• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that Arakawa bomba. I picked up the bundle last year and it was like twice that price.

I imagine it's whatever's stock from last year that no one bought (like me). >_>

You're on the home stretch, just three weeks and you will never have to worry about Gen 5 ever again outside of Pokemon Adventures, where the pokemon are dangerous and N is the creepy sociopath that he should be.

Frankly though, Iris is a right sod and if we never saw her again it'd be too soon.

That said, has CN Said if they're going stright to XY or if they're taking a break after the end of BW2?

I imagine they'll go straight into X/Y, mostly to keep up the momentum of new stuff.

I imagine the dubbing company is on a good rhythm pumping these out and it would be pretty bad to delay X/Y any longer.

cajunator

Banned
Well it's one day late (due to a random Dota 2 craze that hit me) but my Fate/Zero review is in.

Fate/Zero - Series Review

This series is unique to me in that I took a multiple-month break from it right before the second half of the show due to getting hooked on Attack on Titan then moving on to other animes, completely forgetting about this anime.

When coming into Fate/Zero let me say that I have no exposure to the Fate/Stay Night anime (aside from watching the OPs) but I have played 2/3 of the VN (haven't completed Heaven's Feel) and it was fairly enjoyable for the most part.

So Fate/Zero takes place before Fate/Stay Night as the predecessor focusing on the previous Holy Grail War which sets up the scene for the one present in Fate/Stay Night. First thing, production quality is amazing (I would say to that present in anime films) and is prominent in action sequences which is alot in this show.

Music is also good and I know I said I preferred the first OP to the second. After listening more/finishing the series I have to revise my opinion to saying the second OP is superior as it just fits the theme of the anime more, this is not to say the first OP is bad. In addition the heavy orchestral/choir tracks played during action sequences were used to its full potential only adding to the 'epic' feel of the show. And yes I would describe the show as 'epic' for that is what it is, an epic.

As for the actual plot and story, the anime is so good because of its well-written characters. All characters have a motivation in participating in the Holy Grail War, one that is easy to understand for a viewer, even for the villains. As each character was
killed off, the premise of this series is essentially a battle-royale,
it was thanks to these characters that the tension rose as the anime steadily reached it climax.

The anime is also great because it is essentially 'mature'. There is literally no fan-service (panty shots, nudes, etc.) for the entire series save one scene with
Gilgamesh at the end
but is fairly debatable giving the context of the scene. All the characters are adults with the youngest being college-age. In addition to the atmosphere this mature aspect was also expanded to the themes introduced dealing with the death/end of honor, naivety of hope, and the sacrifice a few to save the many.

As for its ending, this was the series' weakest point. The ending itself wasn't bad in its own right but it paled to the rest of the series, a build-up to something awesome but then you end with just decent. This is due to trying to connect with its successor Fate/Stay Night, which it did. In summary, the show itself is great but it still had its half-retarded brother to look after.

Now for Kiritsugu, because its fucking Kiritsugu. Kiritsugu
has to be the most badass character I have encountered so far in the animes I have watched. The two episodes dedicated to build his character greatly helped in the final episodes when contrasted to Saber who has a conflicting philosophy. This guy is the batman of anime.

In conclusion I put Fate/Zero as an excellent anime. Amazing production quality, addictive action sequences, well-written character, and in-depth plot that will make the viewer think. All around a mature anime to which I can dub as 'mature' without hesitation.

Fate Zero is really good so dont ruin the vibe by watching FSN.

Ohhh, I just noticed that they were the BD or DVD only versions. lol

Hmm. I have the combination sets DVD/bluray. I didnt know there were standalones!

cnet128

Banned
Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 7

ic9powkf05JWY.PNG

:SDBurton?
that is the first and last time I try to stitch together frames of video

So, hang on, we have two characters this season who are named 撫子 (Nadeko/Nadeshiko) and voiced by HanaKana? I mean, I'm not complaining, but, uh…I hope this one doesn't go down the same path that other one did. =p

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 7

Musashi never wins. Dude learned to ride a motorcycle and play the trumpet in one day for Michiru. He saved her ass, and the asses of the rest of the gang in this same day. And when all is said and done, still not an ounce of respect. Least of all from Douchelord Hayato.

Also now is a good time to point out that Michiru's flight suit has brass nipples on it. That's a thing.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 28-

Oh man. This fucker became an alcoholic too. Holy shit.

Then there is Hikaru still fucking pining after Minmay. Let it the fuck go.

cajunator

Banned
Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 7

So, hang on, we have two characters this season who are named 撫子 (Nadeko/Nadeshiko) and voiced by HanaKana? I mean, I'm not complaining, but, uh…I hope this one doesn't go down the same path that other one did. =p

10/10 would hug

Theonik

Hyouka 20
ib0dKZDffCUGKM.gif

Precursor to Free #2
Lots of awesome shots of Chitanda's exposed
neck
and a yukata? What have I done to deserve this.
Also another OxC focused episode this time in a closed space situation. Happening intensifying etc.
Some actually cute Mayaka too! And another classmate we don't really care about. Yoooooshi.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 20

Lots of awesome shots of Chitanda's exposed
neck
and a yukata? What have I done to deserve this.
Also another OxC focused episode this time in a closed space situation. Happening intensifying etc. Some actually cute Mayaka too! And another classmate we don't really care about. Yoooooshi.

Chitanda in a yukata is one of the highlights of Hyouka. Mayaka is one of the lowlights.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 29-

I want to shove a bottle down this fucker's throat then karate chop his neck so hard that the bottle shatters. Worst part is that I'm gonna have to hear more of his self righteous hypocritical shit spewing out of a hole he calls a mouth.

Clearly Satoshi was one of the low points!

And I concede to Heartcatch's final arc being the worst. Was just difficult because seeing the word worst usually means it ranges from awful-crime against humanity.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Walkure Romance - 05

rPeP6SM.png
DxbJHqi.png

GSx7q87.png
Ne7gG8I.png

Poor Akane. :lol

I'm planning on checking out the VN of this to see if Akane's crush on Celia is covered there as well.
Pleeeeeeeease let it be so! I want some purity!

CorvoSol

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross 7

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Whoever the Hell that is. Man, Lt. Hayase is a jerk. Hikaru comes dashing in to save her butt and she's all "No, waaaah, I don't wanna!" Also Minmay invited Hikaru's ENTIRE squadron to her birthday party. "Party". Yeaaaaaaaaah.

Macross is almost back to Earth now. I wonder what will happen when they get there?

Diabolik Lovers Episode 9
tumblr_mwhf2bY0bU1rbjjuao7_500.png
tumblr_mwhf2bY0bU1rbjjuao2_500.png

Can a character named Shu ever be a bad one? Seems impossible. He had a good starting moment there for the long time sucking, just enjoyed the smile and commentary with music, why so lucky...but then
must say Pancake finally awakening was as refreshing as when hime in Hiiro no Kakera took the entire season to awaken...it was just really exciting and intense and here with Cordelia then doing that head turn and laughing all crazily. Definitely a key moment. I wonder if Pancake can pull through or if Cordelia will stick around, the guys will really need to do something or else, revenge maybe sought. I wonder. How is this still an otome even?!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Uhhhhh....what. Is this a hoax? I'm not familiar with Nuke the Fridge.

Exclusive: ULTRAMAN Movie in the Works, Will Smith [being sought after] to Play Him

A settled sixteen year-old lawsuit and a growing fan base has the highly popular Japanese television series “Ultraman” prepared for its big screen debut albeit with an English language flair. All that is known is a huge American A-list star will be approached to play a human who has the ability to transform into galactic spaceman Ultraman. So, who is this mysterious actor? Appearing at Nuke the Fridge Con 2013 over the weekend, legendary filmmaker Sompote Saengduenchai signed autographs for a multitude of fans to promote the release of “Ultraman Forever,” a giant 230 plus page book which celebrates the 50th anniversary of “Ultraman” and the Japanese/American crossover film “King Kong vs. Godzilla.” A source inside Sompote’s entourage indicated that the action/sci-fi feature film would be done in the style of Guillermo del Toro’s international monsters vs. giant robots’ hit “Pacific Rim.” Word has it that “I Am Legend” alum Will Smith is being sought for the role as the symbiotically coupled human/Ultraman team.

Smith is no stranger to science fiction having appeared in “Independence Day,” “After Earth” and the “Men in Black” franchise.

UPDATE: They are hoping for a release date for the film by 2016 according to Saengduenchai.

Yay? Nay?

http://nukethefridge.com/2013/11/17/ultraman-movie-will-smith/

Can someone who has seen the final Madoka movie tell me if there's any more mature content than the original series? I watched it with my younger sister and that was probably toeing the line to begin with, but now she's asking me if we can watch the movie together. I also don't want to show it to her if the ending is ultimately hopeless. As dark as Madoka was, the finale was full of hope and that's what she took away from it. I don't want to make her sad.

cnet128

Banned
Non Non Biyori 7

Renchon you are the best. I want you to be in a fighting game and use Fifty Fifty Eggs as your primary weapon. I don't know why the Fifty Fifty Eggs were so hilarious, but they absolutely were. I think this is Renchon Power.

Also my god that was one evil bunny. This is not a spoiler, because even if you know the bunny is evil, its level of evil must be seen to be believed.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rinko best MILF and girl of the season, but that gundam is hot.

Mein gott!

Fuck it. Watching Gundam Build Fighters after I get caught up on Walkure Romance.

I am convinced there will be a good amount of doujins of her at Comiket.

One day I'll manage to watch the worse of tripe to get to 5 minutes of potential yuri ships. But it is not today!

I'll be waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom