• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just in for more shoddy Yes Precure 5 animation, the backgrounds!

NLbDp0n.png

I can't tell if the scribbles in the shadow are intentional or not, but we have scribbles beyond the lines....

A good anime knows how to balance its fan-service so that it doesn't become distracting. Kill la Kill, for instance makes the fan-service a central part of the plot, so the scenes are happening during the important moments of the show (so far anyway). So it has a reason to use the fan-service other than to just be there for the lewdness.

So yeah, Kill la Kill is the best bet when going for a good anime with lots of fan service.

As said earlier, my friend used this specific example. Basically she thinks the anime is shit. I don't necessarily agree with her but I don't disagree entirely either. I fear in Kill la Kill the perversion was planned before hand and the plot was made for it so its not as ridiculous.

Er, yes.

They don't call it the 'GAINAX bounce' for nothing.

I haven't watched Code Geass :p

Fanservice isn't just something that occurs in a handful of works, you can find fanservice practically everywhere in anime to a lesser or greater extent. It really depends on what they mean by "lots of fanservice" or even 'fanservice'. Is Lum's outfit fanservice? Is the Dirty Pair's outfits fanservice? Etc etc.

Either way, I don't think listing titles really helps because, as Hitokage has said, the presence of fanservice doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the work. It just tells you who made it and who the audience might include.

I should of clarified. Fan service in perverted kind. I think DP's outfit is fan service. Costume designs like that rarely have a reason.

I agree that excessive fan service doesn't necessarily mean the anime is horrible by default but it can be a reliable indication most of times is what my friend was probably trying to say and what I feel as well.

Articalys

Tokyo Ravens 4

Show just got about 400% better. About 50% of that is due to the new school setting, which is surprisingly much more engaging than the setting of the first three episodes for reasons I can't readily identify. One reason may be because the new setting seems to have boosted Natsume's best girl levels significantly.

The remaining 350% is of course due to Kon. Kon is best thing ever. Needs infinitely more Kon.
Geneon seems to be making a series of videos on YouTube explaining terms, concepts, and story elements in the series, all narrated/presented by Kon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAonHK0fPz4

Jex

While I do agree that the animation style is cheap, it was also intentional in the manner that it adds to the charm of the show as it's handled in a manner similar to Inferno Cop. That said, it looking cheaper than your average anime? Fuck no.

C'mon now, you've been around here long enough to know who cwarrior is.

Jex

Tiger and Bunny 08
And so the plot thickens. Origami should use his noggin and realise his power's pretty damn good!
Anyway more Taiga bro moments and fairly minimal CG in the action bits made this a nice episode even without Blue Rose.

I really feel that it's my duty to warn you that Tiger and Bunny peaks at around episode 15 and the plot gets really badly Sunrise'd a few episodes later once the executives get their mitts on it.

• Arpeggio of Blue Steel - 01 Mecha Anime taking to the seas
PLANET EARTH, 202X

Earth is losing a war against an unstoppable alien threat from the sea known as the Fleet of Fog. The United Nations deploys the best of their arsenal; World War II-era gunships that unsurprisingly have no effect on the relentless assault, and humanity loses its final stand. Each of the nations are forced
to build monsters, to destroy monsters
to total isolation and contact between countries is reserved to the launching of ICBMs. What.

Enter scene, the Blue Steel -- a captured Fog submarine;

Piloted by teenagers. Now we're watching an anime!

Flashback two years, and we find out that those kids in the Blue Steel are lead by none other than Shinji--I mean Chihaya Gunzou, who accidentally activates the submarine and awakens our white-haired cover girl. Everyone immediately remarks how hot she is. Wow, thanks for telling us!

On a side note, my Crunchyroll froze on this frame of my watching:
QRE2yTO.png

Clever exposition tells us that dead eyes up there is probably not a human. But she is Fuko Ibuki! And can apparently summon this music video at will.

SPARTANS WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE?
"I want the strength ... to break the stagnant status quo."

That's gotta be the most anime line in recent memory. And now submarine girl Iona keeps asking Gunzou to give her orders. She only will take orders. She desires orders. Have some self-respect, boatgirl! What shocks me the most about this scene is how readily Gunzou just accepts his call to duty. AND he knows exactly what to say. It's like he's been rehearsing this in front of a mirror or something! And I have this sinking feeling (pun intended) that boat innuendo is just going to be a recurring thing in this show. Sigh.

Please tell me this sub is powered by strength of will and OH MY GOSH SHE'S TORMENTING THE STARFISH

It appears that all the ships of the Fog are embodied in young adult females. Spiritual sequel to Upotte confirmed!

The CG isn't too bad. I think the low frame rate actually might be making things worse, though. But I haven't seen the alternative so I'll take this.

Jex

Ah, that certainly makes sense then. Time to go through the rodeo again. lol

The unfortunate thing about all of this is that there's no way for this show to hit any kind of mainstream outside of Japan. It's impossible to stream because of how it is released, and even if they put it on TV, it'd have to be butchered to fit a 20 minute time slot. Too bad.

Yeah it's a pretty shitty situation for the creators. If people who aren't really familiar with anime can watch Attack on Titan I'm certain that there's a sizable Western sci-fi fanbase who'd lap up Yamato even with it's occasionally distracting anime trappings. I mean, obviously, Star Blazers was huge in the US but no-one knows what the hell that is now.

sonicmj1

Okay Anime gaf, I've got a challenege. Today one of my friends said to me,

"You know an anime is shit when it has lots and lots of fan service."

I was like........oh shit you've got a point. I thought hard and all I could come up with was Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion. Though I think we can exclude Evangelion because some the scenes were deliberately used for character portrayal. I guess the suits and Rei were the only things but she says it was hardly a frequent thing.

So are there any anime (it would better it was recent) thats has lots of fan service and is still a really good anime?

Golden Boy for sure.

Jex

Movies are great, because a lot of anime movies are great, but the general recommendations won't really paint a picture of the medium. Things like Jin-Roh and GitS are the exception, not the norm, and they are far away from your everyday TV show.

I think FMA:B is a pretty solid choice, for all that is good about it as well as for all its faults and trappings.

That's entirely true, but perhaps you don't need to pain an entirely honest picture of the medium. There's nothing wrong with only watching the best of the best and nothing else. I'd really recommend sticking with excellent movies and OVA's to start with as TV shows are just too much of a time commitment and their quality is more variable.

cnet128

Banned
Geneon seems to be making a series of videos on YouTube explaining terms, concepts, and story elements in the series, all narrated/presented by Kon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAonHK0fPz4

aaaaaaa too much kon brb dying of kon

Yowamushi Pedal 4

New character is cool. Onoda is cool (and not called Oonoda). Yellow cars are cool. The colour red is apparently cool. Throwing cigarettes at bikes is not cool. Going fast is cool. GATTAI is cool, even when you don't actually gattai. 1000-yen candy is not cool.

CorvoSol

I was like........oh shit you've got a point. I thought hard and all I could come up with was Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion. Though I think we can exclude Evangelion because some the scenes were deliberately used for character portrayal. I guess the suits and Rei were the only things but she says it was hardly a frequent thing.

So are there any anime (it would better it was recent) thats has lots of fan service and is still a really good anime?

I dunno about "really good" but Godannar had hilarious amounts and was still a decent show, especially when you make the argument that things are oversexualized as a visual representation of the metaphor the show is seeking to illustrate: that of piloting giant robots as a metaphor for sexual relationships and sexual intercourse specifically.

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 41

Episode is about why Japan is super great. And racism. And an obvious reveal about Majo Reed. And no Hana-chan. Pretty weak episode.

cnet128

Banned
Non Non Biyori 4

Wooooooo it's an all-Renchon-all-the-time episode! Sorry Komari, but I was getting a bit bored of you after you hogged two episodes in a row. THIS is what I was waiting for. Renchon is adorable! FRIENDSHIP IS BEAUTIF--

wait what are these feels

i did not sign up for these feels

;____________;

CorvoSol

Hey guys, with Halloween coming up, I need some anime recs that are 2SPOOKY.

I felt something akin to fear as I watched the following shows:

AGEtory Gundam
Eureka Seven Ass Ocean
Eureka Seven Pocket Full of Rapists
Ass on Titan
Incest Art Online
Rah Incestphon.
Gundam rAGE
Gundam 00 Suckend Season

I lied! Actually what I felt was rabid, uncontrollable rage and unending hatred for the people involved in these projects!

Cwarrior

Your friend is absolutley right if an anime has to relay on excessive/lots fan service to get viewers to watch then it speaks volumes about it's quality, let them know there right, nothing mentioned yet dissproves that so far.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Golden Boy
Kill la Kill
Godannar

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Real answers:

From the New World

Le Portrait de Petit Cossette

Psycho Pass.

Flowers of Evil
Asura
Serial Experiments Lain
Mushishi (some episodes more than others)
Perfect Blue

Urotsukidoji.

It's a British favourite.

Just watch Tweeny Witches and Nanchatte Vampiyan. The fun part of Halloween!

Boogiepop Phantom
Kino's Journey (
especially that last episode
)
Requiem From The Darkness
Texhnolyze

I felt something akin to fear as I watched the following shows:

AGEtory Gundam
Eureka Seven Ass Ocean
Eureka Seven Pocket Full of Rapists
Ass on Titan
Incest Art Online
Rah Incestphon.
Gundam rAGE
Gundam 00 Suckend Season

I lied! Actually what I felt was rabid, uncontrollable rage and unending hatred for the people involved in these projects!

Paranoia Agent has some great spooky episodes.

Keep 'em coming. Thinking about watching Perfect Blue and Asura because they're movies and I don't have the time to mainline a series right now.

Hattori

Banned
Non Non Biyori 4

Wooooooo it's an all-Renchon-all-the-time episode! Sorry Komari, but I was getting a bit bored of you after you hogged two episodes in a row. THIS is what I was waiting for. Renchon is adorable! FRIENDSHIP IS BEAUTIF--

wait what are these feels

i did not sign up for these feels

;____________;

:lol no one is safe from them feels

This should really be a general rule, but it's especially true in action shows: don't judge the overall quality of the show by the opening few episodes because quality always (nearly always) drops off from then.

A side rule: stock footage (or the attack animation or the bank animation, whatever you want to call it) will nearly always look great but that's because they'll use it in like every single episode and the OP rather than draw new action animation. It's the same as a magical girls transformation scene.

It's a kids show for kids starting kids aimed at kids.

would be nice if it was like that lol... them budget precure stock footage of 80% of the time.

Theonik

Tokyo Ravens status:

[ ]Picked up
[ ]PICKED UP
[XXXXXXXXXXXXXX]TOUCH FLUFFY TAIL
Making the right choice.

Mellowlink is like, really short though. Easy to fit in!
I suppose it is but the bigger issue is ehem, acquisition at this moment.

Yeah, what the hell, Theonik?
I will atone soon enough.

I really feel that it's my duty to warn you that Tiger and Bunny peaks at around episode 15 and the plot gets really badly Sunrise'd a few episodes later once the executives get their mitts on it.
I've heard you say as much before but it's not like I have a choice but to keep at it since I'm watching it, Acchi Kocchi, and Kids on the Slope as more of a group thing.

Hey guys, with Halloween coming up, I need some anime recs that are 2SPOOKY.

I can't recommend Dusk Maiden of Amnesia enough
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12445
enough. It never gets 3spooky5me but it does have an eerie side to it alongside the ghost girlfriend hijinks (like the cause of her death).

There's also the Supernatural anime (made by MADHOUSE) which covers some of the more popular episodes of the first season.

The Kara No Kyoukai films have a grimdark feeling to them in many of the series, so that could work.

Lastly there's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. This one I stopped halfway through first season since it was confusing but apparently second season is better. A lot of the creepy factor comes from Yandere.

And while extremely mainstream, Mirai Nikki did have its spooky moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom