• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAsGwiF.jpg
cCK6hne.jpg

Blazblue Alter Memory 7

Just stuck around for some Terumi trolling and listening to Junichi Suwabe godtier voice as Relius.

Couldn't care less about Tsubaki's jealous tantrum over Noel.

Quasar

PS3 app is crap. Stuttering and chugging all over the place, hard locks.

Also being able to switch between NFS: Rivals and Crunchyroll in less than 1 second last night was really sweet. Couldn't do that on the PS3, the whole process was a chore.

Weird that the ps3 app works as advertised for me. Its always weird for me seeing such different experiences with software on consoles given the same hardware..well aside from revision changes.

cajunator

Banned
Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 3

Pop is feeling inferior again... although in one aspect, I understand
because Hana is learning at a faster rate than anyone for school. On the other hand, Hana is going to be Queen, so of course she'll be a powerful magic user. And Pop, you're at level 2. No need to feel inferior.

Will have to say though, not entirely feeling their scheme on things to sell yet, but I need to see what they can weave besides beads and shit.

:Tomoyo

You might be right and I think I can probably just chalk this up to bad crunchysubs. I rewatched the scene just now using a different translation and she talks about her power being regarded as too dangerous, not taboo. For all I know, I was zoning out at that point already.

It would certainly be highly dangerous to use your own blood for the sake of a weapon or anything really. Even if you have some to spare, youre still using your own blood. If you got wounded in battle that might make the difference between dying from blood loss or not.

jediyoshi

Pocket Monsters: XY 1

jLrKZyJ.png

OEhpIWg.png

Been out of Pokemon since season 8, but it popped up enough on /a/ that it made me curious. Digging the designs and environments. Production value on stuff like the lighting in some scenes was pretty ace, hope it's not just because it's a season premiere. Already digging the sibling duo, was worried after seeing the little sister's character.

cnet128

Banned
I'm implying they're great. They're my two most hyped games now that FEA and PWAA5 are past.

You have a very sarcastic-sounding way of being sincere, then XD Why bring up Spirit Tracks and Sunshine, of all things, as points of comparison? >.> Not that I hate those games or anything, but they're hardly the high points of their respective franchises' history ~.~

Tokyo Ravens 7

Hm. Since when is there a character in this show who looks like the underfed love child of Shishigami Bang and Relius Clover?

I mean, not that I'm complaining!

CorvoSol

You have a very sarcastic-sounding way of being sincere, then XD Why bring up Spirit Tracks and Sunshine, of all things, as points of comparison? >.> Not that I hate those games or anything, but they're hardly the high points of their respective franchises' history ~.~

I actually really like Sunshine. Not as much as Galaxy, but loads and loads and loads and loads more than I do Mario 64. As for Spirit Tracks, while the game has some severe flaws (That EFFING FLUTE, restrictive train travel, sword play and movement mapped to the same creating serious issues in combat, especially the meteor sequence of the final battle) Spirit Tracks also gave me playable Zelda, the BEST Zelda in the series, and that sound track. I honestly had no problem riding the train when this song is playing and you watch the mountains go rolling by.

Spirit Tracks was a flawed game, but nearly so bad as people let on. If they could do a d-pad hack for it the way they did Phantom Hourglass it wouldn't be half bad (well, except that FLUTE FROM HELL.)

My point is just that Nintendo does a great job of picking an idea and making a game around that. For Wind Waker and Sunshine it was "Mario and Link go to the beach" basically, right down to giving both optional beachwear in those games. In Galaxy it's "Mario . . . IN SPACE!!" in Twilight Princess you have "Zelda at sunset and with wolves." Spirit Tracks had trains, and now we have kitties and doodles. I really like it. It's probably why, unlike others, I never really find Zelda or Mario that stale.

Mobile Suit Gundam 7

Forgot to watch this last night. So I just don't know how Bright Noa keeps his cool, really. I mean, dude is under HILARIOUS amounts of stress, running for his life, promoted to cap'n at age 19, has to work with subordinates who are as inexperienced as he is and unruly to boot, constant harassment and threats from his own government, nobody but Mirai, Ryu, Hayato and Frau Bow respect him (Sayla mocks him for being Earthborn, and Kai is an ass, and this is before Amuro takes his daddy issues out on him) and then there are small children just popping onto the bridge for hijinks during battles and to top it all off the goddamn ingrate civilians he's risking his life to save stage a hostage crisis and a sit in DURING A BATTLE.

Bright Noa deserves goddamn medals and what does he get for all his efforts in the One Year War? Punched in the face by Titans. And stuck babysitting Katz AGAIN.

cajunator

Banned
I actually really like Sunshine. Not as much as Galaxy, but loads and loads and loads and loads more than I do Mario 64. As for Spirit Tracks, while the game has some severe flaws (That EFFING FLUTE, restrictive train travel, sword play and movement mapped to the same creating serious issues in combat, especially the meteor sequence of the final battle) Spirit Tracks also gave me playable Zelda, the BEST Zelda in the series, and that sound track. I honestly had no problem riding the train when this song is playing and you watch the mountains go rolling by.

Spirit Tracks was a flawed game, but nearly so bad as people let on. If they could do a d-pad hack for it the way they did Phantom Hourglass it wouldn't be half bad (well, except that FLUTE FROM HELL.)

My point is just that Nintendo does a great job of picking an idea and making a game around that. For Wind Waker and Sunshine it was "Mario and Link go to the beach" basically, right down to giving both optional beachwear in those games. In Galaxy it's "Mario . . . IN SPACE!!" in Twilight Princess you have "Zelda at sunset and with wolves." Spirit Tracks had trains, and now we have kitties and doodles. I really like it. It's probably why, unlike others, I never really find Zelda or Mario that stale.

Mobile Suit Gundam 7

Forgot to watch this last night. So I just don't know how Bright Noa keeps his cool, really. I mean, dude is under HILARIOUS amounts of stress, running for his life, promoted to cap'n at age 19, has to work with subordinates who are as inexperienced as he is and unruly to boot, constant harassment and threats from his own government, nobody but Mirai, Ryu, Hayato and Frau Bow respect him (Sayla mocks him for being Earthborn, and Kai is an ass, and this is before Amuro takes his daddy issues out on him) and then there are small children just popping onto the bridge for hijinks during battles and to top it all off the goddamn ingrate civilians he's risking his life to save stage a hostage crisis and a sit in DURING A BATTLE.

Bright Noa deserves goddamn medals and what does he get for all his efforts in the One Year War? Punched in the face by Titans. And stuck babysitting Katz AGAIN.

Zelda music is so good. It needs another animated series.

Nordicus

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 2-4

Wait, so if I got this right, episode 4 showed that Biribiri here can dish it out... but she can't take it? For fuck's sake. Touma, next fight, make her bawl her eyes out, girl needs to learn not to pull this crap.

Vecks

Yowapeda 7
I really wish these episodes weren't so short. Really wanted to see Onoda catch up at the end. At least we got to see Onoda crush the insignificant, little amateur cyclers.

HxH 105
I wonder if they'll explain how Palm got picked. Did they put her in a batch of uglies? Was it computer based Nen? Did one of the defectors explain the guy's tastes in women?

Hyouka 21

A lot of the respect I've started to get for Satoshi was taken by this episode. What a dick.
Gambare Mayaka...
Also am I the only one that found this totally hot?

It somehow seems fitting for her.

But at least you know why I think Satoshi is the low point. Although he always was for me.

So, ranking the dancing CG from highest quality to worse, between Love Live, Aikatsu, and Precure endings, how does the order go?

I wish I could answer this, but god damn there's a lot to list. madp, do your thing!

EDIT: FUCK, already did.

cnet128

Banned

Hm, well said. I actually agree with you on most of that. The flute in Spirit Tracks actually never really bothered me, and I haaaaaaated Sunshine's beach theme, but that's just personal preference. Liking Sunshine more than 64 is crazy either way, though. You're on your own there.

But yeah, my overall impression of Spirit Tracks was actually pretty positive when I played it, and I distinctly remember defending it from haters with some of the exact same points you used (the music making the train sections enjoyable, in particular!) I guess I must have just got to the point where I've osmotically absorbed so much of the negative attitude towards that game that I automatically assume any reference to it is negative.

Hunter x Hunter 105

I almost feel like I should stop writing impressions for HxH because all I seem to be able to write about it is adulatory praise. One of these days I'm going to write an impression post and it's just going to be "Ooh, yeah, Hunter x Hunter, give it to me, give it to me good!"

Basically what I'm trying to say here is YES. YES. THIS IS AMAZING AND I LOVE IT. That whole scene with the King and Komugi...just yes. There are no words other than yes. My vocabulary has been reduced to a single word. Hunter x Hunter why are you doing this to me.

CorvoSol

Spirit Tracks DEFINITELY has the best Zelda in the series.

Hard to beat the Princess who puts on a suit of armor and giant sword to battle evil as Link's constant companion.

Dual!! Parallel Trouble Adventures 12

Boy, things're definitely heating up toward the finale here, now, aren't they? Giant robots, emotional teenage girls, evil mothers and oh yeah, the fabric of space and time are ripping into tiny little bits and people are all gonna die if Tenchi Muyo/Shinji Ikari does not admit to Asuka that he loves her.

I'd say I feel like I'd seen this before, but this is sort of a pretty standard Super Robot Show finale, right down to Emperor Dornekirk's evil plan to use a girl's feelings for a boy to change the world.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, ranking the dancing CG from highest quality to worse, between Love Live, Aikatsu, and Precure endings, how does the order go?
Aikatsu is like a million times better than the other two when it comes to choreography and consistency.

Hm, well said. I actually agree with you on most of that. The flute in Spirit Tracks actually never really bothered me, and I haaaaaaated Sunshine's beach theme, but that's just personal preference. Liking Sunshine more than 64 is crazy either way, though. You're on your own there.

But yeah, my overall impression of Spirit Tracks was actually pretty positive when I played it, and I distinctly remember defending it from haters with some of the exact same points you used (the music making the train sections enjoyable, in particular!) I guess I must have just got to the point where I've osmotically absorbed so much of the negative attitude towards that game that I automatically assume any reference to it is negative.

I would probably stand with him, but only to an extent. I find SMS more enjoyable when it comes to beating the game itself. 100 percent on the other hand? On your own bud!

I wish Oreki'd gone through with it.

I don't think I'd call him the lowpoint or anything drastic as that. He's a dickhead though yes.

Honestly, before that episode, I already accepted that there would be no violence considering how dickish the Vocaloid cosplayers were. Satoshi wouldn't have gotten hit for what he did... especially considering Oreki's waifu was involved.

Fullmetal Alchemist 14 2003 Dub

This episode has Ed/Al meet Armstrong, Marcoh, and Scar back to back to back. The fight between Armstrong and Scar was pretty awesome though it was interrupted with more scenes of Rose and Liore getting wrecked. Envy's voice in this series is weird, I know it's the same VA as in Brotherhood but like with Roy's va I feel she hasn't grown into the role yet.

Funnily enough the only app or general UI thing that I messed with last night that even used the touchpad was CR.

You can't control the UI with the Touchpad but clicking the button acts as a pause/play button. Better than hitting X!

Sounds cool. Never used CR much on my PS3, and since I'm at Uni i left my PS3 at home. Since I've got a TV now if someone shows some Christmas spirit, and buys me a PS4 I would definitely use that app :)

Not that it would make a big difference since my Tv is barely bigger than my PC screen.

Theonik

Honestly, before that episode, I already accepted that there would be no violence considering how dickish the Vocaloid cosplayers were. Satoshi wouldn't have gotten hit for what he did... especially considering Oreki's waifu was involved.
Oh I know. That doesn't mean I can't feel like people SHOULD have been punched.

cajunator

Banned
2nd'd.

Moe Zelda doesn't compare.

Skyward Sword Zelda > all

The panflute is such an amazing instrument and Spirit Tracks OST put it to really good use.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 2-4

Wait, so if I got this right, episode 4 showed that Biribiri here can dish it out... but she can't take it? For fuck's sake. Touma, next fight, make her bawl her eyes out, girl needs to learn not to pull this crap.

At this point she is scared mostly because she has no clue what his power ( touma ) is .
and touma is like the only student to treat her properly.

Touma is too busy "fuuuko da" to do that :)

Gazoinks

Its a really good game actually. Just kind of repetitive tropical scenes which can get really old. Not enough variety.

Yeah, I can see that. Especially compared to Mario64's paintings, which means they could basically make the levels whatever. I do like how all of the levels all feel part of one big island in Sunshine, but it can get monotonous yeah.

I hope Nintendo makes a return to the less linear-style 3D Mario games. Galaxy is great, but I really liked how in Sunshine and 64 you could just kind of run around and find bonus stars and stuff.

CorvoSol

Bakemonogatari 4

Show is so damn weird. I can't tell if I'm not smart enough, artsy enough, Japanese enough, or crazy enough to get like, half the things that manic pixie dream girl says, nor why the show keeps going black-red-black-red-black-red and basically ol Penis Hair the Blue Macaw is the only sort of sane thing going on.

DiGiKerot

In my failed search on Amazon for the "Umakoshi Yoshihiko Toei Animation Works" (working on limitations here), I came across a book called "Who is Killing the Great Capes of Heropa?" by Andrew Bergen. And there's like a few pages talking about Precure... primarily Heartcatch Precure.

WELL now, that's interesting.

Yeah, it doesn't look to be on the US Amazon, alas, though obviously it's on the Japanese one (two of those user images totally aren't from the book!). I picked it up at Otakon over the summer, and it's a really nice book. Makes me think that I should watch DoReMi at some point, but the sheer number of episodes is something I find a little overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom