• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Huh? How does
killing Sakura and foolishly trying to fight in a war with no servant against a bunch of people who can kill you easily say anything about the Fate arc? Mind of Steel is Shirou trying to imitate Kiritsugu, but he'll fail because he's no Kerry.

It shows that being a superhero is impossible for him and that he has to choose who to save. He can't save everybody and that he has very hard limits. It being a bad end emphasizes the futility of trying to be like Kiritsugu. Fate was about Shirou pretty much doing whatever he wants, with limited consequence, and ultimately succeeding.
Superman killed a lot of people in Man of Steel

Krypton is my body and the sun is my blood
Known to death
and known to life
I have created over a thousand robots
yet these hands can hold anything
So as I pray
Unlimited Superpower Works!

I'm sure somebody did the fanart already.

It shows that being a superhero is impossible for him and that he has to choose who to save. He can't save everybody and that he has very hard limits. It being a bad end emphasizes the futility of trying to be like Kiritsugu. Fate was about Shirou pretty much doing whatever he wants, with limited consequence, and ultimately succeeding.
I'd say the rest of the route shows this much better than this particular bad end, but I see your point.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Log horizon episode 5
some impressions didnt seem to like this episode, but I did, a nice chill episode after the last one with alot of character interaction and development, which is something I prefer over even the story itself in most cases

Gazoinks

They should just doing supplement season for F/Z, for all character that not fleshed out like Kirei and Kiritsugu
5 Master + 7 servant = 12 episode.
I want to see it.

Better idea: Alternate universe buddy road trip movie featuring Rider and Waver. Would pay handsomely.

cajunator

Banned
Infinite Stratos 5

Good goddamn. Char is best girl but fuck Cecilia had the best segment and costume. Fuckin' harem protags.

Char is best but I cannot agree about Cecilia. she simply sucks too much to be anything but last.

Y'all can continue to protest its existence however much you want, but this is still on the way:

I would not protest this. HD Suou is a wonderful thing.

Oh right, I forgot Funi put out the BD set a while ago (and still hasn't released BD for S1, though apparently AoA might have it), which makes this decision all the more interesting.

Also, the Funi release had locked subs.

yep. I have it. Sorry to tell yall that lol.

OH GOD! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

fertygo

Either way, none of this matters. We're almost definitely going to get the Fate route again.
Its gonna be HF.

Better idea: Alternate universe buddy road trip movie featuring Rider and Waver. Would pay handsomely.

TBH as awesome Rider is, he and Waver already portrayed pretty solid in F/Z.. so I rather another thing, Berserker team is the one that got the shortest stick in the anime,

Jarmel

Banned
Zone of Enders- 2167 Idolo
i4GwaNeDBqouf.jpg
Well this was okay. I wanted to see how batshit insane this would get due to it being spawned from a Kojima franchise. It's pretty straightforward and limited in scope though. I did expect it to be more about Viola but whatever. The action was ok, there were some good moments but nothing too fantastic. There was a few good shots in the OVA as well, such as the above and below one. A couple of pieces in the OST were really good but overall the OST isn't too memorable. All in all, it was a decent little watch and it did flesh out some of the lore and backstory a bit.

Its gonna be HF.

Seiba brings in the dolla dolla bill y'all.

Tenumi

Banned
The iDOLM@STER: 08

Well, that was a fun, if silly episode. Wedding wear, elephants, and oil barons ahoy!

Also, character development!

jman2050

Monogatari S2 18 (Oni 2)

If it hadn't been for the ED popping up partway through I would never have realized 20+ minutes had just passed by the time the episode ended.

The way you get entranced by what's going on despite literally 98% of the episode being wordswordswords is quite impressive. I could listen to another hour of just Shinobu talking easily.

These jump scare games arent too bad to me. But then I see far worse things in my dreams/night terrors anyway. .

It's not the jump scares that are bad. It's being chased by a big scary motherfucker when you can't attack and the entire game is dark. The batteries run out really fast and you at most have 4 at a time, and using night vision kills it instantly. It's a game entirely driven by survival where your options are walking and hiding.

NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.

Log Horizon 05
Not the best episode. There was a cute AkatsugiXShiro moment that didn't last long, but the main part of the episode was world-building, explaining mechanics and introducing what is probably Shiroe's next mission
rescuing his twin pupils from the evil guild

Jarmel

Banned
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar- fin
Oh boy. Let me preface this as this review is going to piss some people off; if you like this show, skip this post.
Well let me start out with the things I did like. I liked Mamoru and Hana actually. I normally don’t like kids and I thought both would be annoying. I wish Mamoru had a more proactive stance in the series but it’s fine for his age. “Kowai ku nai!” actually grew up on me as Hana is so cute saying it. Also her saying it when on the weight scale made me laugh. I also liked the fact that Mamoru had something resembling a normal childhood and that his parents were good people. You got the sense that his mom and dad (especially the mom) really loved him and that they were a cohesive family unit. It’s somewhat rare to see a mecha show where nobody had daddy issues. Even Leo and Guy got along really well. I also thought they did the escalation theme really well in the show as well. They did a semi-good job of transitioning from saving the city to saving the world.
Now for the bad. The rest of the show is a shitty mix of TTGL/ G Gundam that is not only less interesting but also worse in execution on multiple levels. There might, and I use the word might very loosely, be a good show in here if you trim roughly 30 episodes, if not more, off the episode count. Then you would have to condense the rest of the events so there isn’t such obnoxious repetition of stock footage. It’s a ‘Monster of the Week’ type show up until episode 26 roughly, which then goes on a multiple episode finale up to episode 30 to conclude the first arc. Monster of the Week shows almost always suck balls and this is no exception. In fact, this is one of the worse cases I’ve seen as it’s generic as fuck and boring throughout most of the run. You can make MOTW shows good or at least tolerable, as I very much like the MOTW episodes in Supernatural, if you utilize them to expand the lore delve into the characters or if it’s just a good watch. There is none of that here. No, a bunch of Autobots (which they are) screwing around on screen does not help make the medicine go down. What we get is a solid 25 episodes that make you tune out due to the spamming of stock footage and lack of really anything interesting happening. That along with the boring fights for the most part and the lack of any threat, makes it a grind to watch. There really isn’t any intelligence on either side, which is driven home with how intelligent the Primevals later act, and the villains are stereotypical as fuck. It’s very much a kid’s show so what we get is a lot of yelling about courage and whatnot on top of that, to drive the point home for the kiddies in the audience.
Then episode 31 happens and I think the show might actually have some balls and take a darker turn but that is quickly undone in the latter half of episode 32 which pulls one of the biggest asspulls I’ve ever seen. Nobody knows about a huge fucking space station right above the Earth? Really? Speaking of asspulls, this series absolutely loves them. So we now get more MOTW of the week episodes just now with Primevals instead of Zonders. Well at least they take up two episodes to beat instead of the usual one. Finally we get to episode 39 where some of the Primevals act like they have IQs and launch a coordinated and well thought out attack. Here is where the show finally gets interesting. Too bad we then we get another couple MOTW episodes until it finally gets around to the climax, or the proper one anyway. This was for the most part great. It reminded me a lot of the best of G Gundam and the climax there, especially when they went into the Z Master. They even killed someone off, to my utter shock, after all the asspulls they did prior. So now the heroes return to Earth and we got two episodes left. This must have been a surprise to the director and producers too as we get
Mikoto as the final boss. Yes they did foreshadow it but the execution is so tagged on compared to the prior climax we got earlier with the Z Master and the lame ass excuse as to why these events are happening, doesn’t help either. This felt like a shitty ripoff of Rain being stuck in the Devil Gundam. The difference is that G Gundam and TTGL had the sense to tie the love interest being in distress with the actual climax of the show. Here it’s like some afterthought which is too bad as storyboarding wise, the finale was one of the better episodes.
It’s a really really bad case of diabolus ex machina for no good reason, other than to run up the runtime, and it left me groaning throughout the final episode. Don’t get me wrong, visually and emotionally they did a pretty good job, or at least I thought they did till the last five minutes kicked in. Diabetes for everyone. This is what cemented GGG as a crappy kid’s cartoon for me.
They just couldn’t give anyone anything resembling a bittersweet ending, nope. They even gave Guy his proper body back. Jesus Christ. Then we get the Carpenter bots fixing up Tokyo as if nothing had happened. I wanted to punch my computer. So afterwards we have Mamoru setting off some grand old intergalactic adventure. Like WTF? Superman didn’t go back to Krypton till he was like in his thirties and they’re letting a 12 year old kid go out on this intergalactic adventure without any backup? I thought at least Gai would be going along but nope. We also finally get Hana in her wedding dress which just made me wish we had seen a time skip somewhere so some of this might feel justified age-wise.
So on that note, let me do a revised GGG chart, since the other one is full of bullshit.
I might have liked this show more if I was twelve or if I had not seen TTGL and G Gundam. I’ll watch GGG Final probably later today but I felt I should write up a summary for the base show itself first though.

Narag

Those are fair criticisms, I'd say. Looking forward to the impressions of the first two GaoGaiGar Final eps too given that review!

The block that had Moyashimon in it is going? I was hoping for a 3rd season of that. What has noitaminA got on nowadays?

Season 3 of that needs to happen. There's an entire arc dedicated to Japanese craft beer in the manga, and I'm pretty sure it would be in the third season. They've skipped a couple of arcs in the anime, though.

And right now, it's got Galilei Donna (which I've heard is awful) and Samurai Flamenco (which, despite budget issues, is really good).

fertygo

Bittersweet ending?
, so you asking for GGG final then.

Fate/Zero - 22 (rewatch)
Only 3 eps left :(

And man.. Kirei and Kiritsugu conflict are damn great, just listening Ilya describing how different those two is pretty fascinating, especially after we all knowing both character motivation.

Jarmel

Banned
Bittersweet ending?
, so you asking for GGG final then.

I don't so much mind that it's not a bittersweet ending but rather the fact that it doesn't feel earned. So much horseshit in the last couple of minutes that it feels oriented to make the kids happy.

fertygo

I don't so much mind that it's not a bittersweet ending but rather the fact that it doesn't feel earned. So much horseshit in the last couple of minutes that it feels oriented to make the kids happy.

He deserve getting his penis back after all that, you silly.

Gazoinks

Log Horizon 05

Pleasant episode. Kind of a mellow cool-down from the last arc, but I liked that. It's nice just seeing some character interaction, along with a set-up for the next arc.
I hope there's more to this series than rescuing noobs from evil guilds.
Hope we get an idea of the overarching plot soon.

I'm not sure whether I like Nudist Beach or Debauchery Tea Party more for amazing organization names.

CorvoSol

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar- fin

Oh boy. Let me preface this as this review is going to piss some people off; if you like this show, skip this post.

Well let me start out with the things I did like. I liked Mamoru and Hana actually. I normally don’t like kids and I thought both would be annoying. I wish Mamoru had a more proactive stance in the series but it’s fine for his age. “Kowai ku nai!” actually grew up on me as Hana is so cute saying it. Also her saying it when on the weight scale made me laugh. I also liked the fact that Mamoru had something resembling a normal childhood and that his parents were good people. You got the sense that his mom and dad (especially the mom) really loved him and that they were a cohesive family unit. It’s somewhat rare to see a mecha show where nobody had daddy issues. Even Leo and Guy got along really well. I also thought they did the escalation theme really well in the show as well. They did a semi-good job of transitioning from saving the city to saving the world.

Now for the bad. The rest of the show is a shitty mix of TTGL/ G Gundam that is not only less interesting but also worse in execution on multiple levels. There might, and I use the word might very loosely, be a good show in here if you trim roughly 30 episodes, if not more, off the episode count. Then you would have to condense the rest of the events so there isn’t such obnoxious repetition of stock footage. It’s a ‘Monster of the Week’ type show up until episode 26 roughly, which then goes on a multiple episode finale up to episode 30 to conclude the first arc. Monster of the Week shows almost always suck balls and this is no exception. In fact, this is one of the worse cases I’ve seen as it’s generic as fuck and boring throughout most of the run. You can make MOTW shows good or at least tolerable, as I very much like the MOTW episodes in Supernatural, if you utilize them to expand the lore delve into the characters or if it’s just a good watch. There is none of that here. No, a bunch of Autobots (which they are) screwing around on screen does not help make the medicine go down. What we get is a solid 25 episodes that make you tune out due to the spamming of stock footage and lack of really anything interesting happening. That along with the boring fights for the most part and the lack of any threat, makes it a grind to watch. There really isn’t any intelligence on either side, which is driven home with how intelligent the Primevals later act, and the villains are stereotypical as fuck. It’s very much a kid’s show so what we get is a lot of yelling about courage and whatnot on top of that, to drive the point home for the kiddies in the audience.

Then episode 31 happens and I think the show might actually have some balls and take a darker turn but that is quickly undone in the latter half of episode 32 which pulls one of the biggest asspulls I’ve ever seen. Nobody knows about a huge fucking space station right above the Earth? Really? Speaking of asspulls, this series absolutely loves them. So we now get more MOTW of the week episodes just now with Primevals instead of Zonders. Well at least they take up two episodes to beat instead of the usual one. Finally we get to episode 39 where some of the Primevals act like they have IQs and launch a coordinated and well thought out attack. Here is where the show finally gets interesting. Too bad we then we get another couple MOTW episodes until it finally gets around to the climax, or the proper one anyway. This was for the most part great. It reminded me a lot of the best of G Gundam and the climax there, especially when they went into the Z Master. They even killed someone off, to my utter shock, after all the asspulls they did prior. So now the heroes return to Earth and we got two episodes left. This must have been a surprise to the director and producers too as we get
Mikoto as the final boss. Yes they did foreshadow it but the execution is so tagged on compared to the prior climax we got earlier with the Z Master and the lame ass excuse as to why these events are happening, doesn’t help either. This felt like a shitty ripoff of Rain being stuck in the Devil Gundam. The difference is that G Gundam and TTGL had the sense to tie the love interest being in distress with the actual climax of the show. Here it’s like some afterthought which is too bad as storyboarding wise, the finale was one of the better episodes.
It’s a really really bad case of diabolus ex machina for no good reason, other than to run up the runtime, and it left me groaning throughout the final episode. Don’t get me wrong, visually and emotionally they did a pretty good job, or at least I thought they did till the last five minutes kicked in. Diabetes for everyone. This is what cemented GGG as a crappy kid’s cartoon for me.
They just couldn’t give anyone anything resembling a bittersweet ending, nope. They even gave Guy his proper body back. Jesus Christ. Then we get the Carpenter bots fixing up Tokyo as if nothing had happened. I wanted to punch my computer. So afterwards we have Mamoru setting off some grand old intergalactic adventure. Like WTF? Superman didn’t go back to Krypton till he was like in his thirties and they’re letting a 12 year old kid go out on this intergalactic adventure without any backup? I thought at least Gai would be going along but nope. We also finally get Hana in her wedding dress which just made me wish we had seen a time skip somewhere so some of this might feel justified age-wise.
So on that note, let me do a revised GGG chart, since the other one is full of bullshit.

I might have liked this show more if I was twelve or if I had not seen TTGL and G Gundam. I’ll watch GGG Final probably later today but I felt I should write up a summary for the base show itself first though.

I would say your criticisms are all pretty fair, with the caveat that as a kids show, it is meant to be that way with the MotW and all. Where I think that GGG and GGGF really excel, though, is those moments where they DO break that mold. Having the primevals trash Guy was a good moment, or having to revive the whole gang, and that final battle. I thought that stuff worked pretty well. GGGF has some emotional-gut-punch moments thrown in that really help it overcome its fetish indulgence, too.

I dunno, I loved GGG, but I definitely see what you're saying. I think the show is a good like, gateway drug to TTGL and G Gundam, and that's how I would probably suggest someone watch them: GGG, then G Gundam, then TTGL.

Monogatari S2 18 (Oni 2)

If it hadn't been for the ED popping up partway through I would never have realized 20+ minutes had just passed by the time the episode ended.

The way you get entranced by what's going on despite literally 98% of the episode being wordswordswords is quite impressive. I could listen to another hour of just Shinobu talking easily.

It is a shame NisiOisiN's original novels for the series will probably never be licensed and translated. I would have enjoyed reading the stories and the parts that were left out of the anime.

fertygo

I would say your criticisms are all pretty fair, with the caveat that as a kids show, it is meant to be that way with the MotW and all. Where I think that GGG and GGGF really excel, though, is those moments where they DO break that mold. Having the primevals trash Guy was a good moment, or having to revive the whole gang, and that final battle. I thought that stuff worked pretty well. GGGF has some emotional-gut-punch moments thrown in that really help it overcome its fetish indulgence, too.

I dunno, I loved GGG, but I definitely see what you're saying. I think the show is a good like, gateway drug to TTGL and G Gundam, and that's how I would probably suggest someone watch them: GGG, then G Gundam, then TTGL.

Well, GGG have cool robot, likable cast, decent OST.. its very easy to like IMO.. but like I always said its kid cartoon, pretty good one at that.
I enjoyed trying to figure out how Guy would sex up Mikoto in his cyborg body.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4510

You sick bastard.

Caesnd

This might be a long shot but, has anyone here read the Legend of Galactic Heroes novel series in Japanese? If so, how were they, and are there any other books you would recommend as well/instead?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I wonder if the figure will get a fever if I drop it down 5 storeys.

If I fly to Japan to look for this figure, maybe the very first person I encounter after stepping off the plane will just happen to have one to give me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Monogatari S2 18 (Oni 2)

I know what im watching next when I get back home

CorvoSol

Well, GGG have cool robot, likable cast, decent OST.. its very easy to like IMO.. but like I always said its kid cartoon, pretty good one at that.

You sick bastard.

I'm with you on that, I really loved GGG, but I can certainly acknowledge that it gets repetitive and boring at times, and that can really grate. One of the things the show does well, though, I think, is Mamoru's family. They remain an unbreakable pillar of pure love and joy the entire course of the show, and every time I saw them I felt happy and young inside.

cajunator

Banned
It's not the jump scares that are bad. It's being chased by a big scary motherfucker when you can't attack and the entire game is dark. The batteries run out really fast and you at most have 4 at a time, and using night vision kills it instantly. It's a game entirely driven by survival where your options are walking and hiding.

NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.

Log Horizon 05
Not the best episode. There was a cute AkatsugiXShiro moment that didn't last long, but the main part of the episode was world-building, explaining mechanics and introducing what is probably Shiroe's next mission
rescuing his twin pupils from the evil guild

Heh. Ive heard things about that game. I dont think it would really affect me other than getting frustrated though.

Regarding Log Horizon I like it quite a bit. Akatsuki really is a moenuke and Serara or whatever her name is is just the most precious character I have seen in a long time.
Id like to know who is voicing her.

Those are fair criticisms, I'd say. Looking forward to the impressions of the first two GaoGaiGar Final eps too given that review!

If it really ends that way (havent seen to the end) then it seems kinda like My Hime's ending. Which is to say I wouldnt like it.

Jarmel

Banned
Hey Jarmel, check Shin Getter Armageddon if you haven't yet. Look like you gonna enjoying that a lot.

Do I need to see anything related to Shin Getter before that?

I'm with you on that, I really loved GGG, but I can certainly acknowledge that it gets repetitive and boring at times, and that can really grate. One of the things the show does well, though, I think, is Mamoru's family. They remain an unbreakable pillar of pure love and joy the entire course of the show, and every time I saw them I felt happy and young inside.

Jarmel

Banned
GaoGaiGar Final 1-
ioGuoftsglA7B.jpg

Well isn't this a little more risqué
Was interesting to see the differences in the crew. I mean like at her outfit:
All that extra skin. Mikoto's makeover was an improvement though. Also same shit, different day.
I will say the new female cyborg has got some bite to her though which I like.
It does seem to be taking a slightly more adult tone. We'll see if it carries through though.

P.S. Oreimo has ruined me.

cajunator

Banned
GaogaiGar Final 1-

Was interesting to see the differences in the crew. I mean like at her outfit:

All that extra skin. Mikoto's makeover was an improvement though. Also same shit, different day.

I will say the new female cyborg has got some bite to her though which I like.

It does seem to be taking a slightly more adult tone. We'll see if it carries through though.

P.S. Oreimo has ruined me.

Mikoto is a total cutie with her hair tails.
Its an underused/underappreciated style.

Log Horizon 05

I rather like that they are developing this world even more, especially with the NPCs and actually figuring out how to cook.

Regarding Log Horizon I like it quite a bit. Akatsuki really is a moenuke and Serara or whatever her name is is just the most precious character I have seen in a long time.
Id like to know who is voicing her.

Serara is voiced by Misaki Kuno, who played Bridget Evans in Oreimo, you know, the Fate Testarossa clone. I knew I recognized her.

Gob Horizon 05
I'm actually liking this show way more than Sword Art Online.

Every single girl so far has just been the cutest. Aghh

I noticed some characters from the OP in the evil guild. New party member get next episode?

No action here, but it's not too bad because we learn a good amount in this episode. I hope an NPC becomes a recurring character in the future.

Silky

Banned
Already been done and it would explain her high proficiency as a maid.

I think Serara looks her age, if you consider before the apocalypse, Akatsuki was portrayed as a man originally, and afterwards her physical appearance changed to a woman due to some weird shit I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom