• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

KLK was fun, but it has a lot to do to avoid turning to shit, especially with 26 eps on the table.

I have to imagine the formula will deviate over the course of the show because I can't see how it could sustain itself for 24 episodes otherwise. If they don't they risk Star Driver-ing themselves.

Theonik

Kill La Kill 01
iLcZMWsftpKwb.png

Still bestgirl
Them postcard moments.
Voicecast was pretty great too. I don't think there is a single voice that I disliked.
I will not speak about it its hotbloodedness right now as this has been done to death.
The Re: Cutie Honey expectation seems to have been spot on so far, though naturally this is a lot less risqué as I don't think Penis and Balls man would have worked on TV.
A fair amount of [REDACTED] this episode though the :chet was a lot more prominent.

Compared to how good the character designs of the manga look, the rotoscoped garbage the anime puts out almost makes my head hurt. It's really sad and loses a lot of personality in translation.

You and I have completely opposite opinions there. I thought the manga art was good, but the rotoscoping was a brave, risky choice that put a lot more life into the characters than a straight manga translation would have.

I'm not interested in strict manga translations anyway. If the anime does it's own thing, I applaud it.

Necrovex

Hajime no Ippo 23/24

I expected the result between Mashiba Vs. Miyata prior to the actual match.
But hell, I believe Miyata had a shot near the end. It'll be interesting to see how Ippo holds up for the final fight.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I have to imagine the formula will deviate over the course of the show because I can't see how it could sustain itself for 24 episodes otherwise. If they don't they risk Star Driver-ing themselves.
They pretty much laid everything on the table from the get-go, so hopefully there's more to it than they let on.

Kill la Kill Episode 1 – If Only I Had Thorns Like A Thistle…
tumblr_mu4chpgdcc1rwu8gjo1_500.gif

First half of the episode was quite good and intense with really nice high climax action and good personalities. Once the main character got involved quality declined fast and came across feeling pretty boring. Which is rather unfortunate as all the action moments just came across feeling lifeless and just uninteresting. I think the anime would do well to focus more on the disciplinary committee members as there is huge potential if they all have wide variety of abilities and personalities, boxer was hilarious and
painful nekkid end even

Best characters so far are easily
the teacher when he followed her and then got into his non eyeglasses form and what not....best character in this anime
, Uzu and Houka.

Jarmel

Banned
It did have the same problem as Kill la Kill for me, where I don't understand exactly what tone they're going for; the moeblob humor seems at odds with demon-hunting and
it seems odd to play down the girl's desire to keep stabbing a human being
. The characters and story seem quite generic and bland, and I probably wouldn't be watching this if not for the KyoAni production values, but overall it wasn't unpleasant or anything.

I disagree to an extent. KnK's problem is definitely tone, not disagreeing there. The material in the show itself create this duality that hurt both sides of it. It should focus more on the supernatural and less on the moe. KLK's problem isn't so much the material in of itself, although there are rough spots there too, but rather the delivery of it. The end result is certainly similar but I would say the causes are different.

yami4ct

You and I have completely opposite opinions there. I thought the manga art was good, but the rotoscoping was a brave, risky choice that put a lot more life into the characters than a straight manga translation would have.

I'm not interested in strict manga translations anyway. If the anime does it's own thing, I applaud it.

I don't mind anime adaptations trying new things, but when those things go bad I'm going to call them out on them. So much of Aku no Hana's greatness comes from stuff like Nakamura's exaggerated facial expressions, something the rotoscoping completely destroys. Not to mention that it's just unpleasant to look like in general.

Disgusting, looks horrible

Your purism pisses me off. At least the show did something fucking different.

I don't mind anime adaptations trying new things, but when those things go bad I'm going to call them out on them. So much of Aku no Hana's greatness comes from stuff like Nakamura's exaggerated facial expressions, something the rotoscoping completely destroys. Not to mention that it's just unpleasant to look like in general.

The actress did a wonderful job with the character! She's at least half the reason the show was sold with me.

Branduil

I haven't seen KLK yet but the Trigger ballwashing is getting out of hand. There was this insane dude the other day who said KyoAni needs to do more work to reach "Trigger-level" like he was talking about Studio Ghibli or 1996 Gainax.

That's just silly. Trigger has a lot of potential but LWA had a huge budget, so it's not quite fair to compare TV anime to it. Kill la Kill looks very good, but it's not like it didn't have a lot of still frames and motion comic-like cuts either.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I liked the rotoscoping at times. Most often though it was done in a fairly lazy and sloppy manner. Many scenes relied on the excellent use of sound because faces were just a mess/non-existent.

Soma

CjAPfli.png

I was this close to using that image in regards to the manga art.

I'm just not a big fan of Oshimi's art 90% of the time. He's definitely improved from where he started though but meh. The anime art direction is so much better despite how facial details of characters seem to disappear after a distance of like 5 feet.

IS2 1
Further proof that Charlotte is the best girl. My rankings of the girls to me would be
Charlotte>Houki>Laura>Chifuyu-nee> Cecilia> Rin
1Gw.jpg

Also I like the pseudo yandere face she has here

yami4ct

Saying you find something unpleasant to look at and being purist are entirely different things. If someone finds the rotoscoping ugly, that's their opinion and it's quite possibly unrelated to being a manga purist. Just because something does things differently doesn't mean we need to shower praise if that thing turns out poorly.

wonzo

Banned
If it looked like that I probably would have watched more then 1 episode, garbage art style is garbage and completely ruined the show. Kill La Kill shows you can forgive an average plot with great style and flash, Aku no Hana shows you can murder a great story with awful art and blandness.
Compared to how good the character designs of the manga look, the rotoscoped garbage the anime puts out almost makes my head hurt. It's really sad and loses a lot of personality in translation.
CjAPfli.png

get out

Jarmel

Banned

Sigh. I don't even want the possibility of that. Oh god. The rate they're going they need to be out of that high school by episode 10. If the entire show takes place there then we got some major stalling.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad nor does being different automatically make it good either.

I'm not talking about the shows story which is quiet good based upon the manga chapters I've read, my problem is the anime's art style.

Branduil

Kill la Kill discussion is tearing AnimeGAF apart. Especially when it somehow gets spun off into Flowers of Evil discussion.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
With regard to tone, I don't feel that juggling light and dark is at all a problem. Life doesn't take on a consistent tone, and even when things are generally shit we try to find ways to amuse ourselves and laugh. You run into problems by juggling them poorly. Similarly, Ryuuko isn't so wrapped up in her revenge that she has no other personality to show bystanders.

yami4ct

Not going to lie, guys, my favorite part of Trigger is the Trigger logo. It's awesome. Other than that, they've done some promising stuff but nothing to deserve the utter devotion they're getting.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sigh. I don't even want the possibility of that. Oh god. The rate they're going they need to be out of that high school but episode 10. If the entire show takes place there then we got some major stalling.
they kind of packed enough people in the high school alone to fill a bunch of episodes. we've been presented with a long list of enemies out of the gate, and with the way the setting is being played up it would be weird for them to leave it.

Branduil

With regard to tone, I don't feel that juggling light and dark is at all a problem. Life doesn't take on a consistent tone, and even when things are generally shit we try to find ways to amuse ourselves and laugh. You run into problems by juggling them poorly. Similarly, Ryuuko isn't so wrapped up in her revenge that she has no other personality to show bystanders.

The issue for me isn't so much gallows humor as the show being so over-the-top that I can't take the more serious parts, well, seriously.

cnet128

Banned
Hm, was just looking back over other people's Kill la Kill impressions and spotted this screenshot:

And wow, if that's what the subs actually said, I really can't blame anyone for complaining about the dialogue. That's some Class A shoddy translation right there.

The actual exchange was:

Ryuuko: Stealing a girl's half-eaten lemon? Pretty lewd for a kid. Were you that desperate to find out what first love tastes like?
Kid: Why, you... You think you're so clever! I'll have you know I've had my first kiss already!
Ryuuko: Oh? Then I trust you have no regrets left in this world!

As in, you know, "because you're about to die". Hence why the kid responds "That's my line!" and then calls out all his friends to kick her ass.

(I love the casual tone with which Ryuuko delivers such a stereotypical badass line XD)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not going to lie, guys, my favorite part of Trigger is the Trigger logo. It's awesome. Other than that, they've done some promising stuff but nothing to deserve the utter devotion they're getting.
LWA was amazing. Inferno Cop was just OK.
The issue for me isn't so much gallows humor as the show being so over-the-top that I can't take the more serious parts, well, seriously.
I suspect that you're not really meant to. I mean, they're all going to get punched in the mouth eventually.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad nor does being different automatically make it good either.

I'm not talking about the shows story which is quiet good based upon the manga chapters I've read, my problem is the anime's art style.

I like the grunginess and ugliness of the show, though. I find it more cohesive to the story and more beautiful to look at than perfect, pretty character designs. The manga bothers the shit out of me because it looks way too pretty. I think it clashes horribly. Especially pretty boy Kasuga. I like the line art in the manga, but it's not extremely memorable to look at to me. Whether you like it or not, I'd have a really hard time believing you wouldn't remember the anime's look. Even if you say you don't, I couldn't believe it. It's too different.

LayLa

Kill la Kill 1

like an attractive person on cocaine yelling in my face for 20 minutes. entertaining but if they show up to the party like that every week i'll start avoiding them.

I was this close to using that image in regards to the manga art.

I'm just not a big fan of Oshimi's art 90% of the time. He's definitely improved from where he started though but meh. The anime art direction is so much better despite how facial details of characters seem to disappear after a distance of like 5 feet.

I never said the manga art was great either, it gets the job done though. The fact the character face issue is a huge problem for me, if it was deliberate ala watamote I could forgive it but it happens to everyone in aku no Hana regardless of if they're a shiteater or not

Branduil

TBH if this was Little Witch Academia TV instead of Kill la Kill I would probably be as effusive in my Trigger praise as everyone else is.

Dresden

That's just silly. Trigger has a lot of potential but LWA had a huge budget, so it's not quite fair to compare TV anime to it. Kill la Kill looks very good, but it's not like it didn't have a lot of still frames and motion comic-like cuts either.

Huge budget? There's not a lot of info about tv budgets in general, but from what we do know, what LWA got wasn't that much bigger. It's time that matters, and talent.

Ehhhh.....

The manga's designs - like, a few volumes in when Oshimi had improved as an artist - are pretty darn good.

Most of the affection for Trigger isn't due to what they themselves have put out so far, but due to Imaishi's legacy that he made for himself at Gainax.

Branduil

Yeah, that's the problem with critiquing dialogue in anime. Fansubbers always fuck it up.

Yeah, that's very true. Although half of my problems with the dialogue in KLK are the VOLUME and INTENSITY. I can't imagine all the exposition is that much more flowing in Japanese.

If it looked like that I probably would have watched more then 1 episode, garbage art style is garbage and completely ruined the show. Kill La Kill shows you can forgive an average plot with great style and flash, Aku no Hana shows you can murder a great story with awful art and blandness.

Regardless of how you feel about Aku no Hana's art style, "bland" is not an accurate descriptor. There's nothing else like it in anime.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kill La Kill - 01

I have fucking goosebumps right now.

Fuck yes. Fuck yes to everything and anything. Salvation has come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom