• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
now for Macross 7

If Jarmel doesn't do it, I have half a mind to. Only Macross anything (other than the Frontier movies) that I haven't made it through.

I think the best couple is a tie between Max and them though. They both got the life they wanted!

Macross as a franchise hasn't reached its full potential until there's a Meltran (NOT MICLONED)/human romance at the center of the story.

Yowamushi Pedal 7

l5dLDuQ.jpg

This show always manages to bust out some cool layouts like this a couple times each episode.

Onoda's enthusiasm is so infectious; it propels the show forward and makes the episode seem short even though it didn't cover that long a stretch of the race. He's such an easy character to root for. I am looking forward to the team races though.

Strange foreign man is fantastic and I hope we see more of him in the future.

He appears to be the team's coach, so he will no doubt be appearing numerous times in the future.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My PS4 finally arrived yesterday (fuck you Amazon you are the worst). Crunchyroll app is great, its a million times better than the PS3 app and honestly runs better than it does on my computer.

I might actually start watching some anime again. Hooray! (I think.)

So what are the best shows on CR this season?

Also if anybody here wants to add me - my PSN is is the same as my Gaffu.

Bombless

So given the comments here about Macross 7 I've given the first 3 episodes a try....

I want to strangle Basara already (he's basically a mix of Minmay and Kaifun?). Also thanks for whoever subbed this for mentioning the evil overlord is actually
male.

So jelly. I wasn't thinking of picking one up till January, but now I have the money so I thought I might as well get it. Now the issue is waiting for more stock to come.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Samurai Flamenco Episodes 3-4:

This is getting less bad, and Samurai Flamenco is actually fighting crime now, and he is immediately upstaged by his female (sorta)-counterpart. Shit, this is even more like Kick-Ass then I had anticipated. Anyway, yea, this show is still terrible and I still hate it, even at the 4 episode threshold, back into the dropped list you go and indeed belong.

Yowamushi Pedal 7
tumblr_mwhkesK31j1qzb9wpo1_400.gif

Well Naruko continues to deliver over and over. Continuously the more interesting things happen among him and Iwaizumi. For the other things
didnt much like the attitude of the team mates to Onodo suggesting that he might as well stay in third and keep on keeping on. Could have at least been a bit more inspiring or not said that as Makishima said

Reknoc

So given the comments here about Macross 7 I've given the first 3 episodes a try....

I want to strangle Basara already (he's basically a mix of Minmay and Kaifun?). Also thanks for whoever subbed this for mentioning the evil overlord is actually
male.

That seems a bit extreme, all he wants you to do is listen to his song

What's with anime and expert chef high school students?

For some reason it bothers me.

> I live by myself. Today's dinner is bisteq a le boeuf with a tangerine duck sauce and a side of roasted vegetables.
> Ah thank you senpai!
> Wait that's not all. Let me take out the flambe chocolate pure with truffle scrapings.

Unbreakable machine doll - 02 & 03

So let's see :

Yaya is love

Shoko is troll ( i mean WTF )
sending the guy with a power nerfed doll ?

Closed eyes shady guy is shady as usual.

I'm a little disapointed my prime suspect turned out to be the right guy... i guess i should look forward to the fight in ep 4...

He appears to be the team's coach, so he will no doubt be appearing numerous times in the future.

Yeah thinking back on the phone call, I believe you're right. This makes me look forward to the eventual team practices!

For the other things
didnt much like the attitude of the team mates to Onodo suggesting that he might as well stay in third and keep on keeping on. Could have at least been a bit more inspiring or not said that as Makishima said

As nice as it is to inspire first years, I think speaking realistically to Onoda is best for him since he's a beginner and is unaware of his own limits yet. Looking forward to Onoda to continue exceeding expectations, but the sempai's warning does sound like a bit of foreshadowing, whether for this race or for future races.

> I live by myself. Today's dinner is bisteq a le boeuf with a tangerine duck sauce and a side of roasted vegetables.
> Ah thank you senpai!
> Wait that's not all. Let me take out the flambe chocolate pure with truffle scrapings.

Well, I can't speak for the trope in anime, but I know at least when I started living on my own and cooking my own meals I became MASUTA CHEF out of necessity.

cnet128

Banned
I've read some additional comments posted about Jojo Pt3 from Ultra Jump. Seems interesting.

- They're really focused on making the Stand battles move in a visceral fashion. Sounds like they might actually have animation this time.

- They seem acutely aware of the difference in medium between anime and manga. They want to be faithful, but at the same time take advantage of animation as a medium. They're also trying hard to make the fights look intelligible instead of being confusing, because unlike manga where you can stop and read and re-read if you don't get something, anime is a continuous thing. (Especially on TV I suppose!)

- The new character designer has been redoing designs over and over to get the right look so the animation can feel intense.

- They want to get the right performance for the balance between voices, sound effects, and music, and so they're doing fresh auditions for the series. But the auditions don't exclude the people who were already cast in the PS3 game, so they might get the same roles or even different ones, depending on how the auditions go.

- Along with the main cast announcement at Jump Festa, there should also be a trailer screened.

I do like the sound of these comments (and trailer on the way, woo!) Even the news about the casting sounds more promising than I was expecting. If they're including the existing VAs from ASB in the audition process, hopefully the ones who did an amazing job have a good chance of sticking around.

I still wish they were sticking faithfully to the game voices, mind, because my heart will not be still until I know that the leads from Parts 4 and 6 are intact, and now we'll have no confirmation of that for YEARS >.<

I know! Link Between Worlds comes out FRIDAY and my copy doesn't come till TUESDAY.

If it makes you feel any better, I only have a Japanese 3DS, so I have to wait until December 26th. It hurts.

> Ah thank you senpai!

Perhaps it exists as a kind of karmic balance for those characters who are able to turn even the most mundane ingredients into dishes that are borderline fatal.

Well, I can't speak for the trope in anime, but I know at least when I started living on my own and cooking my own meals I became MASUTA CHEF out of necessity.

Interesting. Living by myself just turned me into MASUTA of putting pizza and lasagne in the oven.

I live "by myself" (roommate in apt) and the only master chef skills I have is the one of masterfully microwaving 85% of the food I eat from the frozen grocery store food. Also lots of sandwiches with chips.

It just bothers me because it makes it seem like a student, living on their own would normally find time to learn to cook all this complicated shit that takes hours to complete and years to msater.

ANIMU DON'T BREAK MY IMMERSION. Make them eat cereal.

As nice as it is to inspire first years, I think speaking realistically to Onoda is best for him since he's a beginner and is unaware of his own limits yet. Looking forward to Onoda to continue exceeding expectations, but the sempai's warning does sound like a bit of foreshadowing, whether for this race or for future races.

But he looked so crushed for a second there :(

cnet128

Banned
Oops, almost forgot to respond to Arti!

Okay, now that we're about halfway through the season it might be neat to take a sec and see not where hype succeeded, but where it failed and where it missed the train in the first place.

What's your biggest disappointment/letdown show of the season so far?
Conversely, what show was a pleasant surprise and is becoming an unexpected favorite?

Biggest disappointment of the season is without a doubt Kyoukai no Kanata. I'd tempered my expectations somewhat knowing that the story came from KyoAni's light novel factory and sounded so generic, but even so the prospect of KyoAni doing an action anime had me quite excited. I didn't expect the anime to make me feel so overwhelmingly apathetic. No KyoAni show has ever done that for me before (Free! came closest, but that was mainly because of the target gender bias, and I venture even that show felt more engaging than KnK does).

Some people seem to think that KnK is just a continuation of an existing pattern, but I don't think there's any comparison between it and the likes of Chuuni or Tamako. Those shows were unambitious and occasionally faltered, but still contained all the charm that I expect from a KyoAni show and were plenty entertaining enough to keep me looking forward to each new episode every week. KnK is far, far worse than either of those shows for me. Hopefully it's just a one-off, and KyoAni will be back on form once they move on to non-KnK material.

Runner-up for biggest disappointment: BlazBlue: Alter Memory, for which I went in with low expectations and the show managed to go even lower.

As for my biggest pleasant surprise of the season… I'd like to say Non Non Biyori, but that would be a lie. I got exactly what I expected out of that show, and it was wonderful. No, the real answer is probably NouCome, which I was expecting to be unimpressive trashy tripe that might be sort of worthwhile for its fun-sounding gimmick, but actually turned out to be the best kind of trashy tripe, whose gimmick was every bit as entertaining as I hoped and whose entertainment value was far higher than it had any right to be.

Runner-up for biggest pleasant surprise: Golden Time, which I had a sort-of good feeling about before the season started, but it was marred by the fact that I found the character designs so unsuited to my tastes, particularly the lead girl. I was in no way expecting all of its characters to charm me so much, and Kouko, who was my biggest worry, turned out to be the best of the lot. I could never have predicted that this would be one of my favourite shows of the season, but there you have it.

CorvoSol

I live and eat like Detective Dick Gumshoe. Noodles and rice.

If it makes you feel any better, I only have a Japanese 3DS, so I have to wait until December 26th. It hurts.

That's how long I have to wait for Super Mario 3D World. Can't wait to play that with my little bro over the break. Gonna be so awesome.

If it makes you guys feel better, I can't afford Zelda! Christmas hooo...

Wasteful misuse of my student loans, hoooooooooooooooo!

Tenumi

Banned
Okay, now that we're about halfway through the season it might be neat to take a sec and see not where hype succeeded, but where it failed and where it missed the train in the first place.

What's your biggest disappointment/letdown show of the season so far?
Conversely, what show was a pleasant surprise and is becoming an unexpected favorite?

Hype train succeeded for me on Kill la Kill. Having much more fun watching that than I even expected to have.

Biggest disappointment? Tie between Infinite Stratos 2 and Kyoukai no Kanata. I expected better from Infinite Stratos 2 after watching the first season right before hand. But its like they took everything that made that enjoyable and tossed it away for generic harem antics.

I like KyoAni. I've liked every show that I've seen from them. But Kyoukai no Kanata didn't grab me like the others did. The characters aren't standing out, and the plot isn't anything to write home about.

Definitely, the pleasant surprise was Non Non Biyori. I really just skimmed over it when looking up what to watch this season. But after seeing good reviews here of it, I had to check it out. Adorableness + Slice of Life = Win for me. Would be my show of the season if Kill la Kill wasn't airing.

I live and eat like Detective Dick Gumshoe. Noodles and rice.

That's how long I have to wait for Super Mario 3D World. Can't wait to play that with my little bro over the break. Gonna be so awesome.

Wasteful misuse of my student loans, hoooooooooooooooo!

I too eat cold noodles at times. Unfortunately, it has led many people to think that I don't have a microwave.

sigh, the wait for 3D World and Zelda begins.

> Ah thank you senpai!

Well if you were intresting since young + living by yourself for a certain amount of time , you can produce those results.

In the end it depends on the ingredients but i'm pretty sure i won't lose to many regular eating places around me.

------------------
Unbreakable machine doll - 04

This fight was pretty cool i guess it had better CG than tokyo ravens ( or blazblue for that matter ) but unlike those 2 it was much better in their usage within the battle.

Yaya is still cute when jealous.

My PS4 finally arrived yesterday (fuck you Amazon you are the worst). Crunchyroll app is great, its a million times better than the PS3 app and honestly runs better than it does on my computer.

I might actually start watching some anime again. Hooray! (I think.)

So what are the best shows on CR this season?

Also if anybody here wants to add me - my PSN is is the same as my Gaffu.

Kyousigiga
Gingitsune (in your into those kinds of shows)

Why is the PS4 CR app so much better than the PS3 one?

if it makes you feel better I could afford Zelda, but I'm buying a PS4 instead.

If it makes you feel even better I could afford a PS4 and Zelda but am not getting either. I'm getting some clothes for Christmas.........

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kyousigiga
Gingitsune (in your into those kinds of shows)

Why is the PS4 CR app so much better than the PS3 one

PS3 app is crap. Stuttering and chugging all over the place, hard locks.

Also being able to switch between NFS: Rivals and Crunchyroll in less than 1 second last night was really sweet. Couldn't do that on the PS3, the whole process was a chore.

cajunator

Banned
I forget that Blazblue anime exists, Makoto wins forever I guess.

Its ok. I would like to forget that anime exists too.
Buy the game.

Unbreakable machine doll - 02 & 03

So let's see :

Yaya is love

Shoko is troll ( i mean WTF )
sending the guy with a power nerfed doll ?

Closed eyes shady guy is shady as usual.

I'm a little disapointed my prime suspect turned out to be the right guy... i guess i should look forward to the fight in ep 4...

Yaya is the only love you need

cajunator

Banned
Runner-up for biggest pleasant surprise: Golden Time, which I had a sort-of good feeling about before the season started, but it was marred by the fact that I found the character designs so unsuited to my tastes, particularly the lead girl. I was in no way expecting all of its characters to charm me so much, and Kouko, who was my biggest worry, turned out to be the best of the lot. I could never have predicted that this would be one of my favourite shows of the season, but there you have it.

This show is turning out to be fantastic. Aside from koko being amazing, it doesnt portray this as a perfect romance in the least. Lots has to be settled before this can work. It will be very interesting to see how it goes.

if it makes you feel better I could afford Zelda, but I'm buying a PS4 instead.

Im buying a 3ds xl with Zelda but holding off on Ps4 until Guilty Gear (or whenever I impulsively hit the buy button)

CorvoSol

I too eat cold noodles at times. Unfortunately, it has led many people to think that I don't have a microwave.

sigh, the wait for 3D World and Zelda begins.

Kitties and doodles yaaaaay! Nintendo always knows how to this kinda thing. Like the Gamecube when it was time to go to the Ocean for Zelda and Mario, or putting Link on a choo choo.

cnet128

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 7

GO ONODA GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

wakuwakuwakuwakuwakuwakuwakuwaku

Kitties and doodles yaaaaay! Nintendo always knows how to this kinda thing. Like the Gamecube when it was time to go to the Ocean for Zelda and Mario, or putting Link on a choo choo.

...Are you trying to imply something negative about Cat Mario and the wall-drawing mechanic? Because those both look great and I won't hear a word against them.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Random question for people still watching Kyoukai no Kanata: was there ever a satisfactory reason given for why
using one's own blood as a weapon
is considered taboo among SUPER WORLD SPIRIT WARRIORS?
I don't think any sort of taboo related to the condition was established, but there might have been something about them being too powerful or something so other people hated them. I dunno, I don't pay attention completely.

cajunator

Banned
Random question for people still watching Kyoukai no Kanata: was there ever a satisfactory reason given for why
using one's own blood as a weapon
is considered taboo among SUPER WORLD SPIRIT WARRIORS? As much as the LN stuff, I bailed because I had such a difficult time wrapping my mind around how this relatively harmless and mundane (in the incredibly broad context of fantasy combat) skill was somehow 2evil for demon hunters. It felt like a blatant contrivance to make whats-her-face a pariah among her own people, and if the events of the show were going to hinge on something that feels incompatible with human logic, I couldn't handle it. Has this ever been brought up again?

It hasnt really but I dunno maybe lifeblood is sacred or something. Perhaps its seen as unnecessary risk to lose your own blood for the sake of using the powers. I wonder what Ryuko would say?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't think any sort of taboo related to the condition was established, but there might have been something about them being too powerful or something so other people hated them. I dunno, I don't pay attention completely.

You might be right and I think I can probably just chalk this up to bad crunchysubs. I rewatched the scene just now using a different translation and she talks about her power being regarded as too dangerous, not taboo. For all I know, I was zoning out at that point already.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 3

nkrQmqA.jpg

Onpu the pervert would fit nicely with Alice/ Cure Rosetta the Voyeur. Surprised we don't have more images of Onpu and a camera

Pop is feeling inferior again... although in one aspect, I understand
because Hana is learning at a faster rate than anyone for school. On the other hand, Hana is going to be Queen, so of course she'll be a powerful magic user. And Pop, you're at level 2. No need to feel inferior.

Will have to say though, not entirely feeling their scheme on things to sell yet, but I need to see what they can weave besides beads and shit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Okay, I see where my issue was with that particular premise point in KnK. I latched onto the phrase "cursed clan" as it seemed an unnecessary additional justification when "they thought we were too powerful and had to eliminate us" was already sufficient. Instead of a calculated preemptive defense, it muddies the justification by introducing the implication that there was something intrinsically evil about whats-her-face's power beyond it just being too strong. That's not quite as bad as it was in my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom