition, but that's because I have two degrees and have taught classes in the field of those subjects before. I have a hard time articulating a good response on anything that isn't music, and for that I am at least thankful that I can do it in one field.

I just kinda say why I like stuff outside of that field, even if it isn't exactly what I mean all the time.

Valvrave the Liberator 11

The action was a cluttered mess this episode. I wonder if that's because someone else was storyboarding in addition to Matsuo; the bulk of the action felt really different from how he normally handles it.

I knew Shoko's dad wasn't dead. I guess he's dead now though!

Polar Bear Cafe 16

I like how Polar Bear was telling one of his stories that seems like a lie... and then it turns out that it wasn't. Grizzly is dtf Polar Bear man.

And we see the second half through the eyes of someone who just starts the show!

Samurai Flamenco 1

This was more enjoyable than I expected based on the show's general reception, and I don't think the less than stellar animation holds it back that much. The two central characters and their dialogue were pretty endearing and amusing, which is good because their interactions form the bulk of this episode and potentially the entire show. I see the Kick-Ass connection, but from what I remember that movie relied more on shock and bombast than Samurai Flamenco looks like it will. I appreciate the themes and idealism the show is dealing with; they're things that come up in daily life but are difficult to deal with for reasons the show makes clear. The music felt appropriate but was a little overbearing in the first apartment curry scene.

I don't really know where the show is headed, but I'm certainly willing to keep watching.

sonicmj1

Yeah, Kick-Ass tries to fit normal people into a super-hero template, but it's still got bad guys and stuff. Samurai Flamenco seems to be more about everyday heroism and upholding moral values, rather than Good vs Evil showdowns.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01

How did a show like this fall under my radar for so long? We've got space battles, an alien race set to drive humanity to extinction, and a human race willing to make tough decisions in order to turn the tide. Basically hitting all the right beats for me in terms of Science Fiction shows and something I've sorely lacked in this year's pickings. It's unfortunate to see how jarring the transition is between some of the fantastic 2D stills / overlays and the awkwardness of the animation that comes with its liberal use of CG for the spaceships, the way you see certain ships maneuver in space really takes you out of the action in a few parts, but with that and a few 0g inconsistency nitpicks (it aint no Planetes) I don't really have anything negative to say as of yet.

nl47i5m.png

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 31

Almost all of those characters that cajunator keeps talking about how cute they are are meth-addicted marmots rolling around in cow shit compared to Hana-chan. There I said it. Oh, and now she's back in the regular fold of things. Awesome.

Green peppers are good and Onpu should feel bad about hating them.

I've been waiting for these words. Yes, yes she is the cutest!

bZoJmYE.jpg
jef6UXN.jpg

My face during the rest of that season.
Deja-vu (?).

Episode 47 is going to kill you. Both, Hitokage and me, agree that that episode is a cajun killer.

Yeah, Kick-Ass tries to fit normal people into a super-hero template, but it's still got bad guys and stuff. Samurai Flamenco seems to be more about everyday heroism and upholding moral values, rather than Good vs Evil showdowns.

That's a good way to put it, and I hope it stays that way. Big Daddy and Hit-Girl added a level of competence to Kick-Ass's vigilante actions that shifted the tone more than I would have liked.

-------------

Samurai Flamenco 2

It's still good, and less pitiful since Hazama achieves some minor justice in this episode, and perhaps even greater success if you consider his influence on Goto towards the end. I enjoyed the glimpse into Hazama's work life and the introduction of singer girl and potential closet superhero nerd. I thought it was interesting that they gave the Manager
some evidence for Flamenco's identity
so early on, and wonder where that will be taken. The post-ED scene was amusing as well. "Don't buzz in!"

I nearly didn't bother to check this show out, and I'm definitely glad I did now.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Its all groovy my man. So sweet.

Im of the opinion that if someone doesnt like what I likd then thats just too damned bad heehee.
If something appeals to me it just does. No rhyme or reason to it. No analysis needed. Its either squee or flee.

It varies from day to day for me. Sometimes I'm like "SQUEEE MOTHER FUCKAAAAAS!" and other times I just get frustrated and urked and blah. >>;

almost time for phoenix wright my brothers.

anime of the year.

iHQ9P7pp9iUPf.gif

It sucks that the update is 9:00AM EST, 'cause I'll be at work. Won't get home until 6. :(

I shall always love the Zel ♥

Yay! Nakama forevers! ^_^

I can only really lecture/write good posts on music, theory, formal theory, and composition, but that's because I have two degrees and have taught classes in the field of those subjects before. I have a hard time articulating a good response on anything that isn't music, and for that I am at least thankful that I can do it in one field.

I just kinda say why I like stuff outside of that field, even if it isn't exactly what I mean all the time.

Yeah, I'm only really good at judging the art in anime, but not the film techniques so it's a struggle. >>;

From the New World 24 -end (rewatch 1)

Fun and entertaining the second round even knowing the stuff, Squealers ending thing is still one of the most memorable moments.

Attack on Titan 1 (rewatch)

Eren was amazing in the younger days and best yuki kaji voice still. Hadnt realized before that the Titan essentially caused an Earthquake upon appearing, I dont remember others doing that.

Railgun S Episodes 2 - 3

80% of it was really boring and such, and why is there still no inkling of Toma, surely he is around somewhere. But otherwise, when its focused on the science and at least directly on Misaka Mikoto and the sisters stuff introduced it does remain interesting...and I must admit I laughed at Kuroko's harcore onee-sama antics
the bear scene!!!
. Still the voice is hard to endure.

Beyond the Boundary 4

Kind of disappointing
way too larger than life and I didnt like what they did to Akihito to make him lose control and harm Hiromi :( The basis of the fight and regenerating the barrier and even throwing the scarf was good though

Super Seiysun Brothers 6
tumblr_mv6bfgASWT1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mv6bfgASWT1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Bell Liberty Gakuen?! Easily the series second best episode yet, the whole doujin manga thing was amazing all the way through and Chika at the end on the bed getting all excited.

Quasar

HanaIro da movie
xLs39pql.jpg

XpObx0il.jpg

Cakes gotta cake, yo.

So anyone who remembers this show when it aired and was here probably remembers my meltdown over the Tokyo arc. Of course, at that time I had no idea who Okadabot was, so I had much loftier expectations for a show that, while "wacky", still felt grounded in reality and avoided feeling too "writerly" previous to the Tokyo arc.

Now I know better. Much, much better, but what can ya do. lol

This movie itself is weird, because it feels like it covers much of the same ground as the anime, but just in a fairly compressed form.

I didn't really feel that at all. I was actually pretty surprised that its focus was Satsuki. Now I knew it wasn't going to be post the TV series, but I didn't expect this focus. And from my memories of the show it was mostly all new material. Sure we knew that the mother daughter relationship was pretty antagonistic, but that's about it.

That said I was expecting a much more plot heavy story with it being a film and all.

Overall I was pretty happy. But then I really liked the series. So more of that makes me happy. Though I still would have preferred something that followed on from the TV show in some way. But then I guess given how it ended that's somewhat problematic. At least in terms of a film.

e_i

Got my order shipment notification for the Little Witch Academia Bu-ray this morning. *Sits and waits for the package*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't really feel that at all. I was actually pretty surprised that its focus was Satsuki. Now I knew it wasn't going to be post the TV series, but I didn't expect this focus. And from my memories of the show it was mostly all new material. Sure we knew that the mother daughter relationship was pretty antagonistic, but that's about it.

That said I was expecting a much more plot heavy story with it being a film and all.

Overall I was pretty happy. But then I really liked the series. So more of that makes me happy. Though I still would have preferred something that followed on from the TV show in some way. But then I guess given how it ended that's somewhat problematic. At least in terms of a film.
It's new "animated" material, but the actual story is a bit of a retreat, short of the one revelation that they make at the start of the film. I don't really mind, but even in terms of their relationships, the same "my mom's living her life so I should too" message that the show had is there. They just took the equivalent of 3 episodes to do what took like 10 episodes in the series to do.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01

How did a show like this fall under my radar for so long? We've got space battles, an alien race set to drive humanity to extinction, and a human race willing to make tough decisions in order to turn the tide. Basically hitting all the right beats for me in terms of Science Fiction shows and something I've sorely lacked in this year's pickings. It's unfortunate to see how jarring the transition is between some of the fantastic 2D stills / overlays and the awkwardness of the animation that comes with its liberal use of CG for the spaceships, the way you see certain ships maneuver in space really takes you out of the action in a few parts, but with that and a few 0g inconsistency nitpicks (it aint no Planetes) I don't really have anything negative to say as of yet.
It's the second best science fiction text of the year, next to Gravity!
I'm even willing to forgive all the animeisms that creep up later on

Hanasaku Iroha - Home Sweet Home

This movie really likes to use reflections to paint a scene:
Double images are deep!

Quasar

It's new "animated" material, but the actual story is a bit of a retreat, short of the one revelation that they make at the start of the film. I don't really mind, but even in terms of their relationships, the same "my mom's living her life so I should too" message that the show had is there. They just took the equivalent of 3 episodes to do what took like 10 episodes in the series to do.

Sure. The message is the same as one of the messages of the show. But pretty much all of the flashback material felt new, though maybe I'm just forgetting lots of stuff about the show. Of course whether we really needed to know the fine details of Satsuki's back story is another matter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sure. The message is the same as one of the messages of the show. But pretty much all of the flashback material felt new, though maybe I'm just forgetting lots of stuff about the show. Of course whether we really needed to know the fine details of Satsuki's back story is another matter.
Ohana doesn't even really think about her
father
all that much in either text, so probably not. It's almost a plot device more than anything else.

Shergal

Yeah, I'm only really good at judging the art in anime, but not the film techniques so it's a struggle. >>;

Some shows tend to be more "cartoon" than "film", where a core part is the quality of the drawings/animation and how dynamic/striking the layouts are. The first Lupin III series (at least the first, it's the one I'm watching) and easygoing gag shows like Shin-chan are some examples.
It's not that they aren't films using film techniques, but they have a fundamental factor of animation and drawing unlike some other shows that might be well-directed but don't put it at center-stage.

So did The New Prince of Tennis do good in Japan, or not? Just wondering because it hasn't gotten a new season yet. I'm not sure whether it's because the manga may not be far enough (I don't read the manga so I don't know how far it is), or sales.

The last episode of the show was kind of a huge cliffhanger, so I've been looking for a new season to appear for a while.

jbug617

Banned
So did The New Prince of Tennis do good in Japan, or not? Just wondering because it hasn't gotten a new season yet. I'm not sure whether it's because the manga may not be far enough (I don't read the manga so I don't know how far it is), or sales.

The last episode of the show was kind of a huge cliffhanger, so I've been looking for a new season to appear for a while.

A new OVA was announced last month. It will be a continuation from where it ended.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-21/prince-of-tennis-ii-anime-gets-new-ova-green-lit

cajunator

Banned
Nagisa Furukawa.... Always my favorite anime character ever.

Anyway, other news...

Squid Girl Season 1 (Netflix, English Dub) (END)

This was definitely a worthwhile watch, comedy-wise, but towards the middle, things started to feel... repetitive, for lack of a better term. It wasn't literally repetitive, but it felt like the shtick was growing old. The last episode with
Squid Girl losing her powers temporarily
did help the series overall, though. I'm just not sure that I particularly care to watch a sequel, at least not right away
and without english dubbing!

Don't be squidiculous. You're totally inkcited for another season of Ika musume.
Anyone can sea!

Anyway, on to something that's vaguely on topic.

Kill la Kill 1 + 2
Well, that was something. I'm not entirely sure what exactly it was, but sure. OK Trigger. I'm on board with this.

If I had a nitpick with this series, is that the fanservice dial is a bit too high for my tastes. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but turning it up to 11 only goes so far when 10 will probably do. This is the point where I reheat my salty spag bol metaphor from the KlK thread that will probably get me on @NeoGAFWorstPosts and a hashtag #GAFNoAnalogies.

So, er, yeah, what was my point again (aside from pointing out that these goes to eleven).

The fanservice dial is supposed to be at twelve. I guess they did mess up.

I love you doggie!

I'm kind of afraid of watching this show now. D:

Its well worth seeing. You can doooo it.

cajunator

Banned
I would like to point out that AKB0048 was Kawamori and Okada.

AKB0048 was a masterpiece. It simply must be seen by everyone.

Now that it's almost upon us -- less than two days until it arrives in theaters in Japan! -- here's the final trailer for Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF-nfaY_q0Q

I honestly dont wanna watch that video but Im looking forward to this movie more than almost anything else.

Usagi Drop 1

Welp my heart is warmed.

Good first episode. Sort of sad, but really sweet. I like the kinda simplistic watercolory art style. Daikichi seems like a likable dude and Rin is yeah see above. Kinda want to slap the rest of his family around a bit, but that's okay.

Congrats! Now continue watching one of the most heartwarming animes ever made!

Steins;Gate EP 12
Shit just got real and a major betrayal just occurred. Here I thought Suzu was supposed to be a warrior too. The first eleven episodes were slow, but I enjoyed watching budding friendships and the exchanges between Okabe and Kurisu. Mayuri's eyes freaked me out (girl looks soulless), but she was too good to be treated like that. Damn... fuck that traitor. I can't wait to see how this continues to develop now that the gears are really turning.

Congrats on the start of a wonderful anime.

This show will make your heart grow three times it's normal size.

Yup. Heeeeeere we gooooooo! :D

Hope youre ready for this ride.

jbug617

Banned
My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy 3

There has to be another name for this show. Episode begins with the conclusion of episode 2 and then we get the next quest. The quest conclusion was out there.
Who knew that the bodyguards would give the wrong girl the panties.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Boy 1

This is ridiculous. It's great.

That dub.

Golden Boy 2

This episode was a bit weaker but still pretty good. I like that even though he's an enormous pervert, Kintaro is basically a good guy.

This OVA is still one of the greatest things in all of anime. Youll love how they wrap it up in the end too. but in the meantime STUDY STUDY STUDY!
Also they created some very nice character designs in this show. Very nice indeed.
(and in case youre wondering, the boss lady in ep 1 was driving a Koenig Competition Evolution.)

Saikano 5

Uh wow, Shuuji you're getting really unhinged. Maybe less overtly so as Chise, but damn son.

Goddamn this shit is getting fucking dark.

Oh man....Are you sure youre prepared for this? dont watch too much at once. Im just warning you early. This show will tear your heart out and shit on it.
Chise is really really cute though.
Also watch the OVA if you can find it!

Usagi Drop 3

What no I didn't tear up a little at the nighttime talk I just have something in my eye shut up.

I have an adopted 5-year-old sister, so this series hits pretty close to home for me, minus the whole single parent thing obviously.

Anyway, glad to see the rest of the family warming up to Rin, and Daikichi starting to seriously restructure his life to care for her.

On the other hand this show will make your heart grow 3-5 times and you will find yourself bouncing and such. Happened to me, true story.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy 3

There has to be another name for this show. Episode begins with the conclusion of episode 2 and then we get the next quest. The quest conclusion was out there.
Who knew that the bodyguards would give the wrong girl the panties.

AniChart refers to the show as Noucome, so that might work for you.

cajunator

Banned
Weird no S3 announcements, but this will do just fine in the meantime.

I love your musical compositions AWESOMEBEAR.
Have you made any others recently? Theres a lot of visual artists, but I dont know nearly enough musical artists. Super megasquee ultra respect to you!

Hanasaku Iroha - Home Sweet Home

This movie really likes to use reflections to paint a scene:

This is a very interesting technique that isnt used enough in anime. At leasT I havent noticed it much. Maybe its more prevalent than I thought? Guess Ill keep an eye out for it being used in the future.

yay Golden Time tonight :D

Kokooooo
The feels are coming soon. I just know it.
Ahh this show is gonna make me squee so much!

Got my order shipment notification for the Little Witch Academia Bu-ray this morning. *Sits and waits for the package*

ME TOO! IM SO HAPPYYYYYYYYY

Yes, I need my weekly dose of Kaga.

SHE IS SO CUTE.
SOSOSOSOSO CUUUUUUTE!

*BOUNCES EVERYWHERE

HXH 100 - 101

Is it me, or HxH is the unsung work, one of the finest anime of the last two years? Great adaptation of a great manga, very solid execution and production values maintained by 100+ episodes.
But there is barely any comments of it in this thread (I know it has a separate thread on OT, but still...).

The last two episodes had several action scenes, some nice animation, tense moments, politics, several characters plotlines interwoven, intriguing new powers, new characters, and some light hearted scenes. All expertly paced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom