• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Blood C 1

Alright! A series I can actually care about enough to CARE when it goes Listworthy insane! And it is by CLAMP! Thank you, based CLAMP, for breaking up the monotony that was the List.

Girl is stupid incompetent in her day to day life but can kick Old Stone Scyther's ass, huh? I'm okay with this.

So it begins.

Unlike most of "The List", Blood-C is a legitimately well-made show. Try to watch the censored TV version if you can, as I feel that's better than the uncensored.

I don't know about that....

Her backstory is interesting, but actually seeing events unfold instead of having a scrolling PNG would have been so much better.
No time to do that(not enough episodes ) , also not enough information to do it from another point of view and probably not enough support from the author to provide more info to adapt that otherwise.
This seemed like them being slaves to the novels (which I can't read since that section isn't translated). Instead of adapting it for a visual medium, they just did it verbatim with Shinobu talking to an image scroll.
Not a bad way of seeing it , but if the book is a dialog between shinobu and araragi , it's really hard to animate anything else.
I could see fans being angry either way, I guess. I fully realize that they usually are pretty slavish, but this was another level for me.

Considering that monogatari in anime often use that way to tell stories , i don't see a reason to get angry . ( i'm not saying you are ). by that point after so many episodes most fan picking to shaft adapting are probably used to it.

Really hope this List improves, because as of Black Lion this is all the same shit, slightly different setting. Oh no Oda Nobunaga has alien technology! Because I didn't see this in a Pokemon game.

An update to the list should totally be compiled after you finish your suicidal marathon.

Blood C 1

Alright! A series I can actually care about enough to CARE when it goes Listworthy insane! And it is by CLAMP! Thank you, based CLAMP, for breaking up the monotony that was the List.

Girl is stupid incompetent in her day to day life but can kick Old Stone Scyther's ass, huh? I'm okay with this.
Corvo is watching BloodC ? hum i get the feelign i know EXACTLy what he will wrote for each episode.

Seriously? I thought Fairy Tail at the beginning was funny and entertaining. Sure, things didn't start happening until the Galuna Island arc, but I was too busy laughing at the character's antics to notice.

For me fairy tail first arcs have a very bad pacing and a odd sense of adventure .
Most of it was told under Lucy POW and she didn't fit the role of a main character ( we all know natsu is the hero and that's why i got confused )

Once the author just let the crazy door open in term of scale , fights and tension fairy tail really shine and there was none of that untill the first BIG arc ( the tower )

LordCanti

No time to do that(not enough episodes ) , also not enough information to do it from another point of view and probably not enough support from the author to provide more info to adapt that otherwise.

Not a bad way of seeing it , but if the book is a dialog between shinobu and araragi , it's really hard to animate anything else.

Considering that monogatari in anime often use that way to tell stories , i don't see a reason to get angry . ( i'm not saying you are ). by that point after so many episodes most fan picking to shaft adapting are probably used to it.

The only anime I've ever really gotten angry at is Fractale, if you don't count the last two episodes of Evangelion. This doesn't compare.

They could have done animated vignettes of the scenes they showed in the scrolling PNG. It would have just cost a lot more money. They really pulled something fantastic out of their hats for the Hanekawa scene I mentioned, and I think they had an opportunity to do something similar here.

Oh well.

The only anime I've ever really gotten angry at is Fractale, if you don't count the last two episodes of Evangelion. This doesn't compare.

They could have done animated vignettes of the scenes they showed in the scrolling PNG. It would have just cost a lot more money. They really pulled something fantastic out of their hats for the Hanekawa scene I mentioned, and I think they had an opportunity to do something similar here.

Oh well.

Well considering how they treated this season , i'm convinced that they are doing things on purpose.. and besides even if most of the stuff was pictures , they were beautifull pictures.

that poor caps lock key

Well my keyboard is 11 years old so i can't help it sometimes

Gazoinks

Revolutionary Girl Utena 09
screenshot083mpstv.png

Oooh

Just when this series throws me for a loop with an episode of complete insanity, it then throws me for another loop with an episode that was mysterious and surprisingly dark. This episode didn't exactly clarify mysteries (except some character stuff with Saionji and Touga), but it certainly added more to them! Especially that whole business in the arena.

Soooo Touga was the prince? But he looks completely different. Maybe there's just a surplus of pink-haired girls with no parents. Either way he's quite the chessmaster. Also the shadow girls foreshadowed this series getting darker, I think, "Princes on white horses and true friends exist only in fantasy".

CorvoSol

Look, at this point I must remind you that it was YOU who insisted on going through it alphabetically despite advice to the contrary, and it was YOU who ignored suggestions on what to focus on.

Watch Arjuna, Yami, or a Happy Science film already if you're burned out on ultra-violence.

I had assumed that an alphabetical watching of the List was at once systematic and the easiest way of getting a good randomization out of it. I'm just kind of tired of seeing people crush skulls with their hands. I think Angel Cop was so hyperviolent it just kind of killed whatever hopes other superviolent shows on the List might have.

And are Happy Science films like Scientology things or something else?

Unlike most of "The List", Blood-C is a legitimately well-made show. Try to watch the censored TV version if you can, as I feel that's better than the uncensored.

I don't know because I haven't seen enough of the List to say, but since I started going through it alphabetically, I will say that Blood-C is only the 2nd thing on the List to look like its creators cared about what they were working on (the first being Bagi, which I will confess I sort of enjoyed a lot. Especially after stuff like AD Police.)

*sobs in the corner*

It'll be okay. By the end I won't even have tears left to whine.

So it begins.

Things like this tend to be flags that the show might actually be List Worthy to me.

An update to the list should totally be compiled after you finish your suicidal marathon.

I would not presume to question those who placed things on the List. I think, as something people compiled over time, and viewed as individual things rather than one after another, the entries undoubtedly qualify. Hito is right, really: these things only seem droll to me because I'm watching them one after another.

I would argue this but it's best to let Corvo finish first.

Hooo boy. This show'd better be a doozy. I been pretty bored with not-new anime lately.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
monogatari season 2: episode 18
I actually really enjoyed this episode because of the art used in it
they're obviously trying to keep kiss-shot scenes low until kizumonogatari is finally released though, would kill for this episode to be animated.

I had assumed that an alphabetical watching of the List was at once systematic and the easiest way of getting a good randomization out of it. I'm just kind of tired of seeing people crush skulls with their hands. I think Angel Cop was so hyperviolent it just kind of killed whatever hopes other superviolent shows on the List might have.

And are Happy Science films like Scientology things or something else?

The Happy Science films are about the Happy Science New Religion, a sect in Japan. I'm reluctant to say cult because I hate the word (you know, Corvo) but yeah.

I saw the first Happy Science movie. It's long as heck. But to simplify things, their belief is like a mix between Buddhism and other religions, and there are lizard people, Atlantis, and space Jesus.

The light of El Cantare.

You'll find it on YouTube.

Vecks

Log Horizon 5

So the ingredients had taste? Couldn't they just eat fruits? Sure, it's not meat, but it's better than eating something tasteless. And now we discover
npcs are somewhat alive and not mindless robots. No word yet if they can die or be attacked.
And, what's with these silly kids? Assuming Shiroe is the only person they know, why wouldn't they contact an old friend/teacher? But noooo... they just had to join a guild full of super shady characters.

Log Horizon 5

So the ingredients had taste? Couldn't they just eat fruits? Sure, it's not meat, but it's better than eating something tasteless. And now we discover
npcs are somewhat alive and not mindless robots. No word yet if they can die or be attacked.
And, what's with these silly kids? Assuming Shiroe is the only person they know, why wouldn't they contact an old friend/teacher? But noooo... they just had to join a guild full of super shady characters.

WWSD: What Would Shiroe Do?

In this case Shiroe didn't call them so they made the correct decision lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Happy Science films are about the Happy Science New Religion, a sect in Japan. I'm reluctant to say cult because I hate the word (you know, Corvo) but yeah.

I saw the first Happy Science movie. It's long as heck. But to simplify things, their belief is like a mix between Buddhism and other religions, and there are lizard people, Atlantis, and space Jesus.

The light of El Cantare.

You'll find it on YouTube.

The easiest way to boil down the Happy Science ideology and mythos is that it's one part Scientology, one part Buddhism, one part American religious conservatism, and, in spite of your wariness for the term, one part personality cult. I expect that the religion will mostly collapse when Okawa Ryuho dies because it rose due to him being so good at selling himself.

Monogatari 18
Still images and exposition. It might have been ok if the story had been more interesting, but as it is, I'd rather have read a summary on Wikipedia in 30 seconds.

Syrinx

Wait, Happy Science is a real thing? Are the Happy Science films like propaganda films for their religion or something?

Wait, Happy Science is a real thing? Are the Happy Science films like propaganda films for their religion or something?

Yeah, think of it like how Scientology ropes in celebrities to get it to look appealing.

Happy Science religion was designed as a business by a businessman turned Messiah.

Thanks for the clarification madp

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad - Series Review

Last night I decided to marathon through the rest of the series starting from episode 17. Overall this was an enjoyable romance anime and surprisingly not a typical harem anime that I expected originally. However, like I was told, it wasn't particularly sad but hopefully, since I am now exposed to the characters and their motivations, I'll be able to connect with After Story, we'll see.

Comedy was well-paced with the drama in the show; Nagisa's family just being plain hilarious in addition with Sunohara who surprisingly possessed his own character instead of being comic relief that he was originally introduced as.

Music was enjoyable with the OP being nice to listen to. Ambient soundtracks fit well in both the comedic and dramatic aspects though there was some jarring pieces:
most notably that song sung in english which played during the end of Fuko's arc.

Drama was great and with Tomoya's character it was easier to relate instead of a teen angst main protagonist or a bland main protagonist.

I also watched the OVA which was just one episode featuring a romance with
Tomoyo. I actually liked it as I really liked Tomoyo however it seemed that the romance caused both to suffer more than they would have if they stayed friends like in the canon.

So in conclusion the anime was great. In comparing it to other animes I've watched I'd have to say it is so far better than Angel Beats! for how the show was executed. With its 23-episode framework I was more invested into the characters, however I still believe Angel Beats! had the better potential of plot and superior music.

Golden Time 5

Nice episode though I found the
Banri-ghost to be pretty jarring. The same messages/theme of the episode could've been portrayed without the ghost telling us "You had relationship with Linda in the past!"
I need more Linda and Chinami episodes.

Onward to After Story!!!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

They're not even good at sounding bad at singing.

So, I watched a couple of the other skits just to see if this was representative of the VA quality, and why does everyone sound alternately too close and too far from the microphone? And Milla sure is, erm, husky.

It's very real, and that's exactly what the films are.

jman2050

Oh well.

Frankly I think just straight animating it (where the art would definitely be far worse by orders of magnitude) would have been a far worse product than what we got. Also my understanding is that they were intentionally going for this type of narrative style which given Shinobu's character, the nature of what happened, and the fact that the entire thrust of the episode is "Shinobu is telling a story" makes perfect sense.

fertygo

Fate/Zero - 23 (rewatch)

Its make me teared up again ;__; Goddamit the track that they use for that moment..
What a great conclusion for Rider, he even made the proud Gilgamesh acknowledge him[, also conquering Waver's heart lol.. the best part of it, its fitting Waver's character arc.. Waver was fully eager to prove his worth, he even admitting he willing to die for that. The order from Rider gonna change that for good.

And
#TeamCGBerserker

LordCanti

Frankly I think just straight animating it (where the art would definitely be far worse by orders of magnitude) would have been a far worse product than what we got. Also my understanding is that they were intentionally going for this type of narrative style which given Shinobu's character, the nature of what happened, and the fact that the entire thrust of the episode is "Shinobu is telling a story" makes perfect sense.

I know what they were doing, I just didn't think it really fit the medium as well as the alternatives.

Calling it "lazy" was probably a poor choice of words. Someone had to draw all of that and it was probably quite a bit of work. It just didn't really draw me into the episode.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV 10

Wow, this already is a million times better than Phantom Blood. Battle Tendency's scope is larger, and it promises to live up to the "adventure" part of the name much better. We've already been in three countries (assuming the hijacking is supposed to take place in Britain). The music, the sound effects, and especially Joseph are hype. Joseph spent the whole episode doing increasingly ridiculous things,
and then he just pulls out a machine gun from nowhere and lays into Straizo without warning! What the hell!
America sure was a rough place in the 1930s!

CorvoSol

Dual! Parallel Troubles 6

Poor, poor Notsuka, she just cannot win. She's obviously competing for Tenshinji's heart here, but between the alien and the "adult" well, she just isn't coming out on top. Mechanical hijinks is the best means of describing this show, as the heroes seem unconcerned with fighting their foe and are instead busy goofing off in their mechs half the time. Though less so than say, Coop.

Narag

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV 10

Wow, this already is a million times better than Phantom Blood. Battle Tendency's scope is larger, and it promises to live up to the "adventure" part of the name much better. We've already been in three countries (assuming the hijacking is supposed to take place in Britain). The music, the sound effects, and especially Joseph are hype. Joseph spent the whole episode doing increasingly ridiculous things,
and then he just pulls out a machine gun from nowhere and lays into Straizo without warning! What the hell!
America sure was a rough place in the 1930s!

I had no idea about anything in Battle Tendency going in. People kept hyping it as it went along though saying one hadn't seen anything yet. They were right.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 1

So now with a TV series, we can get more info.

Why Ramia? Why weren't you the queen? Because it doesn't represent the spirit of magical girls, DUH!

Meanwhile in this paralell Unifarce, Sasami's dad is creepy. I can't help it. He took like 3 seconds to smooch her. Too long bro.

"I... I want to be a pianist" WHAT'S THAT? You want to be a penis? Speak up! *she's sickly dude. cut her some slack*.

After that bad attempt, Sasami clearly thinks like a normal girl when she discovers magic, but she doesn't fucking want it because she looks dumb. And I guess the explaination really is brief. "You're Pretty Sammy, who gives a fuck". lol.

DAMN YOU MISA, DON'T WAIT TILL NEXT WEEK TO SAY YOUR NAME!

sidenote: Sasami seems to gain shitty friends. Soon she'll be Sashimi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom