• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
the holes by machino henmaru is the greatest take on the chuu2hole phenomenon and the inherently self destructive nature of it

KnK dropped. Can't stand heroines who acted stupid (thats not cute KyoAni) yet some how accomplish amazing things out of nowhere, Happened in Kon too, girls do jack shit yet are somehow amazing musicians.

This show is nothing compared to the great action in FMP second raid

How does one drop KnK?, it gave us a gift from the heavens even, one of the best character designs this season.

CorvoSol

That article by the translator defending his use of "eoten" is straight bullshit. I wouldn't suggest reading it unless you want pure intellectual masturbation that makes you want to bash your head against a wall. He just goes through every excuse he could possibly use to defend his usage of it, including that whole "Anglo-Saxon words are more emotional and/or more everyday" argument that I personally think is absolutely ridiculous, and I won't get into why I think it is because I know I'll end up with a gigantic, rambling post.

I don't think it's on their site anymore, but someone has it on Pastebin as "The 'Eoten' Manifesto." Good read if you want to get your blood boiling.

What bothers me more than anything, I think, is that he doesn't settle for using the word's surviving equivalent (although it's barely surviving, unless you're like a fantasy writer, maybe), "ettin," opting instead to use the now long-dead Old English version, "eoten," complete with proper declension, despite the fact that we no longer decline nouns in English (with the sole exception of singular and plural), and haven't for a very, very long time. Did they ever actually use anything other than the nominative/accusative "eoten" and its plural, "eotenas," or did they settle for just that instead of inflecting for case in every single line? I never actually bothered to watch it because I figured it would just piss me off.

Well, I mean, "Eotena" is a cool word and sounds nifty and I could definitely see it if you were like, writing a Tolkien style story or something, 'cuz it really sounds like the words he used for Rhohirrim names (Edoras, Eolingas, etc), and I've definitely seen once or twice the fact that old English words (fuck, for instance) which are shorter, are considered vulgar whilst Latin words are not, but that was less in the context of emotional language than to show how culture, even ancient culture, pervades our standards to this day.

That said, I was like "Really, Eotena? C'moooon."

There goes the bone

You know you'd want that bone
for Melissa Mao.

CorvoSol

Honesty time: The entire reason I want a final season of Full Metal Panic! (even though honestly there's enough material for 2 seasons or a 50 episode season) is because
I want to see and hear Sousuke Sagara offer to have sex with Melissa Mao.

And also because
Dammit I want to see that Laevatein sakuga.

Kyoukai no Kanata 1

This is more than likely due to the lame writing, but these characters don't play off each other well at all. It's like they're going down a checklist of how other recent LN/anime main characters and their respective heroines (I'm mostly reminded of Chuu2) spoke and reacted to each other and it's incredibly grating just how unnatural it all felt. Really disappointed in this first episode but I'm more than likely going to stick around for the the great animation and the pretty girls.

Articalys

Yahari OVA

Honestly don't know why I bothered to watch that, as aside from the wonderfully hyperactive Aoi Yuuki it was pretty boring even for an OVA. Well, at least I can check it off my list.

Syrinx

Spice and Wolf II 1

Is that really the new OP? I don't like it.

Ah, I had forgotten how awesome Holo is. Didn't realize she was sick there in the opening; thought she was drunk and facepalming cause Lawrence was talking to Nora about torture by sheep and just going "Really, guy?"

Yonafunu

Something to add about Kyoukai no Kanata:
the lack of context really didn't help the story at all. Context doesn't just come from telling the audience what's happening, it takes a bit more time than that, especially when combining a supernatural story with a contemporary setting.
The episode just felt very shallow, as if the story was just an excuse to make cool animation.

Of course, this was just episode 1, but hey.

Well, I mean, "Eotena" is a cool word and sounds nifty and I could definitely see it if you were like, writing a Tolkien style story or something, 'cuz it really sounds like the words he used for Rhohirrim names (Edoras, Eolingas, etc), and I've definitely seen once or twice the fact that old English words (fuck, for instance) which are shorter, are considered vulgar whilst Latin words are not, but that was less in the context of emotional language than to show how culture, even ancient culture, pervades our standards to this day.

That said, I was like "Really, Eotena? C'moooon."

Tolkien actually did use the Modern English form of "eoten," "ettin," in a place name. The Ettenmoors are an area in Middle Earth, apparently (I was never a huge fan of his writing -- I've always found his prose incredibly dull -- so I'm just going by what I've looked up; I did like the LotR films, though).

cnet128

Banned
Kyousougiga (2nd ONA) 1

Well, Random Passerby Little Girl didn't reappear in this episode, but we did spent most of the episode with Koto at a similar age, which I guess is the next best thing!

Dynedom

Honesty time: The entire reason I want a final season of Full Metal Panic! (even though honestly there's enough material for 2 seasons or a 50 episode season) is because
I want to see and hear Sousuke Sagara offer to have sex with Melissa Mao.

And also because
Dammit I want to see that Laevatein sakuga.

If those are manga/LN spoilers, I'm not gonna re-GOD DAMMIT

CorvoSol

Tolkien actually did use the Modern English form of "eoten," "ettin," in a place name. The Ettenmoors are an area in Middle Earth, apparently (I was never a huge fan of his writing -- I've always found his prose incredibly dull -- so I'm just going by what I've looked up; I did like the LotR films, though).

I think the problem a lot of people encounter with Tolkien comes in part from his writing style and his person. Tolkien wasn't exactly aiming to write a compelling novel with the Lord of the Rings (unlike, say, the Hobbit, which tends to be more user-friendly), but he was writing a Legend. Tolkien was a pretty stubborn guy from what I've read, and he probably would've been exactly the type to say "what people think be damned, this needs written."

That said, his descriptions of things are often very interesting. Like the dead marshes having been inspired by his experiences with WW1 and all.

Nowadays though I'm just glad there are the films so that people who can't jive with his writing style can still enjoy his stories all the same.

cnet128

Banned
Kyousougiga (2nd ONA) 2

A short episode featuring the antics of crazy scientist girl Shoko. She loses remote controls and blows up houses and doesn't afraid of anything. She's also voiced by the infinitely talented Saitou Chiwa. Reminds me a little of her role as Tsurugi in Sasami-san.

cajunator

Banned
Also, thank you KyoAni for recognizing that Mexican food = best food

Greek food is the best. Easily.

Looks like Aniplex is doing full-page newspaper ads for more than just the Monogatari Series now. One for Kill la Kill in this morning's Asahi Shimbun, drawn by Yoh Yoshinari himself:

Looks like KlK is going to be the next 300$ Aniplex release.

Coppelion - 1

Let's get the visuals out of the way first. Most of the attention as expected is on the filters, of course they don't look pretty by any means but if you can look a bit past them I think this was a good looking episode beneath. If you're into post apocalyptic scenarios, this episode features the kind of 'destroyed beauty' background art you're probably looking for.

wlaac1.jpg

The filters actually do seem to have a point to be there as they seem to indicate different levels of contamination with purple seemingly the highest levels and green and blue lower levels.

57sybn.jpg

With that said there is no doubt the color choices have been poor. If they went with the usual brown and gray colors I don't think it would be as repulsive to some as it is right now. I can tolerate this episode but I dread the thought of possible future episodes in those purple areas... I hope if we get to see normal locations that people still live, they're not filtered. The little view on the TV, is not clear to me if it's filtered or not.

Character designs and stylized look, look very nice to me.

Moving past the colors, I like the cinematography, if you can call it that. Scenes with camera rotation actually look interesting, I usually don't find them very good overall elsewhere but here panning over the ruins in the background is kinda cool and serves a purpose.

There are some clever scenes too, whether they're meant as foreshadowing future events it's too soon for me to say.

71dys3.jpg

right after the scene above, we see this

4fnxm6.jpg

the perspective is kinda screwed, on first glance I thought Ibara in the back is the doll and Aoi is looking at it!

2cbbk4.jpg

Now moving onto characters. This show features a really all star cast of voice actors and actresses which is one reason I'm interested to see more. We've only seen four of the characters in this episode, KanaHana's character is already on my nerves, I hope it doesn't end up annoying. Can't wait to see other characters as they look and sound more interesting.

Not much to say about the music as it's mostly quiet and relies on quiet and ambient sounds, which is very fitting for this setting. ED is meh, nothing standout.

I think I'll keep watching for now. If you can get over the filters I think it seems pretty solid otherwise. Give it a try, much better than that kyoani moeblob generic polished crap today :p

This looks incredibly beautiful. Love post apocalptic scenery too.

Uchouten Ending

I love you Uchouten, you magnificent beast. I have nothing more to add, really looking to watch it again in Blu-Ray.

Az4oREG.jpg

Waifu of the season.

She definitely looks it. Interested to find out why people like her so much.

cnet128

Banned
Kyousougiga (2nd ONA) 3

Some really nice "camerawork" in this episode. Subtle but effective presentation cues. Me likey.

Also, things randomly floating off in the air because why the hell shouldn't things randomly float off in the air. Gravity? What's that? This world does not adhere to such petty rules.

Meanwhile demon lady is somewhat, uhhh...well, let's just say you won't like her when she's angry.

Jarmel

Banned
Something to add about Kyoukai no Kanata:
the lack of context really didn't help the story at all. Context doesn't just come from telling the audience what's happening, it takes a bit more time than that, especially when combining a supernatural story with a contemporary setting.
The episode just felt very shallow, as if the story was just an excuse to make cool animation.

Of course, this was just episode 1, but hey.

Alright, this I don't get. There weren't any problems context-wise.

cnet128

Banned
Kyousougiga (2nd ONA) 4

I love Koto's loooong ponytail. It blows beautifully in the wind.

This episode was background/development for Myoue or something. Or at least that's what it was pretending to be. In actual fact, it was a study of the picturesque qualities of wheat fields at sunset.

Kuroko no Basket S2 is getting 26 episodes. Also Hanamiya and Himuro will also get solo CDs.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-02/kuroko-basketball-2nd-season-listed-with-26-episodes

Glorious.

By the way, I just realized that once noitaminA and VVV S2 begin next week, Crunchyroll will have a solid three hour block of anime on Thursdays:

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2 - 10:00am PDT
Samurai Flamenco - 10:30am PDT
Galilei Donna - 11:00am PDT
Kill la Kill - 11:30am PDT
Infinite Stratos 2 - 12:00pm PDT
Golden Time - 12:30pm PDT

In fact, the only other two mainstream series this season even airing on Thursday are Outbreak Company, which CR has but punted to a Saturday night latecast, and Nagi no Asukara, which doesn't have anyone simulcasting it yet.

Oh, and I guess Aikatsu S2 airs on Thursdays as well, but that one has pretty much a 0% chance of being simulcast anyway.

Yay! I might actually not fall behind on watching IS S2 and Kill la Kill.

Holy shit Squirtle :eek:

You went in.

jgminto

Coppelion 1
That was actually damn cool.
Really interested so far. The setting seems cool and I enjoyed the slow pace of the episode, really nice intro to the world. Characters were cool. I think the short haired girl was close to being overbearing but she was okay. The art is stunning. Fabulous backgrounds and the thick lines they use on the characters sometimes make them pop out nicely. I can see some people having problems with the filters but I think it makes sense with the setting. If they keep to the duller colours for the majority it should be fine but if half the screen is purple for most of the episode it could become a problem.

InuYasha 41

Miroku gives no fucks about asking 11 year old girls to be the father of his children. This is probably the first episode to show hints that Sango wants Miroku's staff by her being tsundere for him. Ending was pretty hype and this mirror girl Kanna seems pretty powerful.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary Episode 1: Okay, kind of on the fence with this series as I was really fucking bored during this episode, and considering we see such wondrous and otherworldly powers on display. Though given this is the Kyoto Animation show for the season, I should be grateful that no cake and tea are on display. Still a lot of nothing happening going on though. I really should not be this bored when you have an immortal and cursed human who are beginning a rather fucked up love story. Well, it is less surprising when our lead couple is as personality free and lacking in chemistry as these two. Also, the cliched high school setting and monster of the week junk is not helping matters. I think my favorite thing right now is Mitsuki Nase, who seems to be the deadpan snarker and indeed seems to have read enough literary tales to speak in tropes basically. Well, I'll give this a few more episodes and see if something worthwhile will happen or if it is going to be another Koyto snoozefest.

Dynedom

S-sorry, I thought it was obvious. FWIW nothing was a big spoiler in any significant way, but all the same, I'm really sorry.

Nah it's cool. Those aren't major at all from the looks of it.

Dresden: Should I watch Coppelion or what? How many chapters did they cover in the first episode (assuming they're cramming it in)?

Vecks

Kyoukai no Kanata 1
Nothing interesting yet. Mostly just a set up with nothing to really grab, either in action or story. So far, in terms of characters, it feels too much like past KyoAni shows--which is odd for a premise that is much more steeped in action/fantasy.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC 1-2 (Rewatch)
Yet another anime I watched a long time ago (when it first came out). The opening's CG is a lot worse than I remembered. The show, however, is still good. I rewatched the original movie for some context, only to discover there is none. While the characters are the same, they act different--or should I say that the mood is different. It's certainly not as dark as the movie and the characters aren't as serious and are quick to crack jokes.

InuYasha 42

Naraku, you have almost all of the jewel shards, you have InuYasha bleeding on the ground, and you have your poison bees that make Miroku useless. Why leave them alive? Just kill them already what good will leaving them alive do you? Also Sango is still somehow more useless then Shippo

CorvoSol

Nah it's cool. Those aren't major at all from the looks of it.

Dresden: Should I watch Coppelion or what? How many chapters did they cover in the first episode (assuming they're cramming it in)?

Seriously, though: Why haven't you read Sigma yet? It's so gooooooood. It's so good, I sent like, four PMs at like, midnight the night the latest volume came out just so I could nerd out to RyougaSaotome about how amazing it was.

You should read Sigma.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He seems to get along with his classmates fine. That said, we don't know much about his personal situation.
Right, I'm just making assumptions about the show based on past experiences.

Dela was the manifestation of the mental anguish that teenagers suffer coming to terms with Puberty. deep
Yes.

Everyone just played along because Tamako has a history of seizures when her delusions are confronted.
Was there every a brown girl or prince?!

Ghost in the Shell: SAC 1-2 (Rewatch)
Yet another anime I watched a long time ago (when it first came out). The opening's CG is a lot worse than I remembered. The show, however, is still good. I rewatched the original movie for some context, only to discover there is none. While the characters are the same, they act different--or should I say that the mood is different. It's certainly not as dark as the movie and the characters aren't as serious and are quick to crack jokes.

Oshii's GitS films, Kamiyama's S.A.C. TV series, and Kise's Arise OVAs are alternate takes on the basic premise and characters, and cannot be treated as part of the same continuity. I assume the same applies with Shirow's manga, though I'm not familiar with it.

Dynedom

Seriously, though: Why haven't you read Sigma yet? It's so gooooooood. It's so good, I sent like, four PMs at like, midnight the night the latest volume came out just so I could nerd out to RyougaSaotome about how amazing it was.

You should read Sigma.

I'm stubbornly holding out so they make an anime. >.<

Quasar

Copellion #1 - I liked what I saw. The girls attire is jarring given the setup, but I'm fine with it. So very pale they are. The premise is weird though...apparently many years after a nuclear disaster you send in a rescue team to find survivors.

jbug617

Banned
Crunchyroll launching in France.

For initial launch, at least 12 new simulcast titles will be made available with French subtitles. These simulcast titles consist of to-be-announced titles as well as the following previously announced titles from Crunchyroll’s Fall 2013 lineup: DIABOLIK LOVERS, SHIRIKAJIRI MUSHI, MISS MONOCHROME, WALKURE ROMANZE. The remaining titles will be announced in the days to come.

Episodes on Crunchyroll France will be available, with French subtitles, for free with ad-supported streaming one week after Japan TV broadcast for the first time. Crunchyroll premium members will enjoy immediate access to simulcast episodes, all available catalog episodes, and additional access privileges such as 1080p HD video and no ads for €4.99 per month. Viewers will be able to watch on multiple mobile and connected devices including iPhone, Android, Xbox, Apple TV, Samsung, and/or Panasonic Smart TV.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/02/crunchyroll-launches-streaming-service-in-france

madp

The Light of El Cantare
InuYasha 42

Naraku, you have almost all of the jewel shards, you have InuYasha bleeding on the ground, and you have your poison bees that make Miroku useless. Why leave them alive? Just kill them already what good will leaving them alive do you? Also Sango is still somehow more useless then Shippo

Naraku is a mystery wrapped in an engima wrapped in a spider wrapped in a baboon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only if they stick with the manga character designs. No drama character designs for me.
Have there been many shows that have made the drama to anime jump?

---

Also, I had no idea that they were going back to the well for this:
qNdoeWn.jpg

It must still be selling fairly well on DVD for them to bother getting the rights after all this time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That article by the translator defending his use of "eoten" is straight bullshit. I wouldn't suggest reading it unless you want pure intellectual masturbation that makes you want to bash your head against a wall. He just goes through every excuse he could possibly use to defend his usage of it, including that whole "Anglo-Saxon words are more emotional and/or more everyday" argument that I personally think is absolutely ridiculous, and I won't get into why I think it is because I know I'll end up with a gigantic, rambling post.

I don't think it's on their site anymore, but someone has it on Pastebin as "The 'Eoten' Manifesto." Good read if you want to get your blood boiling.

What bothers me more than anything, I think, is that he doesn't settle for using the word's surviving equivalent (although it's barely surviving, unless you're like a fantasy writer, maybe), "ettin," opting instead to use the now long-dead Old English version, "eoten," complete with proper declension, despite the fact that we no longer decline nouns in English (with the sole exception of singular and plural), and haven't for a very, very long time. Did they ever actually use anything other than the nominative/accusative "eoten" and its plural, "eotenas," or did they settle for just that instead of inflecting for case in every single line? I never actually bothered to watch it because I figured it would just piss me off. I guess they are using the genitive plural (eotena) right there in their title, so I guess that probably answers my question.
Wait, we're already using the strongly greek "titan" over the faintly greek "giant" anyway. This is dumb.

Vecks

Oshii's GitS films, Kamiyama's S.A.C. TV series, and Kise's Arise OVAs are alternate takes on the basic premise and characters, and cannot be treated as part of the same continuity. I assume the same applies with Shirow's manga, though I'm not familiar with it.

Yeah, I kind of figured that out after what happened at the end of the movie. Also... I noticed Motoko doesn't need to go nude anymore in the TV series.

Articalys

Have there been many shows that have made the drama to anime jump?

---

Also, I had no idea that they were going back to the well for this:
http://i.imgur.com/qNdoeWn.jpg[IMG]
It must still be selling fairly well on DVD for them to bother getting the rights after all this time.[/QUOTE]
With any luck they'll keep going back and applying the BD rerelease rule for more of their older titles. Cross your fingers for Hidamari.

Yami to Boushi Something Something 1

Excuse me, this isn't the incest yuri show I ordered! It started off like that
(plus some sort of but not really NTR)
but after that occurred
this magic ray of light took Noto Mamiko's sister away and this poor man's Kero-chan ruined the shit out of this overbearing atmosphere. AND THEN we either went back in time or to some magic alternate world because magic for some nonsense terrorist plot from people we don't know about.
Also there's that witch with the sexy thighs and the big hat.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom