• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that spoiler really is a thing then I hope to god it doesn't develop. Handa-san :'(

I can't help it. I mean
in part A, Panda's looking for apprenticeship, and Sasako is apparently doing her own thing. Mainly trying to do well with making coffee. It's hinted that she's trying things. And when she was asked on why she quit what she was experimenting with, she just blushed and didn't say anything. The Eyecatch also had her trying to make coffee with Polar Bear standing behind her. Polar Bear doesn't seem to be developing that interest, but it seems like it for Sasako.

Also considering last episode that she said she prefers someone taller than her. A kicker is that penguin texted Handa saying that he has very bad luck, and to take advantage of it.

Gazoinks

The way I see his character is
his biggest problem right now is deciding whether he wants to please his old relationships or make new ones and move on. Like with the first discussion where he got all serious. He doesn't have many issues because he's a new man. He doesn't recall his personality flaws, so he has started from zero. Now he's a nice guy because he's desperately seeking a new life as he's scared to go back to his old one. I think the last scene in the previous episode was his courage of trying to rediscover

Maybe being nice and mellow isn't the most interesting character but if they continue to develop the above and further explore how it affects him it'd be fantastic imho. Here you have a guy who is extremely nice and mellow, vs a new friend who is nice but easily irritable and a romantic interest that is nice only to a select few but manipulative. The dynamic should work.
Mm, that's true, and I like the contrast between his character and Koko in that respect.
One obsessed with the past and needing to move on, one terrified of the past.
Really does come down to how they develop him as he goes forward, hopefully they'll do well with that.

Mitsuo needs more development though, we've hardly spent any time with him past the first episode.

Mm, that's true, and I like the contrast between his character and Koko in that respect.
One obsessed with the past and needing to move on, one terrified of the past.
Really does come down to how they develop him as he goes forward, hopefully they'll do well with that.

Mitsuo needs more development though, we've hardly spent any time with him past the first episode.

Definitely. I just hope the development doesn't devolve into, assuming the OP/ED is true, into him wanting to get with Koko once shes in a relationship. That'd be unfair to the audience as it's too easy of a set-up and extremely easy drama.

Gazoinks

Definitely. I just hope the development doesn't devolve into, assuming the OP/ED is true, into him wanting to get with Koko once shes in a relationship. That'd be unfair to the audience as it's too easy of a set-up and extremely easy drama.

Ugh please god no. Honestly, I'd really like to see it develop so that the trio all get along as friends (with Banri/Koko as the romantic pairing of course). Koko recognizes that Mitsuo doesn't feel romantically about her, accepts it, and they become bros forevermore. That's not too much to ask, is it? >.>

I'm also hoping Koko and Banri get together relatively early in the series, so we have a significant amount of time focused on their relationship, not on them getting into a relationship. The fast pacing of the last episode kinda raised my hopes for that.

How hilarious would it be if Banri and Koko break up partway through and then the OP changes to pair him with another girl? Ultimate bait-and-switch.

On Uchouten Kazoku -- this is a fantastic show. I just finished episode 5, though, and there's something that really bothers me.
How is Yasaburo able to listen to the Friday Fellows and Benten talk about his father being eaten -- and his own demise -- without so much as a single display of emotion? I was getting angry for him. The tanuki, and Yasaburo especially, are just a little too flippant towards their deaths and their would-be killers for me to believe.
Or is this something that's addressed later on?

That'd be brilliantly troll-like. And I'm assuming they will get together at some point before episode 12/13. I assume this of course in that the OP/ED will change in the second half so if they already have them all lovey-dovey in the first one it'd mean they will get together at least by halfway through the anime.

AnimeGAF, I never asked but if you are getting a PS4 (or are a PC gamer) have you heard of Soul Saga?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/disastercake/soul-saga-a-j-rpg-inspired-by-playstation-classics
It's already over of course, but the reason I ask is because the main character and the friend reminded me way too much of Ed and Winry from FMA. Part of the reason I almost instantly backed it back in the days.

edit: not sure what the regard on Kickstarter links is, but this is simply a link to show the game itself not to ask for backing.

Jex

Yea they're going to milk this transformation scene for like 20 episodes aren't they?.

Yeah it's more like all 49 episodes and the OVA's as well.
Yea I kinda figured that out by episode 3 and episode 5 drilled that point home when I saw the Autobots appear on screen. I was hoping this was going to be a kid's show like Eureka 7 or TTGL is a kid's show.
The modern trend in robot shows is to aim the show at a teenage audience but GaoGaiGar really sticks to it's roots. All robot shows were, originally, shows for kids and GaoGaiGar falls squarely into that camp.

Okay Anime gaf, I've got a challenege. Today one of my friends said to me,

"You know an anime is shit when it has lots and lots of fan service."

I was like........oh shit you've got a point. I thought hard and all I could come up with was Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion. Though I think we can exclude Evangelion because some the scenes were deliberately used for character portrayal. I guess the suits and Rei were the only things but she says it was hardly a frequent thing.

So are there any anime (it would better it was recent) thats has lots of fan service and is still a really good anime?

Be prepared for terrible CG and QUALITY animation.

Unfortunatly i became of it when i saw all those CGS jeeps in the first episode !

--------------

Hunter x hunter - 102

This episode was still great , but it was like a transition episode where everything is set-up ..
Perfect plan , god accomplice are nice moves, it's true that a character with such broken moves should be riddled with weaknesses ..again this just show how well crafted the nen system is to allow such things and it still make sense.

As for the king , he is not wrong , when you're fighting someone , grasping the rythm of your opponent is a good concept ( i follow this concept myself when i'm playing fighting games ever since hxh introduced me to the concept years ago and i'm done fine :p )

Next week we'll have more nen fights it seems , can't wait .

So are there any anime (it would better it was recent) thats has lots of fan service and is still a really good anime?

Depends on the fanservice .

If it's generic shitty fanservice , then no .. it's hard

If it's well placed fanservice ( then yes ) ..( nisemonogatari, gurren lagan was one nice example too but there are other examples )

Gazoinks

I was like........oh shit you've got a point. I thought hard and all I could come up with was Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion. Though I think we can exclude Evangelion because some the scenes were deliberately used for character portrayal. I guess the suits and Rei were the only things but she says it was hardly a frequent thing.

Kill La Kill would be the one off the top of my head.

CorvoSol

Yeah it's more like all 49 episodes and the OVA's as well.

The modern trend in robot shows is to aim the show at a teenage audience but GaoGaiGar really sticks to it's roots. All robot shows were, originally, shows for kids and GaoGaiGar falls squarely into that camp.

Except maybe GaoGaiGar Final. I mean that scene with the bee and the drill and the chains. GGGF makes up for it by having the most amazing throwdowns and
HAMMERING A GODDAMN SUN.

Mr.Jeff

It was definitely a daydream in the OVA, some miscellaneous apprentice comes into Aria Company while Akari notices she's a Prima, and Ai's there too for some reason. Whatever it was, it didn't look like that panel of the manga (which I'm definitely going to read because I NEED A CONCLUSION).
Ignore everything that firehawk is telling you. For some reason he's decided to talk about the final few episodes of The Origination to ruin the surprise. For someone that talksa bout the series a lot, he sure can't remember important details! The important thing is to finish the last series.

It also still amuses me that Ai's VA was originally cast as Akari on some of the first drama CD's.

Ahegao of Blue Steel

This series is weird to me. I'll accept that these girls are CPU and can control an entire warship which is their main body at will but why do they need projected displays while fighting? Also why are they on the outside of the ship when the ships are clearly designed to house humanoids? Isn't that dangerous. It's like the girls playing with tanks and live ammunitions while wearing nothing but sailor uniforms and coming out with soot smudges when their tank explodes.

I know I'm the problem here but the writers keep sending me mixed messages :(
I seem to recall there's a reason behind there having a mental model of the ship to do in part with some decision or experiment made by the fleet as a whole towards humanity. It's been a while since I've read the series.

Also, it's worth noting that the bodies they use are pretty much expendable since they've been made from nanomaterial (I think), the only key portion of them they need to look after is their core. There's a fight later on that makes a deal about that.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV 3

Sadly this isn't Les Miserables, Mr. Joestar.

Koyasu's performance as Dio is delicious.
I wish Koyasu would get more voice roles. He doesn't quite have the tone of voice like Wakamoto or Nakata that makes you pay attention but he's nearly always great in most roles he does either comedy or serious.

Jex

On Uchouten Kazoku -- this is a fantastic show. I just finished episode 5, though, and there's something that really bothers me.
How is Yasaburo able to listen to the Friday Fellows and Benten talk about his father being eaten -- and his own demise -- without so much as a single display of emotion? I was getting angry for him. The tanuki, and Yasaburo especially, are just a little too flippant towards their deaths and their would-be killers for me to believe.

It's certainly addressed, but in general the Tanuki approach to these matters is different to our own, human outlook on the subject.

Strike Witches.

Gurren Lagann. Code Geass. Depending on what you consider tons there's also Cowboy Bebop and I'm calling it now Space Dandy.

gYGgwEg.jpg
DXo68ms.jpg

Blazblue Alter Memory 4

Right, back to being angry with still no sign of Bang.

Oh, but we already appearances from Tsubaki(who exist solely to make Jin seem straight), Lambda, and Phantom.

Fucking Phantom has already appeared before Bang.

Whose going to be next? Platinum?

At least Tao and Ragna's interaction is still funny.

Mature

All Gainax shows.

Articalys

So is it safe to assume at this point that the Blazblue anime is probably going to run all the way through the events of Chronophantasma's story mode?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Tanuki view being boiled in a hot pot as a sort of inevitability--while it doesn't happen to every tanuki, it's accepted as part of a natural predator/prey relationship between humans and tanuki. Tanuki are cognitively indistinguishable from humans and often take their form, but they still view themselves as an entirely distinct species and, as such, don't demand that humans share their values or vice-versa
. I actually ended up really enjoying that the show challenges the viewer with a value system that seems incredibly frustrating from a human perspective, but Uchouten does a good job of justifying it in the context of how it fits into the overall tanuki philosophy on life that's continually elaborated upon over the show's run. I think you'll still be satisfied by the end as long as you can make yourself accept that tanuki just don't approach matters of life and death the same way that humans do.

cnet128

Banned

Monogatari in general is awesome and it's practically made of fanservice. Same goes for Kill la Kill, though in a rather different way.

Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 4

And so the arc ends. I dunno, the story still isn't really doing anything to hook me, and this was a fairly generic first arc, but the vaguely interesting world and the cuteness of the Yaya are making me want to stick with the series regardless. =/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fanservice in and of itself doesn't indicate a show is shitty, but it can indicate where the show's priorities lie, and when it's on pandering it's usually not on quality.

That said, does Dirty Pair count?

Unfortunatly i became of it when i saw all those CGS jeeps in the first episode !

--------------

Hunter x hunter - 102

This episode was still great , but it was like a transition episode where everything is set-up ..
Perfect plan , god accomplice are nice moves, it's true that a character with such broken moves should be riddled with weaknesses ..again this just show how well crafted the nen system is to allow such things and it still make sense.

As for the king , he is not wrong , when you're fighting someone , grasping the rythm of your opponent is a good concept ( i follow this concept myself when i'm playing fighting games ever since hxh introduced me to the concept years ago and i'm done fine :p )

Next week we'll have more nen fights it seems , can't wait .

Depends on the fanservice .

If it's generic shitty fanservice , then no .. it's hard

If it's well placed fanservice ( then yes ) ..( nisemonogatari, gurren lagan was one nice example too but there are other examples )

Like almost every episode has numerous scenes on it.
Gurren Lagann seems like a good one but doesn't the fan service die after they grow up (I can't remember but I think Yoko leaves?)

Kill La Kill would be the one off the top of my head.

Thats like the example she used to say anime's with lots of fan service are shit lol.

Strike Witches.

Sell me on it without using fan service as a draw.

Gurren Lagann. Code Geass. Depending on what you consider tons there's also Cowboy Bebop and I'm calling it now Space Dandy.

Does Code Geass have frequent fan service?
I don't think too much time will be spent on the space girls in Space Dandy.

All Gainax shows.

0_0

I never realised.

Fanservice in and of itself doesn't indicate a show is shitty, but it can indicate where the show's priorities lie, and when it's on pandering it's usually not on quality.

That said, does Dirty Pair count?

Typed it into google....oh boy certainly is filled with it. Is it really good? Would you recommend it to people if they said they wanted to watch a really good anime?

It's certainly addressed, but in general the Tanuki approach to these matters is different to our own, human outlook on the subject.

Tanuki view being boiled in a hot pot as a sort of inevitability--while it doesn't happen to every tanuki, it's accepted as part of a natural predator/prey relationship between humans and tanuki. Tanuki are cognitively indistinguishable from humans and often take their form, but they still view themselves as an entirely distinct species and, as such, don't demand that humans share their values or vice-versa
. I actually ended up really enjoying that the show challenges the viewer with a value system that seems incredibly frustrating from a human perspective, but Uchouten does a good job of justifying it in the context of how it fits into the overall tanuki philosophy on life that's continually elaborated upon over the show's run. I think you'll still be satisfied by the end as long as you can make yourself accept that tanuki just don't approach matters of life and death the same way that humans do.

I see. I was thinking it might be something like that. I just watched the sixth episode and it sort of touched upon this matter.
I think that, understandably, I had a difficult time separating the ideology of the tanuki species when they spend so much time in human form. Soichiro's death also caused his family an incredible amount of distress, and its clear that his absence is still felt, complicating the tanuki concept of death (and life, for that matter). The line that separates and blends the two species is incredibly fine, and as long as the show explores that, then I think I'll be satisfied.

Nevertheless, it's interesting that my philosophy as a human being is so entrenched that I can't alter it -- only take a step back and analyze my reading. I can't think of another anime that has ever made me do this.

Jex

Fanservice isn't just something that occurs in a handful of works, you can find fanservice practically everywhere in anime to a lesser or greater extent. It really depends on what they mean by "lots of fanservice" or even 'fanservice'. Is Lum's outfit fanservice? Is the Dirty Pair's outfits fanservice? Etc etc.

Either way, I don't think listing titles really helps because, as Hitokage has said, the presence of fanservice doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the work. It just tells you who made it and who the audience might include.

Blazblue Alter Memory 4

Right, back to being angry with still no sign of Bang.

Oh, but we already appearances from Tsubaki(who exist solely to make Jin seem straight), Lambda, and Phantom.

Fucking Phantom has already appeared before Bang.

Whose going to be next? Platinum?

At least Tao and Ragna's interaction is still funny.
lol tsubaki exist because JUSTICE !

No seriously , her only role seems to be JEALOUSY ( even if it's terumi fault ) ..Seriously i hope they change that in chronophantasma.

So is it safe to assume at this point that the Blazblue anime is probably going to run all the way through the events of Chronophantasma's story mode?

Doesn't look like it since they don't have anyone from CP in the OP/ED, even when they don't even mind spoiling characters in Continuum Shift.

But hey, if they try and end Continuum Shift in 2-3 more episodes, then I wouldn't be shocked if they did.

lol tsubaki exist because JUSTICE !

No seriously , her only role seems to be JEALOUSY ( even if it's terumi fault ) ..Seriously i hope they change that in chronophantasma.

She'll still always be infatuated with her Jin-neesama

Gazoinks

I see. I was thinking it might be something like that. I just watched the sixth episode and it sort of touched upon this matter.
I think that, understandably, I had a difficult time separating the ideology of the tanuki species when they spend so much time in human form. Soichiro's death also caused his family an incredible amount of distress, and its clear that his absence is still felt, complicating the tanuki concept of death (and life, for that matter). The line that separates and blends the two species is incredibly fine, and as long as the show explores that, then I think I'll be satisfied.

Nevertheless, it's interesting that my philosophy as a human being is so entrenched that I can't alter it -- only take a step back and analyze my reading. I can't think of another anime that has ever made me do this.

Yeah, additionally it seems like
Yasaburo is caught kind of off-guard by how friendly the Friday Fellows are, as well as his feelings for Benten. So that kind of muddies the waters further.

Branduil

Fanservice isn't just something that occurs in a handful of works, you can find fanservice practically everywhere in anime to a lesser or greater extent. It really depends on what they mean by "lots of fanservice" or even 'fanservice'. Is Lum's outfit fanservice? Is the Dirty Pair's outfits fanservice? Etc etc.

Either way, I don't think listing titles really helps because, as Hitokage has said, the presence of fanservice doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the work. It just tells you who made it and who the audience might include.

If you include male gaze practically every anime has fanservice.

Narag

It's almost a silly example and it's nowhere near as good a show as Uchoten but that sort of thing is prevalent in Arashi no Yoru ni's tv adaptation. Instead of portraying the predatory wolves as generic evil antagonists to the goats, they're actually presented in a manner that makes them just as likeable as their prey which kinda blew my mind. It fit with the running theme of the natural order of life being maintained as the wolves weren't viewed as malicious when preying on the goats, it was just something that happened because hey, wolves need to eat too.

Gazoinks

It's almost a silly example and it's nowhere near as good a show as Uchoten but that sort of thing is prevalent in Arashi no Yoru ni's tv adaptation. Instead of portraying the predatory wolves as generic evil antagonists to the goats, they're actually presented in a manner that makes them just as likeable as their prey which kinda blew my mind. It fit with the running theme of the natural order of life being maintained as the wolves weren't viewed as malicious when preying on the goats, it was just something that happened because hey, wolves need to eat too.

I feel like that's a very Japanese sentiment in general. That sort of sense of balance, the circle of life, etc.

cnet128

Banned
Tokyo Ravens 4

Show just got about 400% better. About 50% of that is due to the new school setting, which is surprisingly much more engaging than the setting of the first three episodes for reasons I can't readily identify. One reason may be because the new setting seems to have boosted Natsume's best girl levels significantly.

The remaining 350% is of course due to Kon. Kon is best thing ever. Needs infinitely more Kon.

A good anime knows how to balance its fan-service so that it doesn't become distracting. Kill la Kill, for instance makes the fan-service a central part of the plot, so the scenes are happening during the important moments of the show (so far anyway). So it has a reason to use the fan-service other than to just be there for the lewdness.

So yeah, Kill la Kill is the best bet when going for a good anime with lots of fan service.

Narag

Here's a thought about The Eccentric Family I had today.

Series spoiler stuff etc:
Was Soun ever shown in tanuki form or any shapeshifted form at all/? I don't remember it which is strange since every other named one was shown in theirs even if it might be flashback. Guy struck me as wanting to be human so badly to the point he'd accept a membership with the Friday Fellows if possible such that he presented them with not one but two tanuki for hot pot. There seemed to be a dire need to prove himself better than others given his business, his desire to be Nise-emon, and how he'd strike out at his own relation to raise his own position. When confronted, he said something like no tanuki would ever betray another tanuki to a hot pot and I wondered just how literal that was in his case.

When I was thinking about it today, it just stood out to me and felt like the Yajiro parallels might have carried over so far that he might have lost his ability to transform and was stuck in that form like Yajiro was a frog. I thought he transformed into one of the lucky gods in episode 4 but he looked the same as he did later on, just with an open kimono.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom