• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I read all the ojamajo posts including spoilers so I pretty much know what the show is like. Hooray for watching vicariously through others impressions!

CorvoSol

Should have done Godot, Trite.

Nick's hair was hard enough to do.

Reminds me, we don't have a pumpkin :( Then again... I've established that knives are best left out of my hands

Please go in a corner and think about what you two said.

That I drew a wolfman violating a small girl on a pumpkin to screw with you?

moral of the story, never buy black pads

I tend to not buy pads at all.

Holy shit Neo Mexico is a giant fucking sombrero

Mexico emigrated the majority of its population on to a giant floating sombrero in space

G Gundam

Best Gundam series ever made.

Has anyone here seen coyote ragtime show? The MAL description makes it sound like something I could enjoy but the reviews are polarizing among fans. Not sure if it's a diamond in the rough.

That I drew a wolfman violating a small girl on a pumpkin to screw with you?

2Ud1A

Has anyone here seen coyote ragtime show? The MAL description makes it sound like something I could enjoy but the reviews are polarizing among fans. Not sure if it's a diamond in the rough.

I watched the first few episodes a long time ago and really liked it, but I don't really remember anything about it. Just like with Pumpkin Scissors and a few other shows, I just never got around to watching more. I probably should.

fertygo

I see the Blue Exorcist film recommended fairly often, but how is the TV series? Or does the film work as a standalone?
Its like those Doraemon movies, Its standalone movie with the character thrown into the original scenario.

Also the TV series worth checking if you want hear Sawano's OST when still worth a crap.

cajunator

Banned

I own it but only watched about a disc worth. It has its moments. I honestly cant remember much about it or why I stopped.

I watched the first few episodes a long time ago and really liked it, but I don't really remember anything about it. Just like with Pumpkin Scissors and a few other shows, I just never got around to watching more. I probably should.

I own it but only watched about a disc worth. It has its moments. I honestly cant remember much about it or why I stopped.

So basically forgettable. I can do forgettable if it's not extremely boring.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Care to explain why? I've seen a tiny bit of Kamen Rider and I'd like to know how Urobuchi is handling it.

Basically, he's turned a concept that sounded AMAZINGLY stupid when it was first announced (fruit-based Riders, rival dance teams, pseudo-Pokemon battles [which by episode 4 are all but written out of the show already]), so stupid that I was ready to drop Kamen Rider forever after the first info came out, into the best Kamen Rider show in years. The characters don't feel like "Kamen Rider characters", they feel like normal people thrown into an extraordinary situation (sorta like Madoka!) who are messing with powers they don't fully understand the scope of yet. Like, in the most recent episode, there's a scene where Kouta (the main Rider, Gaim)
realizes that "shit's for real" basically, and that he could actually die in battle as Gaim, so he decides to stop transforming
. And I hate to keep invoking the Madoka name here, but what happens after that reminds me a lot of it too (
his younger friend/fellow dance team member gets ahold of a belt and decides to become a Rider in Kouta's place, because "it doesn't matter if you get hurt, as long as you can help those you love"
, which just sounds like something Urobuchi would write.

Basically, the characters and the world they're in just feel so much more real and natural than the last several Rider shows. There's no clearly defined villain yet, hell we've even had one episode with no monster whatsoever. And this is also the first Rider show we've had since...man, I wanna say Kabuto? That has more than two Riders (four episodes in and we've already gotten the core four, with at least three or four more known to be coming from magazine info). And there's several plot points that haven't yet been explored that are going to be super interesting once they get to them (like what the Yggdrasil Corporation is, and why they live in a walled city and what's outside it). I'm constantly more hype for Gaim than I am for any anime I'm watching this season (in fact I'm a bit down over the fact that there's no Gaim (or Sentai/maybe Precure?) next week due to some race or something that's airing on Asahi instead). It's just so damn GOOD.

(And yeah, I know that filling the post with spoilers when I'm trying to sell someone on the show is kinda dumb. Sorry.)

Shergal

Ringing Bell
A caveat:
I knew about the tone whiplash and downer outlook, going in

But still, damn. A beautiful, harrowing tale dealing with regret, the inevitability of fate and what it means to live freely. The fable-like storytelling is deceptively simple, but its incessant focus on characterization and the skilful directing by Masami Hata give the film a thematic complexity that I've never seen achieved in this kind of fare. We instantly understand Chirin's motivations and his relationship with the Wolf as an allegory for the burdens we each have to deal with throughout our lives, and the sheep/wolf dichotomy, while hackneyed, gives the film yet another edge when the little sheep decides to go beyond the fence, down to the unknown, struggling to become something he is not. The ending, thanks to this, is surprisingly cathartic, and the narration puts the tale on the place of an old myth, the kind of story parents tell to their children to teach them a simple lesson (if only...).
After this I find myself wanting more stories where the core is out in the open and the point is not danced around. Audience-grabbing gimmicks are nice, I like them, but distilling the theme like this makes for far more powerful outings when in the hands of good artists.

The film is Japanese, but the approach to the animation is (almost) textbook Disney- such that it makes it much more engrossing and striking, as Disney was known for their fable-like stories and cute animals.
One could say they can't beat the masters on their own playing field, but the animation in this film is somehow different. Squashy and stretchy, melodramatic, but it manages to keep itself in check. This restraint is what makes it work and actually refreshing, even if the overall style is something I've seen done hundreds of times in Western animation.
With that said, some moments could only come from Japanese animation. There are a couple of Dezaki postcards in there, and for some reason this tiny bit caught my eye:
The shot is brief, and these are the only two drawings used for the sheep being frightened, with the latter shaking a teensy little bit. There's no anticipation, no movement arc, just this juxtaposition of exaggerated, tense poses. I find it appealing, in its own way, and it's 100% anime, using the least possible drawings to convey the most possible emotion. I guess there's really no escaping one's roots, hahaha.

My friend and I are attempting in bringing another friend into anime. What are some suggestions you guys have for intro to anime? We were thinking Attack on Titan, Fate Zero, FMA Brotherhood and maybe Yamato 2199. He needs to be eased into the weirder aspects of anime such as little girls with high pitched voices (not necessarily moe) and the more perverted character designs/giant attributes to women. We hope to eventually lead him into Gurren Lagann but that'll be once he can tolerate Yoko.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
My friend and I are attempting in bringing another friend into anime. What are some suggestions you guys have for intro to anime? We were thinking Attack on Titan, Fate Zero, FMA Brotherhood and maybe Yamato 2199. He needs to be eased into the weirder aspects of anime such as little girls with high pitched voices (not necessarily moe) and the more perverted character designs/giant attributes to women. We hope to eventually lead him into Gurren Lagann but that'll be once he can tolerate Yoko.
Um, what kind of shows or films does he normally like?

Don't just throw a shortlist at people. Make thoughtful recommendations.

Gazoinks

Baccano. Fantastic dub, 'merican setting, not a lot of standard anime tropes.

Jarmel

Banned

I would just start with Fate/Zero then follow with Shingeki. That's assuming he hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop.

Eiken looks exactly what you are looking for.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Has anyone seen this anime?

My Sister Momoko (Momoko, Kaeru no Uta ga Kikoeru yo.)
p-omote..jpg

Anidb Description:
Riki and Momoko are twins, the brother, Riki, a strong, healthy third grade Primary School Student, while Momoko has various mental and physical handicaps and goes to a special handicapped children's school.

Always complaining that she too wanted to go to proper school, she would often throw tantrums, but settle down when she hears Riki sing the "Chorus of the Frogs", her favourite song.

Soon, Momoko is is given permission to attend Riki's school once a week, as a part of a exchange learning program. There, she cheers Riki on during a Physical Education class, and this lead to Riki's team winning. However, a member of the losing team, Ryuji, insults Momoko about her intelligence. Riki, angered beyond restraint, hits Ryuji, and is subsequently punished by the principal and parents.

April. Riki's class is now in fourth Grade, but the hostility of Ryuji towards Momoko continues. However, the other members of the class become friends with Momoko, drawn to her happy personality. One day, Momoko's condition suddenly becomes worse, and is carried to hospital. Meanwhile, Riki, Ryuji and some others are chosen to run in the relay of the athletics carnival. Though Riki plans to encourage Momoko by winning the relay, the fastest runner, Ryuji, claimed that If Riki is running, then he would not...

I get sad every time I stumble onto it even though I've never seen it. I'd appreciate some impressions since it seems it'll never be translated :(

Um, what kind of shows or films does he normally like?

Should've been clearer haha. He's usually very level-headed with western media and can watch anything as long as it's good. Having said that I don't know if he'll ever go into watching slice of life and other subgenres of that (drama, etc...). I'd assume action and more military shows will probably be a great door for him. One of the reasons we chose say FMA Brotherhood for him is because that's also a nice introduction into anime humor.

Baccano. Fantastic dub, 'merican setting, not a lot of standard anime tropes.

See that's definitely one I overlooked and shouldn't have. Thanks. He'll definitely like that.

Should've been clearer haha. He's usually very level-headed with western media and can watch anything as long as it's good. Having said that I don't know if he'll ever go into watching slice of life and other subgenres of that (drama, etc...). I'd assume action and more military shows will probably be a great door for him. One of the reasons we chose say FMA Brotherhood for him is because that's also a nice introduction into anime humor.

Are you only looking for TV series? There are a bunch of movies that might fit that bill, and they require less time investment than these longer TV shows. FMA:B is good place to start if he's willing to watch 64 episodes.

Are you only looking for TV series? There are a bunch of movies that might fit that bill, and they require less time investment than these longer TV shows.

Oh no movies are welcome to. Miyazaki films will also be watched, as will things such as Vampire Hunter D and Sword of the Stranger. Also... crap... the one that's an allegory of red riding hood with the guys in Hellghast outfits. Name is slipping me. But any other suggestion is worth pursuing. Cowboy Bebop and SC should've mentioned are already in the list premade for him.

Jarmel

Banned
Seriously, Fate/Zero, Shingeki and Baccano(now that someone brought up) are the three that you should start with first. Again that's assuming he hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop. F/Z, Baccano, and CB are pretty much the most 'western' anime you can get. Fate/Zero could literally have taken place in America and other than some slight dialogue changes, not a thing would be changed. There's also movies like Sword of the Stranger as well. Those are going to be the best recommendations you can get. Don't start with Brotherhood until he's seen all the above as it's more shoneny than the rest. Yamato also has some apparent Japanese influences and elements that would probably be best to wait on.

Cowboy Bebop then Sword of the Stranger then F/Z then Baccano then Shingeki.

Get his impressions after those.

Hattori

Banned
GTO and/or Trigun is a good start. Most people like badass unconventional guy characters.

Oh no movies are welcome to. Miyazaki films will also be watched, as will things such as Vampire Hunter D and Sword of the Stranger. Also... crap... the one that's an allegory of red riding hood with the guys in Hellghast outfits. Name is slipping me. But any other suggestion is worth pursuing. Cowboy Bebop and SC should've mentioned are already in the list premade for him.

Jin-Roh, Tokyo Godfathers, Time of Eve, Rurouni Kenshin : Trust and Betrayal OVA, Macross Plus, Ghost in the Shell. These are others films/OVAs I think would appeal to someone new to anime.

Cool. Thanks for all the advice guy. Will be updating the list for him.

My plan is to eventually corrupt his innocent western-drama mind to the point he can recognize the dere types. One of us. One of us.

I'm already as far as Code Geass with another friend. It's only imminent.

edit: as to throwing a list at him and waiting for the results, that's not my style haha. I watch an episode here and there with the other friend, will do the same for this one.

Shergal

Movies are great, because a lot of anime movies are great, but the general recommendations won't really paint a picture of the medium. Things like Jin-Roh and GitS are the exception, not the norm, and they are far away from your everyday TV show.

I think FMA:B is a pretty solid choice, for all that is good about it as well as for all its faults and trappings.

hipbabboom

How about Highschool of the Dead? It's an classy art piece that details the struggles of a group of strangers who learn they have to depend on each other to survive in a zombie apocalypse. Set in a impressively animated Tokyo just minutes after the outbreak, our hero find out quickly that the living are just as deadly as the walking dead.

I hear its the Walking Dead of anime. The writing is impressive and the females are well-empowered with very large moments.

Jarmel

Banned
Cool. Thanks for all the advice guy. Will be updating the list for him.

My plan is to eventually corrupt his innocent western-drama mind to the point he can recognize the dere types. One of us. One of us.

I'm already as far as Code Geass with another friend. It's only imminent.

edit: as to throwing a list at him and waiting for the results, that's not my style haha. I watch an episode here and there with the other friend, will do the same for this one.

If he likes 24 then try Death Note.

How about Highschool of the Dead? It's an classy art piece that details the struggles of a group of strangers who learn they have to depend on each other to survive in a zombie apocalypse. Set in a impressively animated Tokyo just minutes after the outbreak, our hero find out quickly that the living are just as deadly as the walking dead.

I hear its the Walking Dead of anime. The writing is impressive and the females are well-empowered with very large moments.

What does it mean when I say that I would rather watch Highschool of the Dead over Walking Dead?

Articalys

The biggest sales number that matters for this week: Nekomonogatari White v1 sells 39,741 BD+DVD.

Compare to 57,512 for Nise v1w1 and 48,534 for Neko Black v1w1. Still damn good though and easily beats Free! to take top spot for the Summer season.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Good, accessible, and on the actiony side:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Rurouni Kenshion: Tsuiokuhen
Baccano

Jarmel

Banned
The biggest sales number that matters for this week: Nekomonogatari White v1 sells 39,741 BD+DVD.

Compare to 57,512 for Nise v1w1 and 48,534 for Neko Black v1w1. Still damn good though and easily beats Free! to take top spot for the Summer season.

Series fatigue is a real thing.

GitS, Brack Ragoon, and Death Note. Should've thought of adding those. For that matter I need to remember the other Adult Swim dubs to see which one might work. Also I seem to forget that Samurai X (as it was called in South America in my childhood) is known as Rurouni Kenshin everywhere else.

In my defense, the women on HotD are better written.

To be fair, the women in the Walking Dead comic are much better than in the show. They turned a lot of them into bumbling idiots in the show, while in the comics that particular character might've been a badass.

hipbabboom

Ahegao of Blue Steel

This series is weird to me. I'll accept that these girls are CPU and can control an entire warship which is their main body at will but why do they need projected displays while fighting? Also why are they on the outside of the ship when the ships are clearly designed to house humanoids? Isn't that dangerous. It's like the girls playing with tanks and live ammunitions while wearing nothing but sailor uniforms and coming out with soot smudges when their tank explodes.

I know I'm the problem here but the writers keep sending me mixed messages :(

Movies are great, because a lot of anime movies are great, but the general recommendations won't really paint a picture of the medium. Things like Jin-Roh and GitS are the exception, not the norm, and they are far away from your everyday TV show.

I think FMA:B is a pretty solid choice, for all that is good about it as well as for all its faults and trappings.

I don't see what's wrong with starting someone off with the best the medium has to offer. You aren't going to get a picture of what anime is from just watching a few movies/series anyway, that takes time. FMA:B is a good choice, but I'd think its length makes it less than ideal for a newcomer.

I've never seen an episode of the Walking Dead. Is it really THAT bad? That's hard to imagine.
I watched the first 1.5 seasons of it and it was more painfully mediocre than outright terrible.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's probably what Cecilia's vagina looks like.

Why the fuck is it blue?

It's what made everyone in the cast stupid!

I don't see what's wrong with starting someone off with the best the medium has to offer. You aren't going to get a picture of what anime is from just watching a few movies/series anyway, that takes time.
Besides, once you establish that a safe zone exists in the medium, you can then branch out and try out stuff that still good but may not appeal to everyone. For example, movies like Patlabor and Honneamise might be too contemplative for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom