• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

I've read some additional comments posted about Jojo Pt3 from Ultra Jump. Seems interesting.

- They're really focused on making the Stand battles move in a visceral fashion. Sounds like they might actually have animation this time.

- They seem acutely aware of the difference in medium between anime and manga. They want to be faithful, but at the same time take advantage of animation as a medium. They're also trying hard to make the fights look intelligible instead of being confusing, because unlike manga where you can stop and read and re-read if you don't get something, anime is a continuous thing. (Especially on TV I suppose!)

- The new character designer has been redoing designs over and over to get the right look so the animation can feel intense.

- They want to get the right performance for the balance between voices, sound effects, and music, and so they're doing fresh auditions for the series. But the auditions don't exclude the people who were already cast in the PS3 game, so they might get the same roles or even different ones, depending on how the auditions go.

- Along with the main cast announcement at Jump Festa, there should also be a trailer screened.

Aw yiss, The change of character designer definitely make this promising.. He doing good job in episode that he assigned with in S1.

Fullmetal Alchemist 12 2003 Dub

This was a pretty enjoyable two part affair, some decent action at the end and great use of alchemy to solve problems that aren't just punching dudes. I am getting a bit tired of these "nope not philosopher's stone" shenanigans though. I feel this series messed up teasing plot points with Scar then going on a bunch of cross country vignettes. It's hard to imagine Scar just sat around for 3 years without making a name for himself.

What next episode will be a duel between Ed and Roy?

duckroll

Promising stuff. Hope we get an episode count soon. I'd say we'll need 3 cours to get the full Stardust Crusaders package, but great if they can do it in less without cutting out all the good fights.

We might not find out the confirmed episode count until it airs next year though. S1's episode count was only confirmed when they listed the number of BD/DVD volumes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Revolving Girl Utena 28

yay found mah dvds again

oooh mr. ikuhara~

fencing
everything
is a metaphor for sex, isn't it

Jintor

I wasn't going to write KLK off for that just because it was ridiculous and sexual. Gurren made me take a lot of crazy stuff perfectly seriously.

TTGL had its share of sexual jokes but they were never the series focus, so when I saw that I kind of readjusted where KLK was going to fall mentally. I'm okay with it being what it is, but I can't say I don't wish it wasn't more than that (woah, too many negatives).

One major complaint I have about KLK is that Ryuko is the worst character on her show. There's really nothing to her other than rah rah revenge, and she doesn't even feel strongly about that. I mean she grew up in a boarding school environment so it's not like she interacted with her dad that much and even during the ep 3 fight, she didn't seem too upset about the whole thing. So we have the main character seeking revenge mostly out of obligation. I mean her main personality trait is that she's lonely. With Simon, we kinda knew what the endgame was going to be for him pretty early on. With Ryuko what I'm getting is that she gets friends and becomes better at fighting. She's not exactly intelligent or a good fighter so far and she's just there. She's not annoying but or bad per say but she's not really notable.

She's the 'driven' straight man to the show's brand of nonsense but her drive isn't as strong as it should be to keep everything in check.

But no way yo Mako's family is the worst character on the show, haha. Ep 7 was nuts.

Mature

You should keep in mind it's mostly going to be the same people making it still, so even though they'll well-intended, I'll keep my expectations in check. Lol.
If it's as entertaining as the first two parts, I'll be content. I've loved David Production's handling of it, despite the at times... less than favorable production quality.

wonzo

Banned
Yowapeda 7

yowapeda7.jpg

Sucks that Onoda hasn't caught up just yet but
when the old guy was introduced I couldn't help but wonder how many steroids he must've taken/facilitated in his prime.
feels bad

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know, episode 3 was pretty much episode 11 of Gurren Lagann. I'd call that super inspirational and escalation...y!

I still highly anticipate every episode (though I haven't watched 7 yet due to dog issues).

In the sense that it was supposed to be a turning point episode that blows the whole thing open? Yeah, that one left me pretty psyched because of what it was implying for the future of the show, but in the absence of shit getting any more real yet, it's kind of lost its punch in retrospect. By the same token, it could be a great moment in retrospect if KLK somehow manages to deliver on the escalation. There's just no way to know at this point.

who got all these cartoons in my cartoon?

You could say this to dismiss any criticism of any anime ever, which is an ironic simplification coming from you considering that you're one of the hardest to please here.

In the sense that it was supposed to be a turning point episode that blows the whole thing open? Yeah, that one left me pretty psyched because of what it was implying for the future of the show, but in the absence of shit getting any more real yet, it's kind of lost its punch in retrospect. By the same token, it could be a great moment in retrospect if KLK somehow manages to deliver on the escalation. There's just no way to know at this point.

I don't think you have to worry about things being awesome in retrospect. As hyperactive as it is, this is not a joke show like Panty and Stocking. Nakashima is probably aware of the expectations of this being a spiritual successor to TTGL, so the nonstop awesomeness of the beginning will likely be made a lot more meaningful upon tying into even more awesomeness later on.

I think you could already see signs of this in episode 6.

zeroshiki

His unit's pretty useful in SRWZ2, though.

Basara with SP Recover and that emblem that regenerates SP per turn pretty much means unlimited hot blood for everyone and/or super morale boosts. His unit is great.

Dynamite Explosion + Hot Blood is the most awesome buff ever.

Articalys

By the way, as for my own answers to the disappoint/surprise question:

Biggest letdown would probably be Galilei Donna for similar reasons as hosannainexcelsis stated (expected more entertaining globe-trotting adventures, got something nowhere near as fun). To a smaller degree, KLK is a little underwhelming similar to how Jarmel said, being closer to P&S (which isn't really my cup of tea) in tone and comedy style than Gurren Lagann. But we'll see where it goes in the future.

Biggest surprise is probably Outbreak Company, believe it or not. Initial takeaway from the plot summary back when it was announced was of just another trashy LN, and even my own first episode impression wasn't too stellar, but it's really developed well into something quite a bit of fun to watch (though yes, the final product does still have some blatant pandering bits to it, and the classroom scenes are a bit cringeworthy).
Plus, it has Miusel, who automatically makes it worth like five million extra points.

Fullmetal Alchemist 13 2003 Dub

Haha this episode was hilarious with a grim dark finale. It addresses my issue with them not mentioning Scar until recently, shows Roy being a goof ball, showing off his powers, and revealing his desire to become Fuher to make changes... like all female soldiers wearing mini skirts. This revolt kind of came out of nowhere but it should be interesting to see where they go with this.

The actual fight between Ed and Roy was pretty great even if Ed stood no chance. All in all this was one of the better episodes of the series so far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You could say this to dismiss any criticism of any anime ever, which is an ironic simplification coming from you considering that you're one of the hardest to please here.
It wasn't a comment meant to deflect criticism, I simply found humor in the wording of an anime being accused of being overly "cartoonish". While I have largely been enjoying Kill la Kill my response to the most recent episode is somewhat in line with your viewpoint.

It's nice of you to say I'm one of the hardest people here to please though.
I wish it was true. Then I'd be free of Magi.
dimbs gonna dimb yo

rather debatable in a way.
Did LeagueGAF tell you to say this?

CorvoSol

Hell no, I hate song unit in SRW.. Burn in with fire.

But musical units are so useful!

Basara with SP Recover and that emblem that regenerates SP per turn pretty much means unlimited hot blood for everyone and/or super morale boosts. His unit is great.

Dynamite Explosion + Hot Blood is the most awesome buff ever.

Better yet he can do MAP stuff. MAP SP recovery plus SP Recover per turn/kill plus 2 turns plus kill and move. I clear maps super fast.

P&S > TTGL, truth

Pshaw, TTGL Lagann Henn is amazing.

jman2050

I don't think being hard to please is a quality one wants to trumpet about themselves but that's just me.

It's kind of a curse in a way, like how I have trouble really enjoying some recent serviceable platformers because my standards for that genre are sky high.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 31-

I do like how this series has portrayed how Zentradi society has been fundamentally shifted due to culture. Like female commander is trying to seduce that other male commander into doing what she wants.

Branduil

Does it really count as a disappointment when it turned out pretty much exactly how we expected it to? Lol.

If you had a son whom you knew was doing drugs, and he got arrested, would your lack of surprise preclude you from also being disappointed?

Also, the previews for KnK really didn't hint at its actual nature.

Jarmel

Banned
If you had a son whom you knew was doing drugs, and he got arrested, would your lack of surprise preclude you from also being disappointed?

I would be disappointed that my son was stupid enough to get caught in the first place.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 2

goqhUdC.jpg
P98DlJr.jpg

See, all this did was fuel more of the MomokaxOnpu fans, which I can at least understand more than AikoxOnpu. Didn't even know this was a fucking thing. Where in the fuck are people looking?

Ah, I took too much time trying to watch this. I watched the first half of the show pretty well, but struggled to keep up due to many things taking my attention. As such I pretty much lost my energy to really watch anymore for tonight.

That being said, Reika is kind of a bitch again. Rinno sounds... less of a douche actually. I guess that subplot from Motto! paid off afterall. Still a fucking Crimson Chin in my eyes.

Grandchildren apparently suck, no wonder she actually ran away.

Actually, due to my lack of energy, I think the part that made it difficult was mainly Hana's inability to do much since she only grew in size and vocabulary, but her reading and school skills are lacking, so it's like, no depression please but that didn't happen.

LOL LETS GO TO THE BATHROOM AKA FUCK WITH REIKA! Man, it seems like it'll be difficult to bullshit their way much longer to convince people. Fuck, I wonder how they'll bullshit about the store changing.

Oh yeah, the OP is awesome. Super good. I think it's easy for me to put Sharp and Motto's OP on the low end of the scale.

duckroll

I would only be disappointed in myself.

"Your faults as a son is my failure as a father."

wonzo

Banned
Gingitsune 7

gingitsune7.jpg

I thought Haru was annoying but the monkeys were on a whole 'nother level. They better not show up again.

also gg to crunchyroll for a stuttering mess of an encode, makes my cancelation all the more sweeter

jman2050

I was tempted to put KnK down for disappointment but I've only liked exactly one KyoAni show, half of two others, and one movie since Haruhi S1 so I don't know if "more of the same" counts as a true disappointment.

Gazoinks

Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta 01

Next in our line of shows with out of place fanservice... Fairly enjoyable pilot episode. I don't have too much to say except why are there so many goldfish this anime season. I'll keep watching since I've seen a lot of positive reactions.

Reknoc

Gundam Build Fighters 7

Disappointing, I was promised a Beach episode :mad: didn't even get a bathing scene. Oh well, the fight was hilarious and probably the reason this show is my top show this season. So ridiculous that a guy terrorizing someone to move out so they can buy the land would be swayed by a Gunpla battle. Love it.

I want more anime to include engrish.The world would be a better place if we had more scenes like this

Please god kill me. That was so engrish I couldn't even understand it.

This one on the other hand is hilarious.

Subs 'n' Babes 7 (aka Arpeggio of Blue Steel)

http://i.imgur.com/Mbro104.gif

That was amazing. Shit should get real next episode.

Uhh...

Uhhhh......

That sure is something.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't think you have to worry about things being awesome in retrospect. As hyperactive as it is, this is not a joke show like Panty and Stocking. Nakashima is probably aware of the expectations of this being a spiritual successor to TTGL, so the nonstop awesomeness of the beginning will likely be made a lot more meaningful upon tying into even more awesomeness later on.

I think you could already see signs of this in episode 6.

This is why, even though I'm very critical of KLK now, I'm not ready to write it off and continue to be interested in what happens week to week. Gurren had some early goof-off episodes that I didn't really like (see: the Black Siblings and hot springs episodes), but once everything came together and the path of the story became clear, I forgave it all because the rate of progression still felt perfect.

I think that the difference is that even in TTGL's jokey early stuff there was still a deliberate thread of progression through everything that was steadily leading up to something. KLK is not quite as good at that, and part of my dissatisfaction is due to not really being able to nail down what the show even wants to be at this point. Like, I did appreciate that the end of episode six was clearly setting up something in the future, but when Ryuko doesn't even really have any sort of tangible foothold on her path to Satsuki yet, Uzu leveling up feels like an isolated development that doesn't convey the sense that things are any closer to some kind of culmination or big event. Again, retrospect will be really important here.

It wasn't a comment meant to deflect criticism, I simply found humor in the wording of an anime being accused of being overly "cartoonish". While I have largely been enjoying Kill la Kill my response to the most recent episode is somewhat in line with your viewpoint.

Trust me, I know a little something about only watching something because I'm incapable of stopping.

Ah, sorry for misinterpreting that, then. I've actually praised Kill la Kill for embracing its nature as a cartoon before, although I'm much more a fan of the artistic techniques associated with cartoons--expressions, visual gags, deformations/smears/etc, physics--than the associated types of humor. KLK adopts both halves of the cartoon whole; as such, it's a mixed bag. You get all of the fun visual stuff that most anime completely ignore, but you also get the zero-attention-span hyperactivity, gross-out stuff, etc. Given Imaishi's sense of humor, KLK would likely still retain its brand of comedy even if Trigger had decided to adhere to a more rigidly "anime" look so I think that the choice to blur the east/west boundary is still a net positive for the show.

Articalys

Arpeggio of Blue Steel ep.7

It's like every single bit of comedy that was supposed to be in the first six episodes all got siphoned into this one. Good god.

Also lol at
the GUNZOU DAKIMAKURA and replacing the girls with their respective ships in the ending animation

Seriously, this episode almost single-handedly vindicated me continuing to watch the show up to now. I wanted my Takao Comedy Power Hour and goddamn did I get it plus more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom