• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Ugh.

Is there any chance of a duckroll edit like with Accel World, or is the good animation going to be spread through every episode, hopelessly intertwined with creepy pandering?

To be honest, the problem isn't really the "pandering". It's the entire tone of the show and how it is written. It's impossible to salvage it because it's not just about good action or whatever - the direction of the entire series so far is top-tier. That's the ultimate tragedy. It's extremely well directed and well animated, but the material is complete garbage. The things which come out of their mouths is garbage. The subject matter of a number of scenes are garbage. The narrative is garbage. The character relationships and interactions are garbage.

I think that by putting a ton of real effort into the show, KyoAni actually makes it worse, because I think the majority of people who would actually appreciate what goes into it, are not those who would care for what is being made. Those who do care about this sort of material, in my experience, doesn't really ask for much in the way of the effort being put in here. What a waste.

BluWacky

As someone who had been really excited for KnK before it started airing, I've got to say I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the whole thing so far. At least it looks pretty.

You're hardly alone on that. I'm genuinely surprised at just how ridiculous the show is; it's as if the wacky otaku-pandering hijinks are out of a different show entirely, and can't have been what sold anyone on the idea of the show in the first place. The original CM didn't advertise any of this shit (frankly) so it can't have been a major selling point of the LN... can it?

To be honest, the problem isn't really the "pandering". It's the entire tone of the show and how it is written. It's impossible to salvage it because it's not just about good action or whatever - the direction of the entire series so far is top-tier. That's the ultimate tragedy. It's extremely well directed and well animated, but the material is complete garbage. The things which come out of their mouths is garbage. The subject matter of a number of scenes are garbage. The narrative is garbage. The character relationships and interactions are garbage.

I think that by putting a ton of real effort into the show, KyoAni actually makes it worse, because I think the majority of people who would actually appreciate what goes into it, are not those who would care for what is being made. Those who do care about this sort of material, in my experience, doesn't really ask for much in the way of the effort being put in here. What a waste.

How can something be "extremly well-directed" if it hurts the anime?

It's like KyoAni doesn't get it how shitty and cheesy the original source is and only increase the dumbness with the straight and serious adaptation.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
And to think that after this, Here Comes Chooney Boo Boo S2 is Kyoani's next show; a show that will probably make us pine for the days when Kyoani had standards and produced works like Kyokai no Kanata.

duckroll

How can something be "extremly well-directed" if it hurts the anime?

When something captures the essence of a scene in an ideal way, it cannot be argued that the direction is excellent. The composition of shots is creative, and most of the scenes exhibit a very good understanding of how to communicate feelings and emotions with visuals alone. It doesn't hurt the anime, it just hurts me, because it's a waste of effort for garbage.

Jarmel

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata 4-

The ending of the episode was pretty good actually. The problem is the fucking comedy hijinks and the character fetishists that are the two male leads. If they were more normal then the show on the whole might be a lot better. As a whole, the show is gorgeous visually. Just shit like the photo shoot make me want to grind my teeth.

The problem is that KyoAni doesn't want to step out of their safe zone and instead of taking a somber tone all the way through, they try to insert elements of essentially other shows into this one and it doesn't work.

Kyoukai no Kanata 5

I thought the text on duckroll's screencaps would be internal monologue about Mirai, but it's dialogue spoken right in front of her lol. Ew. I guess megane bishoujo was no longer descriptive enough for Akihito.

Weirdly enough, on paper the episode was decent. It showed a group of people lonely by necessity attempting to achieve some degree of happiness and normality; The process of which actually highlights how shitty their lives can be. I guess the direction is to thank for that. Shame the dialogue and everything else make it impossible to care.

As usual, I loved how the episode looked.

Jarmel

Banned
What pisses me off is that Gatoh isn't doing jackshit right now. His ass is watching Gundam Build Fighters and making model Gundams. Like why isn't he rewriting these shows? This is exactly his forte yet nope, he's just whistling away and toying with his models.

What pisses me off is that Gatoh isn't doing jackshit right now. His ass is watching Gundam Build Fighters and making model Gundams. Like why isn't he rewriting these shows? This is exactly his forte yet nope, he's just whistling away and toying with his models.

Why would Gatoh want to attempt to salvage LN shit when he has his own LNs to write? Especially when his buddy Takemoto isn't directing.

duckroll

Why does that piss you off? You should be happy that he's doing something he actually enjoys instead of getting involved with garbage like this. He doesn't even work for KyoAni. More power to him I say!

cajunator

Banned
Ugh.

Is there any chance of a duckroll edit like with Accel World, or is the good animation going to be spread through every episode, hopelessly intertwined with creepy pandering?

If its more megane/cat milfs then I hope so!

And to think that after this, Here Comes Chooney Boo Boo S2 is Kyoani's next show; a show that will probably make us pine for the days when Kyoani had standards and produced works like Kyokai no Kanata.

I cant wait!

Articalys

But Chuunibyou S2 also means more Dekomori and Nibutani. Also, didn't they say in the interviews that they were going for more of a full romcom and less drama in S2?

Well, I guess that could be a positive or negative thing depending on your point of view.

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 10

Only thing good about this episode was Momotaro.

Other than that, I want this episode stricken from canon.

Can't believe he called Onpu ugly. You don't tell that to girls. What a dickwad.

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar 7-

I'm zoning out already. There are good ways of doing MOTW and shitty ways like this. This is utterly trite and I'm tempted to skip past all this garbage.

As others have said, it is okay to skip ahead. Once the show finally starts ramping up it is great.

Like Shoji Gatoh of FMP?

Wait, what?

Yeah I kinda blinked at that, too.

Jarmel

Banned
This whole thing is frustrating because the directing is topnotch for the most part and it is a great show visually, it's just the writing is so putrid in that the world building is bland as fuck,that's assuming there is even a world to build, and the characters really aren't that interesting. I really hate how KyoAni waste their time on these stupid LNs (I'm not just talking about KnK) and try not to make something more meaningful or just better. Like can't they hire actual good writers and just do anime originals? BONES does this.

Why does that piss you off? You should be happy that he's doing something he actually enjoys instead of getting involved with garbage like this. He doesn't even work for KyoAni. More power to him I say!

If I'm suffering, everybody should suffer with me.

Like Shoji Gatoh of FMP?

The same one. He's pretty much doing Amagi Park(or something) now and I think he actually started working on FMP Another as well although I'm not sure his involvement on that one.

This whole thing is frustrating because the directing is topnotch for the most part and it is a great show visually, it's just the writing is so putrid in that the world building is bland as fuck,that's assuming there is even a world to build, and the characters really aren't that interesting. I really hate how KyoAni waste their time on these stupid LNs (I'm not just talking about KnK) and try not to make something more meaningful or just better. Like can't they hire actual good writers and just do anime originals? BONES does this.

OK, bringing up BONES when talking about good writing is not the best thing to do, considering their track record of the past several years.

Besides, that is what KyoAni did for Tamako Market, their anime-original IP. Reiko Yoshida isn't perfect, but she is among the upper ranks of anime screenwriters.

CorvoSol

If I'm suffering, everybody should suffer with me.

The same one. He's pretty much doing Amagi Park(or something) now and I think he actually started working on FMP Another as well although I'm not sure his involvement on that one.

There will never be more FMP anime, will there?

Jarmel

Banned
OK, bringing up BONES when talking about good writing is not the best thing to do, considering their track record of the past several years.

Besides, that is what KyoAni did for Tamako Market, their anime-original IP. Reiko Yoshida isn't perfect, but she is among the upper ranks of anime screenwriters.

I'm referring to old BONES. Even now, they're hiring Sato and Nobumoto for Space Dandy.

And I would disagree about Yoshida but then again, considering how piss poor 90% of anime screenwriters are now...

jman2050

Kyoukai no Kanata 5

I loved that last
fireworks scene
because it really impresses on me the fact that I do not give two shits about any character in this show. Except maybe Mitsuki as snarky comic relief but even then that's not enough on its own. Mirai just suuuuucks.

Holy crap though the second half of this episode was just plain bad in just about every non-visual way.

cajunator

Banned
But Chuunibyou S2 also means more Dekomori and Nibutani. Also, didn't they say in the interviews that they were going for more of a full romcom and less drama in S2?

Well, I guess that could be a positive or negative thing depending on your point of view.

Very very positive things.

Theonik

Japan EMS transfers to USPS Express here in the states, which usually makes the whole shipment second day air without too much fuss. Sorry to hear it's otherwise for you guys.
It's not so much an issue of speed though there is a hilarious speed obstacle with Parcelforce. Basically, when a package is held by customs they will clear it for you without asking (unless the sender specifies that they should not but that also means you need to go to the place where the package entered the country which might be the nearest airport or not). When they do that however they charge ~$15 for that 'service' (literally filling in 2 forms) then they lock your package in a box somewhere in their depot where you have to wait for them to deliver an invoice that you can then use online to pay the customs charge + handling fee, which adds a minimum of an extra 2 days in the process when they could just let you pay online from the tracking instead of have you wait.

Ah, I've never been billed customs. Go trade agreements, I guess.
It depends, you can get round it with mail, less so with couriers like EMS. It gets even worse in other countries.

Poor ponies. I'm sure if it were My Little Elephant they would go over better!
Only if Nanami is involved somehow.

Sounds like the best method is for multiple Brit to get together and order their copies together and then split the customs amongst all the parties involved.

Apparently one can somehow say you're going to do the whole customs bit yourself but it requires the sender to add a note or something so it's rather unlikely to work unless your dealing with buying from an individual in Japan. It's been a while since I last looked into it so I may be remembering the details wrong.
You save on the Parcelforce charge but the customs might get higher past a certain value.
And yeah the sender has to mark the package if they don't want the courier doing things with it.

duckroll

Kyoukai no Kanata 5

Holy crap though the second half of this episode was just plain bad in just about every non-visual way.

HI THERE WE'RE MAKING A NUDE MODELING JOKE!

WAIT, NOT A JOKE, IT'S A SERIOUS OFFER!

OKAY NOW WE'RE MAKING A GAG ABOUT LOLI NUDITY!

HAHA, IT'S A JOKE, DID WE FOOL YOU?

WAIT NO, IT'S NOT A JOKE AFTER ALL! TA-DA!

*barf*

Kyoukai No Trying Too Hard 05

You know, this show isn't as bad as I want to make it out to be. If the entire show kept the mellow tone it'd be fantastic. If Akihito stayed depressed or they explored how being a half-youkai affects him more, it'd be fantastic. Instead we get the really forced comedy that makes me cringe, alongside daily life of high school students and then maid outfits.

I don't want to bash the LN, but why? The ED and harry potter like-chanting from the preview give off a great mood. If they had more action involving Akihito it'd be great. But as of right now he hasn't done much besides side-character material, and he's supposedly the protagonist (or one of them)

So, guess who has a copy of LWA being held by Parcel Force? ^^;

Add me to the list of sufferers. Though I survived Parcelforce when I bought the Ultimate Madoka figure, so this isn't that bad in comparison.

Also my waifu was waiting for me when I got home so that dulled the pain.

15059938uwpji.jpg

Really impressed with the quality of this, and it cost me less (INCLUDING shipping) than the freakin' import charges for the LWA blu-ray. Some primal urge compels me to wear it at work during the next charity dress-down day.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The thing is, it's lose/lose for me. The drama was, well, let's just leave that subject alone for now, but as heavy-handed as it was, it was also the only thing that made the romcom stuff bearable to me because there was still this undercurrent of conflict over embracing individuality versus the utility of integrating into society flowing through the interactions.

Now that everyone has this triumphant validation for the weeb LARPing and are (presumably) going to be presented with even less opposition to indulging in their fantasy world and depicted through a totally nonjudgmental, uncritical lens, it sounds pretty insufferable to me. No offense to anyone who enjoys the show; I just don't like anything that actively glorifies otaku lifestyle.

jman2050

HI THERE WE'RE MAKING A NUDE MODELING JOKE!

WAIT, NOT A JOKE, IT'S A SERIOUS OFFER!

OKAY NOW WE'RE MAKING A GAG ABOUT LOLI NUDITY!

HAHA, IT'S A JOKE, DID WE FOOL YOU?

WAIT NO, IT'S NOT A JOKE AFTER ALL! TA-DA!

*barf*

You forgot REQUISITE GRATUITOUS BREAST ENVY GAG AS THE PUNCHLINE

Please come soon Thursday, I'm in desperate need of Mako's nonsensical monologues after this tripe.

Dynedom

No anime to watch on my birthday (dropped KnK and decided to not watch Coppelion). Maybe I should go into my backlog. :(

*foreverbacklog*

In a way, stuff like IS isn't as bad, because it's zero-ambition garbage. KnK is worse because it's talented people making trash with pretensions of quality.

I gotta agree here. That's the perfect description. Imagine what they could make if they buckled down and chose something not from a light novel. Like original material from talented writers. Heck a good seinen manga.

Or what I want them to do because I feel it fits them perfectly, Harry Potter anime. With Ron-senpai and Harry-kun.

cajunator

Banned
Add me to the list of sufferers. Though I survived Parcelforce when I bought the Ultimate Madoka figure, so this isn't that bad in comparison.

Also my waifu was waiting for me when I got home so that dulled the pain.

15059938uwpji.jpg

Really impressed with the quality of this, and it cost me less (INCLUDING shipping) than the freakin' import charges for the LWA blu-ray. Some primal urge compels me to wear it at work during the next charity dress-down day.

WHERE DID YOU BUY THIS WHERE?
WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT

Jarmel

Banned
I gotta agree here. That's the perfect description. Imagine what they could make if they buckled down and chose something not from a light novel. Like original material from talented writers. Heck a good seinen manga.

Or what I want them to do because I feel it fits them perfectly, Harry Potter anime. With Ron-senpai and Harry-kun.

I would fucking kill to see them tackle a Harry Potter anime.

At least KnK is equal opportunity and doesn't limit the lewd behaviour to the males. They threw Aya's character under the bus in episode 5. "NBD, it's for her personal collection."

Wait, what?

I was just yes-anding BGBW, but it would have been a good origin story for me.

That said, a teacher at my school did get fired for telling certain girls they didn't need to do the work because they were pretty, amongst other things, so there was exposure to creepy adult behaviour.

I would fucking kill to see them tackle a Harry Potter anime.
Yeah. They do a fantastic job with setting the mood and animation of magic, this'd be great. Of course it'll never happen but you could do something similar.

No need to imagine, Hyouka already exists.
Was Hyouka based off a LN? Because if so, I'll edit my statement to "good LN" if not, original statement stands. I think the only other anime I found brilliant that is based off a light novel vs a manga was Spice and Wolf. Not Durara. Fuck that thing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It depends, you can get round it with mail, less so with couriers like EMS. It gets even worse in other countries.
No, I kind of get that. It's just that those considerations don't apply when shipping personal orders from Japan to the US. Like I said, to us EMS is just a relatively seamless handoff to USPS Express class (1-2 day air normally) for these kinds of things. Sometimes they'll open up the box for inspection, but that's done without your input.

A signature is required, though, be it at the door or when picking up at the post office if you weren't there for the first delivery attempt. And to be clear, it's not like EMS is cheap for us. It's just not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom