• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Jeff

Wasnt Twelve Kingdoms?
What I wouldn't give for a continuation of this. That said, even if it was made, it probably wouldn't look anywhere near as nice.

Also, Crest/Banner was a light novel adaptation as well wasn't it? Or were they just regular, short novels?

Oh the bright side the Harry Potter universe was set in the 90s (apparently) so at least we know the anime we would be watching at the time would be better than this lewd filth they serve up today.

That's the other reason why Harry Potter is a masterpiece compared to what we've been watching this year.

fertygo

The problem isn't a character being a sick bastard, it's when the antagonist is a sick bastard because that's his role in the story rather than because he's a well-developed character with coherent reasons for his behavior.

Just saying the problem is more to the narrative shallow or not than the character trait.

Narag

Part 12 of the Sakuga documentary's up focusing on Tetsuya Takeuchi. Next one's gonna focus on Yuasa.

The one-man episode thing is something I find so intriguing. One of the reasons I want to get to Zambot 3 eventually isn't just to satiate my old school mecha thirst but one of the episodes was key animated by just two guys, one of which was Kanada.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh the bright side the Harry Potter universe was set in the 90s (apparently) so at least we know the anime we would be watching at the time would be better than this lewd filth they serve up today.

But I won't get to see Hermoine twerk.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We all know how people feel about Shinji. Negativity is just going to surround this film now.

My thoughts go to the PR person who lost his job over this.

Moonlight

Banned
Kyousogiga Episode 2

I love everything about this show. I came in riding the hype train hard for KLK into this season, and as much as I adore it, this show came right out of nowhere and blew me away. Aggressively unconventional, absolutely gorgeous, refreshing sense of pace and direction.

I think I particularly love how minimal this show is, in terms of playing its' hand, for lack of a better term. A lot of anime get into this bad habit of either over-expositing or failing to explain literally anything at all, but Kyousogiga strikes a great balance in terms of letting you in on what you need to know (through visual cues or otherwise). It gives you the dots and connecting them from that point on isn't especially hard.

...particularly that moment when Koto sits in the chair,
sees the painting of the black rabbit and the shot pans out to reveal the entrance to Mirror Kyoto.
Coupled with a few more scenes afterwards, almost everything clicked in my head, and it was just... great. There's still a lot that I don't know, but it answers the questions it raises spectacularly. Peeling back mysteries like so many layers.

Mature

Kyousogiga Episode 2

I love everything about this show. I came in riding the hype train hard for KLK into this season, and as much as I adore it, this show came right out of nowhere and blew me away. Aggressively unconventional, absolutely gorgeous, refreshing sense of pace and direction.

I think I particularly love how minimal this show is, in terms of playing its' hand, for lack of a better term. A lot of anime get into this bad habit of either over-expositing or failing to explain literally anything at all, but Kyousogiga strikes a great balance in terms of letting you in on what you need to know (through visual cues or otherwise). It gives you the dots and connecting them from that point on isn't especially hard.

sees the painting of the black rabbit and the shot pans out to reveal the entrance to Mirror Kyoto.
Coupled with a few more scenes afterwards, almost everything clicked in my head, and it was just... great. There's still a lot that I don't know, but it answers the questions it raises spectacularly. Peeling back mysteries like so many layers.
Glad to see this catch on a bit more. Don't forget it's got an OT too.

survivor

Banned
What anime is this gif from?
tumblr_mup0duuWL51qzd219o3_500.gif

Can't recognize the character and Google isn't getting me anything.

cnet128

Banned
Coppelion 5

And suddenly there was evil military.

Interesting things are afoot, and it looks like next episode we will be joined by Isana Yashiro a cool-looking new Coppelion guy.

Jex

I think what this shows is that this season is so disappointing that Harry Potter has provoked better discussion than anything we've said about anime in ages.

I don't think that's necessarily true as a teeny bit of the discussion has been siphoned off into the show-specific threads.

On the contrary, I think this is a pretty excellent season overall and anime fans should feel spoiled for choice.

Kyousogiga Episode 2

Kyousogiga is AOTS.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The problem isn't a character being a sick bastard, it's when the antagonist is a sick bastard because that's his role in the story rather than because he's a well-developed character with coherent reasons for his behavior.
You can have an antagonist that isn't rationalized, but they need to be a force-of-nature presence in the story. They have to be palpably threatening, like Anton Chigurh or Ledger's Joker.

Soma

Decided I'd give the show a shot before long after reading that OT. Wonderfully informative.

Glad you thought so!

I don't make very many threads so I was hoping I did the show some justice by giving people the information they need.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder what the most mentioned anime on GAF is.

Haruhi has to be up there since it always seems to crop up now and then.

Hyouka is also likely giving it a run for its money considering how often you lot bring it up.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't actually see Hyouka mentioned much outside of these community threads. Definitely not the most talked-up show across all of the board.

Maybe DBZ or something.

CorvoSol

Harry's "relationship" with Cho felt worse to me due to Cho not even being a real character.

Not gonna lie, I still prefer Cho to Ginny because FUCK GINNY WEASLY.

Her world building for the most part is still impeccable. Even with some of the more serious elements though, she did a good job. She did screw up in the 7th book though.

I actually liked the 7th book a lot because it took the cast out to explore the world instead of stuck in the school. Book 6 was the worst, though, as nothing happens until the end.

Harry Potter was good before it got serious and we found out Rowling can't write serious and dark worth a crap. That and the consistency of her universe and its magic starts to completely fall apart after 7 lengthy novels.

Also still salty about that stupid Dumbledore reveal to give Rowling more attention.

dat Volfogg tho :(
I already guess being critical for this kind of show not gonna helping, even after get past MOTW eps.. those reused interaction footage still there

Mmmmm Big Volfogg is so good.

I wonder what the most mentioned anime on GAF is.

Haruhi has to be up there since it always seems to crop up now and then.

Hyouka is also likely giving it a run for its money considering how often you lot bring it up.

Utena, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun

Branduil

I don't think that's necessarily true as a teeny bit of the discussion has been siphoned off into the show-specific threads.

On the contrary, I think this is a pretty excellent season overall and anime fans should feel spoiled for choice.

I still need to watch Kyousogiga and Yozakura Quartet, but nothing this season has come close to the hype for me.

Metrotab

Banned
Non Non Biyori - 4

Episodes like this is why I watch slice of life. They just nailed it completely. We were watching over Renge's shoulders as she met her new friend, which culminated into a beautiful emotional moment. Emotionally, I was completely invested.
And yayyy, happy end!

This show does great things with humble material.

Branduil

You can have an antagonist that isn't rationalized, but they need to be a force-of-nature presence in the story. They have to be palpably threatening, like Anton Chigurh or Ledger's Joker.

Yes, that's true. Or for an anime example, Johan Liebert, although in that case he is eventually given a rationalization. But that's because rationalizing the force-of-nature villain is the entire point of Monster.

fertygo

I actually think Kyousogiga losing the pacing that full of charm that not trying to explain much in last 2 episode, its much more like conventional anime now. Hope its get back to the eps 01 style again..

I actually think Kyousogiga losing the pacing that full of charm that not trying to explain much in last 2 episode, its much more like conventional anime now. Hope its get back to the eps 01 style again..

If you had said episode 0 I could understand (and disagree), but episodes 2 and 3 aren't any more expository than episode 1 was. If anything, episode 2 was the most obscure of the three. Episode 1 was very straightforward - and that isn't a bad thing!

Kagami

I cant believe UK mail is that fucked.
EMS is like a godsend over here.

USA USA (in this case it actually works heehee)
For me in Texas, EMS takes 4 days from Japan, while FedEx Priority takes 2 and has more reliable tracking (USPS seems to forget to scan packages half the time so I'm never quite sure when it's getting here). So I like FedEx better when I can get it.
But EMS came through today with anime!

pUBNGmZ.jpg

And miscellaneous anime-related things: http://i.imgur.com/deenDhX.jpg

The Akisora illustration book that came with that issue of Champion RED Ichigo has some illustrations by guest illustrators, one of whom is Komatsu Eeji, the illustrator for the Golden Time novels that have a TV anime running this season, so I figure I'll link of photo of that in case anyone's interested, but although all naughty bits are covered it's still quite NSFW so be warned: http://i.imgur.com/5P8O49u.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes, that's true. Or for an anime example, Johan Liebert, although in that case he is eventually given a rationalization. But that's because rationalizing the force-of-nature villain is the entire point of Monster.
Regardless, if Voldemort had a specific rationale then it would explain specific goals and plots that build to their fulfillment. If he's simply out to tear shit up, then you're left wondering why he twiddles his thumbs so much.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Tokyo Ravens - Episode 4

It's funny that the best episode of this show so far had no action at all.

The best part of the episode was definitely the main character interacting with his Fox Girl familiar for the first time.

Branduil

Regardless, if Voldemort had a specific rationale then it would explain specific goals and plots that build to their fulfillment. If he's simply out to tear shit up, then you're left wondering why he twiddles his thumbs so much.

He's also such a jerk and so tactically stupid that you wonder why the death eaters don't stage a coup against him. I mean, he gets killed by a freaking baby the first time, and when he comes back he spends all of his time obsessed with that now-teenage boy instead of focusing on world domination and killing the muggles or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom