• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tomat: Tell you what
Tomat: I'll watch all of Dusk Maiden if you watch the first episode of Kaleid.
soda cop: deal
I'm sure this will be worth it.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 33-

So the first quarter of this episode, I wanted to put my hands through the screen and strangle the fuck out of Hikaru. That's like one of the most hurtful things you can do intentionally. Like true asshole material. The rest of the episode was good though detailing Focker.

cajunator

Banned
Non Non Biyori 7

another monday another great episode of this show, the brother always cracks me up even though he has a very small presence in the show I wasn't expecting him
to make a catgirl out of clay

I like the candy store girl too, the adults in this show are just bored out of their minds

I would love to make one of those out of clay!

Syrinx has the most radically different avatar changes, it frightens me every time.

Thats the Bucs quarterback

Bombless

Macross 33-

So the first quarter of this episode, I wanted to put my hands through the screen and strangle the fuck out of Hikaru. That's like one of the most hurtful things you can do intentionally. Like true asshole material. The rest of the episode was good though detailing Focker.

Funny, I said the exact same thing all throughout the series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm sure this will be worth it.

You won't feel that way while you're watching the episode. My skin was crawling through most of it.

Make him post impressions here to ensure that he's holding up his end of the bargain.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There was a bit of discussion about the Anime of the Year in the IRC since that Spike TV awards thread popped up yesterday. Well I already volunteered to do it but I'd like to bring up that idea I had the other day that caused a bit of a rift. Instead of giving ten points for a number one vote if they voted for ten shows meaning a difference of nine points between someone who voted for ten shows vs someone who voted for just one. What is the points break down form tenth to first place was 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4. The more you vote for the more power in your vote but not so much to be seen as unfair, also it would solve the problem of people sometimes not knowing which position two shows they enjoyed equally should be in.

Jarmel

Banned
There was a bit of discussion about the Anime of the Year in the IRC since that Spike TV awards thread popped up yesterday. Well I already volunteered to do it but I'd like to bring up that idea I had the other day that caused a bit of a rift. Instead of giving ten points for a number one vote if they voted for ten shows meaning a difference of nine points between someone who voted for ten shows vs someone who voted for just one. What is the points break down form tenth to first place was 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4. The more you vote for the more power in your vote but not so much to be seen as unfair, also it would solve the problem of people sometimes not knowing which position two shows they enjoyed equally should be in.

That's fine. That's probably what should be done for Game of the Year as well.

Articalys

Wait, I had to be in IRC to have a chance at AOTY again?

Also, going to a 4-3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1 wouldn't actually have drastically changed the order of the top ten from either of the past two years. I certainly wouldn't mind doing it that way this time around, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You won't feel that way while you're watching the episode. My skin was crawling through most of it.

Make him post impressions here to ensure that he's holding up his end of the bargain.
He already has to do more work than me, or I would. He wouldn't lie to me though.

Narag

Kinda liked the regular format.as it forced me to think about my choices. A/B/C/D tiering just seems weird!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Jubern has recommended I go several times. I just don't know if I'm ready to stare into the untempered schism that is 4chan. Also I live in perpetual fear of the day my loud mouth pisses someone off enough to hack my computer and ruin my life.

Just stay away from /b/ and you'll be okay. 4chan removed of /b/ is honestly not that bad.

Jarmel

Banned
Kinda liked the regular format.as it forced me to think about my choices. A/B/C/D tiering just seems weird!

Maybe doing 6,4,3.5,3,2.5,2,1.5,1,0.5(or something like that). That way the ordering does matter and the top pick does get a bit of a boost but not that much.

The actual values don't matter so much as the difference between each value.

Articalys

Seriously, I'd like to do the AOTY thread again this year, and I'll gladly go along with whatever points system is reached by general consensus.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
He already has to do more work than me, or I would. He wouldn't lie to me though.

Truthfully I only say this because I just want to see Tomat post in here again.

On one hand, this perfectly and succinctly sums up how I feel. On the other hand, it partially negates the influence of ballots that only vote for one show without instituting a blatant minimum show hurdle to keep casual watchers out of the vote.

Basically, we just have to ask ourselves collectively as a community how badly we want Wolf Children to score higher than Titans.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm going to attempt to finish Evangelion today and tomorrow. Will be my final anime :p

rip in peace peace

Maybe doing 6,4,3.5,3,2.5,2,1.5,1,0.5(or something like that). That way the ordering does matter and the top pick does get a bit of a boost but not that much.

The actual values don't matter so much as the difference between each value.

I like favoring the overall order rather than teirs.

zeroshiki

Why shouldn't it be straight 1-10? Setting it up as ties in the earlier positions don't make sense. What if I have two shows I really like this season and my 3rd place show is really far below? The 2nd and 3rd place would have to share the same points?

Jarmel

Banned
Seriously, might as well just do an AnimeGAF only AOTY and then do a separate one for the dirty casuals in the OT.

AnimeGAF version requiring something like five posts in an AnimeGAF Thread throughout the year and a minimum of three shows while the OT version has no restrictions.

On the other hand, it partially negates the influence of ballots that only vote for one show without instituting a blatant minimum show hurdle to keep casual watchers out of the vote.

I agree with this. As long as it diminishes the influence of single voters, a new scoring system would be an improvement. I'm not sure the specifics beyond that will matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Seriously, might as well just do an AnimeGAF only AOTY and then do a separate one for the dirty casuals in the OT.
Someone usually adds up the AnimeGaf votes anyway.

zeroshiki

AnimeGAF version requiring something like five posts in an AnimeGAF Thread throughout the year and a minimum of three shows while the OT version has no restrictions.

Brandy actually counted up the AOTY votes last year using some kind of AnimeGAF only filter. It was fun to see what casual GAF and AnimeGAF voted for.

Articalys

I though you volunteered before to do one for just the AnimeGAF thread with other categories like "Best Art Direction" and such, right? Or was that someone else?

edit: oh, so that wasn't you. Well, whoever it was, then.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Basically, we just have to ask ourselves collectively as a community how badly we want Wolf Children to score higher than Titans.
Well I was considering just making films and OVAs their own separate categories. Slightly for selfish reasons since I find it easier to compare films with films and tv shows with tv shows. Also it prevents me from voting for my favourite show of last year over the original content of this year just because it got a bonus episode this year.

Shergal

Someone had the idea earlier about the AnimeGAF voting being more elaborate and detailing stuff like best animation categories.

I'd be up for something more informal like this, with different 'awards' and stuff. Should be fun.

I think the AOTY rules are okay, the correct show(s) won last year with those rules :p.
I guess there could be a minimum amount of entries in your ballot for it to count.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Fuck AnimeGAF-only anything. The last thing GAF needs is more exclusion crap.
To be fair, I was basically thinking of a solution to prevent you just voting for Gundam Build Fighters and nothing else.

I guess there could be a minimum amount of entries in your ballot for it to count.
But that's just mean. Some people only watch a certain amount of shows from this year (they may have spent it catching up on a backlog). or only feel like giving certain amount of shows a vote.

wonzo

Banned
A 10-1 point format would be fine, but only if it adds up depending on how many votes one actually casts.

One person puts down 10 votes = Their #1 gets 10 points, their #2 gets 9
One person puts down 6 votes = Their #1 gets 6 points, their #2 gets 5

etc

Just stay away from /b/ and you'll be okay. 4chan removed of /b/ is honestly not that bad.
Nah, 4chan is pretty terrible regardless.

Well I was considering just making films and OVAs their own separate categories. Slightly for selfish reasons since I find it easier to compare films with films and tv shows with tv shows. Also it prevents me from voting for my favourite show of last year over the original content of this year just because it got a bonus episode this year.

Are there enough films worthy of recognition? If we start ranking them, we'd just end up putting every decent film on the list. We'd see people voting for the likes of the Index and Strike Witches films.

Jarmel

Banned
Fuck AnimeGAF-only anything. The last thing GAF needs is more exclusion crap.

It's just a vote. It's not like we're locking them out or something. If they really want to participate in the AnimeGAF AOTY stuff, it's not like the barrier would be insanely high.

Shergal

But that's just mean. Some people only watch a certain amount of shows from this year (they may have spent it catching up on a backlog). or only feel like giving certain amount of shows a vote.

Why vote then?

Again though, I don't see any major issue with the current rules anyway. Maybe something like wonzo's idea would be smoother.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A 10-1 point format would be fine, but only if it adds up depending on how many votes one actually casts.

One person puts down 10 votes = Their #1 gets 10 points, their #2 gets 9
One person puts down 6 votes = Their #1 gets 6 points, their #2 gets 5

etc
That was my original proposition but it was deemed a bit unfair because someone voting for one show really only gave one point to their AotY vs a ten show voter being able to give ten points. Also by making it less points I thought it may help prevent padding.

zeroshiki

I like wonzo's idea (notwithstanding the fact that I only voted for 7 shows last year so I would have been penalized) since it would weed out the 1 show votes. I'm open to being convinced otherwise though. I guess the argument is that people might pad out their lists with random shit but we had troll votes last year too so its not that big a deal.

Jarmel

Banned
Why vote then?

Again though, I don't see any major issue with the current rules anyway. Maybe something like wonzo's idea would be smoother.

Pretty much. If you've only seen two things then you probably shouldn't be judging/voting. Like I said, just do a dual voting process. If the general public wants Shingeki to win that's fine. However doing something private with different rules and categories should also be fine. There might even be similar results. Who knows?

Its not survey anymore then.

Having two separate events doesn't rule out the OT one being a survey.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Arti's been doing AOTY since 2011. He should get first crack at it until he says he doesn't want to anymore.

cosigned

I like this, actually, and not just because it solves my major conflict of interest :lol It's always felt slightly unfair to compare short-length to full-length animated productions, especially when live action awards are traditionally not lumped together this way and there are enough animated works in a year that it's not like the two categories are combined out of necessity for lack of variety. At the expense of a slightly more bloated list, a few more good works get exposure that they otherwise wouldn't.

Would something like 10 shows, 3 films, and 3 OVAs work?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Arti's been doing AOTY since 2011. He should get first crack at it until he says he doesn't want to anymore.
Isn't it also fair to give others a go. I mean someone who join after 2011 should have the option too right?

Would something like 10 shows, 3 films, and 3 OVAs work?
Well I thought it should be smaller because even us "hardcore" anime watchers are unlikely to have seen 10 films and 10 OVAs over the year haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom