• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari SS 17 (Onimonogatari 1)

Well, it seems vaguely appropriate, after Mayoi barely appeared in her own arc and Shinobu got all the screentime instead, that in the first episode of Shinobu's arc Mayoi should steal almost all the screentime. You won't see me complaining about more Mayoi content, that's for sure.

What you might see from me is a certain amount of seething envy, since Araragi was certainly making the most of his loli harem in this episode. In the space of a single episode he managed to:

- have Mayoi cling tightly onto him for an extended period, pressing her entire body up against him in the most adorable and delicious fashion
- look up Mayoi's skirt while she was unconscious
- get kissed full on the lips by Ononoki
- kiss Shinobu passionately on the lips of his own accord

That's a lot of loli action right there. Even if one of the lolis involved is a corpse, one has been dead for eleven years, and one is more than 600 years old.

And the only price he paid for all this loli action was a cheap bicycle (that's the second bike he's lost, incidentally, since his mountain bike was destroyed by Kanbaru back in Bake. Poor Araragi really doesn't have much luck with dem bicycles.)

Anyway, this arc seems intriguing so far. Looking forward to finding out more about this strange new phenomenon and/or Shinobu's past.

Gazoinks

The Eccentric Family 02

Spending time with the whole family now, I like all of them. The Ebisugawa twins suck, but at least their sister is nice. The ending was saddish.

What is the story with Benten and the Friday Fellows. Wazzup with them.

Articalys

Huh. Wonder what this is.

Studio Khara Produces 'Peaceful Times(F02)petit film'
The official blog for Khara's Evangelion film series announced on Friday that the studio is producing "Peaceful Times(F02)petit film" and will debut it in mid-November. Evangelion director Hideaki Anno is supervising, Mahiro Maeda and Shinji Higuchi are directing and storyboarding, and Shiro Sagisu is providing the music. Voice actress Megumi Hayashibara will narrate the film.
As the article also points out, the name of the short music track used for the Evangelion Final preview at the end of 3.0 was also called "Peaceful Times".

Mature

Huh. Wonder what this is.

Studio Khara Produces 'Peaceful Times (F02) petit film'

As the article also points out, the name of the short music track used for the Evangelion Final preview at the end of 3.0 was also called "Peaceful Times".
Huh, neat. Is there any indication that this is even Evangelion related outside of the chorus name? The Rebuild films desperately need a narrative sweep up by something like this. Well, even if it isn't, I'm hopeful with those names.

Articalys

Huh, neat. Is there any indication that this is even Evangelion related outside of the chorus name? The Rebuild films desperately need a narrative sweep up by something like this. Well, even if it isn't, I'm hopeful with those names.
Well, it was posted on the official Evangelion 3.0 blog. The only other running theory is that it might have something to do with Shiro Sagisu's new original music album that's releasing in early November, since Maeda provided illustrations for the cover art and it also has a version of "Peaceful Times" on the tracklist.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The talk about TOEI doing a kind of "Sailor PreCure" type thing reminded me of this crossover art someone had done.

tumblr_mrf4uqY9ND1qe8we7o1_500.jpg
yJszsqC.jpg

Good things don't end in -pocalypse. (Apparently they end in -mania or -teria.)
It's very much a joke. It's a good thing that many could claim is a bad thing, but they'd be wrong.

I thought I was posting regularly enough but it doesn't really seem like much by threads end at 20 000 posts and being at about 40 currently.
Normally the thread moves so fast there's always a ton of posts between visits, but that hasn't been as true of late.

Normally the thread moves so fast there's always a ton of posts between visits, but that hasn't been as true of late.

....actually now that you mention it, we would've been in the next thread, but we haven't even hit page 300 yet. Although... considering we started a week late, maybe we're on schedule???

Monogatari S2 - 17

Monogatari does this almost perfecty , do a lot with less ...and while the battle of lolis was harsh and unforgiving , shinobu does retain her first place despite the fierce attack by ononoki.

I mean is there any doubt that shinobu is the best character of this show ?

duckroll

Well, it was posted on the official Evangelion 3.0 blog. The only other running theory is that it might have something to do with Shiro Sagisu's new original music album that's releasing in early November, since Maeda provided illustrations for the cover art and it also has a version of "Peaceful Times" on the tracklist.

Interestingly enough, it is stated that it is produced by P Production and made by Studio Khara. P Production is a really old production company which doesn't really do much work anymore. It was founded by the now departed Tomio Sagisu, and the company as it exists now is headed by.... his son Shiro Sagisu.

ANN also neglects to mention that Maeda isn't directing the entire thing himself. He shares directorial and storyboard credits with Shinji Higuchi. Which might or might not indicate that it is not entirely comprised of animation, since Higuchi also tackles a lot of live action special effects and direction work.

Articalys

Interestingly enough, it is stated that it is produced by P Production and made by Studio Khara. P Production is a really old production company which doesn't really do much work anymore. It was founded by the now departed Tomio Sagisu, and the company as it exists now is headed by.... his son Shiro Sagisu.

ANN also neglects to mention that Maeda isn't directing the entire thing himself. He shares directorial and storyboard credits with Shinji Higuchi. Which might or might not indicate that it is not entirely comprised of animation, since Higuchi also tackles a lot of live action special effects and direction work.
So... does the involvement of P Production make it more likely to involve Sagisu's album, or what?

Monogatari SS 17 (Onimonogatari 1)

Well, it seems vaguely appropriate, after Mayoi barely appeared in her own arc and Shinobu got all the screentime instead, that in the first episode of Shinobu's arc Mayoi should steal almost all the screentime. You won't see me complaining about more Mayoi content, that's for sure.

What you might see from me is a certain amount of seething envy, since Araragi was certainly making the most of his loli harem in this episode. In the space of a single episode he managed to:

- have Mayoi cling tightly onto him for an extended period, pressing her entire body up against him in the most adorable and delicious fashion
- look up Mayoi's skirt while she was unconscious
- get kissed full on the lips by Ononoki
- kiss Shinobu passionately on the lips of his own accord

That's a lot of loli action right there. Even if one of the lolis involved is a corpse, one has been dead for eleven years, and one is more than 600 years old.

And the only price he paid for all this loli action was a cheap bicycle (that's the second bike he's lost, incidentally, since his mountain bike was destroyed by Kanbaru back in Bake. Poor Araragi really doesn't have much luck with dem bicycles.)

Anyway, this arc seems intriguing so far. Looking forward to finding out more about this strange new phenomenon and/or Shinobu's past.
I'm looking forward to seeing this on SOS.

Gazoinks

The Garden of Sinners Movie 1: Overlooking View

This was kind of confusing because of the complete lack of context for a lot of stuff, but it was good. The stuff that was clear was interesting, and it certainly looked really nice. Good action scene in the middle too. Definitely was a bit reminiscent of F/Z in tone, art, and talkyness.

Ufotable really love their brooding grey-eyed pupil-less protagonists.

LordCanti

Samurai Flamenco 03

Yessssssss. This was the incredible level of rampant stupidity I'd been hoping for since episode 01 (or, to be specific, after I realized this wasn't the show we thought it'd be).

The music is still bad (OP/ED excluded), the production values are still in the shitter, and the plot is still kind of dumb but....

I laughed. God help me.

Kaname is basically Mr.Satan right? Right.

Kuroko no Basket 2 04

Man, the match was pretty intense from the get-go.

Though, kinda think they'll lose this just to get to that grudge match in the third match between the new guy and Kiyoshi.

Articalys

I guess that's what happens when you change the characters to ones you don't give a shit about.
To compare the series history:
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes *1,171+*4,915=*6,086 (6) (J.C. Staff)

Blu-ray:
2011/01/19 *5,861 Vol. 1
02/25 *5,458 Vol. 2
03/16 *4,813 Vol. 3
04/29 *4,559 Vol. 4
05/27 *4,427 Vol. 5
06/24 *4,366 Vol. 6

DVD:
2011/01/19 *1,785 Vol. 1 (One episode)
02/25 *1,392 Vol. 2 (Two episodes up to Vol. 5)
03/16 **,818 Vol. 3
04/29 *1,044 Vol. 4
05/27 *1,020 Vol. 5
06/24 **,963 Vol. 6 (Three episodes)
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Dainimaku *1,554 (6) (J.C. Staff)

Blu-ray:
2012/03/21 *2,353 Vol. 1 (One episode)
04/27 *1,460 Vol. 2 (Two episodes up to Vol. 5)
05/25 *1,370 Vol. 3
06/29 *1,340 Vol. 4
07/27 **,*** Vol. 5
08/24 *1,247 Vol. 6 (Three episodes)
So it had already cratered hard even between the first and second seasons.

Nafe

That sound you hear is Hitokage yelling "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Haha, I guess that's close enough.

It's very much a joke. It's a good thing that many could claim is a bad thing, but they'd be wrong.

Oh, I realize it was just a joke. My response was just a simple play off joke from that.

I don't know if I'd say it's a positive just because the film has the presence of "furry" type characters but it also seems silly to think that it's inherently bad just because it has the presence of such characters.

It's kind of hit and miss for my reading habits. Sometimes I'm surprised theirs only been a one or two page advancement since my last visit and other times it seems to be the usual five or six or so.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, I guess that's close enough.
Speaking of which, Magical Girl Pretty Sammy quickly shot up the rankings when I got around to it. Like Sailor Moon but even more self-aware.

Oh, I realize it was just a joke. My response was just a simple play off joke from that.

I don't know if I'd say it's a positive just because the film has the presence of "furry" type characters but it also seems silly to think that it's inherently bad just because it has the presence of such characters.
Which is really the point. Just having fun with it. Either way, it's a great film.

cajunator

Banned
And Animeigo(well, unless their Bubblegum Crises Bluray Kickstarter works). And Nozomi/Rightstuf. And Discotek/Easternstar.

:(

Well yeah the small companies naturally cant afford to but Aniplex?

That sound you hear is Hitokage yelling "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

well this seems cute enough. Whats wrong with it?

could be worse

1378413270782uhszi.png

On the other hand, NO

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gah.

I suppose I should not be surprised that my Chihaya/Arata shipping desires will not be met. Par for the course with me.
To be fair, I don't think the author is all that interested in ships anyway. :p

---

Another "Japan is doomed" documentary, and of course the focused on male nerds:
W6Sqfb6l.png

CIy7037l.png

g7Ehs5ol.png

I guess that explains all the high school based anime. :p
(I wonder if I should be surprised or not that people are still playing Love Plus on the original DS).

Also, when they went to go show the dangers of Akiba and the Japanese male obsession with creepy high school girls, they showed this:
9ATGSTHl.png

lol

Funny enough, they ended the show by talking to a Filipino nurse and all he could say was how the Japanese have an insane and pointless work ethic. Perhaps zeroshiki can identify with that sentiment.

We Are Feathers 10-11 - I didn't cover these back when I watched them, so I guess I should say a few words. They went about as expected, and were kind of uninteresting and not very good, as with every episode of this series. In ep. 10, Feathers Black goes through her stupid, nonsensical (I'll return to this point later in my ep. 12 review) "I'm evil now because of jealousy" phase, which of course is over by the end of the episode thanks to the power of friendship over jealousy etc. And in ep. 11, villain boy tries to
give up, but the two child members of Colors the Phantom hijack the organization and decide to blow up a magic bomb over Yokohama in order to make villain boy [White's brother, remember] happy, or something.
Basically they're crazy, heroes must stop the crazy villains,
and the "main villain"'s underling is the actual villain. How cliche.
'. The plot couldn't be any more predictable, or much less interesting. But when you're dealing with bad anime, is it any surprise that it continues to be lame, cliche, boring, and all-around no good? And yet I kept hoping that maybe at least ONE episode of this would be good, since the first two seasons of Milky Holmes were, most of the time!

However...

vlcsnap-2013-10-27-01f2spg.jpg

What happened to Hercule's face? The artists clearly put about as much effort into this as the writers and director(s) did!

We Are Feathers 12 - FINALLY, the last episode! Yes, I finally managed to force myself to watch this last episode of Milky Holmes Feathers, the tremendously disappointing Milky Holmes spinoff.

Unfortunately, the final episode, unlike the two seasons of Milky Holmes, was not an improvement over the rest of the season. Quite the opposite, this episode was one of the worst of the entire season. When even the scenes with Milky Holmes in them are bad, you know you have a total failure of an episode... and it ends what might be the last season of the franchise? It's really unfortunate. :( First, the art and animation were mediocre at best, as they have been through the series. See the shot above for an example of that. And don't bother asking for any of the parts with interesting, varied art styles (the Cordelia with flower stuff, etc.), as you see in the original two seasons of the anime, either -- you won't find them, not once. Just generic, subpar art, beginning to end. And remember, episodes are only 12 minutes, not 24. This must have had no budget... but sadly, the writing is probably even worse than the art, as hard as that may be to believe.

Essentially, this episode wraps everything up pretty much exactly as expected. The Feathers girls save the day, get accepted to the same detective academy as Milky Holmes and are accepted as detectives, the villains aren't punished at all (though Colors the Phantom does break up), etc. Yes, this means that
villain girl who's posing as a police officer is still there; the twin children who almost blow up Yokohama in this episode are entirely unpunished for their actions; and the other villains, including the ones who had been caught and escaped, apparently are all free now and if anyone cares teh episode doesn't suggest it.
Ugh! Talk about not enough closure... I'm not expecting MUCH, but come on, there's less here than either of the original seasons of Milky Holmes. Of course though, those were great, interesting series, while this was a tedious waste of time, but still, they could at least have ended it better.

On another note, the whole plotline about Feathers Black second-guessing herself because people all think Feathers White is referenced again here, but makes as little sense as ever; White can't get much done without Black around because of how their powers are complimentary, after all. That entire plotline never made much sense.
And the conclusion to it? They beat the ball of force about to destroy Yokohama by doing a combo attack against it, then you get the "ending" as described above.
That's it. Maybe she's happy now because Milky Holmes and such acknowledged both of their abilities? But as I said, the entire idea never made sense to begin with, so the "ending" to that point doesn't work either. That's not good, when it's the main bit of drama in the series.

Finally, Opera makes a cameo appearance. Ugh. Why did they HAVE to remind us at the end that things exist where the Milky Holmes girls all say how much they like self-insert-protagonist teacher guy (from the PSP games and Alternative OVAs)? He should not exist! I don't mind them having a teacher, it's the creepy "they all like him" element that I absolutely hate. On the other hand, Arsene and her underlings make a very short cameo at the end, their only one of the series. It was nice to see them, I guess. Certainly doesn't justify this series, or episode, in any way, though.

So, overall, episode 12 was a bad episode with no real redeeming qualities. The fight was mediocre -- the enemies barely put up a fight, honestly. Yes, this show makes its fights as boring as everything else usually is. It was not competitive. The villains were not properly punished at the end, despite the seriousness of the final threat. At least one villain is still entirely unrevealed (that is, the cast don't know about them yet, though the audience does) -- a sequel hook for a sequel now unlikely to happen, I expect, since this series was not well received, it seems. At least once in a while Japan has decent taste. We Are Feathers (aka Futari Wa Milky Holmes) as a whole, was a tediously dull, serially subpar disappointment with no legitimately good episodes and very few memorable moments. I'm not sure if this is worse than Milky Holmes Alternative or not, overall, since that was awful for a mostly separate set of reasons, but neither one is any good..

For my final thought on the series though, I want to try to say something good about the main two characters. I don't dislike the Feathers girls just because they are the main characters and not Milky Holmes. That's a big part of the problem, but the bigger issue is that they are just so boring! With much better writing and character concepts this series, and those two characters, maybe could have been something -- say, a series about Milky Holmes, with full-length episodes and the comedic focus of the original two seasons, and with them in some occasional role and new up-and-coming detectives who look(ed) up to Milky Holmes. That could have worked fine. Feathers White's concept of a dedicated detective from a family of thieves isn't bad, and with competent writing maybe Black's self-doubt could have worked too. Unfortunately, neither they nor anything else in this series had good writing, nor good direction, art, or anything else, so they didn't work, but that doesn't mean that some other Milky Holmes thing with these girls in it couldn't have; it could have. This, however, failed badly, sadly. And it is sad, and quite a waste too. :(

This, however, did not. At all. The first two seasons were such good, fun, high quality comedy animes, seeing the series devolve into generic subpar action-anime irrelevancy like this has not been fun, to say the least. And that's really why this was so bad, and so disappointing.

Oh, I forgot to mention this before, but the extended sales lists provided numbers for volume 1 week 1 of Futari wa Milky Holmes. A miserable 441 for Blu-ray, and an unknown quantity below 349 for DVD.
At least this means we will hopefully not see any more of this... if it returns, make it about Milky Holmes again or don't make it at all.

Gazoinks

Inferno Cop 3-13

There are words but I don't have them.

This was....something.

A masterpiece among masterpieces. An enduring legend of our times. Deeper than Lain, more heartbreaking than Clannad, better animated than Fate/Zero, Inferno Cop is a masterpiece not just of the medium, but of humanity as a whole.

CorvoSol

Well I just started AA5. All it took was for Pokemon Y to randomly eject from the damn slot.

I just put X to the side and said "FEENIE NEEDS ME!"

lol you guys have it easy , not only i'm on AAI2 ( before i start AA5 ) but i was forced to restart GTA5 from zero because my save got corrupted during the 1.02 update...i only lost 48 hours of gameplay :(

At least you get to play AAI2. The demo was so good, but I had to put it down after finishing it.

This is why I can't take them seriously as threats at all. They're the equivalent of Walkers in TWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom