• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombless

Macross 34-

Holy shit. The saddest part of this episode is that I don't know who was a bigger scumbag this episode, Kaifun or Hikaru. Both are becoming legendary in my eyes. Scumbags of the fucking century. This might be funny if it was intentional on Hikaru's part and it wasn't so goddamn sad. Misa deserves better than this dickweed. The shit Hikaru tried to pull off this episode, I wouldn't even do to my casual friends let alone someone I was remotely interested romantically.

Oh and what the fuck is up with this ending? Like the show is giving Kaifun some moral high ground bullshit as he walks off like he's cool. Jesus Christ. This fucker deserves to be smacked with a brick and then dumped in the gutter.

Yeah, at this point I wanted to gut them both and leave them to bleed out in the street.

Jarmel

Banned
hahahaha oh man.

Did Angel Beats make top 10 in its year? I can't remember.

Yes it did.

1 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt 199
2 Durarara!! 156
3 The Tatami Galaxy 147
4 The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya 139
5 K-On!! 138
6 Princess Jellyfish 131
7 Angel Beats! 99
8 Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 79
9 Shiki (novel series) 78
10 Katanagatari 73
11 Gundam Unicorn 70
12 House of Five Leaves 64
13 Shinryaku! Ika Musume 56
14 Colorful (film) 53
14 Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 53

Yes it did.

2 Durarara!! 156
3 The Tatami Galaxy 147
5 K-On!! 138
6 Princess Jellyfish 131
7 Angel Beats! 99
10 Katanagatari 73
11 Gundam Unicorn 70
14 Colorful (film) 53
15 Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 53

PROOF OF A FAILED SYSTEM

wonzo

Banned
The Angel Beats award for excellence in digital composition.
ohhh.png

the kingdom & future of anime joint model for greatest advancement in the use of cg

Soma

Pretty crazy seeing how many more people have been voting recently.

2 Durarara!! 156
3 The Tatami Galaxy 147
5 K-On!! 138
6 Princess Jellyfish 131
7 Angel Beats! 99
10 Katanagatari 73
11 Gundam Unicorn 70
14 Colorful (film) 53

Compared to the numbers here:

1 Hyouka 619
2 Fate/Zero 2nd Season 570
3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 567
4 Tsuritama 417
5 Kids on the Slope 367
6 Girls und Panzer 322
7 Space Brothers 290
8 From the New World 264
9 Humanity Has Declined 246
10 K-On! The Movie 228

from last year. I can imagine this year will have even more voting participants too.

lol. I actually really did like Angel Beats, but considering it was like the first anime I watched my opinion's probably completely changed.

• Neon First Book of the Pentateuch Genesis Evangelion 13
Thanks mom.

Beating aliens with the power of computers. Who do you think you are, Jeff Goldblum with a Mac

cajunator

Banned
If it's as entertaining as the first two parts, I'll be content. I've loved David Production's handling of it, despite the at times... less than favorable production quality.

They should make more Ben-to. Remember that show DP?

Biggest disappointment of the season is KyoAni's continued slide into being a gussied-up seller of cynical pandertrash.

As long as it sells its fine.

I want more anime to include engrish.The world would be a better place if we had more scenes like this

That is so awesomely bad.

I want more anime to include engrish.The world would be a better place if we had more scenes like this

hahaha what the heck, I had no idea what was going on the whole time.

I think it's kinda interesting the difference in animation styles in that scene in particular -- the Americans are drawn in a style that reminds me of American cartoon designs.

• Nii-yawn Genesis Evangelion 14
Oh, recap episodes. Wait, no it's only partially a recap episode!

What the heck is even going on. 11 never happened, the Dead Sea Scrolls, Rei mumbling some random crap.

Everyone's got emotional baggage and it just keeps growing and growing

fertygo

Now watch Do you Remember Love? Jarmel, that's the real deal.
  • Nii-yawn Genesis Evangelion 14
Oh, recap episodes. Wait, no it's only partially a recap episode!

What the heck is even going on. 11 never happened, the Dead Sea Scrolls, Rei mumbling some random crap.

Everyone's got emotional baggage and it just keeps growing and growing

Its kinda shame you're not enjoying/taking this watch seriously, at least that what I get from these impression. I really appreciate NGE after my recent rewatch.

Now watch Do you Remember Love? Jarmel, that's the real deal.

Its kinda shame you're not enjoying/taking this watch seriously, at least that what I get from these impression. I really appreciate NGE after my recent rewatch.

I think I'm just losing coherency because I've been awake for 48 hours now

cajunator

Banned
Nightmare fuel. Nightmare fuel all day everyday

You know, if people just linked that video, maybe they can convince people to choose subs over dub.

The sub for Steins;Gate is so much better.

I'm sure this will be worth it.

Kaleid Liner is really cute and fun.
So hes watching Dusk Maiden? why did he get need to watch bet such a great show?

Truthfully I only say this because I just want to see Tomat post in here again.

On one hand, this perfectly and succinctly sums up how I feel. On the other hand, it partially negates the influence of ballots that only vote for one show without instituting a blatant minimum show hurdle to keep casual watchers out of the vote.

Basically, we just have to ask ourselves collectively as a community how badly we want Wolf Children to score higher than Titans.

I ordered Wolf Children. Should be shipping shortly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh shit, I almost forgot that it came out this year because this is TIMELESS:

The Mystical Laws

AOTY decided, don't even need to have a thread now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also I saved my Girls Und Panzer vote for this year as it hadn't concluded last year. So could we see the same show in the top 10 two years in a row?

NeonZ

• Log Horizon 07 END :(
Now including your daily dose of pushing up glasses.

Why is everyone so pretty in this world. I mean, I guess it's the same problem in Sword Art Online and all MMO-based fiction, but like. Everyone is so attractive, and if they're not, then they're like people who are clearly not in the demographic for a game like this, with tons of old guys.

Huh... Unlike in SAO, there was no "you return to your real appearance" thing here. They look like their characters, unless they go out of their own to change things (like Akatsuki did in episode 1).

Shin Mazinger Z

Also at this point Kouji had himself a dang sword. Kinda hope we can either move on from the back story of characters who aren't PCs in SRW and get back to the action or we can settle on down for a minute and actually have Kouji, Boss, and Sayaka like, meet or interact.

I feel like that was the biggest problem with Shin Mazinger. Imagawa really had no interesting ideas for the characters who were originally the main cast of the series... Sayaka falls for Kouji, and Boss becomes a friendly rival and ally just because that's supposed to be their roles in the story, with little screentime spent on actually developing those elements. And Imagawa doesn't really add anything to them, unlike what's done to the villains and new supporting characters.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross-fin
Well the pain is over with. Misa deserved better. I really not sure about how I feel about this show. The first fourteen or so episodes are pretty good. However with the introduction of Kaifun(a character who needed a good old ass beating with a lead pipe), the show goes into this death spiral that doesn't ease up and just absorbs everything. I liked some of the early character interactions and dialogue but when
Minmay becomes famous
Minmay and Hikaru don't interact at all and so any sort of chemistry is lost in the void. Like why should the audience be rooting for the two to get back together when they barely have any scenes together? The relationship drama wasn't interesting or entertaining to watch. Minmay clearly doesn't give a fuck about him for a good chunk of the episodes. Doesn't stop Hikaru from savoring being in the friendzone for god knows how many years. It got old real quick and it doesn't let up. Kaifun being an insufferable prick that everybody wants to dickride didn't help matters either.
I will give Hikaru credit for confessing to Minmay but the back ten then undo any goodwill I had given him due to him becoming a straight up asshole.
He's not as despicable as Kaifun(did I mention that he deserves to be beaten to a bloody pulp?) but he's still a shitbag. He doesn't deserve any black tea.
i9eREPCiGcjmn.jpg

Why does she have orange soda in a wineglass?
I did enjoy a lot of the secondary characters such as Focker, Shammy, Claudia(a black woman in an interracial relationship in an anime is blowing my mind), and Max. Well much more than the main three. I mean Misa isn't really that bad in the show as she does develop and change, but the other two, I wouldn't care if one of the Zentradi stepped on them both. I liked Misa a lot more in the later episodes as she does soften up.
As for the narrative, it was kinda cheesy but still a decent watch. There are elements of the show I liked, such as the breaking or not functioning of certain technical components in the show, but then there are other elements
such as having your climax be at episode 27 in a 36 episode series. The back ten feel like some extended epilogue that almost doesn't feel like it's from the same show in that it's a bit darker in tone. I will give them credit for allowing the destruction of the Earth. That felt like a really dark moment and I'm not sure if many other franchises would have had the balls to do that. I did like some stuff from the back ten in that it depicts how the Zentradi have been affected by their contact with human society and 'culture'.
If they had found out about masturbation, they would have truly been unstoppable. That said, the
threat from the rebels wasn't really that serious and I found that storyline kinda boring.
I did like the fact that they had issues adjusting but they didn't really do anything that interesting with it.
icmU0aco0mqLd.gif

The show was on an animation level, a true sakuga show. What I mean in that the show looks pretty poor most of the time but does have periods where the animation looks fantastic. I've seen people unintentionally look cross eyed or bugged eyed, not to mention that fight in Nyan Nyan where I was seeing white and streaks of black to represent punches. They also reused quite a bit of footage but it wasn't as bad as GaoGaiGar. Some of the mech/dog fights do look incredible but the off character models should be noted.
iYMPib5lzaNGK.jpg

She's seen some shit.
I wasn't that impressed with the soundtrack. The OP theme is good but the rest of it other than Minmay's songs (and variations of it) aren't that good. That said, I highly enjoyed Minmay's stuff. Good utau indeed.
I should also note that having seen Macross Frontier first, I realize how much Macross Frontier pays homage to in the OG series. There are a ton of references that MF does that I didn't really pick up.
In short, it looks like Max was the true winner in the series.
Got the best wife, is the best pilot, and has a kid to boot.

Huh... Unlike in SAO, there was no "you return to your real appearance" thing here. They look like their characters, unless they go out of their own to change things (like Akatsuki did in episode 1).

She just changed to a female appearance, is there any reason to believe it's what she really looks like?

NeonZ

She just changed to a female appearance, is there any reason to believe it's what she really looks like?

The reason that she changed wasn't only gender. She changed to a body similar to her real self to avoid the balance problems that she had right after the change. It doesn't mean that it's identical to her real appearance though.

Jarmel

Banned
Dude, "You're not alone. You have your songs" is like the greatest
rejection line
I've ever heard. It's so deliciously dickish that I can't help but laugh at how amazing it is.

Gbraga

I don't know, episode 3 was pretty much episode 11 of Gurren Lagann. I'd call that super inspirational and escalation...y!

I still highly anticipate every episode (though I haven't watched 7 yet due to dog issues).

Episode 3 was fucking amazing. DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAAAAAY

We need a new episode like that, hopefully escalating things so quickly it'll pierce the heavens.

cajunator

Banned
Yes it did.

2 Durarara!! 156
3 The Tatami Galaxy 147
5 K-On!! 138
6 Princess Jellyfish 131
7 Angel Beats! 99
10 Katanagatari 73
11 Gundam Unicorn 70
14 Colorful (film) 53

Pretty good list!

sonicmj1

Episode 3 was fucking amazing. DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAAAAAY

We need a new episode like that, hopefully escalating things so quickly it'll pierce the heavens.

Episode 3 was great, but it's not GL episode 11. Other people's comments have been getting at this, but Ryuuko still has a lot of growing up to do. Beyond her vague goals of "revenge" and "piss off Satsuki", she doesn't really know what she's fighting for. Until she figures that out, she'll just be a tool of the government, or anyone else.

That said, it's still one of my favorite shows this season.

In short, my biggest disappointment is KnK, and my biggest surprise is Kyousougiga, which I had no real expectations for going in. I think I see what people mean now when they talk about its weaknesses relative to the ONAs (I should check those out just to see how they handled things), but I really like what it's doing. And the opening always lifts my spirits.

Except Irie isn't a sick unconvicted pedo! I think the responsible thing to do will be to report Ryochimo to the FBI right after Yozakura ends. We wouldn't want to compromise the production of the show, but his perversion must be kept in check! >_<

You'd probably wipe out half the industry if you went that route.

I've read some additional comments posted about Jojo Pt3 from Ultra Jump. Seems interesting.

Sounds promising. At least David Production is saying all the right things.

I see they changed the opening sequence to make it even more like that of an American live-action TV show. Otherwise, looks neat. Sawashiro's voice for Logicoma makes my heart melt.

fertygo

Macross-fin

Friendly reminder (again) watch Do You Remember Love soon. Shortening the whole thing to just 2 hour movie made the presentation more poetic than the silly sci-fi + soap opera than what they had in this TV series.

I do fond enough with the TV series tho, but I like the movie presentation better.

In short, it looks like Max was the true winner in the series
Of course, he's the man with zero fuck to give.

Dragoshi1

Is it just me, or is the OP of Yuusha ni narenakatta gradually changing?

Like, the girls all dancing is starting to be more prevalent as the episodes go.

jgminto

From the New World 2-5

What a wonderful yet disturbing world they've created. It's really impressive how they were able to give a real sense of self with the literature and flashbacks. It's also wonderful to look at, aside from a bit of budget in the last ep. The main group of characters are fun, though I think I've had enough of timid, fuwa fuwa Mamoru. I totally understand his emotions in that situation but it was still pretty grating.

You should play the game instead.

i am a blazblue player , the anime is just ...disapointing.
i dont know if it's the planning that was a mess of the director or just the studio or even if they got pressure from above but i feel that this anime is an insult to the fans.

Last season i was very critical of danganronpa but i honnestly feel that blazblue is doing MUCH MUCH worse in term of faithfullness to the original material.

cajunator

Banned
The reason that she changed wasn't only gender. She changed to a body similar to her real self to avoid the balance problems that she had right after the change. It doesn't mean that it's identical to her real appearance though.

I highly doubt she has adorable mophair "irl". Or that Serara is that precious either. But, this is animu.

From the New World 2-5

What a wonderful yet disturbing world they've created. It's really impressive how they were able to give a real sense of self with the literature and flashbacks. It's also wonderful to look at, aside from a bit of budget in the last ep. The main group of characters are fun, though I think I've had enough of timid, fuwa fuwa Mamoru. I totally understand his emotions in that situation but it was still pretty grating.

Those creatures...SO unsettling.

Branduil

Hmmm, let's see. I can think of Wolf Children, Blue Exorcist, Madoka 3, and Eva 3.0 for films. And probably LWA and Death Billiards for short films. Clearly not much at all.

In terms of getting the shows you want higher up the ranking, there's no downside to voting for less shows if you care about less shows.

So basically Wolf Children or LWA.

Poor Garden of Feet and Hanasaku Iroha :(

Yowamushi Pedal 7
bI9k7dc.png

Best character so far.

And the race continues. I love Onoda's determination
though I worry about if he's going to end up pushing himself too far in the future
. Strange foreign man is fantastic and I hope we see more of him in the future. Still enjoying the little B plot at the end of the credits every week
that sempai photo, man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom