• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

The manga's designs - like, a few volumes in when Oshimi had improved as an artist - are pretty darn good.

Glad I'm not a crazy person for really enjoying the way that series looks, especially lately.
Tokiwa's
design in particular is a real favorite of mine.

cnet128

Banned
I never said the manga art was great either, it gets the job done though. The fact the character face issue is a huge problem for me, if it was deliberate ala watamote I could forgive it but it happens to everyone in aku no Hana regardless of if they're a shiteater or not

The thing is, the Aku no Hana anime doesn't even need facial expressions. Anything it loses in that department, it more than makes up for with the great body language that ordinary anime could never hope to come close to.

Regardless of how you feel about Aku no Hana's art style, "bland" is not an accurate descriptor. There's nothing else like it in anime.

If I really wanted to watch rotoscope animation I'd just watch the Ralph Baskhy Lord of the Rings movie which despite being from the 70's looks better then a 2013 anime

yami4ct

The thing is, the Aku no Hana anime doesn't even need facial expressions. Anything it loses in that department, it more than makes up for with the great body language that ordinary anime could never hope to come close to.

I cannot disagree more. Part of what makes manga Nakamura such a memorable character to me is the sheer expressiveness of her face.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have to imagine the formula will deviate over the course of the show because I can't see how it could sustain itself for 24 episodes otherwise. If they don't they risk Star Driver-ing themselves.

KLK could do worse than to be a secret mahou shoujo.

Jarmel

Banned
they kind of packed enough people in the high school alone to fill a bunch of episodes. we've been presented with a long list of enemies out of the gate, and with the way the setting is being played up it would be weird for them to leave it.

What star ranked was the boxing guy? I thought he looked like a level 2 which would just have the Chairs above him.

Branduil

Huge budget? There's not a lot of info about tv budgets in general, but from what we do know, what LWA got wasn't that much bigger. It's time that matters, and talent.

I don't disagree that those are the most important things(see Gonzo's short still looking like hot trash), but LWA had a budget of about $400,000. From what I understand that's several times the budget of the average anime episode and substantially more than even most high-end anime. I don't remember if even Dennou Coil had such a large per-episode budget.

Dresden

Glad I'm not a crazy person for really enjoying the way that series looks, especially lately.
Tokiwa's
design in particular is a real favorite of mine.

Tokiwa
is totes adorbs. It's too bad Nakamura is going to wreck her shit soon.

If I really wanted to watch rotoscope animation I'd just watch the Ralph Baskhy Lord of the Rings movie which despite being from the 70's looks better then a 2013 anime

I think the rotoscoping is rough - especially in the beginning, when the staff weren't as accustomed to the practice - but I appreciate the intent, and that in conjunction with the overall direction left me more than satisfied. More than anything else, it's daring in a way that you don't see much anymore. It lends to the production a very different atmosphere from the source.

cnet128

Banned
I cannot disagree more. Part of what makes manga Nakamura such a memorable character to me is the sheer expressiveness of her face.

I haven't read the manga so I can't really compare, but I don't think the anime does a bad job there. Certainly rotoscope Nakamura's unsettling smile and the almost frenzied-looking spark that can enter her eyes from time to time are some of the more memorable things about her character.

Squishy3

What star ranked was the boxing guy? I thought he looked like a level 2 which would just have the Chairs above him.
He was a level 2, yeah. There are 3 other level 2s besides him, then there are the 4 level 3s, then Satsuki herself.

Also there's old official art from Newtype showing what the serafuku looks like when not in battle form, for anyone interested. Linked just in case some people don't want it spoiled.

Kazzy

Inferno Cop brought us together; Kill La Kill will tear us apart.

It's really nice to see people being collectively enthusiastic about a product, but those masturbatory posts kind of defeat the purpose. They are just vacuous and turn people away.

Quasar

Well I tried Kill la Kill but didn't like it. Definitely not the kind of show for me. I didn't really expect to like it given the trailer, but gave it a try anyway.

IS 2 - it is exactly as I remember it. Which I guess is a good thing, as I enjoyed it enough to dig in a little bit to the LN during the hiatus.

Golden Time - still to watch, though the handful of manga chapters I read got me interested in the show so I guess unless its executed badly I'll enjoy it.

He was a level 2, yeah. There are 3 other level 2s besides him, then there are the 4 level 3s, then Satsuki herself.

Also there's old official art from Newtype showing what the serafuku looks like when not in battle form, for anyone interested. Linked just in case some people don't want it spoiled.

That's not a spoiler considering that was like the first key visual we got from the show.

yami4ct

The one-star characters just look like nameless mooks. There only seems to be about 9 or 10 two-stars and up.

If this show doesn't pull some sort of twist where an outside force ( rival school?) attacks with 4-star+ uniforms or some other great super power and forces all the characters to team up, I'll be highly surprised.

Best art studio Studio Pablo has made an October update to their schedule page which adds a couple new pieces of info.

1) They are assisting with backgrounds for Kill la Kill, which isn't a surprise considering their work on Little Witch Academia.

2) They are doing art direction for Shin-Ei's Anime Mirai 2014 short (the one with Kameda's character designs).

Otherwise, they still have their game releasing next June, a J.C. Staff show for the spring 2014 season, and a show with an unspecified studio for fall 2014.

Oh my last post got ignored. Well, I guess that's what happens when I get angry.

I do have something to say about the anime that could put me on Bass's side one day, but I don't want to talk about it if people haven't kept up with the manga. I'll just say that at a point, it is completely possible for the anime to just shit the bed even for me if it doesn't keep a 100% solid direction.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's really nice to see people being collectively enthusiastic about a product, but those masturbatory posts kind of defeat the purpose. They are just vacuous and turn people away.
Adulation isn't a big deal, it's when people start getting shouted down for raising complaints.

...outside the main character being female.

Jarmel

Banned

So there are only 5 enemies that pose a threat to her now? She's going to get nerfed like a motherfucker.

Dresden

2) They are doing art direction for Shin-Ei's Anime Mirai 2014 short (the one with Kameda's character designs).

Otherwise, they still have their game releasing next June, a J.C. Staff show for the spring 2014 season, and a show with an unspecified studio for fall 2014.

Cool. Still hoping for zexcs in fall.

I don't disagree that those are the most important things(see Gonzo's short still looking like hot trash), but LWA had a budget of about $400,000. From what I understand that's several times the budget of the average anime episode and substantially more than even most high-end anime. I don't remember if even Dennou Coil had such a large per-episode budget.

I don't think 300k (probably more, depending on production and allocation) is substantially lower.

So there are only 5 enemies that pose a threat to her now? She's going to get nerfed like a motherfucker.

They'll probably wrap up with the school in the first cours, before moving onto greater threats - Satsuki and Ryuko totally sis-enemy-friends by that point - in the second half of the show.

Mik317

Kill La Kill 1

This shit is awesome.

The suit is a bit....out there but whatever it fits the show's insane-ness.

Also the VA is pretty awesome for everyone so far,...it weird since unless it's a dub I dont tend to care but yeah something about it stands out to me. Soundtrack is pretty good too.

It is just a fun watch...still I wonder if it can keep it up. I can see how it may not be for everyone but yeah I think it is pretty awesome.

I like the grunginess and ugliness of the show, though. I find it more cohesive to the story and more beautiful to look at than perfect, pretty character designs. The manga bothers the shit out of me because it looks way too pretty. I think it clashes horribly. Especially pretty boy Kasuga. I like the line art in the manga, but it's not extremely memorable to look at to me. Whether you like it or not, I'd have a really hard time believing you wouldn't remember the anime's look. Even if you say you don't, I couldn't believe it. It's too different.

I'm not going to say the anime's look is unmemorable it is if nothing else very unique. I don't think it looks very good but it certainly makes it stand out in a crowd. I honestly would have rather seen the series just be a straight up j-drama I probably would have enjoyed it more.

I'll admit I've never been a big fan of experimental type art, you can ask Toonami gaf about my perma rage over the special Kick Heart when that aired awhile back. Maybe it has something to do with me being color blind, I dunno.

ibaiJtBH9LoBUj.PNG

LOL

Well, that just sums everything up in one image.

cajunator

Banned
The skimpy outfit and the whole premise around it reminded of Sumomomo character Nakajima Sanae. The skimpier the outfit the stronger she gets.

You guys havent seen Ultimate girls then heehee

Something somewhat interesting in PaniPoni Dash 17:

Part of the Soredemo Machi cast, years prior to their adaptation of it. I guess Shinbo or whoever was a fan of the manga.

Whoa...I knew it was Shaft but I never noticed!

Not to mention he an Hyouka avatar.

oof

You don't know how to have fun.

Of course not.

Kill La Kill 01

Them postcard moments.
Voicecast was pretty great too. I don't think there is a single voice that I disliked.
I will not speak about it its hotbloodedness right now as this has been done to death.
The Re: Cutie Honey expectation seems to have been spot on so far, though naturally this is a lot less risqué as I don't think Penis and Balls man would have worked on TV.
A fair amount of [REDACTED] this episode though the :chet was a lot more prominent.

Team Big Hat Loli grows stronger.

I'm not going to say the anime's look is unmemorable it is if nothing else very unique. I don't think it looks very good but it certainly makes it stand out in a crowd. I honestly would have rather seen the series just be a straight up j-drama I probably would have enjoyed it more.

I'll admit I've never been a big fan of experimental type art, you can ask Toonami gaf about my perma rage over the special Kick Heart when that aired awhile back. Maybe it has something to do with me being color blind, I dunno.

Oh my god, I fucking LOVED KICK-HEART! It's one of my favorite specials! I love Masaaki Yuasa! Now I'm just laughing that you brought that up next as something you despise. Ah man...ahahahahaha. That's great.

Kill la Kill - 1

p2N8viH.jpg

Why are we even talking about anything else right now? I can't believe this is real. How did this get made? How is this possible...

I get to watch this every week?!? How can I possibly try to watch Beyond the Boundary after this??? That bar is set so high it's in space

CorvoSol

Mara mara~

Ryouga-sensei is so damn GAR.

This is the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me.

I have to pay my lip service.

tumblr_moelx7RIvN1qbvovho2_500.gif

Awful art? Yeah, sure, man.

As someone still currently watching the show, I feel that one of the two following statements presently holds most true in my head:

-The Rotoscoping improves over the course of the show, so that the later episodes do look better than the first.

-The Rotoscoping grows on you over the course of the show, so that the initial shock of how different it looks from conventional anime is forgotten over time.

Kill la Kill discussion is tearing AnimeGAF apart. Especially when it somehow gets spun off into Flowers of Evil discussion.

What I learned today is nobody wants to talk Flowers of Evil with you unless you insult it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
-The Rotoscoping improves over the course of the show, so that the later episodes do look better than the first.

-The Rotoscoping grows on you over the course of the show, so that the initial shock of how different it looks from conventional anime is forgotten over time.

Rotoscoping is the future of anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom