• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Welp, the only solution is for all of us to learn Japanese.

Let's do it.

But yeah, this is an interesting question. I mean, with the KLK ones I think it's fairly obvious the Aniplex translation is iffy because that one line in the lemon scene is just bizarre, but KnK seems more... mysteeerious.

Articalys

To me, it looks like CR definitely botched the translation on the lunchroom scene, but the other two are more ambiguous. Really do need someone fluent to listen to the scenes in question and offer their input.

Pooya

for the bucket scene, pretty sure she said 'Baketsu o koroshita'' I killed the bucket!', the only thing I remember from yesterday because it was funny, it's supposed to be funny I think, seeing how she's so sensitive to objects but doesn't care about hurting the boy.

That fan translation is VERY liberal if you ask me.

yami4ct

Isnt yami already changing it with all the s2 materials?

Yeah, we're keeping the same VVV OT. My current plan is to remake the OP to accurately reflect the characters and maybe add some S2 key visuals and trailer links. Next week is an exam week for me, so can't guarantee it'll be ready for Thursday, but I'm going to try my best.

Midonin

I remember watching the first season of IS at The Anime Network. It was one of the few shows offered in its entirety without having to pay the subscription. The translations will probably be pretty similar to that.

Narag

Having no interest in the bucket show, phrasing makes it look like an idiomatic choice for the sake of characterization.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anime-GAF, did I ever tell you that I love you?

Here is a gift

UTmWjO5.gif

Jex

[Kill la Kill]

One thing I don't get about this first episode is the comparisons people make between it and Utena. Tonally, stylistically, symbolically and visually it's a very different work. Yes, there are students who fight each other in a very exaggerated highschool and you have an all-powerful student council but those have been tropes of many other titles.

The clearest inspirations are from Go Nagai, namely Cutie Honey which features the same perverse sense of humor, exaggerated comedy and basic set up - Spoilers for Cutie Honey and Kill la Kill:
Both characters have a parental figure murdered brutally by an unknown assailant and both receive a special method to help them deal with bad guys. Both characters need to find out the truth about their parent figures deaths.
. Go Nagai has also produced a work with an inappropriately dressed female character battling evil at a ridiculous highschool (and bailing her friend out from trouble) - Kekko Kamen.

Moreover, the concept of battling at a highschool is not particularly uncommon especially when you have 4 sub bosses and once main boss to fight which is the classic formula for such things. Sukeban Deka covered this very crowd and all Saki had to work with was a god damn yo-yo.

I just don't see a direct or strong Utena influence.

cajunator

Banned
Happy birthday!
May your garden stay pure and clean for eons to come!

egPLjs1.gif

Oh that's fine, but I think the awesome-quotient is gonna stay high. There's something about the style I just love, and I can't really say why, other than that it fuels a lot of endorphins into my brain when I watch it.

So good.
I do think youre right AWESOMEBEAR. It should remain at a high level of badassery.

That is certainly clear although I guess that just digs a little bit deeper towards the same general idea. Why has Kill la Kill been so hyped? I mean, the designs have been cool and it's by Trigger and Imaishi but the last thing Imaishi did was Panty and Stocking which really didn't rock that many people's worlds. In fact, I'd say it was rather weak. Do people just remember Gurren Lagann and forget the rest?

Its hyped because LWA was so damned good for a short and Trigger has a lot of talent and a good Gainax feel to it.

Infinite Stratos 2 01

I already regret starting this.
Chifuu-ne corruption arc? Hell no! Or is that a clone or some shit.
But yeah still incredibly dumb and the MC is still just as stab-able. The girls should just go :SDburton each other like we saw this episode!
The blatant OVA advertisement at the end was weird as hell and could have easily been avoided but I suppose they needed filler.

The MC is INCREDIBLY dense. Its pretty awe inspiring how stupid he actually is.

Narag

I didn't once think about Utena watching it and I'm really bad about shows reminding me about other shows. I stand by my Hells comparison though!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kevin Sorbo.

Anime-GAF, did I ever tell you that I love you?

Here is a gift

http://i.imgur.com/UTmWjO5.gif
moe.

"Ichika, you're nasty." I did look it up for the good of us all.
:(

IS has it locked up after the cat pajama scene. I have the combined voting power of cajun and firehawk behind me!!
I'd rather IS win than AoT!

Do they know they're tampering with tradition and history?
IS is the most important anime of the year and must be treated with respect!

Whoever has the film rights abroad seems so terrified of letting people actually see it in theaters that I almost can't blame other people anymore.

Almost.

I don't think that's entirely fair. I can't speak for other countries, but here in the US GKids has the rights, and they just don't have the kind of distribution network that would be needed to give Wolf Children any sort of substantial release. Which is a shame.

Quasar

The MC is INCREDIBLY dense. Its pretty awe inspiring how stupid he actually is.

It is god tier obliviousness given s1, but I have some sympathy given I can suffer from it too.

That said its just the stupid normal way to avoid writing the MC choosing that they all use. Makes me think of US TV and what they do to avoid the Moonlighting fate.

[Kill la Kill]

One thing I don't get about this first episode is the comparisons people make between it and Utena. Tonally, stylistically, symbolically and visually it's a very different work. Yes, there are students who fight each other in a very exaggerated highschool and you have an all-powerful student council but those have been tropes of many other titles.

I just don't see a direct or strong Utena influence.

It is literally the only reason why they mentioned it.

I need to put these people on a list so I can tell who's attempting to sell me on lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom