• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyoukai no Crap 5

9f18fuN.gif

Arcticfox

Well. Crunchyroll manga looks inferior to the scanlated versions. Whats up with that?
I just tried checking out a chapter. I can not find a way to zoom or set it to full screen. Am I missing something? Do you get an HD version if you pay? I could not read half the text on the first page I saw.

The KirbYayoi Special: Magical DoReMi 36

So Onpu is named Ellie. Clearly an Ellen Page reference.

Terrible 4kids soundtrack as per usual, I felt like killing my ears here... OH WAIT

Ellie's-- I mean Onpu's voice sucks ass. Why does it feel like they're forcing the voices here?

I will give 4kids props for one thing. They made Aiko's lack of interest in men more apparent.

Other than that.... Ugggh. Aiko's dub voice existence makes me wonder how in the fuck did anyone survive this show under their wings? Holy shit. I blame peaceiscloser.

There are a lot of things I can handle when it comes to anime, and this dub is not one of them. I only saw more episodes of this abomination of a dub just to see how bad it got, and I couldn't believe that it got progressively worse as it went on.

But that's 4Kids for you. Did you people know that they actually edited DBZ Kai for Vegeta to say "Galick Blast" instead of gun? When I saw that, I couldn't facepalm hard enough.

Nafe

I guess I never thought of Dusk Maiden as being conventionally horror, but I guess it is. lol

Young, cute, busty girls make for scary ghosts don't you know? Haha.

I liked how Yuuko was such a tease. Nekomimi! Haha.

It's not hipster to like old things! It only is if you do it ironically!

I looked up hipster the one time and some places were saying it was someone who basically just went along with whatever was popular or the current fad and other places were saying the exact opposite, where someone basically does their own thing. I don't even know anymore,haha.

The problem is that there is a US company that supposedly owns some of the rights to the show. I have no idea if it's all rights or broadcast rights or whatever, but there's one of the hang ups.
They probably are asking for a fair bit of money as well, since it is a "big" franchise... that, and, at the time anyway, they probably didn't want to cannibalize their own sales given how they were putting it out in this weird way.

Oh yeah, that whole Star Blazers thing. I forgot that I even looked up a YouTube video that was a trailer with English subtitles and when they mentioned the Yamato the subs had some other name. Well, I guess I just hope that some way more people could see it anyway. :(

Dayumn, that's Ice Cold.

Forget Regulus, I missed Solune!

I like your new avatar as well. :)

No anime to watch on my birthday (dropped KnK and decided to not watch Coppelion). Maybe I should go into my backlog. :(

*foreverbacklog*

Happy Birthday Dynedom. Hopefully you had a good day.
There's some good stuff in that backlog though. ;)

Harry Potter was good before it got serious and we found out Rowling can't write serious and dark worth a crap. That and the consistency of her universe and its magic starts to completely fall apart after 7 lengthy novels.

I never read any of the novels and haven't seen all the films but the story and its magic seemed rather arbitrary right from the first film to me.

Also, there's some disturbing implications to a school having a hat that easily divides the good kids from the bad, if you think about it.

That's another part that comes across as kind of strange. If that hat can basically screen people for who's good and bad then why teach the kids who are likely to be bad all these dangerous magic spells?

Also, Crest/Banner was a light novel adaptation as well wasn't it? Or were they just regular, short novels?

I haven't read any of them but I always thought they were more regular novels such as From the New World? Unless maybe there was some kind of classification switch that Hyouka underwent, going from one to the other.

Moonlight

Banned
Spice and Wolf - 9

I may be just insanely out of touch with the mediaeval world and the practices of animal husbandry, but how exactly does a shepherd fight off a pack of wolves? Ring the bell really loudly? Beat them with a stick? It looks like you could be easily overwhelmed by a group of strong, aggressive dogs.
I always figured it meant that the shepherd knew how to navigate the route/how best to avoid the wolves.

There are a lot of things I can handle when it comes to anime, and this dub is not one of them. I only saw more episodes of this abomination of a dub just to see how bad it got, and I couldn't believe that it got progressively worse as it went on.

But that's 4Kids for you. Did you people know that they actually edited DBZ Kai for Vegeta to say "Galick Blast" instead of gun? When I saw that, I couldn't facepalm hard enough.

Makes me think of farting.

zeroshiki

Spice and Wolf - 9

I may be just insanely out of touch with the mediaeval world and the practices of animal husbandry, but how exactly does a shepherd fight off a pack of wolves? Ring the bell really loudly? Beat them with a stick? It looks like you could be easily overwhelmed by a group of strong, aggressive dogs.

Lassie taught me that they have shepherd dogs.

Theonik

Eden of the East 05
Cigars. RIIIIIIP.
Also the uncle scene was good. Seems like more of the darker stuff is about to be set in motion too.

Quasar

I just tried checking out a chapter. I can not find a way to zoom or set it to full screen. Am I missing something? Do you get an HD version if you pay? I could not read half the text on the first page I saw.

Yeah. I've wondering if its just an issue of the flash viewer thats used. I would have checked the iPad version, but you can only use that if you are a paying subscriber. No free access to the add supported versions it seems there.

I don't think the story approves of that any more than it approves of
murdering your own children and erasing all memories of them.

Well, perhaps, but I feel like, when creating a series that has a significant LGBT presence, one should take a lot of care not to reproduce any sort of negative and/or repressive cultural norms about sexuality and gender identity, of which "it's just a phase" absolutely is, especially with regard to nonmonosexuality.

Of course, I'm not saying it was intentional. However, it's somewhat disappointing, because it's based on an award-winning science fiction novel, and science fiction tends to have a progressive (or, in the case of authors like Ursula K. Le Guin, Octavia Butler, or Iain M. Banks, radical) streak. I mean, the setting is dystopian, but I don't really know if that's an excuse for depicting bisexuality as the norm, but then fucking it up by
making it only a thing during people's teens in order to let the whole bonobo sex-as-conflict-resolution thing run its course without any risk of pregnancies, with everyone suddenly reverting to heterosexuality upon reaching adulthood

I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting.

Sain sey- We don't have money anymore - 77

i feared this ...

Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2077.jpg

How horrible !

...but it happened anyway !

You've made a splendid episode full of good animation and special effects ?( epp 76 ) No don't have money anymore guys !!

If they didn't use the stock footage they had on stock , the episode would have been really crap , as it stand it's only half crappy... thank god there was this CONVENIENT SMOKE so that nobody could see properly !

This episode was horrible all on aspects

Everyone : "we need a plan because we are near the boss castle and the plaza is full of strong guys "

Subaru : " screw that ! why should i hide ? i'm gonna go straight ahead like a moron ! "

-------------
Seriously , they are making the character bad on purpose.

Dresden

Of course, I'm not saying it was intentional. However, it's somewhat disappointing, because it's based on an award-winning science fiction novel, and science fiction tends to have a progressive (or, in the case of authors like Ursula K. Le Guin, Octavia Butler, or Iain M. Banks, radical) streak. I mean, the setting is dystopian, but I don't really know if that's an excuse for depicting bisexuality as the norm, but then fucking it up by
making it only a thing during people's teens in order to let the whole bonobo sex-as-conflict-resolution thing run its course without any risk of pregnancies, with everyone suddenly reverting to heterosexuality upon reaching adulthood

Think about what happened to Maria,
where it wasn't just a bonobo gene induced phase.

Sweet Jesus

i limited myself to only 1 screenshot
but seriously the entire episode was either "that" or standstill pictures with some effects
or stock footage.

75% of the episode was in a convenient smoke screen where you can't see properly meaning that they have the perfect escuse to not show anything.

It looks ugly because the pic is in 720p

it's ugly no matter the resolution ... if you're not satisfied i'll provide an array of picture from that episode and you'll be forced to admit that it's horrible.

--------------------
Blazblue - 04

It's was "ok" ? they have changed the timeline a little ..anyway it's hard to understand litchi problem without arakune .. they covered most of the stuff with rachel in the white room properly even if they did leave some stuff out.

makoto & noel flashback was alright but it exist only because they aren't bothering to explain the setting properly

Bang is still MIA and i'm not even talking about platinium

Better than the last 3 episodes but that was because there wasn't any fight in this episode

zeroshiki

it's ugly no matter the resolution ... if you're not satisfied i'll provide an array of picture from that episode and you'll be forced to admit that it's horrible.

Its lacking dynamic lighting and particle effects in 720p!!

I don't actually know what any of this means

Its lacking dynamic lighting and particle effects in 720p!!

I don't actually know what any of this means

i understand ... i understand very well ..

So take THIS
Particle effects
SSO-77_01.jpg

look at all this smoke , we can't see , but hey , everyone is talking casually as if this is normal. thankfully we won't have to animate anything
SSO-77_02.jpg

The ennemies ? Either we have this cheap shot where we see nothing , or we have this horrible shot of their bottom for no reason

Dynamic lightning !!
SSO-77_03.jpg

Not bright enough ? we can make it brighter !! so you won't see the cheap looking backgrounds !
SSO-77_04.jpg

Aren't these color effects great , nevermind that the faces are horrible ...
So yeah , this episode is just very bad visually.

Polar Bear Cafe 27

HOLY SHIT! More Baseball!

Jesus fucking christ Polar Bear
HE FUCKING CHEESED THE LAST INNING BY SUMMONING MAMA RED SQUIRREL MULTIPLE TIMES BECAUSE OF THEIR SMALL STRIKE ZONE! Holy fucking shit!

Hoooly shit. I think Polar Bear is a master of Styling and Profiling.

i don't understand how this could happen when they could animate that sea so well , it look almost real .

---------------
Kyoukai no kanata - 05
It's beautifull but it's ... meh ?

The episode was kinda alright but nothing that great .. it helps that the anime is beautifull so i can look forward to some tiny bit of fighting here and there

Clannad 13-14

That was a touching two episodes wrapping up Kotomi's arc.
At first I was wondering how douchey Tomoya could be by ditching Kotomi's birthday in the past, glad that was explained. What bugged me a little bit is how did Tomoya fix the garden up with new grass and flowerbed in four days? Pretty sure plants don't grow that fast...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Young, cute, busty girls make for scary ghosts don't you know? Haha.

I liked how Yuuko was such a tease. Nekomimi! Haha.
In terms of revenge-ghosts, she is probably the best kind to have. :p

I looked up hipster the one time and some places were saying it was someone who basically just went along with whatever was popular or the current fad and other places were saying the exact opposite, where someone basically does their own thing. I don't even know anymore,haha.
It's because hipster has come to mean both - the people who find new fads and the people who chase those fads. lol

Oh yeah, that whole Star Blazers thing. I forgot that I even looked up a YouTube video that was a trailer with English subtitles and when they mentioned the Yamato the subs had some other name. Well, I guess I just hope that some way more people could see it anyway. :(
We'll see how it goes. It could be totally fucked by the time it actually comes out legitimately here. :(

Forget Regulus, I missed Solune!
Come to IRC! lol

CorvoSol

As you all know, I have been watching my way through the list. Two of the shows I've seen so far have been terrible, boring, awful, and barely worth my time. As for Bagi, well, I'll get to it in a moment. But I feel a fair warning is in order for you of weak constitutions who for some silly reason cannot stand overly long posts. This one is going to be lengthy and image laden, because I feel there are enough shots in Bagi worth commenting on to justify that with me bringing in precious few external shots.

So, here's the skinny: When I first realized this was a movie about a boy's romance with a furry, I won't deny I was put off. When I found out it was an oldish anime, too, I was a bit concerned. That said: I actually really enjoyed this movie. I mean yes, it was a movie about a sexualized cat woman and a doofy boy and had a kinda crummy plot, but on the other hand, it was fun, and had a certain charm to it, and unlike the last two entries on the list, the plot wasn't so offensively dull that my mind was sent outward. In fact, I must confess that at no point in this movie did I actually feel fatigued or bored, which is more than I can say for a good deal of anime.

So what is Bagi, you ask? Bagi is a love story about Heero Yuy and Hitokage's avatar. Look at our protagonist here for a minute, will you?

Now tell me he doesn't look like Heero or Sousuke.

Now, let's take a quick look at the leading lady, shall we?
Is she female? Check. Is she Purple? Check. Is she an anthro? Check. Hitokage's avatar right here, folks.

Anyway, the film begins with this kick-ass western scene, with the hero and some goofy little kid out hunting a monster. At one point the kid uses a flipping Lightsaber to slice Piranhas. I kid you not. Then we flash back to when Heero Yuy was a teenager. He used to be a Go-Ganger! Don't ask what that is, it is never explained.

The film has some spotty animation, since it is literally a billion years old, but the character designs are some of the most endearing I've ever seen, since, unlike modern anime, not everyone is perfectly proportioned and beautiful, but people aren't necessarily UGLY, either. They're just unattractive, and it works.

Anyway, he and his buddies run into a terrifying woman, and they decide to hunt her down, but she's some kind of speaking cat-lady! And so they run in terror. Which leads to this amazing acid trip bike ride:

itHPBiG1lNlzm.gif

Heero comes home and is scolded by his eyeless father. There is a sequence which portrays a deeply dysfunctional, broken home, but in a very comical way. Not sure why. Going to bed without dinner, Heero is surprised to find Edward Cullen Hitokage's Avatar in his bedroom! He refuses to believe she is who she says she is, his childhood pet, until he, um, he complies with her request to "smell my fur."

And he does it this way:

Now, don't hate me, but this in fact the point where I realized where this is a cheesier, less heart warming, more sexualized version of Wolf Children. Now, unlike Wolf Children, our protagonists never have sex, and I kind of wish they had, though, because if they'd been more blatantly intimate it would've avoided a lot of the weird euphemistic things that happen in this movie, like this:

Now after their tryst, our heroes head out to find mom to get her permission for interspecies marriage and also to find out what SCIENCE!!! has to say about how Hitokage's Avatar came to be. On the way though, Heero Yuy is tripping some mad balls so he stops at the super market to get some munchies and meets a dwarf who is really a demon.

Speaking of looking like Sousuke, those turret cameras from the bathhouse episode of Fumoffu are in this movie, and they try to cut our heroes to mince meat, because instead of going through the front door, we gotta break in! Probably cuz these teens are tokin' like nobody's bidness.

After a return to our cowboy story in which our hardened hero leaves a corpse in the desert, I realized that this film pays a LOT of attention to Hitokage's Avatar's Hometown:

These crazy kids bust into the lab and what do they find? I'll tell you what they find. THE COOLEST SHIT SINCE G GUNDAM MADE A MAMMOTH INTO A GUNDAM. THEY FIND THE LEGENDARY CYBORG GOAT. FEAST YOUR EYES MOTHER FUCKERS:

D6DIFTR.png

HOLY SHIT SO COOL

But that isn't all! They find the most incredible thing after that, too:

1b5iiL8.png

Helicorvo is so happy with his new edited body, how can you say it was wrong?

Now, if I had to guess, the moral of this movie is that animal testing is wrong and science should not meddle in the affairs of God. But look at that Helicrow! Innit he so happy? How can you say that isn't an improvement on the Creator's design? So the other moral is that it is totally okay to fuck your cat.

As they make their way through the place, hijinks ensue! First, after seeing Cyber-Goat, Hito's Avatar worries she's a robot so he punches her in the gut to prove she's made of flesh. Dude wants to tap dat pussycat, and he cannot wait. Also he holds a LENGTHY argument with his SHOES. At some point, the kids stumble across mom's botany fetish (unless you can think of a better explanation?) and are not amused. Eventually they bust into the CEO's office and find that the entire facility is run by . . . A FURBY!!!!

ibz2k6UFrV8cuD.gif

Let me just tell you I loved this guy. His every moment on screen was pure and utter genius, and nobody has ever made a character in anime who was even half his equal. I took a bunch of pictures of him. He was the best moment in the WHOLE FILM!!!

sGWMTKK.png

It's like if J. Jonah Jameson married a troll doll!

He has this amazing moment where he explains genetics with the help of Mr. Saturn

So there's some bickering and we find out that mom is now in Guyana Monica, South America at the LA CUCARACHA institute to study Mew SCIENCE!!! Also she ordered the simultaneously cartoony and horrifying, Bambi-esque executioner-style termination of all her previous animals, including Hitokage's Avatar's Mom. Pissed off, and in need of an outlet, she decides that, in order to force the CEO to get them there, Hitokage's Avatar uses her psychic powers and suddenly I realize we're not watching Wolf Children anymore.

We're watching Pokemon the First Movie. Or Frankenstein. Whatever.

So they get on the plane and everything is great until Sousuke Sagara decides to check up on Hitokage's avatar, in part because her newfound psychic powers are TERRIFYING. He gets down there, and do you know what he finds? TENTACLE RAPE.

vkr4MyS.png

We're an equal opportunity tentacle rape movie!

Crazy stuff happens and we land in the jungle. Turned on from our close encounter with death, there's only one thing to do! Feline blowjob jokes AHOOOOOOY!

That's not all, though. Oh, no! After some blow jobs we move on to a lengthy dance number. It starts out innocent enough, but the pussy gets wet and her clothes literally slide right off. Enjoy that image:

idgbr4MiLgB0w.gif

After this long metaphor for a night of sex ends, they hit the road, kidnap some truckers, mind rape them, and then run into a South American Generalissimo who they try to convince that this purple, sexified cat lady with boobs is totally a normal North American Lion. He doesn't buy it. He does look FABULOUS, though. So does his boss.

So they take the kid to see his mom, and he basically says this to her: "Dear mom, give up your fucking amazing ground breaking research job and get the hell back in the goddamn kitchen. Also don’t kill my purple girlfriend." Mom's response is "Bitch, I'mma kill yo purple hussy, and I'mma LIKE IT." It's a really heart warming sequence and I wish all anime families could be so emotive.

Mom really is the one bad part of the film. Like, she starts out HILARIOUSLY evil, killing and experimenting on defenseless animals, is promoted, literally, to Evil Queen when she speaks in Engrish to a mirror, then taunts Hito's Avatar by telling her she's going to FREEZE DRY HER HEART AND PUT IT IN A BOX. FOR SCIENCE. Then suddenly when her rice turns out to be poisonous she loses all her nerve, turns on the Dictator, and regrets that her creations will be used to kill people even though there is a CAT WOMAN SHE IS GOING TO KILL AT THAT VERY MOMENT. She's wildly inconsistent and not sympathetic at all.

So Heero Yuy decides to bust the joint, and with the help of JERK WITH A HEART OF GOLD CEMENT BOND, he saves his feline femme, and they begin breaking out, but not without some good ol' fashioned FF7 hijinks! Things go nuts in the whole facility, and rather than break out, it looks like Hito has killed Mom, and Sousuke is very pissed.

But Cement Bond is there to teach him how to be a badass.

So we skip ahead 5 years in his quest for revenge for his mom, and his hunt to find and kill Hitokage's Avatar, and at last he comes across another village which HA has been terrorizing. Only to notice 4 sets of tracks. What's this? It isn't Hito at all! It's just evil lions.

He kills them in amazing ways. Watch this:

iLmVSg5oaUYDi.gif

You know, for kids!

Turns out the people have been using him to find the poisoned rice, which was still in Hito's possession. She kills them, then he kills her. It's tragic, and he discovers a letter from Mom which explains that Hito was innocent all along. Mom is such a dope.

Then Jesus Christ literally raises Hitokage's Avatar from the dead and we all learn a valuable lesson.

THE END.

So yeah, I thought it wasn't that bad. But my standards were lowered by the past two entries on The List.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 01 - 04:

God. I've been in the mood for some good ole' fashioned space adventure, and 2199 is totally giving me that delicious satisfaction. I haven't had any issues with the CG thus far, and the soundtrack is sooooo good. The retro vibes are amazing.

Why don't more people talk about this show? Or am I just blind?

ALSO:

I started reading Bakemonogatari in Japanese partially out of curiosity to see how Shaft interpreted things, and partially because I loved Nisioisin's Zaregoto series to death. I've only ever seen the original Bakemonogatari series and Nise. Been holding off on the 2nd season.

I'm only 50 pages in, but I'm already surprised by how differently everything seems to feel/flow. The dialogue is still snappy, but the text doesn't at all allude to any of the weirdness that Shaft added to the anime. There's been no fanservice either, and in fact Nisi barely goes out of his way to describe the characters appearances much at all. This is the complete opposite of Zaregoto, where oftentimes a character's look was pivotal to their personality/relevance in the plot.

I'm MUCH preferring the novel to the anime right now, but who knows how that's gonna change moving forward.

Something else I think folks might find interesting is that Nisi's novels aren't normally classified as light novels. They're found with the standard novels in the majority of book stores around here, and that's consistent with books I've read about light novel creation. Light novels focus on creating the feeling of a manga/anime by overloading the book with illustrations, and favoring quick dialogue over paragraphs of descriptions.

Nisi novels often go decent chunks of time with minimal dialogue, and the pages are "intimidating" to light novel readers due to how loaded they are. This is actually fairly similar to Ryohgo Narita (Baccano!), who also doesn't play by the standard rules (no female-only fanservice covers etc) and loves describing things in great detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom