• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half way through the work day. Why am I not home playing Sen no Kiseki and watching Kill la Kill.

This world is rotten.

Where are the question marks.

IS2 1

ibx2xh7ihb7WRO.png

Quasar

Kill La Kill is going to be like Valvrave, even if people hate it they're going to have to watch every week or they won't be able to discuss as those series I imagine will dominate discussion every week.

Meh. I dropped Attack on Titan after two episodes. There was more than enough other things for me to talk/care about. Ditto this season it seems. If anything I'll be watching more this season than last.

Defuser

Kill la Kill ep 1
The first half was too fast paced with so much infomation crammed and little transition used but the latter half was stable with fuck awesome action and zomg sexy fanservice of ryuuko which I like. Comedy was flat though, will continue watching.

I think the bloodthirsty nature of the suit is going to lead to further tragedy for her, whether it had anything to do with her father or not.

Oh tragedy is coming for sure but it'd be weird if they didn't have the suit connected to the incident in some way. It was found below their former residence and implied scene of the murder after all.

zeroshiki

I thought MF wanted nothing to do with the little shit who wrote Infinite Stratos anymore? Goddamit. This is proof that there is no god.

CorvoSol

Only cuz you're not watching the utena lagann show of the season.

Utena Lagann is the show of the year just by virtue of being Utena Lagann.

POINT OF ORDER:

Kill la Kill had no flowers, much less a rose!

Not YET. There was a duel to save a girl from the jerkass leader of the athletic fighting club that involved our heroine wearing an upgraded school uniform. There's an obsessive and violent student council, too. Obviously this isn't a 1:1 deal here, but the Wakaba x Utena relationship was there, and if we can squeeze an Akio and Touga out of this, I'll be proven right about Tengen Kakumei Utena Lagann yet.

the return of infinite stratos is proof of there being no god

Pretty sure that's Victory Gundam. That or it is proof that the God of Mecha hates me a whole, whole lot.

Golden Time 1

I went into this show knowing nothing about it and I enjoyed it quite a lot. The biggest thing on my mind right now is how the seemingly main girl is head over heels in love with the MC's new friend -- and they're childhood friends and it's not like they're related nor is there any sort of age gap. Is he going to try and cuckhold? So I have little clue what sort of actions will play out. The character designs are good too. Definitely will be sticking to this show.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not YET. There was a duel to save a girl from the jerkass leader of the athletic fighting club that involved our heroine wearing an upgraded school uniform. There's an obsessive and violent student council, too. Obviously this isn't a 1:1 deal here, but the Wakaba x Utena relationship was there, and if we can squeeze an Akio and Touga out of this, I'll be proven right about Tengen Kakumei Utena Lagann yet.
Haha, no, I agree there are a lot of similarities, but lack of flowers hurts the show. Severely.

Bottom of this page is when it starts to air on Toonami if you want to read peoples reactions to it as it aired live in the US
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654935&page=121

And here is my infamous rant on Kickheart
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=79426625&postcount=6661

Well, here's the thing. That's not a budget problem, that's Yuasa's style. His anime are extremely sketchy and rough-looking on purpose. I've come to realize a lot of people like their animation ultra beautiful and polished, and rough styles just get extreme reactions such as yours.

I really appreciated Kick-Heart as a showcase of Yuasa's style, but I get the trouble people have with it. I personally loved it, Tatami Galaxy, and Kemonozume, but Kemonozume at least would turn you right off with how bizarre and nasty it can be. I love it. It's expressive.

And I saw someone in that topic say Dead Leaves was bad, so....I mean plot-wise it sucks, but it's fun to watch.

Tatami Galaxy might be all right with you, but it's more experimental in plot than in animation. Although it does make sense by the end of it all.

I'd love to discuss the plot of Aku no Hana in more detail, and hear more impressions on that aspect, though.

Shergal

Kill la Kill 1
Late to the party I guess, but this episode was Sushio as fuck. Just look at this:
It's delicious.

It was easy to tell from the PV, but they're going for something that blends old-school anime aesthetics with Imaishi's particular brand of manic, all within the framework of a straight parody to battle shounen of old, which we already knew from the concept being inspired by such a manga.
You get references to his favourites like Gamba no Bouken or Ashita no Joe, Dezaki postcards, hand-crafted backgrounds and lighting, all meshing together with Kanada-inspired movement turned up to eleven, as usual for this director. The amount of backgrounds moving when they threw people around and stuff was pretty pumping, the bland OST not so much.

I'm criminally underwatched when it comes to all the stuff the show draws from, so it's not hooking me in as much as it could. I think DiGiKeRoT said your reaction will depend a bit on what you bring with you, and it seems a sensible claim. Gurren Lagann was pretty much like this too, but it seems to be at the foreground of the aesthetics in Kill la Kill's, carrying over to the story seamlessly.

re: FLCL comparisons. I don't see it, and those comments misled me into looking for something more nuanced, with better music, a sense of flow and tightness. In other words, something better :p

re: storyline. I'm not worried; Nakashima writes plays, he has structure and dramatic beats down as evidenced by Gurren Lagann; and I didn't think the episode was too fast either. It's trying to grab you with its large-scale presentation and the showiness of the animation, all while roughly establishing a set of characters and dynamics very strongly and overtly, just like TTGL (it has the same FIGHT ZA POWAH thematic as well). You're supposed to be placed somewhere, with some characters, and be blown away by sheer spectacle. It works for me, partly because the animation was so good, partly because the directing is competent and lets it breathe.

santeesioux

Golden Time 1

Incredibly generic MC, and as people have said it still feels like a high school show with the clubs, but it wasn't bad and i think it got me to watch at least the next few episodes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm giving KLK another chance tomorrow because I'm pretty sure that I wasn't in the appropriate mindset for it today. It was the weirdest disconnect where I know that this stuff is directly up my alley and yet I felt nothing, so it deserves a re-evaluation.

Jarmel

Banned
I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. In fact, they even draw attention to how ridiculous it is via the dialogue.

Just because you're aware of the problem, doesn't excuse you from it in the first place. So many fictional works like to highlight how ridiculous something is but you still get it in the work.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm giving KLK another chance tomorrow because I'm pretty sure that I wasn't in the appropriate mindset for it today. It was the weirdest disconnect where I know that this stuff is directly up my alley and yet I felt nothing, so it deserves a re-evaluation.
Don't force it though. Sometimes things just don't work out!

I've learned this the hard way over multiple lessons. Tenchi OVA3 was one of them.

Where everyone is having a fit over the costume for some reason...

I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. In fact, they even draw attention to how ridiculous it is via the dialogue.

Lots of anime have been doing this a lot lately, using self-awareness as their excuse for doing stupid shit. And I have to ask, why do it if you know it's stupid?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
you could always just wait until next week, watch more, then go back if you think it's cool.

Jarmel

Banned
Lots of anime have been doing this a lot lately, using self-awareness as their excuse for doing stupid shit. And I have to ask, why do it if you know it's stupid?

It's not only anime that does it. That said it blows my mind in general when characters in the show point out how stupid something is yet the author does it anyway. Like what the fuck goes through your mind when you realize it's asinine yet you still throw it into your story?

Jarmel

Banned
I'll give you an even worse example in the Kyoukai no Kanata novels:

The main character's mother is a cat girl fetishist. She wears cat ears and shows her boobs off to her son. He's rightfully embarrassed beyond all fuck. Why the hell would you put that in your story when it you know it's embarrassing and stupid? I can understand if you didn't know better but judging by the character's response, you do.

And all I can think about is this character: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/317/b/8/ass_bump_gif_by_bluestormillusion-d5kyfja.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My my, I didn't think those were the sort of scissors you all were referring to.

KlK is about a girl with half a scissor looking for another girl with the other half of the scissor in order to make her scissoring complete.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
infinite stratos 2 01
the only thing i remember about infinite stratos is an overwhelming sense of regret. this did a good job of immediately refreshing that sensation.

Saint Seiya Omega 73
tumblr_mu2o8wJxEX1qf1nmxo2_250.gif
tumblr_mu2o8wJxEX1qf1nmxo1_250.gif

As a Subaru fan :/ Anyway incredible episode
Pleiades Impact is one of the best attacks in the series
. Not much else to say though beyond just the final minute
Sky Cloth Shou sounds amazing

how can you make such a great laughing subaru gif and say this was incredible episode ?

The green guy was a no name warrior and he was laughing his ass off at how mathetic subaru was during this episode.
30 secs of good don't magically erase 10 mins of bad.

Dresden

I'll give you an even worse example in the Kyoukai no Kanata novels:

The main character's mother is a cat girl fetishist. She wears cat ears and shows her boobs off to her son. He's rightfully embarrassed beyond all fuck. Why the hell would you put that in your story when it you know it's embarrassing and stupid? I can understand if you didn't know better but judging by the character's response, you do.

And all I can think about is this character: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/317/b/8/ass_bump_gif_by_bluestormillusion-d5kyfja.gif

Are you really surprised? They got books to sell, even if they know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom