• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to mostly watch actiony anime but this week I decided to change things up and watched both Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru and Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!I enjoyed both so I'm looking for recommendations similar to them or some comedy/slice of life/school days(not school days).

Hidamari Sketch
GTO
Azumanga Daioh
Nichijou
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Cromartie High School
School Rumble (haven't watched, apparently really good)
Genshiken 1-2

Sounds like they planted the witch seed super early then. The material that has been focused on has been good enough that it's not a problem really, but it did make me wonder.

I'm not aware of how the manga goes, but it feels to me like her character is going to be used to bookend the TV series, which is an idea I like.

I tend to mostly watch actiony anime but this week I decided to change things up and watched both Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru and Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!I enjoyed both so I'm looking for recommendations similar to them or some comedy/slice of life/school days(not school days).

Kimi to Boku
Super Seisyun Brothers

As to the witch, I feel it was a bit of a mistake to show her that early on since she won't show up for about 2 to 3 more story arcs. There's the story arc covered by the OVA, then I can't remember if her story arc or another.

It's pretty hard to really tell where this anime will end at. If they be super faithful, with the remaining chapters left, they can end right before it where the OVA starts adapting it which wouldn't be a bad idea.

Of course it doesn't help that the opening has both the witch and the OVA villain show up so no real idea if they are going to start skipping some chapters after episode 8 or not.

Tokyo ravens - 03

The nickname "bakatora" fit perfectly on the main character ...he is still not as dense as the main character in infinite stratos but he is still a pretty standard harem lead character on that aspect .

As for the episode itself , it was predictable so was the 2 twists ..it was fairly enjoyable but simple quite simple .. the CG is something else. Again i have no problem with Cg , but i do have a problem with cg that doesn't blend properly within a scene. It's a shame since tokyo raven at least in this episode had decent effect and a good scene direction this time.

So far , after 3 episodes tokyo ravens is a decent generic action show

It's pretty hard to really tell where this anime will end at. If they be super faithful, with the remaining chapters left, they can end right before it where the OVA starts adapting it which wouldn't be a bad idea.

Of course it doesn't help that the opening has both the witch and the OVA villain show up so no real idea if they are going to start skipping some chapters after episode 8 or not.

Lila shows up after Zakuro, so unless they shuffle things around, it's not going to end where the OVAs begin.

I really hope they don't mess with either. Zakuro's arc is when the manga actually starts to get solid. The thing is, they already covered most of it in the OVA, so I have no idea what they would do here.

We have the episode titles through 10, and I believe they confirm that the TV series will be skipping the arc that was adapted in the Hoshi no Umi OADs.

We have the episode titles through 10, and I believe they confirm that the TV series will be skipping the arc that was adapted in the Hoshi no Umi OADs.

Well that's a little unfortunate.

I look forward to the message saying please watch the OVA!

Actually, if they are trying to show off Lila's arc for the ending, they'll be skipping one backstory arc and one characters doing random things arc unless they start cramming things into one episode. :/

Huh, that makes sense if they're going to cover Lila's arc, but I wonder how they're going to do it, considering Zakuro becomes an actual character after the events of Hoshi no Umi.

cnet128

Banned
gais

gais halp.

I made the mistake of listening to the Sousei no Aquarion OP earlier today, and I think it may now be stuck in my head for ALL ETERNITY

what do i do

ichimannen to nisennen mae kara a-i-shi-te-ruuuuuuuuu

/XX/

I'd like to nominate the narrator of Negima!? for the best narrator in all of anime. His random "amigo!" and "love power!" make the show for me.

Closest persona in a show I love would be the bounty hunter announcers from Cowboy Bebop" Well howdy there buckaroos!"
The Hayate narrator is still the best narrator ever.
Kind of fond of the Shin Mazinger guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDj1KTha8go
I like BŌBOBO's 4th-wall-breaker narrator, and in every language dub I have heard of him (Japanese, Spanish and English), thing which I find rare.

Oh wow...they're actually making a CG Doraemon movie...

I...I don't know how to feel about this.
Bringing this up, I wouldn't mind a new 3DCGI feature film of another long-running franchise like is Crayon Shin-chan... if it is animated like the claymation intros!

What's your excuse for not watching Heidi, nerds?
Actually, it's funny that you brought up Heidi, because another World Masterpiece Theater anime series, Anne of Green Gables, just had a BD-box announced for Japan.
For full sappy effect remembering these works; think on such a master creator of them like is Mr. Takahata that retires soon, while you watch the following video, and tell me that your eyes doesn't at least get a little moist to the sound of 'Memory of Life' and those images of an artisan slowly giving shape to a last masterpiece:

映画「かぐや姫の物語」制作風景 | 高畑勲 展 | 映画「かぐや姫の物語」キャンペーンサイト| au loves ジブリ
http://www.aulovesghibli.com/pc/kaguyahime/gallery/movie/

certain boards aren't that bad honestly. /sp/ can be pretty funny. /a/, while full of shitty people, can also be good for a laugh from time to time.
Cool guys also go to /m/! But yeah, /sp/ is fun if only for all those 'TORRES' moments from time to time...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
AnimeGAF, I bought a drink just for you at the Japanese grocery on my way out of Chicago on Friday.
What a coincidence, I also bought a drink just for AnimeGAF. Not as a gift, but more of a necessity. A nice bottle of Merlot helps me to get through this thread in one piece.

Yozakura Quartet 7
Pretty damn epic especially that part when Akino got stabbed. Morino was pretty awesome too surprisingly. I liked what that old man did at the end.

Andrew J.

gais

gais halp.

I made the mistake of listening to the Sousei no Aquarion OP earlier today, and I think it may now be stuck in my head for ALL ETERNITY

what do i do

Dislodge it with a different song. I recommend "Roundabout."

In and arooound the lake
Mountains come out of the sky
And they stand there
One mile over we'll be there and we'll see you
Ten true summers we'll be there and
Laughing too
Twenty four before my love you'll see I'll be
There with yooooou

And then Episode 4 hits and suddenly the series is so, so much better. =D
Pretty much.

------------------
Tokyo ravens - 04

Kon is adorable .

Ok the shaman school setting is alright , and the 2 new characters do improve the flow a little. it's indeed better ... The end of this episode show much promise for the next one

Tenumi

Banned
So... I watched Pokemon Origins (Dub): 01 last night. Boy, that was a fun trip down memory lane. From the music to the lines pulled straight from the games, I couldn't help but smile throughout it all.

I'm not aware of how the manga goes, but it feels to me like her character is going to be used to bookend the TV series, which is an idea I like.

I hadn't thought of that but it would be a satisfying and structurally smart way to handle it. I don't think it wouldn't make sense to delay her to another season completely with how things have been presented in the show. Even if that would fit the manga timeline better, it would squander some of their set-up.

I am hoping someone can answer my question regarding the two CD soundtracks from Aniplex USA's Gurren Lagann DVD TV Series LE Box Set. Since RightStuf has a few extra dollars off this set during their Pre-Holiday sale, I may consider finally purchasing this before it goes OOP.

What are the list of songs on the CDs? I assume either the Gurren Lagann Best Sound or Gurren Lagann OST is being used in this release, but I cannot locate an unboxing video or track list to verify. I appreciate the help.

cnet128

Banned

The English sometimes feels a little forced (especially when they insert the gratuitous Japanese), but apart from that yes it's pretty amazing.

I am hoping someone can answer my question regarding the two CD soundtracks from Aniplex USA's Gurren Lagann DVD TV Series LE Box Set. Since RightStuf has a few extra dollars off this set during their Pre-Holiday sale, I may consider finally purchasing this before it goes OOP.

What are the list of songs on the CDs? I assume either the Gurren Lagann Best Sound or Gurren Lagann OST is being used in this release, but I cannot locate an unboxing video or track list to verify. I appreciate the help.

You can just about make out the tracklist in this unboxing video, and it's definitely the OST.

• Nein German Evangelion 08
That's what I'm talking about, finally some acrobatic ridiculous robot fighting action.

And people who don't talk in mumbles. Too bad it's poor German.

Hmmm....

Looks like I actually attempted to watch Shuffle once, since it was on Netflix and I was going on a harem spree for a month or two.
Nothing compared to the Magical Hell though

And then I gave up because it was boring. Hah.

Like we've said, it starts out as fairly standard harem first half with him trying to decide which girl he likes the most. Then once he decides who he likes, shit goes down and it gets a bit darker and breaks off some ideas. Similar to how Clannad AS shows post-high school moments, the MC of Shuffle eventually does stuff you wouldn't expect like move out of the house.

Well that's a little unfortunate.

I look forward to the message saying please watch the OVA!

Actually, if they are trying to show off Lila's arc for the ending, they'll be skipping one backstory arc and one characters doing random things arc unless they start cramming things into one episode. :/

The OVA did a very good job at adapting the Yeah Bitch Voodoo arc. I'm sure that somebody will mention it like "Oh boy I can't believe we had that adventure" and then a message will flash through the screen "watch OVA's/read manga"

I've seen it done in a couple of anime before like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei where they just refer you to a manga chapter.

God damn it, I've fallen behind. Still haven't watched the most recent episodes of Kill la Kill, Valvrave and Gundam MILF Fighters. In fact I haven't watched anything after finishing Yamato.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, life and school do not make a good combination for getting some good old anime watching done.

Came here with a little stupid idea though. Kamina glasses sure are cool, but you know what else is cool? Valvrave spacevampire sparkly purple facelines. Any easy way to get those on avatars?

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 25-

supernatural-confused.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hmmm....

Looks like I actually attempted to watch Shuffle once, since it was on Netflix and I was going on a harem spree for a month or two.
Nothing compared to the Magical Hell though

And then I gave up because it was boring. Hah.
Shuffle is boring. It has a harem setup, but there's no tension between anyone. There's no conflict, inside or outside. Everyone is simply there, everyone is fine, and everything is swell. It's not even safe 50's sitcom level.

...but then this perfect picture begins to crack, then shatters.

Now, whether it's worthwhile to you in the end may depend, but either way you're going to have to endure quite a bit before the show rewards your investment.

Jarmel

Banned
Shuffle is boring. It has a harem setup, but there's no tension between anyone. There's no conflict, inside or outside. Everyone is simply there, everyone is fine, and everything is swell. It's not even safe 50's sitcom level.

Now, whether it's worthwhile to you in the end may depend, but either way you're going to have to endure quite a bit before the show rewards your investment.

I got to episode 17 before dropping it.

cajunator

Banned
There's something looked wrong with that bottle..

Its designed in a special way to hold a marble that pops down as well as keep it in place while you drink.

Hidamari Sketch
GTO
Azumanga Daioh
Nichijou
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Cromartie High School
School Rumble (haven't watched, apparently really good)
Genshiken 1-2

All of the above are good. Zach knows what he's talking about.

Unfortunately for me, I have to be mentally prepared for this or I can't really take it down. Having a streak of boring episodes will normally make me more reluctant to considering watching more (which is why I haven't finished Digimon Tamers yet), and the only way for me to do it is to basically be ready to mow it down (Max Heart and SuperS being some examples)

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z

So some back story goes down about Dr. Hell and Dr. Kabuto back in the day, and their super hot lovely assistant. I'm supposing that this entire expedition was ultimately a triple cross going on, or a three way betrayal.

Also at this point Kouji had himself a dang sword. Kinda hope we can either move on from the back story of characters who aren't PCs in SRW and get back to the action or we can settle on down for a minute and actually have Kouji, Boss, and Sayaka like, meet or interact.

cajunator

Banned
gais

gais halp.

what do i do

The simple solution is to find another earworm and get that stuck in your head instead.

Would you say it...shuffled the story a bit?

Valvrave - 18

I wasn't too happy with this episode, it looked really cheap. From some character models that seem a little off( though off enough to distracting) to a wonky looking punching scene, this episode just didn't seem to be made well. Which is weird because there were some important plot revelations revealed in it.

That said, I can't say I am too happy with yet another
deranged father
, and yet another
"create a new world/place for the girl"
shtick.

Well it's one day late (due to a random Dota 2 craze that hit me) but my Fate/Zero review is in.

Fate/Zero - Series Review

This series is unique to me in that I took a multiple-month break from it right before the second half of the show due to getting hooked on Attack on Titan then moving on to other animes, completely forgetting about this anime.

When coming into Fate/Zero let me say that I have no exposure to the Fate/Stay Night anime (aside from watching the OPs) but I have played 2/3 of the VN (haven't completed Heaven's Feel) and it was fairly enjoyable for the most part.

So Fate/Zero takes place before Fate/Stay Night as the predecessor focusing on the previous Holy Grail War which sets up the scene for the one present in Fate/Stay Night. First thing, production quality is amazing (I would say to that present in anime films) and is prominent in action sequences which is alot in this show.

Music is also good and I know I said I preferred the first OP to the second. After listening more/finishing the series I have to revise my opinion to saying the second OP is superior as it just fits the theme of the anime more, this is not to say the first OP is bad. In addition the heavy orchestral/choir tracks played during action sequences were used to its full potential only adding to the 'epic' feel of the show. And yes I would describe the show as 'epic' for that is what it is, an epic.

As for the actual plot and story, the anime is so good because of its well-written characters. All characters have a motivation in participating in the Holy Grail War, one that is easy to understand for a viewer, even for the villains. As each character was
killed off, the premise of this series is essentially a battle-royale,
it was thanks to these characters that the tension rose as the anime steadily reached it climax.

The anime is also great because it is essentially 'mature'. There is literally no fan-service (panty shots, nudes, etc.) for the entire series save one scene with
Gilgamesh at the end
but is fairly debatable giving the context of the scene. All the characters are adults with the youngest being college-age. In addition to the atmosphere this mature aspect was also expanded to the themes introduced dealing with the death/end of honor, naivety of hope, and the sacrifice a few to save the many.

As for its ending, this was the series' weakest point. The ending itself wasn't bad in its own right but it paled to the rest of the series, a build-up to something awesome but then you end with just decent. This is due to trying to connect with its successor Fate/Stay Night, which it did. In summary, the show itself is great but it still had its half-retarded brother to look after.

Now for Kiritsugu, because its fucking Kiritsugu. Kiritsugu
has to be the most badass character I have encountered so far in the animes I have watched. The two episodes dedicated to build his character greatly helped in the final episodes when contrasted to Saber who has a conflicting philosophy. This guy is the batman of anime.

In conclusion I put Fate/Zero as an excellent anime. Amazing production quality, addictive action sequences, well-written character, and in-depth plot that will make the viewer think. All around a mature anime to which I can dub as 'mature' without hesitation.

Conan-san

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova and Beyond 42

8nLDG6ol.jpg

Yawn, another Iris is a crappy trainer episode. zzzzzz

You're on the home stretch, just three weeks and you will never have to worry about Gen 5 ever again outside of Pokemon Adventures, where the pokemon are dangerous and N is the creepy sociopath that he should be.

Frankly though, Iris is a right sod and if we never saw her again it'd be too soon.

That said, has CN Said if they're going stright to XY or if they're taking a break after the end of BW2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom