• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's canon fact that Voldemort was no match for a muggle with a gun.

So lucky for him Harry Potter was set in pleasant peaceful Britain then.

cnet128

Banned
BlazBlue Alter Memory 4

I don't completely hate this. There is still some of the BlazBlue fun seeping through. Sadly it is mostly drowning in the non-existent production values. The pacing didn't feel quite as bad in this episode, but the damage has been done, and at any rate it's just a step up from "unimaginably awful" to "mehhhhh".

Basically what I'm saying is where's my Platinum.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
He was, but even Hitler had people he loved, in his own twisted way, and he once had aspirations to be an artist. Voldemort doesn't have anything like that, he's just a jerk to everyone, including his own allies.
Nah, you're right. Having Voldemort be a cartoon sidesteps the uncomfortable idea of people genuinely rallying to his side and not because they're just awful, nasty people.

To be honest, the problem isn't really the "pandering". It's the entire tone of the show and how it is written. It's impossible to salvage it because it's not just about good action or whatever - the direction of the entire series so far is top-tier. That's the ultimate tragedy. It's extremely well directed and well animated, but the material is complete garbage. The things which come out of their mouths is garbage. The subject matter of a number of scenes are garbage. The narrative is garbage. The character relationships and interactions are garbage.

I think that by putting a ton of real effort into the show, KyoAni actually makes it worse, because I think the majority of people who would actually appreciate what goes into it, are not those who would care for what is being made. Those who do care about this sort of material, in my experience, doesn't really ask for much in the way of the effort being put in here. What a waste.

I think I have to agree with you in that the show from a technical standpoint is good, but the material it's working with isn't. As a whole it just isn't doing much for me so I'm likely just going to drop it.

Jarmel

Banned
Nah, you're right. Having Voldemort be a cartoon sidesteps the uncomfortable idea of people genuinely rallying to his side and not because they're just awful, nasty people.

To be fair, trying to depict Hitler in a grey light nowadays is damn near impossible. Not many good ways you can spin genocide.

Branduil

I'll admit that I'm also influenced by the movies/Ralph Fiennes' rather cliched and corny portrayal of the character. But yeah, you bring up another huge problem I have with the story: every single person in Slytherin is a cartoonish stereotype of evil.

To be fair, trying to depict Hitler in a grey light nowadays is damn near impossible. Not many good ways you can spin genocide.

Worked for Orson Scott Card :p

Jarmel

Banned
I'll admit that I'm also influenced by the movies/Ralph Fiennes' rather cliched and corny portrayal of the character. But yeah, you bring up another huge problem I have with the story: every single person in Slytherin is a cartoonish stereotype of evil.

Well except Snape and Draco.

Just portray him as making the MMO of his dreams and locking 10k people into it.

And everything once again, goes back to SAO.

Branduil

Well except Snape and Draco.

They're the exceptions that prove the rule because the only way they get away with it is by acting just as cartoonishly evil as everyone else in Slytherin.

Like I said, it worked when the books were light-hearted and episodic, but when it gets serious, they create tonal and thematic dissonance.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Societies that commit such acts don't believe themselves to be monsters. It's not that Hitler wasn't a bad guy, it's just that the Nazis weren't such an extraordinary case that people can rest easy knowing they'd never be complicit in such things.

After all, we're the "good guys".

Jarmel

Banned
They're the exceptions that prove the rule because the only way they get away with it is by acting just as cartoonishly evil as everyone else in Slytherin.

Like I said, it worked when the books were light-hearted and episodic, but when it gets serious, they create tonal and thematic dissonance.

Well you have Gryffindors such as Dumbledore who are Machiavellian to the core.

They're also kids/teenager books. For the age group, it's fine.

Societies that commit such acts don't believe themselves to be monsters. It's not that Hitler wasn't a bad guy, it's just that the Nazis weren't such an extraordinary case that people can rest easy knowing they'd never be complicit in such things.

After all, we're the "good guys".

However reading some of the reports from the concentration camps and stuff later, some of them knew what they were doing were wrong. You also get the people who just flat out didn't give a fuck.

Edit: I think it was Hoss who would go to his family every night with no worries after killing a swarm of people in the day. He just viewed it as a job.

Branduil

Well you have Gryffindors such as Dumbledore who are Machiavellian to the core.

They're also kids/teenager books. For the age group, it's fine.

Yeah but with Dumbledore that stuff just makes you think "what a badass!"

Sure it's kids' books, but I think kids can have a better grasp of moral ambiguity than that.

Also, there's some disturbing implications to a school having a hat that easily divides the good kids from the bad, if you think about it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
However reading some of the reports from the concentration camps and stuff later, some of them knew what they were doing were wrong. You also get the people who just flat out didn't give a fuck.

Edit: I think it was Hoss who would go to his family every night with no worries after killing a swarm of people in the day. He just viewed it as a job.
Those were just the people who had to get their hands dirty. Most did not.

Branduil

The movies did make things ever worse though, I mean all the Slytherin quidditch players having buckteeth, come on. Not only is evil easily identifiable mentally, but also physically.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah but with Dumbledore that stuff just makes you think "what a badass!"

Sure it's kids' books, but I think kids can have a better grasp of moral ambiguity than that.

Also, there's some disturbing implications to a school having a hat that easily divides the good kids from the bad, if you think about it.

I thought the Dumbledore stuff depicted him in a morally ambiguous manner mostly because he expected and was planning for Harry to bite it at one point in the novels. There is also the stuff in his childhood where it showed that he wasn't that far different from some of the Dark Lord stuff.

I do wish we had seen more adults though in the novels as that might had shown different personalities of people who were in similar houses.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As a sidenote, quidditch is one of the worst sports ever invented.
It's like playing basketball where half-court shots get 200 points and play ends. Of course everything else is rendered moot.

The movies did make things ever worse though, I mean all the Slytherin quidditch players having buckteeth, come on. Not only is evil easily identifiable mentally, but also physically.
Well, you're not supposed to like them!

This really touches on my point. The good guy/bad guy mentality excuses a lot of bad actions.

Gazoinks

Huffle is like the worst house. Nothing worse than being stated that you're a boring person and then grouped with other boring people.

When the alternatives are being pure evil, a hero (and likely dead man walking), and, er, a Ravenclaw, boring isn't really that bad. :p

Dresden

Huffle is like the worst house. Nothing worse than being stated that you're a boring person and then grouped with other boring people.

It's not even that they're boring, it's that they're destined to be incompetent. Griffyndouches are "brave," Ravenclaws are "smart," and Slytherins are evil and stuff. Meanwhile Hufflepuffs are the peasants of the social pyramid. They're basically the peons in a Warcraft orc army going zugzug while logging trees and shit.

Branduil

Animegaf would all be dumped into Hufflepuff. Thanks, Caste Hat.

The monocles would be in Ravenclaw.

It's like playing basketball where half-court shots get 200 points and play ends. Of course everything else is rendered moot.

Yeah, it makes no sense to not have most of the team dedicated to searching for the snitch while one or two people just camp in front of the goal. Also, the nature of the snitch chase makes it very difficult for spectators to follow.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, it makes no sense to not have most of the team dedicated to searching for the snitch while one or two people just camp in front of the goal. Also, the nature of the snitch chase makes it very difficult for spectators to follow.

She made the point gain way too high. It should have been something like 50, that way the team does get a bonus but it's also not impossible to overcome it. TBF we also didn't see the average scores for a Quidditch game. Since some of them went for days, you could theoretically get scores in the hundreds.

I just checked the wiki, one game went for 3 months.

quidditch

Still would be an awesome game to watch.

Branduil

But that motivation "only" ended up to find out he some sick bastard, still make him very compelling character.

The problem isn't a character being a sick bastard, it's when the antagonist is a sick bastard because that's his role in the story rather than because he's a well-developed character with coherent reasons for his behavior.

All this Harry Potter talk and no discussions of Harry Potter waifus/husbandos? smh
K8ttC9h.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does it matter what house you're in? You'd still be spending your evening watching anime rather than joining the others in the common room.

Or in the library researching a Waifu Summoning spell.

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 13 END

NrAuJUK.jpg
fDdUyDK.jpg

Look at all this yuri subtext *MAJOR SPOILERS*
This would be considered incest

Well uh... that was something.
Surprised no one pointed out Fami's uncanny resemblance to Doremi considering Fami is Doremi's grandchild. I guess it could be seen coming when you consider that she too has a massive steak boner.

Actually, TIME TRAVEL, I LIKE HOW ITS OKAY TO JUST WALTZ AROUND LIKE IT WAS NOTHING!

But yes, clearly unfair to let Naisho compete with the other seasons. It was very consistent, and had numerous episodes with fantastic animation. Last episode also had that. Certainly nice that Toei was willing to give us this treat, something we can't expect from Precure (because differenciating cast members).

Spoiler for episode 12
I feel terrible when it was talking about being the seventh apprentice, because I was like whose the sixth? Well technically it's Momo, but she's prominent. I forgot about Pop.

But.... well, maybe I'll do two seperate rankings instead. Will start Dokkaan at some point in the near future.

It's because Harry Potter is a good showcase of developing an interesting world for all audiences, something none of the anime this year have done.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh the bright side the Harry Potter universe was set in the 90s (apparently) so at least we know the anime we would be watching at the time would be better than this lewd filth they serve up today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom