• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Usagi Drop Specials

Yup that was Usagi Drop. Even in condensed form, this show is still the sweetest thing ever. Aside from the length these didn't really feel any different from a regular episode.

If I had never watched the show it would've gone right past me, so yes, yes it was.

I have no idea what you people are talking about. I expect to learn.

Just got Outlast with one of my best buds. Without exaggerating it went a bit like this:

-grab controller, walk around.
-scary jump scare happens
- scream, state to each other that it was stupid to buy this game since we're both scaredy cats.
- continue playing until chasing section. Scream uncontrollably as we forget which buttons do what. Get killed.
- Pass controller to next person swearing to never play again.
-Rinse and repeat.

I don't think I've ever screamed that much in my life from any piece of media. I need me some animu to calm my soul. Panda-kun save me from nightmares.

Gazoinks

Just got Outlast with one of my best buds. Without exaggerating it went a bit like this:

- scream, state to each other that it was stupid to buy this game since we're both scaredy cats.
- continue playing until chasing section. Scream uncontrollably as we forget which buttons do what. Get killed.
-Rinse and repeat.

I don't think I've ever screamed that much in my life from any piece of media. I need me some animu to calm my soul. Panda-kun save me from nightmares.

Sometimes I hate my own wimpiness because I'll buy a horror game that looks interesting from a story or atmosphere perspective and then go "nope nope nope" five minutes in and never touch it again.

And yet I somehow made it halfway into Amnesia. No idea how I did that to this day.

Hattori

Banned

-Rinse and repeat.

Can't wait to get this on PS+

Finally caught up on a few things:

Kill la Kill: This has a very interesting style, though I'm going to have to agree with some posts I've seen on the web about it being overwhelmingly sexualized. The difference though is that rather than throwing it into a show randomly or being part of a harem, the plot seems inherently based on it. While Mako and the high-energy gags are amusing, it's going to wear out really fast. I'll have to see where it goes.

Log Horizon: Since this bears similarities to SAO, I'll make some minor comparisons to it. For one, even with SAO's writing problems, I felt that it explained what it needed to well in the beginning and at least had somewhat believable motivations for characters. Log Horizon on the other hand just kinda throws everything in as the series goes.
Oh, this thing? Here's what this does. Oh, we're in a game? Cool. Oh, we suddenly have to do this or suddenly know about this?
. It's more "Hey, you don't need to know what happened - just enjoy the ride". I feel like there's very little backstory worth knowing about and they're feigning a sense of mystery to excuse poor writing. However, since it's a 25 episode series I imagine they'll expand upon it. Hopefully it doesn't drag on like this.

Unfortunately, that isn't the only thing that left me skeptcial. The OP is really annoying, and LH is also falling victim to the random "insert innuendo gag here" twice per episode. They're also heavily banking on Akatsuki's "cuteness", and she instead ends up overshadowing the rest of the as-of-now dull cast. In spite of this, it's still exciting to see how the battles are strategized, and if nothing else, I'm interested in seeing where those go.

Galilei Donna: This show surprised me the most. I heard that it was mediocre, but I'm actually enjoying it more than the two above. There have been some cringe-worthy moments and I don't think it's done anything ground breaking, but I care more about the characters and the universe that they're in. At this point, they can either finish off spectacularly or drop the ball halfway through.

I usually marathon shows instead of watching them as they air, but I think these need a bit more time to gestate in my mind anyway.

Dr. Pepper is pretty great.

I'll take two.

Jarmel

Banned
So just saw Jin-Roh. Trying to figure out if this is the best work Oshii has done. Visually it's not as good as Patlabor 2 but everything else is so good.

Sometimes I hate my own wimpiness because I'll buy a horror game that looks interesting from a story or atmosphere perspective and then go "nope nope nope" five minutes in and never touch it again.

And yet I somehow made it halfway into Amnesia. No idea how I did that to this day.

Yeah. We said it should be called "Nope: the Video game"

Can't wait to get this on PS+

My friend was gonna wait. But I convinced him that it was 13 bucks on Steam during Halloween sale and that it was well worth it to play it near october for 2spooky4me moments.

I love that guy. Not as manly as him but I swear he has a trick. Constantly talking and making everything into a joke helps out.

Yamato 2199 episode 25

Great episode. But what the fuck
the preview just spoiled fucking everything about what's gonna happen next episode. A baby is born and either Yuki or the Captain dies. Probably Yuki considering the preview with Kodai crying as he runs to her goku saiyan water pod thing. THANKS ANIME PREVIEW.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Infinite Stratos S2 5

O...oh my. This whole episode. The fanservice level is:
spinaltap-11.jpg

Yamada-sensei: Of course she's the cow.

Japan: 8/10. notbad.gif Goddamnit, writers. Japan should not win. :/

England: 6/10. Hey, isn't that get up America's thing? Well, I guess England really doesn't have that much to work with :p

France: 9/10. HNNNNG. Poor Charles.

Germany: 7/10 for basically being a better england

Russia: 10/10. She's getting closer and closer to Best Girl every week.

China: 1/10. Try harder.

Sister: No. Fuck this shit.

Goddamn this show gets even dumber ever second. I didn't think that was possible.

Welp...
didn't see that coming.

Jarmel

Banned
Oshii didn't direct. He only wrote for it.

That's what I meant. The screenplay for it is really fantastic. The directing is certainly similar to Oshii but it's less pompous and ordinate for the most part, which is probably why I like it more than Oshii's actual films.

Don't worry, I'm sure Jarmel will come up with a contrived defence of why Oshii should be credited for the entire work.

Aren't we full of snark?

Oshii didn't direct. He only wrote for it.

I was really surprised when I learned he was only the writer for Jin-Roh, since he did create the Kerberos saga. But then there are those live-action Kerberos films he directed.

Are his live-action films actually any good?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Time 5

I have feeling this is gonna lead to some major feels. I still think
Linda caused his accident
. In fact, I'm almost certain of now that we know that a)
He was knocked off the bridge by someone on a moped
and b)
we've seen Linda in the flashback with a moped.
Now then, she obviously
felt remorse and regret then
but I think she's just trying to respect Tada's wishes about
cutting all the ties that restrict him

Golden Time 5

I have feeling this is gonna lead to some major feels. I still think
Linda caused his accident
. In fact, I'm almost certain of now that we know that a)
He was knocked off the bridge by someone on a moped
and b)
we've seen Linda in the flashback with a moped.
Now then, she obviously
felt remorse and regret then
but I think she's just trying to respect Tada's wishes about
cutting all the ties that restrict him

I don't think she knows about those wishes though. The first time she saw him again was during that flashback scene of the hospital, and then he came to the uni. He apparently has only told Koko, but maybe his parents had a suspicion and told Barb.. err Linda

Yamato 2199 episode 26

vVMmx.gif

I cannot express in words the greatness. It brought me to tears so many times. God I hope the theatrical release they talked about for 2014 in websites is actually a second season/continuation and not a prequel.

If this counts as a contender for AOTY, I'd cast my vote for it.

Dynedom

Urusei Yatsura TV is still Oshii's best work.

After watching the first 2 Patalbor movies, this seems like a huge statement. Time to invest some time into this series I guess.

edit: Admittedly, outside of UY, he may have better works than the Pat movies but cot damn if they weren't awesome.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I don't think she knows about those wishes though. The first time she saw him again was during that flashback scene of the hospital, and then he came to the uni. He apparently has only told Koko, but maybe his parents had a suspicion and told Barb.. err Linda

But he did talk about wanting to cut those ties straight to her face, I think with the implication that he wants to start completely over in Tokyo. And I think it also meant, at least to Linda, that they should probably split their ties too. Tada was probably holding her down with guilt as much as she (inadvertently?) held him there. When she's sees him again in Tokyo at their college, I think she understands that this is his escape. Now why is she trying to get him and Koko involved with her club, maybe because she still holds a flame for him and is somehow rationalizing that she can start over with him? Idk.

Infinite Stratos S2 - 05

Ichika may be dense, but he sure has good taste.

bOgZj.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
After watching the first 2 Patalbor movies, this seems like a huge statement. Time to invest some time into this series I guess.

edit: Admittedly, outside of UY, he may have better works than the Pat movies but cot damn if they weren't awesome.
UY TV is Oshii out of his comfort zone and still doing well.

• Log Horizon - 01

That Rage Against The Machine-esque OP was cool. Japanese Zack de la Rocha impressions is both bizarre and awesome hahaha. Probably one of my favorites this season.

You know, I think I could enjoy this show. Despite the similar setting to SAO it has an entirely different feel. Everyone is super stereotypical, though lol but that doesn't really bother me too much in this case.

The art isn't nearly as strong as Sword Art Online's was, though.

cajunator

Banned
I still have never seen Mad Bull 34, despite loving schlocky '80s/early-'90s OVAs (because I'm a masochist, and also because I love watching horrible movies).

Is it worth it?

Hell yes it is!

Thank you much, everyone. That should be enough. I'm going to pass the list onto my friend and let him choose since he is much more picky than I am. I'll pretty much have a good time as long as I'm watching anime and someone gets punched in the face every once-in-a-while.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Looks like a show about the manliest gentlemen to walk the Earth)
Psycho Pass (Looks Ghost in the Shell-ish)
Code Breaker (Only 13 episodes. Hopefully it is short and satisfying)
Ben-To
Fate/Zero

All of the above are good choices. Particularly jojo, Ben to, Fate Zero

Man, I remember before the season started, thinking about the noitaminA shows, "why is Galilei Donna the 1-cour show and Samurai Flamenco the 2-cour show? The premise of the former sounds cooler than the latter, the episode counts should be switched."

Suffice it to say I'm no longer of that opinion.

I feel the same way. Samurai Flamenco should stick around a while.

Yes I will bring up S;G whenever someone mentions Dr. Pepper shut up.

Thats perfectly fine!

• Log Horizon - 02
I haven't heard this much exposition since Yu-Gi-Oh hahaha. They're explaining every single little gameplay detail!

Akatsuki reminds me of Taiga. I mean, mostly cause she's so moe and short and stuff, but also the ED is just giving me vibes of banira saruto lol

This is totally wish fulfillment anime. But I like it!

fertygo

Fate/Zero - 15 (rewatch)

Dat Excalibur strike, still awesome as ever. BTW now I can accept they removing
part where Archer got reminded to Enkidu when that attack unleashed, its make sense there's already similar scene when Caster reminded to Jeanne when he about to die, putting Gil's random flashback too in there would be awkward. The dialogue that he had with Raider already explain most of interest that he have to Saber.

Fate/Zero - 16 (rewatch)

Poor Lancer.. I still wish they fleshing out the lancer team more, especially for Kayneth-Sola ui dynamic.. but damn that betrayalton and
Lancer's rage
moment was powerful, Also the dialogue in the end was great. Talking about the false value of chivalry and such, what a goddamn batman.

Fate/Zero - 17 (rewatch)
Stupid Sexy Kirei, such a fascinating character he is, I can listen his chatting with Gil all day long.

EDIT: Screw top of the page.

Log Horizon 03
Of course she picked meido as her subclass.

Of course the loli is actually an adult.

Of course the bad guys have never played Animal Crossing and cared about an NPC's feelings.

I want to find out who braid hair girl is. Is that just Marie with a different outfit? Cause it seemed like Shiroe was crushinnnnn

Theonik

If you ignore all of his mecha works, maybe!
His mecha works are just a distraction from his true master work!

This show is about Utena coming into her own as a tailor, right? That's what I got from this episode.
Deeper go deeper.

Also I love dem shadow girls.
かしらかしらご存知かしら

Chicken tenders?

Sorry, too busy eating STEAK.
Steeeeeeeeeki?
i6VGvBdzHdKWP.png

So just saw Jin-Roh. Trying to figure out if this is the best work Oshii has done. Visually it's not as good as Patlabor 2 but everything else is so good.
Jin-Roh is Okiura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom