• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Uchouten Kazoku 3

1rXeIKWl.png
Lvbr6hy.png

I get so engrossed in this I find myself unaware of the running time outside of the eyecatch. Really like how the story is being presented as well. There's so many things being presented (enigmatic Benten, the old tengu, brothers' relationship with one another, the legacy of the lost father, the tanuki family rivalry, etc) that I find myself really looking forward to seeing how the various elements begin to intersect with one another and the results thereof.

Uchouten Kazoku 4

I feel like saying this was more of the same would unfortunately come across is damning wtih faint praise but when the quality persists as it does, Icouldn't ask for anything more. The whole mid-air battle between the families gave me that rare Ghibli feel I sometimes I get with non-Ghibli stuff.

Uchouten Kazoku 5

Didn't think the Friday Fellows would set some spotlight nor would they be so likeable. The whole tanuki hot pot thing creeps me out for some reason. Maybe because it's presented as such a matter of fact thing that's just accepted as part of tradition.

Uchouten Kazoku 6

A good glimpse of Benten and an amazing look at Yasaburo's father. I can't help but admire him more myself with every bit I learn about the guy. There's something about Kaisei too that's intriguing. Might be how she's presented as always concealed as opposed to Benten after every bit of spotlight she can handle.

Gatchaman Crowds 10

Kinda feel bad I had some doubts about this show in the middle episodes. Seems like the subversion of the team of heroes stuff was shoved aside from an embrace this episode. That ending scene with
the team finally assembled
put a dumb fucking grin on my face.

Gatchman Crowds 11

Kinda torn on this as opening up with clips is sort of a downer. On other hand, getting in the head of the rest of the team is really nice and helps put Hajime's character in perspective. Did like how the recovery of X resulted in the empowerment of the people in general again rather than overreliance on the heroes. Damn clever on Berg-Katze's part
to offer Crowds to everyone on GALAX
. It makes me think of Uncle Ben's final words of wisdom to Peter Parker.

Gatchaman Crowds 12

Jesus Christ, OD. Short as it may be, that was a throwdown. Turning Berg-Katze's ploy against him was neat too. It helped make this 3 episode encounter or whatever feel like a tennis or chess match what with the countering of one another's next move.

--

Final Thoughts: Yeah, I liked this more than I thought I would at the end which is strange given how much I enjoyed it early on. Only have two things to comment on really.

First, I really liked Hajime's character. I think she's somewhat unfairly maligned for her role but I really like the savant notion someone put forth awhile back. Everyone (often including the viewer) is left to catch up with her as she figures things out at a breakneck speed she never slows from. She reminds me somewhat of a disruptive gamechanger character that might turn a show upside down if she was brought in later and upended the status quo. As it's presented though, we, as viewers, are brought into matters with Hajime herself at the beginning and I think that sort of skews perception into Mary Sue territory.

Second, in the end I thought the Gatchaman iconography and callbacks were neat but not entirely necessary as something original could have easily been
established within continuity. The name, however, is where I think using Gatchaman was the most valuable as the pedigree set standards and expectations such that the subversion could come into play immediately rather than relying on any sort of setup.

Great show though. Not when I would sell to others as an action show but it's great at exploring the influence of social media and the notion of heroism.

Rozen Maiden (2013) 10

Conversation between Juns was nice but somewhat highlights how much the doll stuff pales in comparison to Jun drama. Wasn't too happy with the beginning with all the posturing between the Rozen Maidens until Jun was forced to make a choice regarding a contract as it seemed like he had slipped into a passive observer role to start the ep.

Rozen Maiden (2013) 11

It's as if subordinate Jun and domineering Kirakisho were on the same scale throughout the show and I got to witness the scale tip back in Jun's favor as he finally asserted himself while she was at her lowest pitiful point. Couldn't think of a more depressing ending as
the now defeated Jun stares at Shinku's descontructed form and Suigintou was screaming denial about Souseiki's sacrifice

Rozen Maiden (2013) 12

q6VKFw6l.png

Based Kanaria

dem goodbyes. Curious as to what the final episode will entail given this seemed like closure enough for the show.

Rozen Maiden (2013) 13

Hmm, was a little irritated that 12 wasn't closure for the Rozen Maiden storyline and 13 just closure to adult Jun's story but hey,
that call from Souseseki and Suiseiseki was adorable
. I suppose his encounter with the Rozen Maidens did more than just change him and has now become a part of him.

--

Final Thoughts: Not much past hoping Hatakeyama eventually gets to do something original with his talent. Baseless assumption on my part as I haven't read the manga but I've a feeling he elevated the source material past its station and made it something special. It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when he gets total control on a project.

Gazoinks

Log Horizon 4

I hope Nyanta stays as a permanent party member, he's a cool guy even if his fighting stance is really weird. Anyway, this was another good episode. The PVP fights in this series have been really good so far, and I hope there's a bunch of them going forward. Looks like we've maybe got a recurring villain with the mage, too. Still no hint of a real overall plot, but I'm okay with that because what has been happening has been a lot of fun.

Defuser

Log Horizon ep 4
Now this is how MMO battles should be play out and not that SAO trash. This really have a good grasp of battle concepts being put into creative use.

Too bad, we finally have a decent MMO anime show but no one gives a shit but a bad MMO show like SAO gets all the attention.

cnet128

Banned
Serara bring the :cajun in Log Horizon.

That almost makes me want to pick this show back up. But no. I will resist.

Kill la Kill 4

Well, I think we have our final proof that this show is just a dirty Gurren Lagann ripoff. It even copied the bizarre fourth episode with the freakish animation downgrade.

I loved episode 4 of Gurren Lagann and this episode was AMAZING.

cajunator

Banned
If would someone could track me down a pair of those long sold out Strike Witches boxers I would gladly browse AnimeGAF any and every time I wore them.

I just looked on ebay on a whim and while I didnt see what you were looking for, Ebay seems to be targeting me as an otaku. IT KNOWS.

Gazoinks

So how exactly does the titling of the Kara no Kyoukai movies work? Garden of Sinners is a subtitle, yes? But then each movie is also subtitled. So would the full way of writing the title of the first movie in English be Borderline of Emptiness: Garden of Sinners: Overlooking View? Does Garden of Sinners just replace the Japanese title despite meaning something different? I be confused. >.>

I think I'm overthinking this...

Narag

So how exactly does the titling of the Kara no Kyoukai movies work? Garden of Sinners is a subtitle, yes? But then each movie is also subtitled. So would the full way of writing the title of the first movie in English be Borderline of Emptiness: Garden of Sinners: Overlooking View? Does Garden of Sinners just replace the Japanese title despite meaning something different? I be confused. >.>

Thought Garden of Sinners was the localized title.

Silky

Banned
Honestly, I preffered episode 3 over this, but by all means it's a great continuation. Nyanta's pretty much the new member of the group after this; a swarthy swashbuckling cat swordsman. Love it.

The battles are extremely entertaining. informative and fast paced; kinda like YGO in a sense.

If anything, LH is cemented as my #2 anime so far.

Pretty sure Garden of Sinners is what Aniplex (or whoever) called them when they localized it. Also I should really get to those last two movies.

Gazoinks

Thought Garden of Sinners was the localized title.

That was my impression too, it's just weird that Kara no Kyoukai apparently translates to something completely different. Also Wikipedia describes it as subtitled as Garden of Sinners but that's Wikipedia so I dunno.

cnet128

Banned
That was my impression too, it's just weird that Kara no Kyoukai apparently translates to something completely different. Also Wikipedia describes it as subtitled as Garden of Sinners but that's Wikipedia so I dunno.

"The Garden of Sinners" is definitely a gratuitous English subtitle in the Japanese releases. It looks like Aniplex are treating it as the primary title in their localised releases.

rpmurphy

Same here most likely. Wednesday or Thursday it will probably arrive. Ill be off work so squee!
I think I lied, because the delivery guy dropped it off just after I posted! It's a miracle!

I guess EMS tracking didn't update the status... although typically I expect packages to be delivered 2 days after it arrives in the US.

IS S2 4 - Best episode so far! Sure, that's a low bar to clear, but it is true. Most of this episode is basically a long fight between the main characters (all seven of them, Russia included) and two villain girls. One of the villains has an IS
much like Britain's
, which really messes with her head. The other is basically a spider IS. The spider-IS villain is violent and kind of nuts, while the other one is the quiet one
who wants revenge on Chifuyu for some as-yet-unspecified reason. They also have a boss who we see at the end of the episode; not sure of much about her

The action in the episode is decently done. Some things don't really make sense, most notably why Germany, France, and Japan don't go to help Ichika after being told by Chifuyu to go help Ichika; I have to assume that in between Russia showed up and told them that she'd do it, which she did do. But that's not shown, which was confusing. IS does that kind of thing all the time (and in S1 too of course), but still, they could do better.

Also, Russia is such a good troll... best girl of the show this season so far for sure!
And that ending, with her ending up with the crown and thus becoming Ichika's new roommate... yeah, I saw that coming. :)
Her IS's powers, though, that was kind of surprising!
Nanobot water? Really? None of the others have anything like that... interesting. And kind of overpowered. Spider-IS girl went down fast, once Russia showed up. Well, once she got done with trolling villain girl some, of course.
I wonder, at the end did she let the villains get away, or was there some other reason she didn't make a serious attempt to stop them? Well, since this is a series they had to get away there, but any reason other than that? :p Overall though, okay episode.

Tokyo Ravens 4 - This is a manga adaptation, and it's a mediocre adaptation of an average-at-best manga about some highschool students who are attending an onmyou (traditional Japanese magic) academy, in a world where such magic is real. And yeah, another mediocre episode, just like the previous ones? How (not so) surprising! Tokyo Ravens is average, and the awful CG is quite distracting, but still, overall it's not THAT bad. In this episode, Harutora (the main character) and Natsume (female lead with strong magic powers and who likes the MC but of course she won't tell him that and he's too clueless to know -- yes, it hits all those stereotypes) go try to stop villain girl from resurrecting her brother with a banned spell. The long fight in the episode would be better with better CG, for sure. As is, it's average at best.
Luckily, since this is not a "dark" series, villain girl survives the episode, even though the offered her life in the spell... the main characters stop it before she died. I presume then she was picked up by the onmyou police, giving up after failing to properly resurrect her dead brother.
Even if it was average, though, I will keep watching for the moment at least; this is an alright series. Also, this was the final episode of the opening arc. Starting next episode, they finally get started at school, and the real main story begins at last... not that it's going to be better than this, for those who dislike the show, but it does change a bit. Anyway, Tokyo Ravens is not a good series, but it's not awful either, and it is watchable. Also, while Harutora is a generic annoying clueless anime lead (who's not good at schoolwork, doesn't recognize that a girl likes him, etc.), the other characters are better...

And on that note, this episode ended with Toji and Natsume trolling Harutora's romance-stupidity pretty hard... and Toji has an edge on Natsume now, too.
Honestly though, I don't quite get why Natsume is unwilling to tell Harutora that that summon was hers... she wants to keep it a secret. Sure, she doesn't want to tell him she likes him, obviously, but still, it's kind of silly. Ah well. Anime will be anime.
That last scene was amusing though, even if it was quite stupid when you think about it. :)

NouKome 1-3 - I tried episode 1... and then ended up watching all three episodes in a row. Is that a good thing? Well, yes and no: episodes 1 and 2 were alright, but 3 was pretty bad. This is a mediocre harem comedy series where the twist is that multiple choice (two possible answer) questions appear in the MC's head, and he must choose one of the two options, and do it immediately. This results in him doing all kind of silly things at school and has gotten him into a grouping of 5 weird people. The other four are probably girls, but only two are in the series so far.

The first two episodes mostly focus on this white-haired girl who sits behind the MC. She is by far the best thing about this series so far, and it'd have been better with just her (and maybe girl #2 as well), I think... but unfortunately this harem series needs more characters, so that's why episode 3 (and surely more like it) had to exist. Too bad. But yeah, white-haired girl is quite amusing.
I don't really know why she was crying at the end of ep. 2, though... I imagine they might get to that sometime.
Girl #2 is kind of crazy. She's okay I guess. But yeah, thanks to focusing on the MC and this girl, the first two episodes were mostly good. The part where the MC was turned into a girl for ten seconds was really stupid, both because it was so short (did he have to get turned back so fast?) and because of his reaction (completely freaking out and begging to get turned back this second), but overall, there were enough decent parts to keep watching for sure.

The third episode, though, focuses on a third girl, who is girl #2's friend. Naturally she is bad with boys, but the MC must see her panties; see if he does "missions" like that one he'll move towards getting rid of those "questions" he's forced to act out. It's a stupid, negatively stereotyped episode that really wasn't any good at all. If the series continues with more of this, I'll probably not keep watching...

Polar Bear Cafe 21

Panda expands his horizons a bit.... with different job positions. What I loved about the first half was that every time someone does Panda's job, they do it better than he could ever do it. He's lucky that visitors don't call him on being inferior. That and Llama finally got the spotlight he wanted.

Second half.... oh Handa, you're beyond salvation.

CorvoSol

Do you guys ever feel like just stopping watching new stuff or stuff that's new to you and rewatching old favorites? Cuz that's me today. I look at Angel Cop and Dual! and Panda Cafe and I'm like.

"Yeah or I could rewatch FMP, G Gundam and Utena. I mean it's been like 3 months, right? Time to do it again."

Narag

My little list for 2013 says Gatchaman Crowds was the first tv series I finished since Gargantia. Time sure gets away from a person.

Do you guys ever feel like just stopping watching new stuff or stuff that's new to you and rewatching old favorites? Cuz that's me today. I look at Angel Cop and Dual! and Panda Cafe and I'm like.

"Yeah or I could rewatch FMP, G Gundam and Utena. I mean it's been like 3 months, right? Time to do it again."

I'm actually more guilty of going back to those old (and still airing ) shows to rewatch my favorite parts ad nauseam. Rewatched the ending of G Gundam a couple times yesterday, Jojo vs Wham, the Build Fighters OP a thousand times, etc.

cajunator

Banned

I do this all the time. I watch/rewatch older favorites on disc way more often due to being able to marathon and bring it over to friends houses to watch it with them. I was rewatching Tari Tari and AKB0048 for example, as well as just restarted Kokoro Connect. Just finished up Tsuritama again too. probably one of my recent favorites. This is why my backlog just keeps growing.

Well I did rewatch Nichijou a while back when I was having tech problems. And I kinda rewatched a bit of Kiniro Mosaic as well.

cnet128

Banned
Polar Bear Cafe 21

Panda expands his horizons a bit.... with different job positions. What I loved about the first half was that every time someone does Panda's job, they do it better than he could ever do it. He's lucky that visitors don't call him on being inferior.

But Panda's real job is making Rinrin squee, and nobody can do that as well as Panda can.

...With the possible exception of Panda's family.

santeesioux

I'm one of those people that finishes something and moves on to the next thing, although there are some shows i want to re-watch eventually (I'm looking at you, Toradora!).

cajunator

Banned
I'm one of those people that finishes something and moves on to the next thing, although there are some shows i want to re-watch eventually (I'm looking at you, Toradora!).

I do this occasionally, if its really great to me. The most Ill sit through in one go though is a 24-26 episode series.

cnet128

Banned
Golden Time 4

Oh shit, some serious progress on multiple fronts this episode, and it was handled really well. I think I may be saying this every episode, but the chemistry between Banri and Kouko continues to be pretty amazing.

Also, that scene with the three guys writing to each other in a notebook during lectures gave me massive flashbacks to my own first year of uni. NATSUKASHIIIII.

santeesioux

I do this occasionally, if its really great to me. The most Ill sit through in one go though is a 24-26 episode series.

Yeah, i can't watch those 500 episode Shonen shows. Was watching Naruto one episode a week on Toonami, then tried to watch like one a day on Crunchyroll and it just didn't click with me that way, had to drop it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
xE8Epew.gif

:lol there's a pre-1980 achievement on MALgraph now. aw yeah.

VHS Master Race

Awarded for watching 10+ old anime - that is, titles that finished airing in 1980 at most.

"You overwrote my cartoons with The Karate Kid?! MOOOM!"

I was expecting to get this for watching Bebop, nothing else, and calling all anime made after 1990 shit. (Which is a stupid thought, now that i think about it). That said, i don't really have any pre-1980 shows watched. :/

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, i can't watch those 500 episode Shonen shows. Was watching Naruto one episode a week on Toonami, then tried to watch like one a day on Crunchyroll and it just didn't click with me that way, had to drop it.

I still have no idea how people do this. Its unfathomable.

My MALGraph achievement for 100+ slice of slice of life shows may or may not be my biggest accomplishment in life.

I dont have a single achievement on MAL Graph lol.

Got home late yesterday so after I finished episodes I didn't have the energy to put up impressions. Here it goes.

Infinite Stratos 2 04

I'm slowly becoming Team Russia. She seems to be getting the most attention out of all the girls and is the most direct with Ichika. France what's going on, come on!

Strike the Blood 04

I'm glad the show didn't go in the direction I thought it was going last episode. Reminds me of a combination of Campione and Toaru Majutsu No Index. Relationship between protagonists is really sweet, I hope it keeps up. One of the nicer surprises this season.

Yuusha Ni Narena.. bleh 04

Hmmm. This episode wasn't very good tbh. Sure pervert Picard came back, but there wasn't much character development or serious moments, just goofy store hijinks.

Outbreak Company 04

There wasn't enough Maid-san in this episode. She's best girl. Also a school where they teach you otaku words? Not as funny as it could have been.

Will post my impressions of Log Horizon, White Album 2 and Freezing Vitittybration later

cajunator

Banned
Got home late yesterday so after I finished episodes I didn't have the energy to put up impressions. Here it goes.

Infinite Stratos 2 04

I'm slowly becoming Team Russia. She seems to be getting the most attention out of all the girls and is the most direct with Ichika. France what's going on, come on!

Strike the Blood 04

I'm glad the show didn't go in the direction I thought it was going last episode. Reminds me of a combination of Campione and Toaru Majutsu No Index. Relationship between protagonists is really sweet, I hope it keeps up. One of the nicer surprises this season.

Yuusha Ni Narena.. bleh 04

Hmmm. This episode wasn't very good tbh. Sure pervert Picard came back, but there wasn't much character development or serious moments, just goofy store hijinks.

Outbreak Company 04

There wasn't enough Maid-san in this episode. She's best girl. Also a school where they teach you otaku words? Not as funny as it could have been.

Will post my impressions of Log Horizon, White Album 2 and Freezing Vitittybration later

Charles is just really shy. she has no hope to compete for Ichika with Russia. however shes still best girl easily.

Polar Bear Cafe 22

FINALLY, Sasako reached the same conclusion I did when it came to the Penkos!

But more importantly, the first half gels well with the second half considering the other Penguin species returned, which meant "WE MUST TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPECIES, NO MATTER HOW SMALL THE DIFFERENCE IS". And Mr. Penguin had to get thrown under the bus as per usual. Those baby penguins are adorable though!

But more importantly, Penguin still can't tell the difference between the Penkos, so the ribbon strategy was fine! But even I didn't account for a fatal flaw here......

Them changing the color of the ribbons ._.

Oh well, the news here is that Penguin is the only one who has a harem.

Articalys

Quick alert for those across the pond: MVM just licensed Familiar of Zero seasons 1-3 for the UK.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/394172926645121024

This is another strong indicator that Sentai has or will soon have them as well.

They also announced a lot of other stuff that was already licensed in the U.S. (Girls und Panzer, Infinite Stratos S1, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, From the New World, etc.), along with Manga UK picking up a few things like Evangelion 3.0 and Psycho-Pass, so check out this news wrapup for more:

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/MCM_London_Comic_Con_October_2013_anime_licensing_round-up.html

I still have no idea how people do this. Its unfathomable.

I don't know how it was possible for me, but I was able to watch all 175 episodes of Fairy Tail. It just sucked me in. I think it was mainly the comedy that occurred during the first eight episodes that got me hooked. That and the music was amazing.

I do rewatches all the time, usually on a yearly basis but also if I need a pick-me-up from life things.

Gazoinks

White Album 2 4

Next in our line of shows that have no right to be as good as they are... Shower scenes. Well, I guess you've got to meet your fanservice quotas somehow. Otherwise this was still a pretty good episode. Looks like we've got some vague feelings developing amongst the triangle. Touma's becoming more likable, which is good. What was in the notebook?

Love triangle drama next time? Eeeeh. I do hope this series doesn't go too far into melodrama. I like the more mellow tone, and I like the interaction between the trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom