• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Yo AnimeGAF I figured I wanted to try more anime but haven't a clue where to start and I was hoping for a few pointers. I'm looking for any of these things (roughly in order of priority), the more of them the better.

Weird stuff = Scary stuff
good worldbuilding = elaborate plots/character dynamics
ridiculous melodrama
good fight sequences=humor
BL (the less noncon the better)/ homoerotic subtext

Just wanted to second the Shinsekai Yori/From the New World recommendation. It absolutely nails all of your first four top points.

- It's most definitely weird - I don't think I've seen another anime like it
- It can be incredibly creepy (mostly in the subtle "unsettling atmosphere" sense, which there is a lot of, but there's at least one memorable episode that is basically a beautifully-executed horror movie).
- The worldbuilding is practically unparalleled in the medium and one of the biggest draws of the show
- The plot and character dynamics go all over the place, with tons of development and shifting of focus, while still remaining coherent.

I'm not sure I'd call the series melodramatic per se, it's not really humorous, and fighting isn't really a focus (though it does have some great and unique action sequences here and there), but it nails those top four points so perfectly that I think you'd be crazy not to give it a good try.

...And there is most certainly some serious homoeroticism in there.

Just finished episode 1 of Samurai Flamenco. I quite enjoyed it, and it has potential to be good.

Anyone else watching it?

I am watching it, and I am loving it.

Kikarian

Yo AnimeGAF I figured I wanted to try more anime but haven't a clue where to start and I was hoping for a few pointers. I'm looking for any of these things (roughly in order of priority), the more of them the better.

ridiculous melodrama
Highschool of The Dead

Kansoku

ridiculous melodrama

How come no one mentioned the Monogatari sereis?
Full of wierd stuff, characters dialog are everything, it could pass as melodrama, awesome fights and great humor. BL only on Nise tough.

cajunator

Banned
Tokyo Ravens - Episode 4

It's funny that the best episode of this show so far had no action at all.

The best part of the episode was definitely the main character interacting with his Fox Girl familiar for the first time.

That Fox girl. OH MY GOD.

Log Horizon has the worst OP of the season.

Database Database.

It really does, but its still hard to forget.

Log Horizon 4

The actual thought put into the MMO mechanics makes the incredibly simplified and poorly explained system of Sword Art Online even more noticeable. Sure, the way the game works makes it easy to just pull techniques out of nowhere to solve a situation, but in no way are these outlandish developments since the abilities could actually exist in these types of games.

This really does feel like an answer to SAO, which seemed to utilize its setting more as a backdrop than an actual important entity with a massive effect on plot developments beyond a few.

I do like how Log horizon at least tries in that aspect. It doesnt feel like a throwaway gimmick. It feels like there was actual thought put into the setting and the environments and how characters react to it.

Well there's your problem!

There's a lot of different, really well made shows this season that serve a variety of audiences and that's what stands out to me.

Kyoukai no Kanata - If you don't hate the characters and the story and the writing then this will probably be one of your favorite shows of the year because the production values and direction are through the roof.

You actually recommended that? Im proud of you.

Infinite Stratos S2 1

Lol. This shit is terrible. It's worse than Season 1 with its pandering bullshit. lol. At least the outfits are good? Idk...

Its freaking awesome is what it is. AOTY.

There were some shows I think are pretty good missing from Branduil's list of good LN adaptations he could check out if he hasn't done so already - Twelve Kingdoms and Boogiepop Phantom immediately sprang to mind, and I'd definitely recommend the Read Or Die OVAs and most of the TV series too.

Read or Die OVA is AMAZING.
Everyone should watch it if they havent.

The KirbYayoi Special: Magical DoReMi 36

So Onpu is named Ellie. Clearly an Ellen Page reference.

Terrible 4kids soundtrack as per usual, I felt like killing my ears here... OH WAIT

Ellie's-- I mean Onpu's voice sucks ass. Why does it feel like they're forcing the voices here?

I will give 4kids props for one thing. They made Aiko's lack of interest in men more apparent.

Other than that.... Ugggh. Aiko's dub voice existence makes me wonder how in the fuck did anyone survive this show under their wings? Holy shit. I blame peaceiscloser.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That Fox girl. OH MY GOD.

It really does, but its still hard to forget.

I do like how Log horizon at least tries in that aspect. It doesnt feel like a throwaway gimmick. It feels like there was actual thought put into the setting and the environments and how characters react to it.

You actually recommended that? Im proud of you.

Its freaking awesome is what it is. AOTY.

Read or Die OVA is AMAZING.
Everyone should watch it if they havent.
Looks like I need to add tokyo ravens to my must watch list

Kyousougiga TV 04

D'aaaaw Yase's just a big softy in the end.

This has been bothering me for a while about the siblings but....

Doesn't it seem a bit unfair that all they want to come back is the mom and they keep talking about the mom? Jesus the dad was there too. Yase especially seems to not care about the dad at all. Only Koto and the head priest seem to truly care about the dad over the mom

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kyokai no Kanata 05:

The show's much better at action than it is at fanservice. FS doesn't really suit KyoAni anyway, they should just stick to kickass action stuff.

So Serial Experiment Lain. Worth watching? I'm not big on little girl anime. Madoka was the first if I recall. But I am big on very good grim dark.

It's my absolute favorite anime series of all time (well, it's tied with Paranoia Agent). It's about a 14-year-old girl, yes, but it pretty much avoids all anime conventions (probably intentionally), so it's not a "little girl anime" in any traditional sense of the word.

I wouldn't really describe it as grimdark. I would describe it as extremely contemplative and often depressing, but not grimdark. This is partly due to the fact that the series is really not all that violent (which I generally consider to be an important factor in grimdark), and also because of the fact that it's (mostly) far, far too understated to be anything resembling what most people would describe as grimdark.

It's absolutely worth watching, but I'm not entirely sure you'd like it. I'd say it's extremely divisive. People who love it tend to think it's absolutely amazing, and people who hate it think it's the most pretentious and boring thing they've ever watched.

It's worth giving a shot, though.

cnet128

Banned
How come no one mentioned the Monogatari sereis?
Full of wierd stuff, characters dialog are everything, it could pass as melodrama, awesome fights and great humor. BL only on Nise tough.

It does indeed fit a large number of the criteria and is a great series that everyone should check out.

I think the only reason I didn't mention it was because the huge quantities of female fanservice and overt heterosexuality it contains seem so diametrically opposed to that one last criterion xp

It's my absolute favorite anime series of all time (well, it's tied with Paranoia Agent). It's about a 14-year-old girl, yes, but it pretty much avoids all anime conventions (probably intentionally), so it's not a "little girl anime" in any traditional sense of the word.

I wouldn't really describe it as grimdark. I would describe it as extremely contemplative and often depressing, but not grimdark. This is partly due to the fact that the series is really not all that violent (which I generally consider to be an important factor in grimdark), and also because of the fact that it's (mostly) far, far too understated to be anything resembling what most people would describe as grimdark.

It's absolutely worth watching, but I'm not entirely sure you'd like it. I'd say it's extremely divisive. People who love it tend to think it's absolutely amazing, and people who hate it think it's the most pretentious and boring thing they've ever watched.

It's worth giving a shot, though.

I'm all for artsy anime that can be polarizing. As long as it's not as fucking slow as Tehxno.. something it has a confusing name. It's the one where nothing happens on screen and there's little dialogue for 90% of an episode. I dropped that faster than I drop the bass.

I'm all for artsy anime that can be polarizing. As long as it's not as fucking slow as Tehxno.. something it has a confusing name. It's the one where nothing happens on screen and there's little dialogue for 90% of an episode. I dropped that faster than I drop the bass.

Texhnolyze is by three-quarters of the same creative team. Ryutaro Nakamura didn't direct it, but Yoshitoshi ABe did the character design, Chiaki Konaka wrote it, and Yasuyuki Ueda produced it.

Make of that what you will.

7Th

Doesn't it seem a bit unfair that all they want to come back is the mom and they keep talking about the mom? Jesus the dad was there too. Yase especially seems to not care about the dad at all. Only Koto and the head priest seem to truly care about the dad over the mom

Yase hated the original Myoue from the start because he made her an oni.

Texhnolyze is by three-quarters of the same creative team. Ryutaro Nakamura didn't direct it, but Yoshitoshi ABe did the character design, Chiaki Konaka wrote it, and Yasuyuki Ueda produced it.

Make of that what you will.

Shit. Well. Whenever I watch it I'll give it the 3 episode rule. Unless people remember where it gets really good, like with Madoka (episode 4 and above)

Yase hated the original Myoue from the start because he made her an oni.

See I get that. But
the eldest also seems to constantly mention bringing back rabbit koto. Even though his flashbacks in the previous episode were largely comprised of memories of the original Myoue

Gbraga

And I definitely agree that the best parts of Tokyo Ravens have no action at all, it was even kind of werid reading that, I guess I just got used to see the action as filler so I never even thought about it being one of the main stuff

Shit. Well. Whenever I watch it I'll give it the 3 episode rule. Unless people remember where it gets really good, like with Madoka (episode 4 and above)

Texhnolyze may take more than your three episode rule to get to the goods and actually understand everything.

1337051454707.png

Texhnolyze may take more than your three episode rule to get to the goods and actually understand everything.

I guess that, to be fair, I was still in my "not as into anime" phase back.. maybe 3-4 years ago? I'll give it another try. But I hope that graph holds true that I'll at least start to get interested by episode 5-6.

Kyousougiga 04

I really liked this ONA episode when it first aired and I just absolutely love it now.

All that depth they provided to Yase was just adorable and really makes me like her as a character even more.

Texhnolyze is pretty slow throughout, watching the events unfold and causing even more spectacles is all worth it though. The atmosphere's dark, overbearing, and makes you feel depressed as a motherfucker, but it all really comes together in a pretty un-traditional manner.

CorvoSol

You shouldn't be as disappointed with the next entry, although I should warn you it DOES have dull moments.

And remember, made by the God of Manga himself. lol

Who is the God of Manga?

Also I'm halfway through Bagi and I will have words to say at the end.

more push for corvo to watch ojamajo doremi

I need to finish what I'm watching and watch Mazinger and Getter is what I need to watch.

Let him finish the list first.

Or at least, don't let him stop on Angel Cop. :/

Angel Cop so bad.

Metrotab

Banned
Spice and Wolf - 9

I may be just insanely out of touch with the mediaeval world and the practices of animal husbandry, but how exactly does a shepherd fight off a pack of wolves? Ring the bell really loudly? Beat them with a stick? It looks like you could be easily overwhelmed by a group of strong, aggressive dogs.

The KirbYayoi Special: Magical DoReMi 36

Aiko's dub voice existence makes me wonder how in the fuck did anyone survive this show under their wings? Holy shit. I blame peaceiscloser.

The voices are grating as heck, but at least they're not as lifeless as OH GOSH LITTLE BUSTERS ENGLISH AAAAAAAAAAA

Started watching Walkure Romanze. Will post stuff when I actually have time to finish and get on my computer.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Strike the Blood 1

I sort of like the premise of the show but the fanservice is offputtting. Anyway, there's something really really off about how the colors work in this show. First of all, the eyes look really really freaky on almost all of the characters except the the main guy. The way the colors filter everything also looks weird. Visually it's very... unsettling. Like something is composed in an extremely weird fashion. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom