• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Huh, there was another part of the Toradora LN I didn't read that's way different from how the anime handled things:

Taiga peaces out on Ryuji the morning after their kiss in the LN, while they're still at his grandparents, instead of going back home with him first, and then leaving.

Also after Ryuji and the others all discover where Taiga has gone, they all break down and cry together. Ryuji, Kitamura, Minori, and even Ami. Wish the anime would have incorporated that.

/XX/

Yes, but to its advantage. The camera moves like it is an anime camera and not something tethered to... well, gravity. lol

Incidentally, Del Toro is thanked in the credits. lol
Del Toro, Cuarón & González-Iñárritu have actually been best friends for a long time (Santiago Segura would be another one, pal or 'amiguete', of them as evidenced for example by his recent cameo at Pacific Rim). The three collaborated as producers on the excellent movie about confronted football passions Rudo y Cursi (now, THAT is a work with heavy clashing tones, and recommended). But no further projects for them to work together has been announced since then.

harSon

Banned
Del Toro, Cuarón & González-Iñárritu are actually best friends since a long time (Santiago Segura would be another one, 'amiguete', of the three as evidenced by his recent cameo at Pacific Rim). The three collaborated as producers on the excellent movie about confronted football passions Rudo y Cursi (now, THAT is a work with heavy clashing tones, and recommended). But no further projects announced all together since then.

I actually took a class that surveyed their films, relationship to one another and that specific area of Mexican film in college haha. Was pretty interesting.

There is one big difference and i say that as someone who loved this anime prettty cure managed to stay up for a long time and even for us english speakers we had a decent flow of subs available ... but futago hime took way too much time to be translated.
You're right, it did. I do wonder why so little in the way of subbing effort went toward this anime.

Perhaps it is because it aired back in 2005, a time period when was starting to grow a lot as a fan-hobby, but still not nearly as big as it is today? I do certainly wish the anime got better fansub support.

Speaking of clashing tones, I'm watching Code:Breaker at the minute and noticed the show makes effective use of that occasionally. There are some pretty silly gags amidst the dark material of the rest of the show, like
Yuki's lost form being a cute dog that retains the ability to speak, and Toki's lost form being regression into the body of a child.
This is in contrast to the first example you see which is
Ogami, who just seems to be in physical pain and in need of rest.
That type of thing could probably be interpreted as out of place, but I found it effective at relieving the tension and made better by nature of it being a surprise.

--------

Galilei Donna is right up my alley. Pleaaaaase don't disappoint.

Yeah that tagline tittle my interest ..
R_thanatos approved.

You're right, it did. I do wonder why so little in the way of subbing effort went toward this anime.

Perhaps it is because it aired back in 2005, a time period when was starting to grow a lot as a fan-hobby, but still not nearly as big as it is today? I do certainly wish the anime got better fansub support.

At the time it took them more than 3 years to do the first 51 episodes. and i'm not even sure if the second season is done . there were months between releases at times. no wonder people didn't care ... MOst(99.9%) weren't aware that the show existed.

It's a great shame and even precure had moments like that ( The first 3 seasons weren't available for a long time ) and it really picked up when fresh started and then all of the sudden the precure trend got in ( solidified by heartcatch )
Trully the real différences between the 2 franchises are :
-Their focus
-The time they got to get enough fans.

fertygo

There's going to be a Kyoto Animation fan appreciation day in Kyoto on 11/30.

The sponsors are apparently Pony Canyon, Lantis, TBS, Asahi and Quaras. The yaraon dude thinks its interesting that Kadokawa isn't involved in any of this :(

No Hyouka and Haruhi anymore :(

cnet128

Banned
Fushigi Boshi no Futago Hime is one of the most adorable animes in the world. I have witnessed it. Princess Lione is probably one of the cutest characters ever made.
And then you have the two main girls
kiSvl6L.gif

Oh my god this looks ridiculously cute, if I didn't already have a giant backlog of 50-episode anime for little girls you can bet I would be checking it out right now.

You had me at "threesome of cute girls".

cajunator

Banned
Oh my god this looks ridiculously cute, if I didn't already have a giant backlog of 50-episode anime for little girls you can bet I would be checking it out right now.

You had me at "threesome of cute girls".

Its moenuke levels of cute. You'd probably like it.

At the time it took them more than 3 years to do the first 51 episodes. and i'm not even sure if the second season is done . there were months between releases at times. no wonder people didn't care ... MOst(99.9%) weren't aware that the show existed.
Yeah, the slowness of fansubbing definitely hurt interest in it. Don't know why more people weren't interested in subbing them, but I wish they were.

I ended up giving up waiting very quickly and just started watching episodes RAW.
Lucky, the show isn't plot intensive enough that you can't afford to miss something said the first time. And a lot of things are communicated through tone and body language.

I wouldn't play a Tales game in Japanese only just because the games are all about plot and it would spoil the experience just to even miss one sentence in Japanese. Knowing what's going on is key to the experience.

But with Fushigiboshi no Futagohime, I didn't feel like I was missing out to watch things RAW. And, after couple times watching, I figured out what they said just out of my rudimentary understanding of the Japanese language, and context. There's a lot of Japanese words I know, but would miss if I weren't to pay close attention. And I noticed that after about 3 times watching, I basically know what they said even though I don't have subs.

-Their focus
-The time they got to get enough fans.
Magical girl shows don't quite seem to get enough subbers in general.
It's a bit strange how it's such a noticeable genre that people instantly identify it with anime. Even people who aren't familiar with anime have often heard of the magical girl genre.

But the actual magical girl shows aren't that frequent nowadays. One of the most recent high profile examples in the genre was a dark and gritty take, Madoka Magica. And it wasn't intended for traditional Magical Girl fans all that much at all. A lot of traditional magical girl shows struggle to get subs. Even as many quite generic harem anime tons of subs.

I wish the same attention could be lavished on magical girl anime. And in fact, I wish there were more being made.

/XX/

I actually took a class that surveyed their films, relationship to one another and that specific area of Mexican film in college haha. Was pretty interesting.
Cool. Did you have the opportunity of seeing Y Tu Mamá También at that class? I find funny how, even though Maribel Verdú has always been a well loved actress here in Spain, what ended being one of the most celebrated roles of her on foreign land was a Mexican film, and, at that, not one nearly as mentioned around these parts as other acting roles she made here.

Seems that actors have to go abroad for ourselves to actually see them with other, more benevolent, eyes... sometimes. It happened the same with someone like Carmen Maura too, who at times was much more valued as a professional in places like France than in here.

Anyway, she was immense in Y Tu Mamá También, and García Bernal too (he also did my favorite El Ché interpretation on The Motorcycle Diaries, for its sheer brilliance and not just brute forcing it with a stiff samey-looks like others did... sorry Benicio).

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, the slowness of fansubbing definitely hurt interest in it. Don't know why more people weren't interested in subbing them, but I wish they were.

I ended up giving up waiting very quickly and just started watching episodes RAW.
Lucky, the show isn't plot intensive enough that you can't afford to miss something said the first time. And a lot of things are communicated through tone and body language.

I wouldn't play a Tales game in Japanese only just because the games are all about plot and it would spoil the experience just to even miss one sentence in Japanese. Knowing what's going on is key to the experience.

But with Fushigiboshi no Futagohime, I didn't feel like I was missing out to watch things RAW. And, after couple times watching, I figured out what they said just out of my rudimentary understanding of the Japanese language, and context. There's a lot of Japanese words I know, but would miss if I weren't to pay close attention. And I noticed that after about 3 times watching, I basically know what they said even though I don't have subs.

Magical girl shows don't quite seem to get enough subbers in general.
It's a bit strange how it's such a noticeable genre that people instantly identify it with anime. Even people who aren't familiar with anime have often heard of the magical girl genre.

But the actual magical girl shows aren't that frequent nowadays. One of the most recent high profile examples in the genre was a dark and gritty take, Madoka Magica. And it wasn't intended for traditional Magical Girl fans all that much at all. A lot of traditional magical girl shows struggle to get subs. Even as many quite generic harem anime tons of subs.

I wish the same attention could be lavished on magical girl anime. And in fact, I wish there were more being made.

Well there have been a few recently.

Daybreak Illusion, Prisma Illya, and Fantasista Dolls.

Silky

Banned
Assuming this is an anime focused on a younger audience, it's tame enough as far as MMO-based anime goes. It's enjoyable and, compared to SAO where it's theme was Romance/Survival, Log Horizon seems to be more focused on the idea of discovery/friendship. Story's good enough, characters are likable enough. Real basic stuff that pretty much anyone can keep up with.

Not anything to write home about, but I'm interested to see where this leads. Tamer than SAO's opening, but it does have a lot of possibilities if they keep the discovery route up.

Also, the current trio is probably going to be the best dialogue the show gets.

--

Time to continue The Flowers of Evil.

cajunator

Banned
I keep meaning to watch that. People keep recommending me that. And for good reason, it looks perfectly up my alley.

Definitely one of the recent anime most looking to my tastes. I can't believe I haven't watched it yet.

Its alright. It tried way too hard to be Madoka Magica. In as many ways as possible.

You would enjoy Prisma Illya and Fantasista Dolls much more.

Midonin

I consider Symphogear to be something of a magical girl series, though it borrows elements from a few other genres. Stuff like Vividred Operation also counts.

Little Busters! Refrain Episode 1
tumblr_mu7alwvaI41qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mu7alwvaI41qbxqfpo2_500.png

Everyones back and it feels all happy again. Pancake party was hilarious and Kengo feels much better than last season. Also Riki Kyosuke moments are quite strong. Curious how that plot will play out
with the opening moment of Kyosuke dreaming of Riki and then the ending thing with the rain in the room. I hope it wont be super tragic as I just cant imagine Kyosuke in any more or even type of pains Riki too with his narcolepsy still

ED song is fantastic.

cajunator

Banned
I consider Symphogear to be something of a magical girl series, though it borrows elements from a few other genres. Stuff like Vividred Operation also counts.

Yeah I would call vivdred Operation a quasi magical girl series. Its more technological than magical, although perhaps still kind of magic. Its more like Nanoha I guess.

Its alright. It tried way too hard to be Madoka Magica. In as many ways as possible.

You would enjoy Prisma Illya and Fantasista Dolls much more.
Oh, well, that's disappointing to hear. It definitely looked interesting.

Prisma Illya definitely sounds like an amusing Type-Moon spinoff type product. Though I wonder how good it is on its own merits.

Midonin

You can still watch it for yourself and see. It's got a few interesting ideas going for it.

Yeah I would call vivdred Operation a quasi magical girl series. Its more technological than magical, although perhaps still kind of magic. Its more like Nanoha I guess.
For me, magical girls don't have to be strictly magical, just function in the story as magic enough.

cajunator

Banned

Prisma Illya definitely sounds like an interesting Type-Moon spinoff type product. Though I wonder how good it is on its own merits.

Prisma Illya is pretty traditional as far as mahou shoujo, but its very very cute too.
Daybreak just tries way too hard to be dark and gritty and shocking.
Fantasista dolls is just damned cute.

Fantasista doll is probably the worst of the three shows, the only thing it did well was cute girls which if that's all you want then go ahead.

Log Horizon 1
The characters seem fun. It seems a lot less serious than SAO.Very enjoyable
Outbreak Company 1
Seems to be a fun show. These blatent pervert characters always lead to a fun show especially when magic is in the mix.

Nafe

I thought I was free of that show ages ago. Why? WHY?

Heh, heh, heh.

Nah, AKB I watched week to week, but the other two I watched right as they finished.

Ah, okay. That must have been interesting trying to avoid spoilers for Madoka then, especially with some in AnimeGaf not being able to hide them very well.

I'm watching IS like AKB, where it's just fun to laugh at a shows silliness sometimes.

FFFFFF, I will catch up to this thread one day.

Well timezones being timezones but Happy Birthday SDBurton.

Yeah, this thread certainly found the gas pedal again.

Narag

Good avatar, Nafe.

Ah, okay. That must have been interesting trying to avoid spoilers for Madoka then, especially with some in AnimeGaf not being able to hide them very well.

The wink wink, nudge nudge stuff is the worst in this regard.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I wish I could find Pokemon: The Origin not subbed by a fucking weeaboo. I mean COME ON. Pokemon Zukan? Tamamushi City? Rocket Dan? We've had names for these things for like, longer than you've been alive, you goldurn weeb.

uggghhhhhhh omg the same for me, the first 2 epsidoes were exactly what they were suppose to be, nd then 3 and 4 were finally subbed and they were weaboo subbed, completely ruined my nostalgia run and I pretty much refuse to watch until I can find the subs like 1 and 2 again.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Good God firehawk was right. Gravity is the real deal. So good. Blown away.
you know what else is the real deal? boardwalk empire this season. i hope you're still watching.
Bebop 2 is weaker than I remember. But it introduces Ein and it has a pretty amusing set of chase scenes, so it's okay by me.

One of my non-anime friends was forced to watch it by his girlfriend, and he said that while he enjoyed it he kind of felt like maybe the episodes didn't have enough time to them. In lieu of an (immediately apparent) overarching storyline, I think I kinda get what he was saying now. Bebop does trade a lot more on execution and style than on true, weighty substance to the story, at least in an episodic sense - there's not a lot to Abdul Hakim other than "dude wants this dog and is a jerk", after all - but man. Execution really goes a long way in anime.
It's one of the weakest episodes in the entire series. Even if there isn't a lot of substance to a number of the stories, Bebop tends to pack this sensation of regret into an episode that allows you to empathize with one-off characters. Some episodes do this better than others (because they usually focus on copying noir stuff).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Strike in the Blood - 01
It's ok I guess, apparently the main character is as strong as a entire army but doesnt know it yet, I wonder if he has this all at the beginning or if he somehow has to get to that point.

InuYasha 55

A rare Shippo episode, was actually pretty enjoyable despite Shippo being the weakest cast member. Had some legit funny moments between the male characters and Shippo got to show off the strength of his illusion magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom