• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man you haven't even reached the point they do what every anime adaptation that passes the manga does: introduce baddie out of nowhere. This is ultimate baddie.

Usual Suspects:
FMA
Blue Exorcist
can't remember if Claymore did this

Trigun surpassed the manga very early on as well, but they had the mangaka's notes so it largely follows the same story beats as the manga.

CorvoSol

I wouldn't be surprised to find Corvo on /m/, maybe.

Jubern has recommended I go several times. I just don't know if I'm ready to stare into the untempered schism that is 4chan. Also I live in perpetual fear of the day my loud mouth pisses someone off enough to hack my computer and ruin my life.

Hooooo boy.

Rinko best MILF and girl of the season, but that gundam is hot.

Gundam MILF Fighters continues to deliver.

The Big O - 1

I legit chuckled at the suitcase flying off with all the money flying away in the opening scene.

At first I didn't get where the Batman comparisons came from. Then I saw Alfred.

I dug the music that played during the giant robot fight. That's always a good sign. Can't say the same for Valvrave. As nuts as that show is, I can't hum one memorable tune from that show other than the opening.

I always like first episodes that end with cliff hangers. Gets people hooked right away rather than 5 episodes later.

The Big O is the most nutritious anime I ever did watch. Rich in antioxidants or whatever that is that prevents cancer.

I cannot wait until Corvo watches Macross 7. He's either going to love it or absolutely hate it.

I feel like I've heard something like this before.

Macross 7 has a great novelty, but it wore of on me after I saw it 12 times.

Well anything wears off after 12 viewings.

duckroll

Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta 7

Duckroll was right - this really is this season/year's Code:Breaker. I love it.

This episode wasn't quite as flashy as the last one, but it was still pretty flashy with more amazing animation, stylish direction, and cool layouts. The revelations were handled in a very exciting manner visually, which helped to sell the increased threat to the main cast.

Except Irie isn't a sick unconvicted pedo! I think the responsible thing to do will be to report Ryochimo to the FBI right after Yozakura ends. We wouldn't want to compromise the production of the show, but his perversion must be kept in check! >_<

Huh, that makes sense if they're going to cover Lila's arc, but I wonder how they're going to do it, considering Zakuro becomes an actual character after the events of Hoshi no Umi.

Maybe they'll just run ads for the Hoshi no Umi blu-ray throughout the broadcast of ep8. Lol. :p

Okay, now that we're about halfway through the season it might be neat to take a sec and see not where hype succeeded, but where it failed and where it missed the train in the first place.

What's your biggest disappointment/letdown show of the season so far?
Conversely, what show was a pleasant surprise and is becoming an unexpected favorite?

Galilei Donna = Flushed down the toilet.

Yozakura Quartet = Whoa, Ryochimo isn't a fucking terrible director after all....????

Jubern has recommended I go several times. I just don't know if I'm ready to stare into the untempered schism that is 4chan. Also I live in perpetual fear of the day my loud mouth pisses someone off enough to hack my computer and ruin my life.

It'll probably be fine if Precure Chan has taught me anything.

Fullmetal Alchemist 9 2003 Dub

One of Ed's more brilliant moments in the series so far, as a whole this is pretty identical to the manga, outside of the introduction of the filler character Lyra who simply exist to give Ed a fight at the end of the episode. A really bad fight that honestly they would have been better off without.

fertygo

Corvo probably will think Macross 7 are the best thing from the franchise like he did with ZZ Gundam, shit there's many similarity between them.

cajunator

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata Idol Saiban! ~Mayoinagara mo Kimi wo Sabaku Tami~ - 01

9jEO0xxl.jpg

The next Phoenix Wright game needs to have idols and dancing and more idols.

Shows amazing.

Fullmetal Alchemist 9 2003 Dub

One of Ed's more brilliant moments in the series so far, as a whole this is pretty identical to the manga, outside of the introduction of the filler character Lyra who simply exist to give Ed a fight at the end of the episode. A really bad fight that honestly they would have been better off without.

I think you'll be surprised how they make Rose or w/e her name was, the priest girl with the pink strip hair, into a MUCH bigger character in the 2003 anime.

Fullmetal Alchemist 10 2003 Dub

I thought people said the "filler" in this show was good? This has to be one of the dumbest episodes I've ever seen. Al ends up acting like a moron the whole episode over some hot chick with boobs who reminds him of mom and Ed gets another bad fight to one shot his foe in. The transmutation circle on her boobs was so dumb it hurt my soul.

Okay, now that we're about halfway through the season it might be neat to take a sec and see not where hype succeeded, but where it failed and where it missed the train in the first place.

Conversely, what show was a pleasant surprise and is becoming an unexpected favorite?

No letdowns since I had no expectations for this season beyond Kill la Kill and Valvrave, both of which are delivering. Maybe Strike the Blood is the closest, since despite appearing generic in the PVs, I didn't think it would be SO generic that it would actually merge with my memory of other random stuff, making it tough to remember what happened in the last episode.

I guess KnK and Tokyo Ravens are tied for biggest surprise. The former since Kyoani shows don't usually do it for me. The latter is a bit interesting because I actually expected to like it going in, but thought the first episode was really meh. After that, it picked up tremendously even if the action is far from top notch. I definitely wasn't expecting to enjoy it more for the character interactions than the fights.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

My biggest letdown is definitely Kill la Kill. It's partially my fault because I bought into the hype based on basically groundless expectations that it was going to be a spiritual successor to Gurren-Lagann in terms of being a more tempered Imaishi show that balances kinetic slapstick humor, exaggerated action and extreme scale of plot escalation with genuine emotional depth, competent writing and narrative progression, consistently high production values and an inspirational message. Instead, Kill la Kill is a mostly vacuous show full of bad anime humor that sabotages what would otherwise still be funny or entertaining with its total lack of understanding for comic timing and insistence on hyperactively drowning out its own content until it becomes an indistinguishable stream of mush. Nothing is ever allowed to breathe, which makes it difficult for me to become invested in any of the characters and consequently robs the drama of most of its weight. Nobody really rises above the archetypical molds from which they're cut. I still love Trigger's animation ethos and they're doing their level best with what they have on a technical front, but the show as a complete product has failed to appeal to me at all.

Also notable: Valvrave S2, if only because the absurdity quotient is down severely from the previous season. It's not like it's suddenly bad now, but it's definitely relying on some of the goodwill for the characters that it built up in the first half.

Yozakura is definitely better than I expected, mostly due to the great direction and animation elevating some otherwise average source material. It won't make my AotY list by any means, but I'm still really enjoying it.

wonzo

Banned
Except Irie isn't a sick unconvicted pedo! I think the responsible thing to do will be to report Ryochimo to the FBI right after Yozakura ends. We wouldn't want to compromise the production of the show, but his perversion must be kept in check! >_<
But if we do that, we'll never get more OVA's & a potential second season. Think of the art™.

Branduil

FBI? I think you mean MI6, the UK is the one jailing people for thought crimes these days. The FBI would only be interested if Ryochimo was making an anime about Edward Snowden, in which case they'd demand access to every anime studio in Japan for totally legitimate reasons.

Jintor

Kill la Kill 07

That was fun.
Two-star
Mako was god-tier, wish we'd see more of that but looks like a future no-show. Her family remains pretty much dirtbags, though.

I think I've gotten used to the kind of show KLK is, pretty much a pure comedy with crazy action bits.

zeroshiki

Macross 7 is utter garbage and shits on the legacy of the Macross franchise. Basara is the worst Macross lead by far (yes worse than Isamu Dyson). "Hey guys, stop fighting the aliens who want to kill us. Who cares if everyone dies, just listen to my song and everything will be all right!!!"

Fullmetal Alchemist 11 2003 Dub

Finally a filler episode that actually works really well. The fake Elrich's are interesting characters and their red stone plan has been great so far. The way they foil Ed and Al really makes this episode work.

Branduil

Fullmetal Alchemist 11 2003 Dub

Finally a filler episode that actually works really well. The fake Elrich's are interesting characters and their red stone plan has been great so far. The way they foil Ed and Al really makes this episode work.

One of the "filler" episodes you've already seen is pretty important later by way of character introduction. Not saying which one.

Jarmel

Banned
My biggest letdown is definitely Kill la Kill. It's partially my fault because I bought into the hype based on basically groundless expectations that it was going to be a spiritual successor to Gurren-Lagann in terms of being a more tempered Imaishi show that balances kinetic slapstick humor, exaggerated action and extreme scale of plot escalation with genuine emotional depth, competent writing and narrative progression, consistently high production values and an inspirational message. Instead, Kill la Kill is a mostly vacuous show full of bad anime humor that sabotages what would otherwise still be funny or entertaining with its total lack of understanding for comic timing and insistence on hyperactively drowning out its own content until it becomes an indistinguishable stream of mush. Nothing is ever allowed to breathe, which makes it difficult for me to become invested in any of the characters and consequently robs the drama of most of its weight. Nobody really rises above the archetypical molds from which they're cut. I still love Trigger's animation ethos and they're doing their level best with what they have on a technical front, but the show as a complete product has failed to appeal to me at all.

That's kinda where I'm at with KLK. It's closer to P&S than it is to TTGL and for me that's a bad thing. I was really hoping Nakashima would temper out Imaishi but nope.

Mature

My biggest letdown is definitely Kill la Kill. It's partially my fault because I bought into the hype based on basically groundless expectations that it was going to be a spiritual successor to Gurren-Lagann in terms of being a more tempered Imaishi show that balances kinetic slapstick humor, exaggerated action and extreme scale of plot escalation with genuine emotional depth, competent writing and narrative progression, consistently high production values and an inspirational message.
Well, that's certainly a lot to expect.

Syrinx

Ouran High School Host Club 23

Hilarious episode throughout. And all that moe at the end. And then they played "Kick the Can". And then Honey-senpai being deeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I need to find a show similar to this as soon as I finish it. This show is just great.

I don't know, episode 3 was pretty much episode 11 of Gurren Lagann. I'd call that super inspirational and escalation...y!

I still highly anticipate every episode (though I haven't watched 7 yet due to dog issues).

Narag

/m/ is/was relatively sfw viewing. it's worth a pilgrimage

madp

The Light of El Cantare
especially once they revealed the whole uniform thing. That was about the point where I readjusted my expectations

I wasn't going to write KLK off for that just because it was ridiculous and sexual. Gurren made me take a lot of crazy stuff perfectly seriously.

That's kinda where I'm at with KLK. It's closer to P&S than it is to TTGL and for me that's a bad thing. I was really hoping Nakashima would temper out Imaishi but nope.

I made it two episodes into P&S. Clearly, unrestrained Imaishi just isn't my thing.

Well, that's certainly a lot to expect.

That's why I said that part of my disappointment is my own fault! I went in expecting the total TTGL package based on nothing.

fertygo

Well I disappointed to KLK because its a lot more lighter than I thought in atmosphere, its very cartoonish.
I thought its gonna close to Go Nagai manga atmosphere but nope. By that I mean its crazy in "Killer everywhere, everybody slashing each other" but nope, even the enemy defeated in cartoon way.

Its become apparent to me with I'm watching New Getter Robo, that's the thing that I'm hoping from KLK. Dat Go Nagai.

CorvoSol

Indeed, but they shouldn't be the first 12 episodes. :(

Hahaha, oh, I thought you meant 12 times through the show.

Corvo probably will think Macross 7 are the best thing from the franchise like he did with ZZ Gundam, shit there's many similarity between them.

I loved ZZ Gundam. It was a lot less insane than Zeta. Also no Katz.

I guess that's true. Although I haven't peeked at that side of 4chan because I don't see much reason for me yet.

Embrace the giant robots. They embrace you.

Macross 7 is utter garbage and shits on the legacy of the Macross franchise. Basara is the worst Macross lead by far (yes worse than Isamu Dyson). "Hey guys, stop fighting the aliens who want to kill us. Who cares if everyone dies, just listen to my song and everything will be all right!!!"

His unit's pretty useful in SRWZ2, though.

/m/ is/was relatively sfw viewing. it's worth a pilgrimage

You guys are leading me somewhere, here.

duckroll

I've read some additional comments posted about Jojo Pt3 from Ultra Jump. Seems interesting.

- They're really focused on making the Stand battles move in a visceral fashion. Sounds like they might actually have animation this time.

- They seem acutely aware of the difference in medium between anime and manga. They want to be faithful, but at the same time take advantage of animation as a medium. They're also trying hard to make the fights look intelligible instead of being confusing, because unlike manga where you can stop and read and re-read if you don't get something, anime is a continuous thing. (Especially on TV I suppose!)

- The new character designer has been redoing designs over and over to get the right look so the animation can feel intense.

- They want to get the right performance for the balance between voices, sound effects, and music, and so they're doing fresh auditions for the series. But the auditions don't exclude the people who were already cast in the PS3 game, so they might get the same roles or even different ones, depending on how the auditions go.

- Along with the main cast announcement at Jump Festa, there should also be a trailer screened.

Shergal

I guess I could say I'm disappointed with KlK, but it's been mostly enjoyable since ep 4 for me. I was expecting something more along the lines of episode 5 in terms of tone and quality but I guess it was misguided.
The show's obviously going to get fairly serious when the first main narrative arc sets in, so I think there's still place for some great stuff to happen.

Jarmel

Banned
One major complaint I have about KLK is that Ryuko is the worst character on her show. There's really nothing to her other than rah rah revenge, and she doesn't even feel strongly about that. I mean she grew up in a boarding school environment so it's not like she interacted with her dad that much and even during the ep 3 fight, she didn't seem too upset about the whole thing. So we have the main character seeking revenge mostly out of obligation. I mean her main personality trait is that she's lonely. With Simon, we kinda knew what the endgame was going to be for him pretty early on. With Ryuko what I'm getting is that she gets friends and becomes better at fighting. She's not exactly intelligent or a good fighter so far and she's just there. She's not annoying but or bad per say but she's not really notable.

I've read some additional comments posted about Jojo Pt3 from Ultra Jump. Seems interesting.

- They're really focused on making the Stand battles move in a visceral fashion. Sounds like they might actually have animation this time.

- They seem acutely aware of the difference in medium between anime and manga. They want to be faithful, but at the same time take advantage of animation as a medium. They're also trying hard to make the fights look intelligible instead of being confusing, because unlike manga where you can stop and read and re-read if you don't get something, anime is a continuous thing. (Especially on TV I suppose!)

- The new character designer has been redoing designs over and over to get the right look so the animation can feel intense.

- They want to get the right performance for the balance between voices, sound effects, and music, and so they're doing fresh auditions for the series. But the auditions don't exclude the people who were already cast in the PS3 game, so they might get the same roles or even different ones, depending on how the auditions go.

- Along with the main cast announcement at Jump Festa, there should also be a trailer screened.

Promising stuff. Hope we get an episode count soon. I'd say we'll need 3 cours to get the full Stardust Crusaders package, but great if they can do it in less without cutting out all the good fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom