• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

Yo AnimeGAF I figured I wanted to try more anime but haven't a clue where to start and I was hoping for a few pointers. I'm looking for any of these things (roughly in order of priority), the more of them the better.

Weird stuff = Scary stuff
good worldbuilding = elaborate plots/character dynamics
ridiculous melodrama
good fight sequences=humor
BL (the less noncon the better)/ homoerotic subtext

Yo AnimeGAF I figured I wanted to try more anime but haven't a clue where to start and I was hoping for a few pointers. I'm looking for any of these things (roughly in order of priority), the more of them the better.

ridiculous melodrama

Ojamajo Doremi fits pretty well for 2 (both world building and and character dynamics) and 3. 5 kinda happens, but it's not prevalent/looking too hard for things. 1.... there's weird stuff. 4, there's humor! IT FITS EVERYTHING!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

ridiculous melodrama
try No. 6?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Wait why are you guys talking about Harry Potter?

Wait...this isn't the Harry Potter and Hitler thread?! :O

ridiculous melodrama

Code Geass
No. 6

BluWacky

ridiculous melodrama

You should watch X (the TV series, not the film) for all of the above except humour.

Thanks, Dumbledore.

And Obama
khYPfuB.gif

duckroll

Weird stuff
ridiculous melodrama
good fight sequences
homoerotic subtext

Fate/Zero

Weird stuff
elaborate plots/character dynamics
ridiculous melodrama

Valvrave
Star Driver
Code Geass

ridiculous melodrama
homoerotic subtext

Gundam Build Fighters

Weird stuff
elaborate plots/character dynamics
ridiculous melodrama

Kill la Kill
Gurren Lagann

elaborate character dynamics

Samurai Flamenco

Branduil

ridiculous melodrama

Watch From the New World.

Still enjoying KnK, Mitsuki is so best

I don't like her precisely because I feel like the show wants me to like her. I like her snarkiness, I like her character design, but I don't exactly like her as a character.

I'm not entirely sure that makes much sense at all.

Anyway,
Hiroomi/Akihito BL doujinshi when?

why not just say rape or is this just fujoshi/fudanshi speak trying to downplay how rapey most yaoi/bl shit is

It's kind of like saying the n word instead of n
igger
. We know what you're saying, just fucking say it instead of dancing around it.

Bleh. Took me time to figure out Noncon myself.

BluWacky

why not just say rape or is this just fujoshi/fudanshi speak trying to downplay how rapey most yaoi/bl shit is

It's a fanfic term for rape stories of any orientation; while it applies mostly to slash because of the nature of fanfic, it's used for hetero stuff too.

Otherwise, the point stands - it just means rapey.

Caladrius

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'm gonna give these a try and maybe post impressions

Noncon is sometimes used in other contexts, I just use it because I'm one of those people that worries about triggers and all that.

I've been trying to look for BL that doesn't have any period but the only one I've found (Bukiyou na silent I think) switches gears to a beta couple that I didn't care about. I love the bishonen aesthetic and mushiness, I don't like the constant obsession with molestation and people forcing themselves on each other.

"The suspect was arrested on suspicion of noncon" does sound more palatable. It's like saying "passed away" instead of "died", but out of respect for a criminal in this case :p

Andrew J.

Kyoukai no Kanata 05

I guess I must really like Monogatari to find even this artless knock-off mildly entertaining.

Also, delicious Mitsuki/Mirai :sdburton.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My innocent mind first thought non contact like a love across the room that never came to be.

Then I looked it up and my innocent mind was noncon'd.

As much as I enjoyed it, I can't help but criticize the series for its heteronormativity.
Everyone is bisexual (or, considering the fact that they have bonobo genes spliced into them, Pansexual
okay that's a horrible joke please shoot me
), but only until they're adults, when suddenly everyone is in a heterosexual relationship. I'm aware of the way the society and people were intentionally engineered so it would be like that, but it bothers me as a bisexual that the whole "it's only a phase" meme is essentially made into a plot point.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Infinite Stratos S2 2

Having action that lasts longer that a minute makes this episode better than the last. Having more bullshit pandering and ass shots detract from it. Damn you three episode rule. You know what? Fuck it. DROPPED. Moving on to something else now.

Articalys

There is apparently another Ghibli movie opening in 2 months that is not Kaguya Hime... its Yume to Kyouki no Oukoku or "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" and it sounds like its a documentary on Ghibli.

The description says that its gonna be about the relationship of the 3 men who form the backbone of Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and producer Toshio Suzuki.
Dragging this out from the archives, since there's been a bit of new news on it:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-kingdom-of-dreams-and-madness-gets-subtitles
The official Twitter account for Studio Ghibli's international arm noted on Wednesday that the staff is working on subtitles for Yume to Kyōki no Ōkoku (The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness), the upcoming documentary about the acclaimed anime studio. Director Mami Sunada (Ending Note: Death of a Japanese Salaryman) followed Ghibli director Hayao Miyazaki as he worked on the Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises) film, director Isao Takahata as he worked on the film Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (The Tale of Princess Kaguya), and producer Toshio Suzuki as he worked on both projects.
Seven minute digest preview video of the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYYdevvn1vc

The Ghibil Int'l Twitter also has been talking about subtitles for Kaguya, though of course they haven't announced any plans on screening it internationally yet.

ridiculous melodrama

Tsuritama
Fafner
Natsume
Cutcle Detective Inaba
Karneval
Makai Ouji

Branduil

As much as I enjoyed it, I can't help but criticize the series for its heteronormativity.
Everyone is bisexual (or, considering the fact that they have bonobo genes spliced into them, Pansexual
okay that's a horrible joke please shoot me
), but only until they're adults, when suddenly everyone is in a heterosexual relationship. I'm aware of the way the society and people were intentionally engineered so it would be like that, but it bothers me as a bisexual that the whole "it's only a phase" meme is essentially made into a plot point.

I don't think the story approves of that any more than it approves of
murdering your own children and erasing all memories of them.

• Little Busters English - 01
Greg Ayres as Misato.

No. Just, no. This guy needs to never ever ever be in anime again I am so sick of his voice

I like the voice actor for Riki, even if I recognize it as the "Little Kid Voice From All Key Animes"

...and Brittney Karbowski once again typecast as "Love Interest From All Key Animes". At least she won't be the one saying wafu~~ here. I think she has a little too 'much' attitude in her voice for Rin.

This is probably my least favorite dubbed KEY anime. The acting is even more poor than it usually is. Everyone has just been completely miscast in this one. Which is a shame, because it's my second favorite KEY show.

cajunator

Banned

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

From Ebay, though I've seen it around on various other sites.

This is another Ebay listing of the same t-shirt from the same seller I bought mine from. Comes with free international P&P!

I am so buying this. thank you!

BlazBlue Alter Memory 4

I don't completely hate this. There is still some of the BlazBlue fun seeping through. Sadly it is mostly drowning in the non-existent production values. The pacing didn't feel quite as bad in this episode, but the damage has been done, and at any rate it's just a step up from "unimaginably awful" to "mehhhhh".

Basically what I'm saying is where's my Platinum.

Yeah. No Platinum no fucking sale!

Noucome 4

not a very choicey episode more like a setting up for the next episode-episode

soon
we meet the rest of the reject 5!

Will watch tonight.

WAT

All this Harry Potter talk and no discussions of Harry Potter waifus/husbandos? smh

OMG @ Hermione

Yay! It came!

:D !

For me in Texas, EMS takes 4 days from Japan, while FedEx Priority takes 2 and has more reliable tracking (USPS seems to forget to scan packages half the time so I'm never quite sure when it's getting here). So I like FedEx better when I can get it.
But EMS came through today with anime!

pUBNGmZ.jpg

And miscellaneous anime-related things: http://i.imgur.com/deenDhX.jpg

The Akisora illustration book that came with that issue of Champion RED Ichigo has some illustrations by guest illustrators, one of whom is Komatsu Eeji, the illustrator for the Golden Time novels that have a TV anime running this season, so I figure I'll link of photo of that in case anyone's interested, but although all naughty bits are covered it's still quite NSFW so be warned: http://i.imgur.com/5P8O49u.jpg

EMS does typically come through in terms of quality of service. I always feel secure getting stuff shipped through EMS.

It's not so much something's wrong with it as it is that it's completely safe and boring. Combined with the mediocre at best visuals and bad music, it's a thoroughly unengaging experience. A show can survive that if it has an incredibly interesting story, but I don't consider SF as having that.

If you say so. I haven't really noticed any issues, and I'm not sure if most people would provided they enjoyed the premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom