• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clannad: After Story 02

I agree with Nagisa here, the plan (or whole episode really) is really complicated for a such a simple task.
I feel bad for Nagisa seeing her mom act as a fake girlfriend for Sunohara. The subplot so far is kind of weird with the whole fake girlfriend plan is just so Sunohara can have Mei stop worrying about him, however last season (and this season) doesn't have any precedence for such a relationship. Sure they're brother/sister but it seemed more like a carefree relationship as Mei spent most of her time at Nagisa's house rather than hang out with her brother.

Another thing, the intro-scene with the junk doll and the girl was nice with the animation being very fluid, however I wonder why in both seasons the animation budget was focused on these scenes mostly. As I understand it the scenes are just
a representation of a play.
The first season didn't really shed any light on why the animation is so focused in these scenes, hopefully they will do something with it this season as it really seems like a build-up of some sort.

Overall a fun episode, however it is really slice-of-life so far, awaiting a plot-arc of some sort atm, or perhaps this is one?

Quasar

I thought it was 14.
Really didn't like the way Kirito "beat" his way out of that last fight. If it was like a hidden skill triggered, I would have accepted that, but this...
Well, nice to see the arc ending. Which brings up the question if I should leave now before I regret it or stick around for more craziness.
Not hating on it... yet.

If you can resist hating a show for a bad second act. Maybe. But really...even for folks like me who liked act one..act 2 is a bitter pill. Ruining major characters along with just being really shitty overall.

I can't wait to meet the actual Hunters in Hunter x Hunter. They must be semi-evil, assholes or both to let so many applicants ruthlessly die during these early examinations.

Gazoinks

Do it; It never gets old. NEVERRRRRRR.

Gotta learn to swing the bat.

Incidentally, the English VA bloopers for FLCL are pretty funny just for hearing people attempt to pronounce Haruhara Haruko fluidly. The best VA bloopers I've ever seen were the Berserk ones though. Those were amazing.

yami4ct

Valvrave 16

So good. It's amazing to me how this show can transition so expertly from a "great" show to a legitimately amazing watch. That was just unironically good. Marie's story was well executed and really touching. Seeing a Valvrave
go into a berserk state
added some really interesting plot twists that I cannot wait to see followed up on. Also, that music and that battle animation. It's all so well done. Why can't Sunrise execute like this on your typical AU Gundam show? For those, the animation is there but the plot is a mess. VVV proves that they can get people that can take the stupidest plot and execute it so perfectly that it doesn't matter. Get these people on Gundam!

If VVV can keep this up, and I'm almost sure it will, it'll easily be my anime of the year. These past few episodes have made the gap so vast that I don't think anything can catch up.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 4

There's something about the diversity of the cast that keeps me invested in everything even when the individuals who comprise that cast aren't particularly interesting on their own. Bouncing between all of these subplots is actually a pretty effective way of keeping things fresh; none of the dramatic beats really overstay their welcome and that's decidedly a good thing given just what a high percentage of the cast seems to have some kind of tragedy or otherwise bitter memory in their past that defines who they are today. The ratio of colorful bouncy SoL content to more serious fare is just about where it should be, all while avoiding constant mood whiplash. I can kind of accept that everyone is just young and resilient and because of the unpredictable, magical nature of the environment in which they live, they all just roll with the punches and don't dwell on any particular thing for too long. Honestly, I like it.

cajunator

Banned
kyou wa ii tenki~♫

1voGyl.gif

But my point was that it's not a localized name change, just an alternate romanization.

That song. Love it so much. Dub doesnt do it justice!
Also yes Im aware of that just saying it would be perfect for 4kids use.

You could tell she was laughing when she did the takes for this.

Who wouldnt? they probably had a blast doing it.

Infinite Stratos 2 - 5

BtE1haH.gif

Indeed.

Clannad: After Story 03

Right when I was hoping for a plot-arc one shows up! And so far a good one at that too. Tomoya's hilarious pranks turns out to be some twisted psychological test,
kind of funny how the tables have turned in that when it was meant to target Mei it is now targetting Sunohara.
Not gonna lie, Sunohara was pretty much a douche this episode but I think that's what the show is trying to show when one is blinded by love and does/says stupid crap.

The way that episode ended though was intense.
The apathy from Sunohara was more in the feels than from Rei or Shinji in Evangelion. Wonder if this apathetic/selfish state Sunohara is in is solely from falling in love with Sanae or his delinquent nature he shares with Tomoya, will be surprised and pleased if it is revealed to be the latter.

And something I noticed is that the art-style in general has greatly improved and each character is unique in how he/she is presented. Where I said back from the last season the characters looked really bland, now they really look like their own character, the change of clothes do help this.

Oh and of course we get this little scene from the episode.

Jintor

Log Horizon 01

Surprisingly fun, especially straight after watching SAO 14 (jesus fuck). Looks and feels a tad generic but I like the way they've implemented the premise, the characters are pretty fun, the idea of starting at Level 90 but having expansion pack content to plough through is interesting, and it's just all around way more interesting.

Terrrrrrrrrrible OP though. Just... hideous.

Jarmel

Banned
Dai-Guard- 2
Well this was somewhat better but the lead is pretty obnoxious. He's obviously designed to emulate the worst attributes of mecha pilots but it's still somewhat annoying. I will give him props though for this control scheme:
Pretty original thinking right there. So far this feels like a shitty version of Patlabor mixed with Pacific Rim.

fertygo

I'm gonna rewatch Hyouka soon, maybe after finishing watch Lain.. already rewatch the first eps though to see if its wise, its better than what I remember.. might've watch that first episode again when I decide to start the full run.

Also Dai-Guard is great, Jarmel. Mizushima still pretty good back then. Granted I don't know the POV from person that already watch the whole of Patlabor.

Jarmel

Banned
Also Dai-Guard is great, Jarmel. Mizushima still pretty good back then. Granted I don't know the POV from person that already watch the whole of Patlabor.

The problem I'm having with this is that the lead has no military training and he runs way too hot in general. It doesn't feel realistic despite them taking a realistic tone. With Patlabor, the crew had already gone through training with crap bots and had a lot of experience before being put on the force. Like if they want to keep the corporate tone, then somebody needs to go to mech bootcamp.

Another issue is that Dai-Guard doesn't feel realistic as a mech. There isn't a good reason as to why you need three pilots other than poor design.

fertygo

The problem I'm having with this is that the lead has no military training and he runs way too hot in general. It doesn't feel realistic despite them taking a realistic tone.
Nope, the pilot actually from military (training corp or something, I forgot) now he work on that private security company.

Jarmel

Banned
Nope, the pilot actually from military (training corp or something, I forgot) now he work on that private security company.

What the fuck. Like did he get kicked out of the military? He doesn't act like he has had any training other than basic operations of the mech.

This must be commentary on Blackwater.

fertygo

What the fuck. Like did he get kicked out of the military? He doesn't act like he has had any training other than basic operations of the mech.

Err its some college or something, I kinda iffy with the detail.. but on latter eps
the military build similar mech that piloted by his college teacher that back from retirement

The rest of pilot also have mechanical training from the company, they're the most qualified one among other salarymen.

Clannad: After Story 04

Wow. This episode was fucking great and only 4 episodes in.

The soccer team were a gang of douchebags and I cheered when
Tomoya was about to beat the shit out of them then Sunohara dashed in resulting in a tag team duo against the whole team.
I thought that was going to be the climax of the episode but then this scene came on.

All the drama and pent up emotions finally came out
between the two best friends. The music fit great within this scene but more importantly it wasn't just Sunohara fucking up, it was both him and Tomoya. Sunohara's own argument really made me empathetic for him despite his douchebag behavior, it was essentially Tomoya's fault for starting the whole ordeal, however it was Sunohara who got lost in his own selfishness and apathy. And with Mei and Nagisa crying in the background it only added to tension in the scene.
Man, this episode was so satisfying and despite the drama it really showed that these two are really the best of friends.

On a minor note I finally took in the OP and say it is better than the one last season. This OP is more soothing and sets up a dramatic vibe whereas the previous one has its second half upbeat and basically just served to introduce a harem of sorts.

Articalys

Log Horizon 01

Surprisingly fun, especially straight after watching SAO 14 (jesus fuck). Looks and feels a tad generic but I like the way they've implemented the premise, the characters are pretty fun, the idea of starting at Level 90 but having expansion pack content to plough through is interesting, and it's just all around way more interesting.

Terrrrrrrrrrible OP though. Just... hideous.
Why do the people who dislike Database dislike it? All the engrish lyrics in the song?

Jintor

Why do the people who dislike Database dislike it? All the engrish lyrics in the song?

That and the accent I think.

Like, if it was, say, Lotus Juice rapping over the top I'd be fine with it because his pronounciation is relatively okay and Meguro can rescue the bits he sounds weird in. But Database doesn't really pick up until the japanese lyrics kick in, and that's a good few seconds of just straight up bad english vocals.

Jintor

I will say the other annoying thing about Log Horizon is that I totally had something like it stewing around in my brain for a few months and now I feel like I can't write it.

Oh, well, I should probably do a rough outline anyway...

I will say the other annoying thing about Log Horizon is that I totally had something like it stewing around in my brain for a few months and now I feel like I can't write it.

Oh, well, I should probably do a rough outline anyway...

I know that feel.

Kyoukai no Kanata has several ideas that I either had, was getting to, or taking in different directions.

Unfortunately, KnK is fucking around. They're wasting the concepts in a slice of life/school setting and the plot tends to be interrupted with innuendo and perverted jokes every 5 minutes. They also have a good main theme in the OST backing it, so that even disappoints the musician in me. Part of me is hoping the show bombs so the ideas can be done better.

It's difficult to make anything truly original these days (as far as Fantasy and Sci Fi go), so it's best to have as few obvious similarities as possible.

Nordicus

ippo rising 5

if only the ost wasn't so shitty :/
Yeah, it kinda showed during New Challenger, but this season there have been bad picks almost constantly.

Like episode 3 during the beginning. Shuffle? REALLY?

The song used when Aoki was baiting Imae and recovering his strength during this episode was all kinds of wrong

cajunator

Banned
Notes from a Sentai Filmworks panel at a smaller con in Vermont this weekend -- their March release slate will at least include the second half of Sakurasou, the third Mardock Scramble movie, and To Love-Ru Darkness.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?10688&p=212295&viewfull=1#post212295

Sold on Sakurasou and TLRD. Because reasons.

Gob Horizon AOTY
XKzwEoJ.gif

Thats certainly something.

the log horizon op sucks

It does actually, but you still cant forget how it goes.

Walkure, Texas Romanze 02
Hahahaha the heavy innuendo is so ridiculous.

Mio's got one of my favorite voices this season, next to Serara in LH

Youve got my attention with this.

This is disgusting and weird on so many levels.

Hell no it isnt. Its glorious!

Infinite Stratos S2 5

Anime does not get any better than this. WTF at the ending though, so random and non-sensicial.

You are quite right!

wonzo

Banned
Log Horizon 5

loghorizon5.jpg

shokusoma anime pls

I was wondering just what the deal was with the NPC's so I'm glad this episode answered some of the questions I had about them. The way food works in the "game" still seems kinda dumb and unnecessary though.

fertygo

Einzbern Consultation Room - 06

The joke continue

Hotdamn they even put Berserker's backstory effectively in here, I have little to no complaint for this adaptation now.

But the 2nd half of this eps, made me speechless.. these extra episode suddenly goes emotional, what the fuck.. and amazingly well done, its add little more detail for Iri characterization even.. Is this really extra episode? Wow, this probably better than actual ending episode.

So the million dollar question
Is Zecchan = Taiga?

Theonik

Yeah he fuckin' sucks. All about dat lamia
Lamia you say... Added to my list.

I feel kind of obligated to watch it as many times as I can before it simply becomes a fading memory.
:firehawk. Dat mono no aware etc.

If only gravity was like that GIF I'd actually try and watch it!

I must quibble with this, as I found the music in the first episode very effective at setting up an evocative atmosphere. The scene where Chitanda takes Oreki's club signup form with Bach's Air on the G String playing over top was the moment I fell in love with the show.
I said the music of the first episode was effective. Just that I wasn't particularly impressed by it save for a couple of moments perhaps like the one you mentioned.
Second episode was an improvement to that.

Wait, Happy Science is a real thing? Are the Happy Science films like propaganda films for their religion or something?
Yes it very much is, which is also why these films typically get a fairly large budget.

Yes!

The kinds of shows on the List are also not uniform. A while back I made a post walking through the shows I had seen personally and I outlined the basic groupings. Going too wild in a category you're not receptive to isn't a good idea.
And going through it alphabetically is an especially bad idea.

So, if you've seen Gravity 9 times, and it's about $20 a ticket, then you've spent $180 on screenings for a single movie?
Actually more since some of his viewings were even pricier tickets.

Einzbern Consultation Room - 06

The joke continue

Hotdamn they even put Berserker's backstory effectively in here, I have little to no complaint for this adaptation now.

But the 2nd half of this eps, made me speechless.. these extra episode suddenly goes emotional, what the fuck.. and amazingly well done, its add little more detail for Iri characterization even.. Is this really extra episode? Wow, this probably better than actual ending episode.

So the million dollar question
Is Zecchan = Taiga?
Yes, she is. Something about type-moon liking reversal role jokes, like in the Taiga Dojo, Taiga is the master and Ilya is the disciple...or so I heard.

Yes, she is. Something about type-moon liking reversal role jokes, like in the Taiga Dojo, Taiga is the master and Ilya is the disciple...or so I heard.

No, you're right. There are more specific things that confirm it too, but I can't remember them since it's been a long while since I watched those.

fertygo

Hajime no Ippo Rising - 05

What the hell happened with OST placement? Opera song for Aoki's fight? lolwut
Awesome eps though, best one so far.

No, you're right. There are more specific things that confirm it too, but I can't remember them since it's been a long while since I watched those.

eq5xLLE.gif

Screw you duckroll, Tiger's Dojo in blu-ray extra for new F/SN animu will be awesome.

Yeap, although I don't get any Tsukihime jokes to fully enjoy it :(

Yeah, I imagine Carnival Phantasm could be hard to enjoy if you haven't seen most of Type Moon's stuff. Even beyond Tsukihime, they have a whole hollow ataraxia episode and a bunch of Melty Blood and Kagetsu Tohya references.

fertygo

Yeah, I imagine Carnival Phantasm could be hard to enjoy if you haven't seen most of Type Moon's stuff. Even beyond Tsukihime, they have a whole hollow ataraxia episode and a bunch of Melty Blood and Kagetsu Tohya references.

I want to into Tsukihime but the outdated VN is hard to read for today's age, and the anime not exist, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom