• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
must be the new smell-o-vision version.

In seriousness, I hope the release includes the specials since those have never been translated.
Oh god, I forgot that post. lol
And I doubt it... surprisingly, they're choosing to dub it this time around. Same with Maria Holic, of all things. I don't even want to imagine what Maria Holic would sound like in English.

With any luck they'll keep going back and applying the BD rerelease rule for more of their older titles. Cross your fingers for Hidamari.
Yeah, even though the BDs aren't apparently the greatest, I'm hoping they do it. I wonder if there's some magic number of DVD sales that they're looking for in order to go back and pick up the BD rights.

Syrinx

Yuyushiki 2

Yui in this show kinda reminds me of Yui in Yuru Yuri. Except she's a bit more violent but also seems to be a bit more willing to get caught up in the random silly stuff the group does.

Nafe

I was going to respond earlier but NeoGaf kept going down so I'm getting to these now.

Like this:

Wings of Saint Nazaire
http://www.wingsofstnazaire.com/media.html

I need to have that beautiful 'OUTERCAM_SPRITE_EXPLOSIONS.GIF' at hand for occasions like this one.

Hm, it kind of looks half interesting to me. I tried some flight sim. type games like that years ago on the computer so I wonder how interested I'd be in them now? The last level of the second Star Wars: Rogue Squadron game looks kind of like that and I didn't find it as interesting to the rest of the missions where you're flying around going more point to point.

News just in time for the very near re-opening of CosmoDNA Community forum (October, 1). All these guys will keep that dream alive in there from now on...

Hm, that's different. I don't recall how many websites I've seen that use a horizontal scrolling style. I think it's really only been two or three. I'll have to give this more of a look as I'm quite liking the Yamato 2199 show anyway.

Speaking of Urobuchi, let's not forget that what is sure to be his magnum opus starts airing in less than a week:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MR4pDQ74NbQ/UfoKXgoUthI/AAAAAAAAlHs/xYA2DA4lS6w/s1600/mV4EdH9.jpg

I'm ready for Sengoku Fruit Warriors! ...I mean Kamen Rider Gaim.

Also, taking a look at the Toku thread I found out that apparently this is a thing...

tumblr_mtp9fwMtVL1s2twmxo1_500.jpg

The Mystical Laws is a mixed bag in that it's one part semi-legitimate story, and one part unfiltered Happy Science craziness. There's a certain progression in the recommended order for Happy Science films. First you'd start with The Laws of Eternity, which is basically a tour through the afterlife outlining the basic theology of the group while also trying to be inclusive of other belief systems to the point it becomes comedic. After all, any story that has Thomas Edison as an angel is clearly operating under broken criteria. Then you'd watch The Rebirth of Buddha, a movie which is more ordinary and mundane on its face as it stays in contemporary Japan, but quickly breaks any suspension of disbelief in how the conflict between the good religious group and the evil religious group plays out. Then there's The Golden Laws, which is more in the style of an educational family film as two kids time travel to various points in history considered important to Happy Science. After this there's The Laws of the Sun, which goes over the creation of the universe and human pre-history before touching on aspects left out in the first three films. Why the presentation is more dry than the other films, it also goes into some of the more stranger beliefs of the group without holding anything back. Last is Hermes: Winds of Love, which was placed last to be a cooldown movie as it would be a fairly standard if not well produced greek mythology story if it didn't remember that it had to throw in a little bit of craziness.

Considering all this, I'd probably put The Mystical Laws at the back end in this order. It's a lot like Hermes in that it's fairly subdued for the first half in a setting more akin to The Rebirth of Buddha, but much of the weirdness directly builds on what was introduced in The Laws of the Sun. I don't think watching this film first really spoils the overall experience, as it is important to remember that there are many things that The Mystical Laws doesn't touch upon and that all of the movies are fairly different outside sharing the same underlying beliefs. In fact, the movie never actually mentions the overarching father-god in the Happy Science pantheon by name! That said, the whole business about
space lizardmen waiting for a legal exception to intergalactic anti-invasion treaties
does steal one of the big laughs in The Laws of the Sun.

I have yet to go back and listen to the original Japanese voice acting, but so many characters in the dub cast were perfect. The stereotypically old Buddhist monk, the AI from that old PC game Outpost posing as the spirit of Japan, and all the various stooges in the Godom empire and Japanese government. It's not enough that the film scripts in blatant strawmen in the support of militarization, but it has to oversell it by making them sound as silly as they do. On multiple occasions it tries to emphasize certain lines through repetition, but quickcuts to a flashback quote making the whole exercise a comedy routine. That's not even going into all the silliness in the rest of the film itself, which clearly follows well established anime ideas and tropes when not doing something that's actually Happy Science.

OK, thanks for the write up Hitokage.

I was reading some of the comments after BGBW's write up and DiGiKerot mentions that
as if an energy ball weapon that's hotter than the sun wasn't enough, now space dinosaurs!
Haha.

I just took a quick listen to the original Japanese myself to see if I could tell who was in it and what it was like. I'd recommend the English dub, or possibly another depending on country, in that the Japanese actors and actresses seem to be treating it more like another anime but the English dub has all these quirks to it that just add the the whole movie's silliness.

What Hyouka does really well is to bring out the magic in the "mundane". That's one of my favorite kinds of fiction, when it uses a fresh lens to look at ordinary life and helps you rediscover the wonder in it.

It sounds like you would quite like Windy Tales as well. :)

Syrinx

Yami to Boushi Something Something 1

Excuse me, this isn't the incest yuri show I ordered! It started off like that
(plus some sort of but not really NTR)
but after that occurred
this magic ray of light took Noto Mamiko's sister away and this poor man's Kero-chan ruined the shit out of this overbearing atmosphere. AND THEN we either went back in time or to some magic alternate world because magic for some nonsense terrorist plot from people we don't know about.
Also there's that witch with the sexy thighs and the big hat.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Don't worry. You never will.

Kyoukai no Kanata - 1

Okay, wow, this really is bad writing. Holy Christ. Despite that, I still can't wait for the next episode.

KyoAni is drugs.

But seriously, despite the bad writing and fairly weak first episode, I have a feeling the next episode will at least be somewhat better. And if it isn't, at least it's pretty.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Coppelion Ep 1

I missed it! Can someone recap why the show has the girls in short skirt school uniforms again?

The show is really beautiful and I'm interested so far. I will echo the concern of one of the characters getting annoying. The two sidekicks have the "I'm not going to come through when it matters" look written all over their faces.

EDIT: Developing...

EDIT 2: awww yis >:)

Also, taking a look at the Toku thread I found out that apparently this is a thing...

tumblr_mtp9fwMtVL1s2twmxo1_500.jpg

My childhood what have they done ;-;

InuYasha 43

Booooo I liked this incarnate of Naraku the best so far why did he have to get axed so quickly :(

Fan girl pleasing episode, we got shirtless InuYasha at the end. With the Tetsayga getting destroyed I guess that means we'll have to see that stupid black smith again -.-

Defuser

Kyoukai no Kanata ep 1

Something wrong with this episode that I can't put my finger on. Seems kinda souless.....

edit:
Yup
It's the direction, seems damn awkward and terrible.

Quasar

Coppelion Ep 1
I missed it! Can someone recap why the show has the girls in short skirt school uniforms again?

Thats not covered at all. It does tell you why they aren't in sealed suits though. I guess because schoolgirls are cuter in uniforms than more practical clothes.

Coppelion's almost/slight butt shots aren't cutting it for me after I just got done with Highschool of the Dead. First you blind me and then you tease me, GoHands please!

Though in all honesty, the filter in this actually isn't bothering me as much as I expected. It's certainly not K levels of concentrated eye torture, though nothing but some tumblr gifs are.

Oh god, I forgot that post. lol
And I doubt it... surprisingly, they're choosing to dub it this time around. Same with Maria Holic, of all things. I don't even want to imagine what Maria Holic would sound like in English.

Yeah, even though the BDs aren't apparently the greatest, I'm hoping they do it. I wonder if there's some magic number of DVD sales that they're looking for in order to go back and pick up the BD rights.

Taisho Baseball Girls is not getting an English dub, only a BD release. If it was getting that treatment, there would also be a DVD version being rereleased.

Take a look at the Blu-ray and new DVD of Maria Holic. "New English Dub" is at the top of the box, while there is no such text on TBG.

jgminto

but after that occurred
this magic ray of light took Noto Mamiko's sister away and this poor man's Kero-chan ruined the shit out of this overbearing atmosphere. AND THEN we either went back in time or to some magic alternate world because magic for some nonsense terrorist plot from people we don't know about.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

You fool! What have you started!?

I still hate pancakes to this day

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Coppelion Ep 1

Right now the answer seems to be because anime. I guess the real answer is because they are military acadamy operatives, but other then that I got nothing.

but after that occurred

I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Attempting to understand it will only get you killed.

I hope you like episode 5.

hipbabboom

but after that occurred

I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Keep watching! The show explains how [spolier]Naruto's mom is a drunken ho at the end.[/spolier]

CorvoSol

Coppelion's almost/slight butt shots aren't cutting it for me after I just got done with Highschool of the Dead. First you blind me and then you tease me, GoHands please!

Though in all honesty, the filter in this actually isn't bothering me as much as I expected. It's certainly not K levels of concentrated eye torture, though nothing but some tumblr gifs are.

I kind of admired that the show ignored the laws of physics to shield me from panties when a girl in a miniskirt jumped from a bridge.

InuYasha 44

Rin is adorable with jaken and sesshomaru. Other then that this episode was pretty boring. I could follow an entire series of sesshomaru and company

Kyoukai no Kanata 1 :

Maybe I'm weird but I thoroughly enjoyed this. I didn't go into this episode with my expectations being high based on what I read here and I probably haven't been exposed to a ton of stereotypically moe shows in my day but my only take away is, "I like it." Maybe I have bad taste? Even the stereotypically moe stuff the episode was filled with put a completely non-ironic smile on my face. Maybe any and all criticisms I could potentially lob at the show are being eclipsed by "Oh my god, Glasses hoodie waifu yes pls yes." Is there something wrong with me maybe? Is this the first step in a long road that eventually ends with me becoming a recluse, ordering figurines off of the internet, and decking my walls with anime posters? Help me.

Can't wait for the next episode.

hipbabboom

InuYasha 44

Rin is adorable with jaken and sesshomaru. Other then that this episode was pretty boring. I could follow an entire series of sesshomaru and company

I'm surprised I made it through the entire first series of Inu Yasha. Definitely a product of its time. Though I remember enjoying it, that ping-pong plot of it is the only thing preventing me from wanting to start the second series. I'm with you: I'd much rather see a spin-off with the Sess and Rin being all Kenshiro and Lin-like though sesshomaru is a hard character to find motivation for. I can't imagine what they would explore that the prime series hasn't beat into the ground yet :(

Just wanted you to know that i just saw all the episode of " kungfu rainbow lazer force " and that i' m very disturbed right now ...

I dont know if my mind is ready for that other anime ... but damn never thought id watch an animated work so freaking parodying everything on sight.....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well since there is another season of Maria Holic, one has to assume that will also receive the BD-upgrade and English dub treatment. Wonder when that will happen?
I wonder if they'll keep the commentaries. I believe they were removed from this new release, unless I misread the features.

Dresden

rozen maiden - 13

It's an open ending that sets up future adventures to come (although, probably not in animated form), but it was still pretty satisfying - despite the threat they face, there's an assurance that they'll pull through, that this new Jun will be able to handle this task. A happy ending, in other words, even if it's not neatly concluded and there's no guarantee of actual happiness. But it leaves with a promise of such, and that's enough for me.

cajunator

Banned
grimdark Gen Butch x kyoani - I can dream...

...of moeblobs taking part in long exposition heavy conversations about everything and nothing and then slaughtered like lambs everywhere. headless moeblob blood num num. All sporting detailed animation by kyoani(TM)

AOTY right there

I would watch this with happy fervor. Morbid happy fervor.

Miss Monochrome is in the lead position for most bad one this season so far.
tumblr_mu0aucTXmR1r5lfkbo1_500.gif

Yeah its pretty terrible all around. What were they thinking here?

Articalys

Oh, it looks like there was a passage of some sort on the Kill la Kill Satsuki newspaper ad, written by Kazuki Nakashima. Here's a transcription of it; if anyone can provide a fluent translation, I'd be quite grateful. Best I can tell from machine translation, it seems to be some sort of narration by Satsuki.
五歳の時、その服を見た。
私はただその美しさに魅せられていた。
父は言った
「これがお前の花嫁衣装だ」
その意味に気づいた時、私は知った。
人類は服を着た豚だ。
ならば、私が支配する。 私が君臨する。
愚かなる者達を駆逐する。

私の名は鬼龍院皐月。
誰にも依らず、誰にも屈さず。
志を持ちて、ただここに立つ。
edit: okay, trying to interpret roughly from Google Translate, so don't consider this accurate at all, just a guess:
When I was five years old, I saw the uniform.
I was enthralled by its beauty.
My father said,
"This will be your bridal gown."
[ ]
Humanity are dressed like pigs.
In that case, I will rule over them. I will control them.
I will exterminate all those who are foolish.

My name is Satsuki Kiryuin.
Relying on no one, yielding to no one.
Carrying this ambition, I stand here.
Only line I have no clue what it says is the one in the middle of the first paragraph.

Branduil

Oh, it looks like there was a poem of some sort on the Kill la Kill Satsuki newspaper ad, written by Kazuki Nakashima. Here's a transcription of it; if anyone can provide a fluent translation, I'd be quite grateful. Best I can tell from machine translation, it seems to be some sort of narration by Satsuki.

There once was a girl from Nantucket
Whose father was born in a bucket
She had beautiful eyes
Of a most profound size
If you see her don't ask her to

I wonder if they'll keep the commentaries. I believe they were removed from this new release, unless I misread the features.

Here's the original sub-only DVD features. I have no idea if only the description is changed to state what the commentaries are, but I do not own this set to verify.

Special features from the original release state "Commentaries, Japanese TV Promos, Clean Opening Animation, Clean Closing Animation," while the new sets state "Club At-X Interview, Special X-Mas Night - Amenokisaki Holy Night Festival, Japanese Commercial Collection, Japanese Promotional Video, Clean Opening Animation, Clean Closing Animation."

Coppelion 1
Interesting premise and rather dark story. Will continue to watch to end

Kyoukai no Kanata 1
Sort of interesting and the fight scene at the end was pretty good. Probably will watch til its end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom