• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

When Non Non Biyori ends, I don't think I'll survive mondays.

Any more cute girls doing cute things animes I should add to my backlog to watch once Non Non Biyori is over?

Any more cute girls doing cute things animes I should add to my backlog to watch once Non Non Biyori is over?

What have you watched so I can adjust to your needs?

...and I think Smile Precure counts, but I'll hesitate on being serious with that one.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Samurai Flamenco Episode 2:

I really hope the things that I have heard are true because this episode was a good reminder of why I dropped this show. Just a terrible, terrible episode.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Yuru Yuri
Yuyushiki
Hidamari Sketch
K-ON
Mitsudomoe
Nichijou
Kiniro Mosaic

============================================

Walkure Romance - 06

Not too pleased that they
had a moment with Takahiro and Celia setting up a "date" further down the line. Stop trying to ruin Akane's chances goddamit! :mad:

Now to get to that episode 7!

In my failed search on Amazon for the "Umakoshi Yoshihiko Toei Animation Works" (working on limitations here), I came across a book called "Who is Killing the Great Capes of Heropa?" by Andrew Bergen. And there's like a few pages talking about Precure... primarily Heartcatch Precure.

WELL now, that's interesting.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Walkure Romance - 07

HEK1NW4.png

Indulge to your heart's content Akane! #yolo

I really thought we were going to get something along the lines of
Akane confessing her feelings to Celia and in which Celia would respond my taking her inside the windmill. I mean, how else can you explain a screenshot with two naked girls embracing each other? Sadly that was not the case. :(
I guess I should be grateful they at least dedicated an episode focusing primarily on these two and their relationship. Will play the VN regardless as I want
to see Bertille and her sexy lace some more. #noshame

Gbraga

Wow, Golden Time 07 was all kinds of best, after episode 06 aka Banri is a jerk and
the ghost twist
I was kinda afraid of where it was going, but this episode was really good, very funny too.

2D-kun knows what's up.

Tokyo ravens - 05

So the rival thing was a big misunderstanding that can't be cleared without serious problems and the close circle of friends seems done and complete now... I'm now expecting a lot of misunderstandings now .

The cliffangers in the last episode finished in a big disapointment , but they followed by a nice fight with only a tiny amount of Cg. I do think it's the best this anime can do .i'd love to be proved wrong but ...

Well at least kon is cute.

cajunator

Banned
Wow, Golden Time 07 was all kinds of best, after episode 06 aka Banri is a jerk and
the ghost twist
I was kinda afraid of where it was going, but this episode was really good, very funny too.

2D-kun knows what's up.

Golden Time is excellent.

Articalys

Okay, now that we're about halfway through the season it might be neat to take a sec and see not where hype succeeded, but where it failed and where it missed the train in the first place.

What's your biggest disappointment/letdown show of the season so far?
Conversely, what show was a pleasant surprise and is becoming an unexpected favorite?

Gbraga

Okay, now that we're about halfway through the season it might be neat to take a sec and see not where hype succeeded, but where it failed and where it missed the train in the first place.

Conversely, what show was a pleasant surprise and is becoming an unexpected favorite?

I think the only disappointment I had this season was Coppelion, I like the setting but can't stand the anime at all, dropped it in a heartbeat, but it wasn't a big letdown or anything.

In the other hand, the biggest surprise was definitely Non Non Biyori, I just decided to watch one episode because someone was talking about it on GAF and suddenly my life changes. Best show of the season. Stealth anime of the year.

Gazoinks

Biggest disappointment: Hm. I was hoping Coppelion would grab me more, but I didn't have super high hopes, so either Samumenco or Golden Time I guess. Neither are bad, but they've both felt inconsistent and I have mixed feelings on both (they're both also improving over the last few episodes tho).
Biggest surprise: WHITE ALBUM 2. WHY IS THIS SHOW THIS GOOD. Major pleasant surprise there, one of my top 3 of the season.

OceanBlue

Mmm, I could say that my biggest disappointment was Kanata no Kyoukai, but I wasn't really expecting too much out of it. I also haven't watched more than the first episode so I can't really say for sure.

My unexpected favorite is definitely Yozakura Quartet. I picked it up on a whim because everyone was talking about panties, but it's really well produced and has panties. I'm really enjoying it. I'm also enjoying White Album 2 and Log Horizon, and I wasn't interested in either before they aired.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 4

What an amazing episode.

I thought everyone's reactions to the manga effects was hysterical and the various scenarios they came up with (along with Y's explanations) were so much fun to watch.

But I completely lost it when they both became rough sketches.

This is absolutely going down as one of my personal favorite episodes I've ever seen in anime.

Kill la Kill and BlazBlue for biggest disappointment.. Easily equivalent on the lack of exciting and interesting animation, and questionable stylistic choice. They even made a Faylan OP boring, unforgivable. KLK at least has its moments and is a great showcase of fun and hype inducing musical mastery, while BlazBlue really only watching it for a shallow reason so :(

Tokyo Ravens for an unexpected favorite, if it was a light novel in english I would be reading it easily, love Bakatora so much and its just all around great looking fun action and good plot (x-encounter ftw).

Gundam Build Fighters, Nagi no Asukara, Samumenco, and KyoKai are favorites, but not unexpected.

Let down: Though it was only one episode, I didn't particularly care about going back to Golden Time. I love Toradora so I was expecting at least a remnant of the charm any of those characters had since it was by the same author but it wasn't there and I didn't want to spend another six months with the thing. Kyoukai no Kanata is up there too.

Surprise: Log Horizon is pretty damn good when it's not doing the mediocre action stuff. Really good world building, fun characters, and it's not trying to ride the coattails of SAO like I and probably many others fear it would.

Gazoinks

My unexpected favorite is definitely Yozakura Quartet. I picked it up on a whim because everyone was talking about panties, but it's really well produced and has panties. I'm really enjoying it. I'm also enjoying White Album 2 and Log Horizon, and I wasn't interested in either before they aired.

I still need to check out Yozakura. I initially avoided it because everyone was talking about panties, but now everyone's praising it. :p

jgminto

Kill la Kill and BlazBlue for biggest disappointment.. Easily equivalent on the lack of exciting and interesting animation, and questionable stylistic choice. They even made a Faylan OP boring, unforgivable. KLK at least has its moments and is a great showcase of fun and hype inducing musical mastery, while BlazBlue really only watching it for a shallow reason so :(

Tokyo Ravens for an unexpected favorite, if it was a light novel in english I would be reading it easily, love Bakatora so much and its just all around great looking fun action and good plot (x-encounter ftw).

Gundam Build Fighters, Nagi no Asukara, and KyoKai are favorites, but not unexpected for me, I think?

lol

This is easy. Galilei Donna was the biggest gap between my positive expectations and the negative actuality; I was hoping for a light-hearted, fun adventure romp and got a rude lesson in what Umetsu is capable of (e.g., not fun).

Meanwhile, Yozakura Quartet was the biggest positive surprise. I was expecting it to have great animation, and it's delivered on that even more than I was hoping, but I wasn't expecting the likable characters or the compelling direction. I liked the Hoshi no Umi OADs, but they pale in comparison to the current TV show. Yowamushi Pedal was also a pleasant surprise that I didn't expect to be as humorous and exciting as it is.

In general, I would say aside from Kyousougiga I was pretty off about my predictions of what I would enjoy from this season, even more than usual.

Gbraga

Gundam Build Fighters, Nagi no Asukara, Samumenco, and KyoKai are favorites, but not unexpected.

Wow, great avatar. Is it from some anime or just some random art?

Tokyo Ravens and Unbreakable Machine-Doll both go down in my letdown category because I first decided to watch them primarily for some good action scenes. Unfortunately, both of them have been pretty mediocre in that department and while I do enjoy some aspects of both shows (Characters) that doesn't stop me from being disappointed in them.

Don't really have a surprise as of yet, but I do want to give a shoutout to at least the first 6 episodes of Pokemon XY.

Because while I still believe its going to turn awful just like the previous seasons I've watched, these first 6 episodes have been nothing short of entertaining.

Bombless

Total Eclipse 1-16

Predictable as hell but surprisingly watchable. The
EM Gun scene was fucking awesome.
Shame there hasn't been anything else like that so far. Also, this last episode I went "Benelux team, fuck yeah!" and of course
they get murdered in less than 10 minutes :(

Best girl is obviously Stella.

Uh, biggest letdown huh?

I guess out of the shows I still currently watched (cause all the stuff I dropped are obviously letdowns in someway), the only one I didn't know what I was getting into that let me down was Yuushibu. While there were some decent parts of it, it just hasn't really been all that interesting.

I guess Stike the Blood is another one. The plot has been getting a little convoluted at this point.

My most pleasant surprise this season will have to be Log Horizon. I mean it had one job which was be better than SAO (which isn't that hard) but completely exceed that into a pleasant watch where I actually like the world and its characters.

jgminto

If we're talking letdowns and pleasant surprises I'd say Log Horizon is my biggest letdown. Not the worst show this season but definitely the most boring. Also Galilei Donna, which is just kinda a mess as far as the story and characters go.

Gundam Build Fighters and Meganebu would be my surprises. Never been into gundam before but GBF is just straight up awesome all around. And I was just expecting Meganebu to be a standard pander show but it turned out to be a pretty hilarious comedy with a fantastic visual style. Shame more people haven't given it a shot.

Biggest letdown: Infinite Stratos, KnK. I was expecting these to at least live up to my hopes for them, but they were shit. Plain and simple.

Biggest surprise: DATABASE. DATABASE. LIVING IN THE DATABASE. DATABASE.

The Big O - 1

I legit chuckled at the suitcase flying off with all the money flying away in the opening scene.

At first I didn't get where the Batman comparisons came from. Then I saw Alfred.

I dug the music that played during the giant robot fight. That's always a good sign. Can't say the same for Valvrave. As nuts as that show is, I can't hum one memorable tune from that show other than the opening.

I always like first episodes that end with cliff hangers. Gets people hooked right away rather than 5 episodes later.

Gazoinks

The Big O - 1

I legit chuckled at the suitcase flying off with all the money flying away in the opening scene.

At first I didn't get where the Batman comparisons came from. Then I saw Alfred.

I dug the music that played during the giant robot fight. That's always a good sign. Can't say the same for Valvrave. As nuts as that show is, I can't hum one memorable tune from that show other than the opening.

I always like first episodes that end with cliff hangers. Gets people hooked right away rather than 5 episodes later.

Big O! Big O Big O Big OOOOOOO!

This is a good show, I need to go back to it.

Soma

Biggest disappointment: Definitely Kyoukai no Kanata

I was hoping that it would at least have an okay plot and a certain amount of charm to where the action balances it out but man... what a mess it turned out to be.

All I want is something around the level of Hyouka, is that too much to ask for? :(

Biggest surprise: Y'know I gotta say it's been White Album 2 so far.

I haven't really been surprised by Kill La Kill, Kyousogiga or Yozakura considering that I've been hyped up for all those and they've been living up to my expectations pretty well. White Album 2 however kinda came out of nowhere and surprised me with its very competent writing and direction. If it weren't for the few positive impressions for the first episode I wouldn't have batted an eye at this show considering how the promo image looks pretty generic. I'm glad I checked it out though because it's become one of the several shows I find myself looking forward to each week.

cajunator

Banned

disappointed kind of: Unbreakable Machine Doll. Yaya is amazing. Everything else is blah.

surprised: Yuusibu - squeeeeeeeee

i'm very disapointed by blazblue alter memory.
i can't be disapointed by knk since i wasn't expecting much.
for blazblue i was expecting either

- some cool fighting animated ( didn't happen )
- that they follow the story in a way that make sense ( didn't happen )

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 1

Well were do I begin? There seems to be a boost in budget with this episode. Either that, or animations really are wacky these days what with less personality and whatnot.... naw lets go with a boost.

I think I know what to say about Ojamajo Doremi. General Ending Spoilers
In some ways, it's like a person who can't argue, a whole lot of goalpost moving. You can be witches after this! But oh wait, something happens so lets move goalposts just to fuck with you.

And so we have shit happen for a new Maho-Dou and other crazy shit. Hana's speech feels like a gigantic leap over what she said before. I think it was the attitude behind it honestly. But more important
She forced herself to age up to go to school with Mama. Oh man, broke her crystals, powered down the witch, but man, it's like a new dynamic except it's not an entirely new dynamic because Hana was already here. I love her movements though when she was talking about going to school with em towards the end.

HEART PERFUMES AND FLOWER TACTS! MOTHER FUCK

cajunator

Banned
i'm very disapointed by blazblue alter memory.
i can't be disapointed by knk since i wasn't expecting much.
for blazblue i was expecting either

- some cool fighting animated ( didn't happen )
- that they follow the story in a way that make sense ( didn't happen )

You should play the game instead.

Wait I can waifu panda-kun?

That's both disturbing.. and kawaii,
mfwoijE.gif

You Sunk My Battle Waifu 07
>Robot. Feelings.exe found.
> Unable to locate Feelings.exe, Request to rejoin fleet.
> No.gif.
> Then we are now at opposite sides.
> Hopes. Deleted.

Kyoukai no Kanata Idol Saiban! ~Mayoinagara mo Kimi wo Sabaku Tami~ - 01

9jEO0xxl.jpg

The next Phoenix Wright game needs to have idols and dancing and more idols.

Fullmetal Alchemist 8 2003 Dub

Wow Barry :/ what did they do to you? I don't mind the more demented take on his character, but making him human seems wrong. Seems like this series is going to focus more on the idea of alchemist playing god which seems like a pretty clever direction to take the series. I wish Ed would stop crying so damn much he's angsty to the point of annoyance I get they're trying to depict Ed as a child in situations that are way over his head, but ironically I feel this depiction of the character would have worked better in the manga where Ed fails a lot and not this adaptation where he's the only one who can seem to get anything done.

Wow Barry :/ what did they do to you? I don't mind the more demented take on his character, but making him human seems wrong. Seems like this series is going to focus more on the idea of alchemist playing god which seems like a pretty clever direction to take the series. I wish Ed would stop crying so damn much he's angsty to the point of annoyance I get they're trying to depict Ed as a child in situations that are way over his head, but ironically I feel this depiction of the character would have worked better in the manga where Ed fails a lot and not this adaptation where he's the only one who can seem to get anything done.

Ed will never stop being angsty.

Man you haven't even reached the point they do what every anime adaptation that passes the manga does: introduce baddie out of nowhere. This is ultimate baddie.

Usual Suspects:
FMA
Blue Exorcist
can't remember if Claymore did this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom