• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies that I've been bugging for recommendations here the past few weeks, but now I have a specific request. My friend and I watched Attack on Titan and loved it, even though it had a lot of annoyances. We're trying to get back into anime and are looking for something action-oriented, but with a bit more focus on story or character. My friend gave an example of Ergo Proxy (though that show hardly seems an action show to me).

tl;dr Any good action recommendations with a good story or great characters to bite into?

Gazoinks

Revolutionary Girl Utena 05
screenshot055dhshr.png

These random spinning roses keep distracting me

This episode was definitely stronger than the last few. I liked Miki a lot, and I really liked the way they worked his sister at the ending of the episode.
I liked that Miki is set up from here to be kind of a rival for Anthy's affections, but not outright evil. I hope he becomes an ally sometime. I could see him going the other way and breaking down though, given how obsessive he is.
Anthy's subservience is kind of getting a little creepy.

Miki picturing Kiryuu lounging around in sexy positions while remembering his exposition was amazing. Especially given what happened right before that.

Also I love dem shadow girls.

Preview:
Someone's trying to kill Nanami? ...let them.

Apologies that I've been bugging for recommendations here the past few weeks, but now I have a specific request. My friend and I watched Attack on Titan and loved it, even though it had a lot of annoyances. We're trying to get back into anime and are looking for something action-oriented, but with a bit more focus on story or character. My friend gave an example of Ergo Proxy (though that show hardly seems an action show to me).

tl;dr Any good action recommendations with a good story or great characters to bite into?

Hahahaha. Hahaha. Ha. Ergo Proxy. Action oriented. Hahahaha.

Check out Black Lagoon, great action and great characters (also a really good dub). Fate/Zero is really good if you don't mind fewer (really awesome) action scenes in favor of a lot of (interesting) talking and plotting. I've been watching The Big O at a very slow pace, and that's been good so far if you like the vibe it gives.

Code:Breaker

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Code Breaker
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Darker than Black

Do you want like a really thoughtful story? Because, as a rule, I generally don't watch action shows for their stories. I guess it depends on what you mean by an action show.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 both have great characters, though.

There's also Ben-To, which is a really great action comedy. I liked the characters. The story is utterly ridiculous, but that's part of the fun.

Well, you could always watch Psycho-Pass. Almost everyone in here hated it, but I liked it. It's a sci-fi/cyberpunk cop show that's pretty story-driven.

Black Lagoon and Darker than Black are two of my favorites. I absolutely love seeing the evolution of Rock in Black Lagoon as it goes along.

I just watched a trailer for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Whaaaaaa? is my first reaction. But it looks pretty darn entertaining.
Do you want like a really thoughtful story? Because, as a rule, I generally don't watch action shows for their stories. I guess it depends on what you mean by an action show.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 both have great characters, though.

There's also Ben-To, which is a really great action comedy. I liked the characters.

Well, you could always watch Psycho-Pass. Almost everyone in here hated it, but I liked it. It's a sci-fi/cyberpunk cop show that's pretty story-driven.
Based off a few gaffers earlier recommendations, I'll be firing up Hunter x Hunter soon. My friend isn't into long series like Hunter x Hunter though, so that will be a treat for myself. As for story aspects, I'm not looking for anything Oscar worthy. Just more than Attack on Titan had to offer. I can even put up with a non-existant story as long as there are great characters. Attack on Titan had neither for me, but it made up for it with some good action scenes and animation (here and there).

Gazoinks

Black Lagoon and Darker than Black are two of my favorites. I absolutely love seeing the evolution of Rock in Black Lagoon as it goes along.

I just watched a trailer for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Whaaaaaa? is my first reaction. But it looks pretty darn entertaining.

If you do decide to watch Jojo, just keep in mind that the first part is by faaaaar the weakest. I haven't seen the anime, but this doesn't seem to have changed much from the manga.

Branduil

Fate/Zero

Mature

Darker than Black.

Don't forget: Dubbed.

Oh, I know. Half the fun of these old OVAs is the dubs for them. Especially when Manga did them.

It's based on one of the greatest manga ever to grace the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump (although it's in Ultra Jump now, and has been for nearly a decade). The manga's definitely worth reading, especially if you can't wait until next year for the second season, but it's also one of the longest manga ever (the TV series was created for its 25th anniversary last year). You could always watch the old OVAs that adapt Part 3 (the first season of the TV series adapts Parts 1 and 2), but they take a ton of things out. I mean, they're worth watching anyway, because the fight scenes are awesome, but they really condensed things.

But yeah, it's not called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for nothing. Although it doesn't really get all that weird until later on. I guess Battle Tendency has its moments, though.

Thank you much, everyone. That should be enough. I'm going to pass the list onto my friend and let him choose since he is much more picky than I am. I'll pretty much have a good time as long as I'm watching anime and someone gets punched in the face every once-in-a-while.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Looks like a show about the manliest gentlemen to walk the Earth)
Psycho Pass (Looks Ghost in the Shell-ish)
Code Breaker (Only 13 episodes. Hopefully it is short and satisfying)
Ben-To
Fate/Zero

Gazoinks

Thank you much, everyone. That should be enough. I'm going to pass the list onto my friend and let him choose since he is much more picky than I am. I'll pretty much have a good time as long as I'm watching anime and someone gets punched in the face every once-in-a-while.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Looks like a show about the manliest gentlemen to walk the Earth)
Ben-To
Fate/Zero

That's a good list. Fate/Zero will rip out your soul and spit on it, then Jojo will forge you a new one with the fires of manliness.

Ben-To
Fate/Zero

It's not as good, but it is a cyberpunk setting, it's about cops, and it's by Production I.G. It's also written by Gen Urobuchi, who also wrote Fate/Zero (and Madoka).

One of my favorite things about Jojo as a whole is how it mixes macho and glam in its aesthetics. Dio is essentially an evil, extremely ripped David Bowie. It gets a lot less hypermasculine as time goes by, though. It also gets a lot weirder.

duckroll

Galilei Donna 4

The chase scene was fine and all, but at the end of it we're supposed to swallow the idea that
Hozuki falls from the top story of a building into a pile of junked cars with bounty hunters in hot pursuit and the very next scene just cuts to Hazuki and Hozuki being back in the airship
? The idea that
Hazuki could run down the entire building she was in, navigate through the junk heap to her incapacitated sister, and carry her all the way back to the ship while still outrunning her assailants
seems fairly ridiculous and was a sour denouement to a scene that had theretofore had actual thought put into the sequence of events.

You know, I didn't even think about how the scene transited from one point to another, because my eyes were already rolling so hard into the back of my head due to the "illness". Lolololol. What wretched writing.

Articalys

Man, I remember before the season started, thinking about the noitaminA shows, "why is Galilei Donna the 1-cour show and Samurai Flamenco the 2-cour show? The premise of the former sounds cooler than the latter, the episode counts should be switched."

Suffice it to say I'm no longer of that opinion.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Galilei Donna 4

Lest I forget to mention what is likely the worse problem with the episode and a more endemic problem to the series,
the very first dude they meet upon landing in Germany just happening to have the next scroll
was so, so unbelievably bad. I was left incredulous. Why bother having an adventure series at all when
the thing that the characters are searching for is simply handed to them without any effort on their part
?
Sounds like a certain episode of Now and Then, Here and There.

Ookiku Furikabutte 21

Despite not really knowing the names for most of the team, I am still rooting for them and like the focus they get. Even more since they are actually doing stuff in the game and contributing which makes it feel like they are actually important to the story.

There's a part of me that thinks being a 2-cour for Galilel Donna could've worked out better... at least not to make everything feel rushed.

duckroll

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV 8

This is the best episode of Phantom Blood. The art is the best it's been, especially the shading, which gave added weight and energy to the climatic confrontation.

In terms of actual art and animation, I'll say ep8 and ep20 are the best episodes. Maybe 25 too, since it had some pretty good cuts, but it wasn't quite as consistent. But while Phantom Blood was a couple of good episodes with a ton of draggy stuff, Battle Tendency is waaaaaaaaaay more entertaining with lots of exciting and interesting stuff happening even though there isn't much animation most of the time, with only a handful of episodes which felt a bit iffy.

Yes I will bring up S;G whenever someone mentions Dr. Pepper shut up.

Steins;Gate gave me a massive craving for Dr Pepper. I don't think I'd had any in several years.

I'm more a Coke Zero guy now. I think I'm the only person on the planet who actually likes it.

Gazoinks

Steins;Gate gave me a massive craving for Dr Pepper. I don't think I'd had any in several years.

I'm more a Coke Zero guy now. I think I'm the only person on the planet who actually likes it.

Haha, yeah, Steins;Gate made me crave chicken tenders and Dr. Pepper throughout the show. Not so much bananas...

Gazoinks

Revolutionary Girl Utena 06
screenshot05957swk.png

I hate you

Uh, this episode was weird... and kind of weak. On the other hand, my suspicions of
incest
were confirmed. So there's that. But seriously, this series kind of went off the deep end for this episode, it hadn't been this outright wacky before.
How did Nanami suddenly appear with a gigantic recording machine? Why did this episode end with a boxing match with Touga vs a Kangaroo? Why is this suddenly a gag show?
Although aside from the wackiness the actual plot was pretty predictable. Maybe I would've liked this episode more if I liked Nanami at least a little. >.>

Glad Miki turned out to be a bro though.

screenshot06047s2c.png

I looove the shadowing and silhouetting in this show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nanami is a joke character. Just assume anything can happen in an episode focused on nanami.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Revolutionary Girl Utena 06

But seriously, this series kind of went off the deep end for this episode, it hadn't been this outright wacky before.
How did Nanami suddenly appear with a gigantic recording machine? Why did this episode end with a boxing match with Touga vs a Kangaroo? Why is this suddenly a gag show?
Ahahahaha.

Oh, and Nanami is the best character in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom