• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
I see that was all that was left of your impressions after they were scrubbed clean to avoid drawing undue attention from the FBI.

It was more an expression of my complete apathy towards the narrative of this show in general.

but yes I totally paused the video to catch the image of nude loli. Sadly it was only visible for one frame and even then the motion blur made it hardly worthwhile.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
He's also such a jerk and so tactically stupid that you wonder why the death eaters don't stage a coup against him. I mean, he gets killed by a freaking baby the first time, and when he comes back he spends all of his time obsessed with that now-teenage boy instead of focusing on world domination and killing the muggles or whatever.
Furthermore, even if that was him being genre savvy, he did an awful job of clamping down on it.

Log Horizon 4

The actual thought put into the MMO mechanics makes the incredibly simplified and poorly explained system of Sword Art Online even more noticeable. Sure, the way the game works makes it easy to just pull techniques out of nowhere to solve a situation, but in no way are these outlandish developments since the abilities could actually exist in these types of games.

This really does feel like an answer to SAO, which seemed to utilize its setting more as a backdrop than an actual important entity with a massive effect on plot developments beyond a few.

Jex

I still need to watch Kyousogiga and Yozakura Quartet, but nothing this season has come close to the hype for me.

Well there's your problem!

There's a lot of different, really well made shows this season that serve a variety of audiences and that's what stands out to me.

Kyousogiga - This is probably one of the shows this season that will have some staying power in the anime scene because it's a real breath of fresh air visually and creatively. The show itself is hard to categorize even if, at heart, it's clear that family relationships are the cornerstone of the work the fantastical setting and manic characters and outstanding art work really set it apart from the rest. Just a pleasure to watch.

Gundam Build Fighters - Surprisingly competent and good looking (read: 2D animation) mecha show ostensibly for children that also serves as an excellent loveletter to the Gundam franchise. A real delight for older Gundam fans who have been saddled with a decade of disappointing shows.

Kyoukai no Kanata - If you don't hate the characters and the story and the writing then this will probably be one of your favorite shows of the year because the production values and direction are through the roof.

Samurai Flamenco - Despite it's somewhat shoddy production quality Samurai Flamenco manages to be a really entertaining superhero character piece which is focused more on talking about the role that heroes play as opposed to just a string of fight scenes. In other words, it's the kind of show you used to get on noitaminA.

Valvrave the Liberator - For those who want their mecha goodness mixed with Code Geass style insanity and surprisingly competent direction, Valvrave is one of the most entertaining titles in some time.

Kill la Kill - A new Imaishi series that has the same style as his earlier works. If you're a fan of what he's done before you'll probably really enjoy this unique blend of action, comedy and silly nonsense.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising - Your standard sport shounen series that's nevertheless pretty well made.

fertygo

If you had said episode 0 I could understand (and disagree), but episodes 2 and 3 aren't any more expository than episode 1 was. If anything, episode 2 was the most obscure of the three. Episode 1 was very straightforward - and that isn't a bad thing!

Well yeah I want to include eps 00 too, but eps 01 has more solid storytelling so the narrative not seem like big mess. The story told like its a fairytale or classic children novel, there's explanatory with what happened.. but in general its a story about mysterious magical world.

Eps 2 and 3 is more conventional with the content about backstory and world-building, its almost like they trying to made sense of this mirror world stuff, which I'm afraid not stuff that I looking forward from this show. Unlike Uchouten Kazoku, I'm not expecting hard authored storytelling in Kyousogiga, I don't want as much detail that making the show have unique pacing.

Jex

[Kyoukai no Kanata] - 5

Duckroll was right. This episode is pretty much at Hyouka levels of production and direction making it one of KyoAni's best looking episodes in years. Beautiful art, interesting cinematography, effective editing and good pacing all come together to make an excellent package. It really, really sucks that something that's been made to such an outstanding level is just utter tripe because that's the source material they're working on. Please make something better next time, KyoAni because you're cutting me deep.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't feel like I am watching the same KnK as other people if it is considered well directed. Complaints of the content aside it feels like it's tripping over itself when it comes to visual consistency.

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 47

Ooohhh God Hana-chan episode.

Seriously, how have there not been more episodes like this one? Hana-chan escapes the attention of the others and goes off on an adventure all on her own around town, and it's the cutest and funniest thing ever.

duckroll

Well yeah I want to include eps 00 too, but eps 01 has more solid storytelling so the narrative not seem like big mess. The story told like its a fairytale or classic children novel, there's explanatory with what happened.. but in general its a story about mysterious magical world.

Eps 2 and 3 is more conventional with the content about backstory and world-building, its almost like they trying to made sense of this mirror world stuff, which I'm afraid not stuff that I looking forward from this show. Unlike Uchouten Kazoku, I'm not expecting hard authored storytelling in Kyousogiga, I don't want as much detail that making the show have unique pacing.

I actually agree with this. It's something I noted before when the series first started. While I appreciate the expanded content and the effort to give more details about the world, I feel like the identity of the material could lost some of its charm by being explained away and presented in chronological order. So far I don't think it has really bothered me yet though, but the concern remains.

Metrotab

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata - 5

What a depraved episode, filled with worthless pande...

rD7ORcg.jpg

4bC62rd.jpg

Ok, never mind.

Branduil

Well there's your problem!

There's a lot of different, really well made shows this season that serve a variety of audiences and that's what stands out to me.

Kyousogiga - This is probably one of the shows this season that will have some staying power in the anime scene because it's a real breath of fresh air visually and creatively. The show itself is hard to categorize even if, at heart, it's clear that family relationships are the cornerstone of the work the fantastical setting and manic characters and outstanding art work really set it apart from the rest. Just a pleasure to watch.

Gundam Build Fighters - Surprisingly competent and good looking (read: 2D animation) mecha show ostensibly for children that also serves as an excellent loveletter to the Gundam franchise. A real delight for older Gundam fans who have been saddled with a decade of disappointing shows.

Kyoukai no Kanata - If you don't hate the characters and the story and the writing then this will probably be one of your favorite shows of the year because the production values and direction are through the roof.

Samurai Flamenco - Despite it's somewhat shoddy production quality Samurai Flamenco manages to be a really entertaining superhero character piece which is focused more on talking about the role that heroes play as opposed to just a string of fight scenes. In other words, it's the kind of show you used to get on noitaminA.

Valvrave the Liberator - For those who want their mecha goodness mixed with Code Geass style insanity and surprisingly competent direction, Valvrave is one of the most entertaining titles in some time.

Kill la Kill - A new Imaishi series that has the same style as his earlier works. If you're a fan of what he's done before you'll probably really enjoy this unique blend of action, comedy and silly nonsense.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising - Your standard sport shounen series that's nevertheless pretty well made.

Kyousogiga, GBF, Valvrave and Ippo I haven't watched yet. The other three have all disappointed me in some way, be it the bleh production value and direction of SF, the atrocious writing of KnK, or the self-indulgent stupidity of KlK.

I actually agree with this. It's something I noted before when the series first started. While I appreciate the expanded content and the effort to give more details about the world, I feel like the identity of the material could lost some of its charm by being explained away and presented in chronological order. So far I don't think it has really bothered me yet though, but the concern remains.

Well, each to their own, but if the series hadn't gained some coherent world-building and comprehensible characterization, I wouldn't enjoy any more than the original ONA, which is to say I would not enjoy it at all. The world of Kyousougiga as first presented wasn't abstract enough for me to just sit back and accept it like I can the world of, say, Cat Soup.

duckroll

Kyousogiga, GBF, Valvrave and Ippo I haven't watched yet. The other three have all disappointed me in some way, be it the bleh production value and direction of SF, the atrocious writing of KnK, or the self-indulgent stupidity of KlK.

You're hard to please. Maybe you should stick to real entertainment like HBO (TM) instead.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I played the first three Sakura Wars games but never got around to seeing the anime.
I'm pretty sure my roommate has the movie on DVD; I should check it one of these days. (Although I guess I should prioritize playing the fourth game first.)

The first 3 games are among my favorite games ever. :3

wonzo

Banned
It was more an expression of my complete apathy towards the narrative of this show in general.

but yes I totally paused the video to catch the image of nude loli. Sadly it was only visible for one frame and even then the motion blur made it hardly worthwhile.

yozaquart61.png

Branduil

You're hard to please. Maybe you should stick to real entertainment like HBO (TM) instead.

I don't think I'm that hard to please, it's just that none of the shows I've watched can even qualify for guilty pleasure status because their flaws are too glaring or distract from the positive aspects.

duckroll

Well, each to their own, but if the series hadn't gained some coherent world-building and comprehensible characterization, I wouldn't enjoy any more than the original ONA, which is to say I would not enjoy it at all. The world of Kyousougiga as first presented wasn't abstract enough for me to just sit back and accept it like I can the world of, say, Cat Soup.

That's not really what I meant. I think the original ONA is pretty whatever. But the second set of ONAs hit a really nice sweet spot. I have nothing against the expansion of the concept, but I get this feeling from time to time while watching the TV series that it might be getting a bit too... obvious so to speak. Part of it is accented by the fact that it reuses so much of the footage from the ONAs, so it feels a bit like the show going out of its way to explain some things which I felt was already obvious without being stated, and a bit like the show trying too hard to give explanations for some things which I feel don't need to be detailed.

I don't think I'm that hard to please, it's just that none of the shows I've watched can even qualify for guilty pleasure status because their flaws are too glaring or distract from the positive aspects.

What I'm saying is, it's time to start watching Boardwalk Empire.

If you need multiple aspects of a show to be perfect, I'd qualify that as hard to please.

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 102

Meleoron is such a total bro. He's awesome.

And oh shit yes the King is playing board games. Now this arc has REALLY started.

How is Hunter x Hunter so goooooooood? (Togashi write more please ~.~)

Go_Ly_Dow

And to think that after this, Here Comes Chooney Boo Boo S2 is Kyoani's next show; a show that will probably make us pine for the days when Kyoani had standards and produced works like Kyokai no Kanata.

just give me more Hyouka god dammit.

That's not really what I meant. I think the original ONA is pretty whatever. But the second set of ONAs hit a really nice sweet spot. I have nothing against the expansion of the concept, but I get this feeling from time to time while watching the TV series that it might be getting a bit too... obvious so to speak. Part of it is accented by the fact that it reuses so much of the footage from the ONAs, so it feels a bit like the show going out of its way to explain some things which I felt was already obvious without being stated, and a bit like the show trying too hard to give explanations for some things which I feel don't need to be detailed.

The TV series is certainly more straightforward than any of the ONAs, but I haven't felt it to be getting too obvious or needlessly expository. The initial sense of wonder that I got from the second and third of the 2012 ONAs may not be as strong anymore, but it's replaced by an understanding of character motivations that the ONAs never gave me, which gives me greater investment in their actions and the story in general. It's an acceptable tradeoff for me, but I can understand how others would feel differently.

The real test of Kyousougiga delivering on its potential will of course come in its second half, when it is not expanding on the 2012 ONAs anymore.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Infinite Stratos S2 1

Lol. This shit is terrible. It's worse than Season 1 with its pandering bullshit. lol. At least the outfits are good? Idk...

Gazoinks

The TV series is certainly more straightforward than any of the ONAs, but I haven't felt it to be getting too obvious or needlessly expository. The initial sense of wonder that I got from the second and third of the 2012 ONAs may not be as strong anymore, but it's replaced by an understanding of character motivations that the ONAs never gave me, which gives me greater investment in their actions and the story in general. It's an acceptable tradeoff for me, but I can understand how others would feel differently.

The real test of Kyousougiga delivering on its potential will of course come in its second half, when it is not expanding on the 2012 ONAs anymore.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes once it really starts moving forward. We got hints of that in the last episode.

fertygo

Yup. The storytelling seem more conventional and reliant to the script if I can say that..

Impression that I get from eps 00 and 01 is the show trying to create storytelling that not dictated by the script, lits the striking storyboard that carrying the most narrative with the script designed to just compliment it, but last two episode have really different approach so I'm not sure anymore.

BluWacky

If nothing this season catches your attention, surely there's stuff from the previous that you may not have gotten to yet?

There were some shows I think are pretty good missing from Branduil's list of good LN adaptations he could check out if he hasn't done so already - Twelve Kingdoms and Boogiepop Phantom immediately sprang to mind, and I'd definitely recommend the Read Or Die OVAs and most of the TV series too.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I can't stop watching this.

What about Pol Pot

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PLXAnZuzXEE/UMtYdeBVDgI/AAAAAAAAo6w/QqEOiElRiss/p049.jpg

?

Jesus this went from Harry Potter anime to concentration camps.

AnimeGAF you don't disappoint.

Roll with the best, scare the rest.

Animegaf would all be dumped into Hufflepuff. Thanks, Caste Hat.

I've always wondered: could a student refuse to be sorted? Like, remain independent? Like, I wouldn't want to be sorted and be forced to be a Republican Slytheran. I guess it could cause housing issues.

Go_Ly_Dow

No can do, KyoAni is committed to incestuously peddling its original and LN properties to exploit for merchandising purposes and other similar aims. Even when they suck.

they will return in full glory after KNK and Chuu-2 are out of the way.

Hyouka Season 2, K-ON! S3 College Years, new Haruhi and a new amazing 20k+ selling series.

BELIEVE!

Branduil

I've always wondered: could a student refuse to be sorted? Like, remain independent? Like, I wouldn't want to be sorted and be forced to be a Republican Slytheran. I guess it could cause housing issues.

Hogwarts' Hufflepuff quotas are unconstitutional, if you ask me.

Branduil

What's wrong with SF's direction?

It's not so much something's wrong with it as it is that it's completely safe and boring. Combined with the mediocre at best visuals and bad music, it's a thoroughly unengaging experience. A show can survive that if it has an incredibly interesting story, but I don't consider SF as having that.

CorvoSol

Angel Cop end

I have no idea what I just watched. It was boring, gory, violent, racist, stupid, objectifying of women once again as it ripped them into pieces, and really, really boring. Like this show starts out as 10 minutes into the future Super Power Japan where cops are trying to keep terrorists under control. Then suddenly there are psychics but the call is coming from inside the house and I don't remember who is a communist and who is a jew but basically there are cyborgs and psychics and what did any of this shit even MEAN?

Like for reals I have no idea what even happened. Show's narrative goes completely insane and manages to be amazingly boring at the same time. Which is the most impressive feature, really: that the show goes bananays and somehow doesn't manage to be interesting even once.

Bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom