• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

I finally found the anime I was looking an hour for, it was called Happy Lesson. I was trying to remember a show that I watched that had some weird story involving teachers living with someone.

The dude happens to live with 5 of his teachers, not 2, or 1 like an understandable anime. 5!!!! Also I think they fight over being his mom.

Why did I watch this? I barely remember anything about this show except the art teacher. Looking back I still can't believe this show had 2 seasons, an OVA, and a special.
I know, right? They're not even his sisters!

Branduil

I watched the first episode, and it was OK and all, but after Aura, Devil Survivor 2, Arpeggio, and especially Danganronpa, I can't in good conscience watch or otherwise support any Seiji Kishi-directed show.

I'm all for making fun of Kishi's(numerous) ugly, bad series, but Humanity is Declined is somehow a great show for over half of its run, and at least watchable for the other portion. The art direction is surprisingly aesthetically pleasing, too.

C: The Battle Anime That Thinks Its Serious But Is Really Generic
The anime was ok overall but there were many stupid things. First of all, the use of CGI was sporadic. There wasn't a particular reason they were using it during a battle and not use it in the next. Another thing was the focus on money but lack of focus on greed. They chose instead to focus on the future and hope. don't think there was any real bad guys. The ending really felt like a visual novel ending(which is what I guess this show is based on). I also don't like that
the first girl was merely turned into a symbol of the future of Japan despite the teasing of romantic interest. The weird thing is that his Asset (which is supposed to representative of his future daughter) became the romantic interest. Also the english song that played during her fading away was really out of place ruining the sadness
. The show also seems extremely infatuated with English with a lot of characters speaking in English and not too many sound like actual English speakers.

Anybody remember that Pokemon show, the one that followed the different trainers including Gold? That had such potential. Then they went back to Ash. Seriously I would kill for an anime that follows the Pokemon Special manga.

It's okay. The middle stretch is painfully boring.

i think that the first 2 episodes are the worse part actually ...i would have dropped this show if i hadn't heard some much praise for the later parts , and the later parts were much better .. i couldn't understand the setting , and the blood bread was a mystery in term of .....pretty much eveyrthing.

It finnaly "clicked" in my mind at the end of ep2

Gazoinks

i think that the first 2 episodes are the worse part actually ...i would have dropped this show if i hadn't heard some much praise for the later parts , and the later parts were much better .. i couldn't understand the setting , and the blood bread was a mystery in term of .....pretty much eveyrthing.

It finnaly "clicked" in my mind at the end of ep2

Hm, maybe I'll have to go back to it. I watched the first two episodes and thought it was decent, but it didn't really grab me. If it improves past there though, I'll check it out again sometime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I watched the first episode, and it was OK and all, but after Aura, Devil Survivor 2, Arpeggio, and especially Danganronpa, I can't in good conscience watch or otherwise support any Seiji Kishi-directed show.

Personally, I find the notion questionable that commonality of a director between a licensed show that was financially successful and a show being considered for licensing ever significantly influences whether or not that show is actually licensed, but that entirely aside he's mostly held in check by the individual episode directors. There's arguably only one "bad" episode (and perhaps three depending on how intolerant on principle one is of otaku meta-humor in their entertainment), but otherwise it's largely a charming, intelligent black comedy free of any overt laziness or incompetence.

Nordicus

Natsume Yuujinchou 5-7

JWzy4G7.jpg

My lower lip is starting to quiver you guys... HNNNNNGGG

Branduil

It's a matter of principle.

Anyway, I'd rather learn Japanese and read Romeo Tanaka's novels, since from what I've heard the anime adaptation messed things up rather badly.

Messed things up how?

The main flaw of the show is that two arcs just aren't interesting as stories and another is twice as long as it needs to be. I'd recommend just watching episodes 1-2 and then skipping to 7.

Messed things up how?

The main flaw of the show is that two arcs just aren't interesting as stories and another is twice as long as it needs to be. I'd recommend just watching episodes 1-2 and then skipping to 7.

Not being familiar with the novels myself I can't comment in any detail, but what I recall hearing from someone who has read them is that the world-building and serious portions of the show in particular were handled rather poorly and presented in a fractured and confusing manner.

Polar Bear Cafe 23

Part A: Is this the part where
Polar Bear/Sasako becomes a thing
considering Sasako's preferences? Polar Bear sure did fuck with Handa, emptying his wallet out at the cafe just for some advice. And Talk about inconvenient. Sasako's preferences were in the cafe when hardly anyone else was around. Pissed Panda off, that's for sure.

Part B: Panda Mama! She apparently learns the art of stuffing.... but holy shit, those mamas. They're too powerful for this universe. Way too powerful.
They even put Polar Bear in shame when talking about his refill prices. God damn, everyone got owned.

Branduil

Not being familiar with the novels myself I can't comment in any detail, but what I recall hearing from someone who has read them is that the world-building and serious portions of the show in particular were handled rather poorly and presented in a fractured and confusing manner.

Well, that might be true, I'm not familiar with the source material, but I tend to feel that actual quality of a show is more important, in general, than its adherence to the original text. The anime works as a funny dark comedy, especially with the episodes I mentioned excluded, and it doesn't display the typical drab, ugly style and tedious direction you'd normally expect from a Seiji Kishi show.

Sword Art Online - Episode 4

So I dropped this show a long time ago because episode 3, I didn't like it all that much. Episode 4 was even worse. Silica is the epitome of how to destroy a good action show for me. Weak, has a whiney voice, always blushing or being embarrassed by the smallest of things, or being a huge downer. I would have liked the red head better then her, and she was evil.

Also did I really see 2 tentacles come out the ground in one episode o_O It's like the show is trying to be ecchi when it isn't.

I might have to put this on hold for now. Maybe another time.

I know, right? They're not even his sisters!

That reference reminded me of an even worse number of people living with someone show. Sister Princess, he was living with 12 of his sisters. Now that's just too much.

Dokidoki precure 37

The people writting dokidoki precure are walking on a very thin line IMO.
Since the start it's obvious this season is MORE marketing toy oriented than the previous ones , but seriously ... we are reaching new heights !! the characters themselves are demoing the toys (in toy mode ) for the public to see !! The scene has no impact for the rest of the episode ( or so little ) it's just marketing !

i know that they have to sell their toys , but there are other ways to do that and certainly more subtle ways.

As for the episode in itself , EAT YOUR CARROTS people.
Well it was a nice morale , if not so predictable, given what cure Ace is,... Also are they hinting that regina will be back ? YES !

That reference reminded me of an even worse number of people living with someone show. Sister Princess, he was living with 12 of his sisters. Now that's just too much.

What if i tell you that the familly is NOT EVEN complete ?

Well , it seems this was a katsura episode ...

However , episodes like jacky-chan or the driving school ( or the elisabeth sub plot ) are just so much in my mind..

I wish i could rewatch gintama again , but 265 episodes is a bit much when i barely have the time to play.

Actually it's about...
that one random guy who's going to retire and he wants to make one last goal for his "baby", do you remember it now? the "baby". I don't remember how the odd jobs make his teammates pass out, but the team is composed of the odd jobs, madao, katsura, elizabeth, and if I'm not wrong tae, kyubei, and sachan.

Edit: I think it was his "boy", and a Gorilla was a teammate as well, and one random old man(?).

Jex

GGG 1-2

So I'm curious, is GaoGaiGar known for how well animated it is? Because it's really well animated.
iBWGmy942FnK.gif
This should really be a general rule, but it's especially true in action shows: don't judge the overall quality of the show by the opening few episodes because quality always (nearly always) drops off from then.

A side rule: stock footage (or the attack animation or the bank animation, whatever you want to call it) will nearly always look great but that's because they'll use it in like every single episode and the OP rather than draw new action animation. It's the same as a magical girls transformation scene.
I also wish the cast didn't involve that kid but I'm hoping there is a timeskip or something. I hate kids in general.
It's a kids show for kids starting kids aimed at kids.

Dokidoki precure - 38

so for this episode , bel plan wasn't that bad ..it could have worked but he didn't took into account the fact that cure LOVE is haxxor-tier and full of love , so much that she can put everyone into full mode very quickly .. ( when will you stop , cure love ? )

Otherwise , bel did his best to mimic hotoko no ken but it was no use because : "hey did you see that superb and impressive magical toy ?"

Ahem , next is episode 39 , the 3/4 of the serie, time for a big battle ( hopefully nicely animated ) to celebrate the return of REGINA !

Ps: Red is better than violet

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Watched two episodes of Non Non Biyori.

This is so adorable, oh my god! One of those animes you watch with a smile on your face the whole episode and lots of "aaaww" moments.

Hotarun <3

zDEURiq.gif

Seeing that loop, I'm reminded of this gif:
games-journalismaf8t.gif

Personally, I'm reminded of:

And I never even watched Henneko!

330x300.resizedimage

And look at that discount you're getting!

I know it's a fucking steal.

Jarmel

Banned
This should really be a general rule, but it's especially true in action shows: don't judge the overall quality of the show by the opening few episodes because quality always (nearly always) drops off from then.

Yea they're going to milk this transformation scene for like 20 episodes aren't they?
It's a kids show for kids starting kids aimed at kids.

Yea I kinda figured that out by episode 3 and episode 5 drilled that point home when I saw the Autobots appear on screen. I was hoping this was going to be a kid's show like Eureka 7 or TTGL is a kid's show.

I think DokiDoki Precure is a very good example of this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That was a pretty flawless INB4 on my part in the most unlikable anime protagonist thread.

Sorry LeleSocho

Articalys

I didn't expect, of all things, an Oreimo reference in the Blazblue Chronophantasma achievements. Though I suppose it makes sense, since Yuuichi Nakamura voices both Terumi and Kyosuke.

&#20474;&#27096;&#12398;&#12466;&#12540;&#12472;&#12364;&#12371;&#12435;&#12394;&#12395;&#28316;&#12414;&#12426;&#12420;&#12377;&#12356;&#12431;&#12369;&#12364;&#12394;&#12356;
Ore-sama no gauge ga konna ni tamari yasui wake ga nai
which roughly translates to "There's no way my gauge (meter) can be this easy to gain"

Are you talking about the Legend of Thunder special that was a part of Pokemon Chronicles?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/The_Legend_of_Thunder

Yeah that's it. I remember there being others. Like one following... what's his face Tracy? Can't recall. Either ways all these other trainers had much more potential than Ash. Why the anime insists on sticking with him I'll never know. It's like an abusive relationship of never-ending disappointment.

Golden Time 2/3

liking the show more now although tada is kinda boring

2D-kun keeps it real though

If being boring is the requirement to not be a bumbling idiot like 70% of romance leads then sign me up.

Polar Bear Cafe 24

Okay so here, it does feel like
Polar BearxSasako is a thing. lewd

The only solace here is that Panda doesn't want to be too lazy. Wonder what he has against Penguin though.
Polar Bear got thrown under the bus again

Dat animal sports fair. Can't help but feel there were some... off models in this episode. Mainly in Part A.

Gazoinks

If being boring is the requirement to not be a bumbling idiot like 70% of romance leads then sign me up.

My main issue with Banri so far is that I feel like he lacks noticeable character flaws or quirks. He's just kind of.. a guy.

Compare him to Kitihara from White Album 2. Now, Kitihara hasn't shown himself to be a hugely deep character either, but he does have some flaws and quirks that fleshes him out a bit: He's preachy, he's stubborn, etc. I haven't really got anything besides "Yeah he's pretty alright" from Banri.
No amnesia does not count as a character flaw, although hopefully they'll use it do develop his character and make some quirks and flaws from it.

Still better than most romantic leads tho, yeah. >.>

Polar Bear Cafe 24

Okay so here, it does feel like
Polar BearxSasako is a thing. lewd

The only solace here is that Panda doesn't want to be too lazy. Wonder what he has against Penguin though.
Polar Bear got thrown under the bus again

Dat animal sports fair. Can't help but feel there were some... off models in this episode. Mainly in Part A.

If that spoiler really is a thing then I hope to god it doesn't develop. Handa-san :'(

My main issue with Banri so far is that I feel like he lacks noticeable character flaws or quirks. He's just kind of.. a guy.

Compare him to Kitihara from White Album 2. Now, Kitihara hasn't shown himself to be a hugely deep character either, but he does have some flaws and quirks that fleshes him out a bit: He's preachy, he's stubborn, etc. I haven't really got anything besides "Yeah he's pretty alright" from Banri.
No amnesia does not count as a character flaw, although hopefully they'll use it do develop his character and make some quirks and flaws from it.

Still better than most romantic leads tho, yeah. >.>

The way I see his character is
his biggest problem right now is deciding whether he wants to please his old relationships or make new ones and move on. Like with the first discussion where he got all serious. He doesn't have many issues because he's a new man. He doesn't recall his personality flaws, so he has started from zero. Now he's a nice guy because he's desperately seeking a new life as he's scared to go back to his old one. I think the last scene in the previous episode was his courage of trying to rediscover

Maybe being nice and mellow isn't the most interesting character but if they continue to develop the above and further explore how it affects him it'd be fantastic imho. Here you have a guy who is extremely nice and mellow, vs a new friend who is nice but easily irritable and a romantic interest that is nice only to a select few but manipulative. The dynamic should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom