• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

good representation of the show then

Ooh burn.

I wouldn't call Log Horizon bad, really. It's far from brilliant, but I don't feel like it's really trying to be. It's just good, slightly dumb, fun with some nice touches (like making the world actually feel like an MMO).

Does that mean after Hunter x Hunter, at some point, it wouldn't be a complete waste of time to watch Fairy Tail? I'm just not in the mood for a silly action anime right now, but if there are some great moments here and there...I can bite later.

2 things to understand while watching fairy tail

-The powerlevels are broken beyond repair.
-Erza will always get nerfed one way of another

Give it a couple of more episodes before dropping it ... fairy tail has good moments ..but it's no HxH .
Hxh is a master piece ... FT is just a good shonen.

LOL I actually remembered it was from Toradora

toradora0910.gif

octo.gif

Damn I need to rewatch Toradora again, Minorin is awesome.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 3

4Ii1p5l.jpg

That's the face of someone finding your stash

Sasami: I only got a 60 on my test
Family: HELL YEAH MOTHAFUCKA

Misao: I got a 100 on my test
Mom: Too bad I don't give a fuck!

And you wonder why she gets targeted? So Misa gave me a show. When was the last time any Magical girl gave me a show that wasn't in the ending!? Misa's continued streaks of giving few fucks continues to be endearing, and is clearly the Number 1 reason why I'm watching this. Yes, even beyond the previous number 1, which was because Hito requested it.

I miss the OVA's Transformation
. Not just because of barbie dolls, but
because it was actually really fast. Granted TV version's henshin sequence is also pretty fast compared to what I'm used to. Konoha is now upset to acknowledge that Magical Girls are real. This will one day lead to creating a village of Ninjas.

LordCanti

As someone who likes both movies, I feel like people were more impressed by the intrigue than the actual ideas the series - as a whole - was trying to raise. Both about identity and about the lost generation.

Whenever I hear people (ie, ANNCast) tell people to watch the series but not watch the movies, I wonder why you would even bother watch the series in the first place? If you're not interested in the themes of the series, why not just watch something else that does political techno thriller in a much more interesting way?

But, I admit, I think we're in a minority in terms of viewing the movies as good conclusions to the series.

I'm not sure if it hit too close to home for a lot of people or what. Maybe they were too invested in the
love story
to the detriment of everything else?

I don't know what some people wanted. For
Akira to become "King" of Japan and for him and Saki to live happily ever after? If Mr. Outside had that kind of power to begin with, I'm sure he'd have just done that himself.

fertygo

Eden of the East Movie II

Realized I had never seen it despite having been a big EOTE fan back when it aired:

This is the best conclusion I could have hoped for. It didn't make any sense that
Mr. Outside
had as much political power as it seemed, and the revelation that
Number 2 was actually allied with the PM
was right where I was hoping they'd go with it. I remember people complaining about the ending, and I'm guessing that I'm remembering them being angry that
Saki and Tokizawa don't end up together. I can see that, but it really gets put into context when you hear that they'd spent all of eleven days together or something total. You can't become the King/Most wanted man in a country and then somehow settle down either. It was never going to work like that, and I'm glad that they had the balls to go through with it. I usually want the good end, but I'm more than happy with the ending that was presented here.

For some reason this series picked up a bad reputation after the TV series ended, and after watching the movies again, I don't really know why. I thought it was great, even if they don't entirely sell the ability of the phones to do some of the stuff that Juiz does in the show.
Its hated because the movies spinning around political mumbo jumbo that people like me not give a damn.. way too absurd one at that too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not sure if it hit too close to home for a lot of people or what. Maybe they were too invested in the
love story
to the detriment of everything else?

I don't know what some people wanted. For
Akira to become "King" of Japan and for him and Saki to live happily ever after? If Mr. Outside had that kind of power to begin with, I'm sure he'd have just done that himself.
No, I don't think it was the romance component. At least, not for the (mostly) male critics/posters who I've seen bring up the show from time to time.

I really do think it's people who wanted more techno thriller stuff, with cool looking flip phones and whatnot, and that's definitely not what the movies gave people. Especially the first one, which all but ignored the metaplot entirely.

LordCanti

Its hated because the movies spinning around political mumbo jumbo that people like me not give a damn.. way too absurd one at that too.

I didn't find the political aspect to be all that complicated, but I guess that's because I'm familiar with Japanese politics.

No, I don't think it was the romance component. At least, not for the (mostly) male critics/posters who I've seen bring up the show from time to time.

I really do think it's people who wanted more techno thriller stuff, with cool looking flip phones and whatnot, and that's definitely not what the movies gave people. Especially the first one, which all but ignored the metaplot entirely.

That makes sense I guess. If that's what people wanted, then it's definitely not what they got.

They could have done two more TV seasons filled with Selecao one upping each other over and over I guess. I didn't necessarily want that though.

The 2nd Eden of the East movie itself isn't really the main problem, it does an adequate job ending a series which as a whole suffered from Guilty Crown tier writing.

Sword Art Online 14

FFS, can at least see them lock lips on screen?
Now the search for Asuna begins! Can't wait to see how this turns out

Jarmel

Banned
GaoGaiGar Final- fin
Friendship is magic? Fuck that, it's courage. So I came in expected a slightly darker version of the GGG TV series and while I got that, I also got a legitimately great sequel. It takes all of my complaints about the original series and for the most part fixes them.

Pacing? Nailed.
GAR? Got extra.
Amazing climaxes? Which one?
Solid storytelling? Covered.
Earned victories? Hell yea.
Stock footage? Fuck that.
Awesome battles? Where? All I saw was curbstomping.

Let me start with my complaints so I can just get this out the way. There was too much fanservice, and I don't mean blood roaring GAR type fanservice but male gaze,nudity, and gratuitous tits everywhere. I didn't really mind that much but it did get to be a bit overbearing and was noticeable. It did solidify though that the OVAs weren't meant to be watched by kids, the original demographic of the TV series. There is also the matter of the new characters and that I think they should have been fleshed out some more especially Renais. I also thought the villains should have been fleshed out more. They're there as foils essentially and that's it. The main issue with the Zonders/Primeval crap is that there really isn't a good explanation for their behavior till the Z Master explains it at the very end. If they had introduced it earlier, it might have put some earlier events in a more interesting light. Here the reasoning of the Soul Masters is laid at the forefront and the question raised is, which universe should have the right to exist? The answer is of course determined through strength but the villains are mainly trying to revive their dead civilization. Feels like a better version of Man of Steel, to an extent, actually. Neither side tries to justify their argument other than punching the other side in the face, which is fine. Some things can't be settled with words.
This is just straight up action for the most part and they really go all out.
How often do you get to see a sun get taken offline?
I thought the 2nd episode might have had the best fight sequence from an emotional standpoint, as it is really well built up towards, however the final episode makes some good counterarguments. Guy smashing in Palparepa's face was pretty damn satisfying. Really most of the Final OVAs are built towards facing counterparts against each other in drag out fights to the death. No holds barred here. You see blood, limbs, and broken bodies everywhere. It stands in sharp contrast to the TV series where I don't remember Guy ever bleeding. It really adds to the GAR feeling of the show when a person is yelling about courage with blood dripping down his face. The fights are the definition of brutal, in most versions of the word. The fact that the mechs get damaged and flat out broken here, really adds to the tension and drama.
This was a proper sendoff to the series where they took the best elements of the original TV series; mainly the 'epicness', GAR, and courage and elevated it to 11. You have people giving riveting speeches and standing up one more time. This is really helped by the pacing being much tighter. Instead of your attention wavering due to seeing more stock footage, you're seeing something even crazier or awesome. It really highlighted the flaws of the OG TV series in this regard. I now wish there was a truncated version of the TV series.
The show also reduced the amount of attention focused on the annoying/distracting elements such as the Autobots and Mamoru's friends. While the Autobots do get a proper sendoff, the time spent on them is thankfully reduced. The 'friend gang' is left on Earth and pretty much forgotten. The show centers all of the action in the parallel universe and is better for it.
I'll be frank, I wasn't that fond of the OST in the TV series. While I liked a few themes such as Yuuki Aru Tatakai, there were a few clunkers as well. I did like the fact that Final used so many of the old themes and remixed them, the best of which is the new Final Fusion. They did a great job adding an orchestra element to the OP(which just got more epic as the OVAs went on), along with the other themes.
I also thought the directing as a whole got a league better. There is proper use of lights to create mood, especially in the earlier episodes. The use of religious symbolism helps give the show an extra flair. The storyboarding is much better especially with the way some of the 'epic' shots are framed. The directing also seemed to be more aware of certain things and played with a few elements more such as the golf club activation scene.
What Final is, is a franchise growing up and taking the best with it into adulthood while leaving the childish elements behind. While drills are good for piercing your chest, hammers are good for smashing your face in.

ivIbFFb7J6UP.gif

It's all about dat last HIKARI NI NARE! Nobuyuki Hiyama put his fucking soul into that one.

TLDR; Courage is the driving force of a man.

Kyousougiga 4

It's really weird that they rarely mention their father, and never talk about their parents as a unit. It's mostly always mother mother mother. Is this a Japanese thing to not be so close to ones father?

I kinda feel sorry for the guy, seems like his children don't care too much for him :(

LordCanti

Kyousougiga 4

It's really weird that they rarely mention their father, and never talk about their parents as a unit. It's mostly always mother mother mother. Is this a Japanese thing to not be so close to ones father?

I kinda feel sorry for the guy, seems like his children don't care too much for him :(

Their recent focus on the mother probably has something to do with Koto showing up (Koto being the name of their mother as well).

Sword Art Online 13

FFS, can at least see them lock lips on screen?
Now the search for Asuna begins! Can't wait to see how this turns out

I thought it was 14.
Really didn't like the way Kirito "beat" his way out of that last fight. If it was like a hidden skill triggered, I would have accepted that, but this...
Well, nice to see the arc ending. Which brings up the question if I should leave now before I regret it or stick around for more craziness.
Not hating on it... yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That makes sense I guess. If that's what people wanted, then it's definitely not what they got.

They could have done two more TV seasons filled with Selecao one upping each other over and over I guess. I didn't necessarily want that though.
We need more fat hackers to be all anti-social and hackery! lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Infinite Stratos S2 5

Anime does not get any better than this. WTF at the ending though, so random and non-sensicial.

Articalys

In a sort of antithesis to what duckroll did for Accel World, I wonder if it's possible to get a guide to watching all of the Infinite Stratos fanservice and none of the action.

Log Horizon 4 - Good episode! The girl they rescued seems mostly useless, but this IS an RPG and she is only level 19 while they are level 90, so that is to be expected. It was nice to see that jerk of a villain lose. I presume eventually the characters will fight some opponents who can threaten them, but this easy opposition is fine for now, and lets the MC show off his impressive tactical (and ability-using) skills.

However, as the post below says, seriously, 15 sec. cooldown and 15 sec. duration? That skill is just broken, and that was the key to how he won! Kind of sketchy for sure. Oh well... I still like it, even if that was a bit unrealistic.

log horizon 04
pretty lame episode, largely due to the fact that it was tied to a single floundering action scene. direction and art were noticeably worse than usual for the series, and frankly it is rather boring to have the main cast be what are essentially super elite unbeatable super heroes. in a world already struggling to find an identity, it loses a lot of its bite when nothing is particularly threatening.

also, your game would have to be super poorly designed to allow a root spell with a 15 second cooldown to last a full fifteen seconds. logically you could just root lock anything at that point and just walk away. even though there are more in depth game elements to the show the story resorts to misconstruing how things work in order to sensationalize key moments in the action.

also also, the cat is dumb.
No, he's kind of cool. You are entirely right about the thorn spell, though. 15 second cooldown and 15 second duration? That's ABSURDLY! overpowered! This game's been out for some time, there's no way such a badly balanced skill would still be around...

Infinite Stratos S2 (about ep. 4)
Surprising? They can materialize parts of or all of their robots out of thin air with the power of thought, having a visual water effect's not such a big deal.
So you think they summon the robots through nanobots too? Yeah, I guess that's probably how it works... I'd never thought about how they summon them, really. "Close enough to magic" technology seemed to be the only explanation... and the same goes for how they are protected from harm by their IS even when they're not wearing it, too. But yeah, I guess it could all be nanobots plus "close enough to magic" technology stuff on top of that.

As for the end, why not?
The other robot took out two of their allies already(love the lack of concern for their whereabouts though), Ichika was low on energy, who knows how much energy Russia had left or even whether her mech's any good against that type anyways, the rest of Ichika's harem seemed outclassed, why press the attack under those conditions when your one true goal is to defend yourself and your school?
Well, that opponent seemed pretty threatening, wouldn't at least TRYING to stop her make sense?

Infinite Stratos S2 5 - This was another okay episode. It didn't match the "highs" of the first season, but wasn't quite as bad as the first few episodes of the second season, either. So, in this episode, the girls all get together to hold a "service Ichika" competiton, pretty much. Each girl set up a themed event with him, and he was forced to participate (since, come on, doing stuff with scantily clad girls? As if Ichika would do that by choice!). Houki was first, and she did a tea-drinking event in a very Japanese setting... with a fox-spirit costume on.
Ichika showed a bit of interest in her, maybe, I think? There was a moment at the end where they were getting closer that was interrupted, for sure, anyway... another reference ot that otherwise-forgotten scene from the end of S1, or am I reading too much into this? Probably the latter, but it did happen.
Cecelia was next, and she played pool with him dressed in a bunny suit (leotard, tights, etc.). She's good at pool, and this was probably one of her better scenes so far honestly. Third was Char, who dressed in a "french poodle" bikini and tried to feed Ichika. She... almost succeeded...
only to end up going just a bit too far and getting red-carded by the teacher, who was overseeing the proceedings... what, can't have something happen which might help a girl actually win this? Darnit, best girl should have been allowed to win! Ah well, it's not like Ichika would have done anything anyway, even with her asking him to eat that cookie from where it had landed.
Rin... got upstaged by Russia (I forget her name... too new a character :p), who either is trolling Ichika hard or should by in the ED already. Either way though, she did a great job of trolling the girls, and is definitely one of the few bright lights this season. So yeah, Russia was great as usual.

And finally, Chifuyu appeared...
in a maid costume, and fed Ichika a bite of a parfait. Then they revealed that actually this was a birthday party for Ichika, as opposed to just being a "whose event does Ichika like the most" thing, since this was his birthday. Apparently this is the first time Chifuyu had actually been at his birthday party in quite a few years.

Then they ask Ichika whose event he liked best anyway. I wasn't surprised to hear Ichika say
Chifuyu's. Yeah, incest-bait there for some fans, but from his position he meant it entirely innocently, there's no question about that.
Then naturally Ichika is surprised when the haremites get angry at him. Remember, Ichika still has no idea that any of the haremites except for maybe Houki (see S1 ep12) likes him! Of course this is completely, totally impossible to believe nonsense, but that IS the canon reality of this absurd series. He doesn't know most of them like him and thinks that they are just friends, so he doesn't understand why they are angry. :lol :lol

Finally, at the end, at the last moment, the mysterious girl from ep. 4 showed up, and the plot suddenly moved forward!
She seems to be Ichika's female clone, and wants to kill him in order to prove her existence or something. You know, your usual evil-clone thing I presume. This made me think though, did they refer forwards to this back in ep. 11 (and maybe also 12) of S1? You know, that part where Ichika was in a dream or something, saw that white-haired girl, etc. I really should rewatch that episode and compare it, because it'd be interesting if the writers somehow managed to actually make a functioning forward reference to something in this usually comically badly written franchise.

In conclusion, I hope they are both okay, but nothing of real value would be lost if he got shot... it's not like he has much discernible character or personality anyway.

Dresden

In a sort of antithesis to what duckroll did for Accel World, I wonder if it's possible to get a guide to watching all of the Infinite Stratos fanservice and none of the action.

But the fanservice is awful. It's all skin cancer and sharply angular faces.

Clannad: After Story 01

Yay for baseball episode! Actually I give props here as it is an excellent way to reintroduce the characters in a fun and comedic manner back from the first season, and comedic it was as the game played out.
Akio is just great, wish I had a fun dad like that. It was interesting how they ended the episode showing the afterparty of the game right when Tomoya was to make the game-defining bat. I actually thought it was some sort of pre-party before the game for a bit.

OP was interesting, gonna have to listen to it a few more times before I make a judgement. ED was alright, first season's was better but the "moonwalk" thing was nice.

Kyousougiga 4

I complained about the same thing but after discussion and reflection I came to the conclusion that

The eldest speaks of his mom fondly, but basically also loves the father. Yase's favorite was the mom and kind of disliked, though not entirely, the father for making her a demon. And the head priest is basically keeping his promise with the father. If you take into account the fact that little Koto loves her dad very much, that'd be two children who are team father and two that are team mother. I know their meetings usually involve saying something like "keep the peace for the sake of mother" but that's more of a prayer for me.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 02

Fluffy tails out of nowhere.
So in this episode we are introduced to Mayaka and already they've managed to tell us all that we need to know about her at this point in an organic way,
as well as introducing her relationship with suture club guy.
This episode also comes with the added benefit of having at actually interesting mystery on top of the character stuff. Speaking of which I really liked how this scene was presented visually. It is extremely effective at portraying Oreki's perceived distance from his peers.
I also continue to be impressed by the quality of the direction in this series. The layouts are pretty awesome too. Music felt better used this time around as well.
Last point I meant to mention is I like the OP and especially the way this effect was done. I'm a sucker for that sort of shading I guess.

Watch Hyouka.

That episode did have quality fuwafuwa for a moment. At this point the show was still interesting.

Blood C 1

Alright! A series I can actually care about enough to CARE when it goes Listworthy insane! And it is by CLAMP! Thank you, based CLAMP, for breaking up the monotony that was the List.

Girl is stupid incompetent in her day to day life but can kick Old Stone Scyther's ass, huh? I'm okay with this.

OOoooh You just started a goooood one :D

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad: After Story 01

Yay for baseball episode! Actually I give props here as it is an excellent way to reintroduce the characters in a fun and comedic manner back from the first season, and comedic it was as the game played out.
Akio is just great, wish I had a fun dad like that. It was interesting how they ended the episode showing the afterparty of the game right when Tomoya was to make the game-defining bat. I actually thought it was some sort of pre-party before the game for a bit.

OP was interesting, gonna have to listen to it a few more times before I make a judgement. ED was alright, first season's was better but the "moonwalk" thing was nice.

Oh boy, pack your tears. You're going on a Feels Trip.

Gazoinks

Revolutionary Girl Utena 11
screenshot092z7sre.png

Suddenly, balloons

Glardb Touga I hate you more than I hated your sister before the last episode. The end of this episode was surprisingly sad! Anthy becomes increasingly baffling. Is she actually a robot, or is she just hiding her true feelings? Kind of leaning towards the former.

No but seriously Touga sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom