• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyouka 22

A pretty good episode overall though some nice moments and great visual direction barring the above example. The episode also had some nice moments with Oreki and Chitanda again and some sort of conclusion to the last episode's events.
However it also felt a bit underwhelming to be honest. It didn't feel like an ending at all which I know why it is so but I can't help to be annoyed by. The show just kinda ends.
S2 where.

I thought this episode provided a good capstone for Oreki's character development, which had always been the focal point of the show. It emphasized how far he had come from his grey life at the beginning - perhaps the episode was so colorful specifically to point that out. It also shows how far he's come in his thinking about Chitanda, from someone he wants to get rid of as soon as possible to someone he's seriously contemplating spending the rest of his life with. It's certainly no "the story ends here" ending, but it's sufficiently reflective that I think it works as a stopping point. I certainly would welcome a season 2 if it could manage to expand on the characterization that was so excellently presented, but I won't feel cheated if one never comes, as will likely be the case.

Theonik

I thought this episode provided a good capstone for Oreki's character development, which had always been the focal point of the show. It emphasized how far he had come from his grey life at the beginning - perhaps the episode was so colorful specifically to point that out. It also shows how far he's come in his thinking about Chitanda, from someone he wants to get rid of as soon as possible to someone he's seriously contemplating spending the rest of his life with. It's certainly no "the story ends here" ending, but it's sufficiently reflective that I think it works as a stopping point. I certainly would welcome a season 2 if it could manage to expand on the characterization that was so excellently presented, but I won't feel cheated if one never comes, as will likely be the case.
Oh, make no mistake, it does show how far the characters have come certainly. I just wanted more...

I'm still haunted by duckrolls fat mayka revelation.....

Do I want to know.

Actually mentioned some of this in my commentary for this episode.

Also a reminder of things they stopped trying to beat into your head after the first few episodes.

Super Seisyun Brothers 10

zDLybYTl.jpg

Totally not going to interrogate them on their secret love lives with each other.

Oh, make no mistake, it does show how far the characters have come certainly. I just wanted more...

I feel like leaving you wanting more is something that most good endings will do. Hyouka's final episode might not have resolved every last thing, and it certainly leaves plenty of room for a future season to expand on things (*sobs*), but it does a great job of showing just how far the characters have evolved.

Fullmetal Alchemist 17 2003 Dub

Don't forget 10/3/10

Winry is such an incredible character, her relationship with Ed really is one of the highlights of the series. Armstrong continues to be a hilarious goofball that steals every scene he's in.

I feel like leaving you wanting more is something that most good endings will do.

I don't know that I'd put it that way, but I think good endings often do give the impression that "the story continues", that the fictional world and characters exist beyond the confines of the presented narrative. Especially in a naturalistic character drama, creating the illusion that the characters have lives they continue living aside from what we see is important.

Super Seisyun Brothers 10

zDLybYTl.jpg

Totally not going to interrogate them on their secret love lives with each other.

I don't get what this anime is about. From the other people who watch it they make it seem like it's yaoi/yuri lol.

I don't know that I'd put it that way, but I think good endings often do give the impression that "the story continues", that the fictional world and characters exist beyond the confines of the presented narrative. Especially in a naturalistic character drama, creating the illusion that the characters have lives they continue living aside from what we see is important.
I gotta agree here. This is why encapsulated stories work so well. Fate Zero worked well because you know it won't be the last Holy Grail War. Star Wars ended on a happy note but you know there other issues in the universe that need to be resolved. Adam Sandler ended his life. That last one is not a movie, but you know it'd be a great ending as we'd all live on happily ever after.

cajunator

Banned
It's based 110% on things everyone can know.

So the only Mazin show I've seen so far is Shin Mazinger Z, but I have been meaning to ask and this reminded me: what's the deal with everyone referring to Baron Asura as an "it"? I mean, Asura appears to be half male, half female, and while I suppose there aren't pronouns for that in the Japanese language (or a lot of languages for that matter), couldn't they have used a plural, since Asura is like, two people stuck together? Or does it not matter because Asura is a monster? Although I gotta say, after hearing Zeus destroyed Asura's home, that's hard to believe.

indeed its logic but I have a hard time recognizing references.

I'm still haunted by duckrolls fat mayka revelation.....

why does this scream :wonzo to me??? hahaha.

Fat Mayaka would have been so much better.

Uchouten Kazoku 10

This had the least interesting layouts overall of the series, which makes sense since it was storyboarded by some random no-name guy. It also had character art that was below average, since it was outsourced to Magic Bus, who clearly had trouble making this episode considering the unusually large number of seven animation directors. But they did make sure that the most important scene, the flashback, had solid visuals. It had some layouts that were more in keeping with the show's usual standard as well.

vu0MMa0.jpg

This was my favorite, the iron bars of the cage looming ominously over the two brothers.

Narratively, I like how said scene brought together threads which until now had been disparate - Benten and the Friday Fellows, Soichiro's death, the Nise-emon elections. Excited to see what the climax has to offer.

I don't get what this anime is about. From the other people who watch it they make it seem like it's yaoi/yuri lol.

It's pretty much the nonsense adventures of two close guy friends and two close girl friends. It is five minutes long which means even this mundane idea is still watchable.

Ookiku Furikabutte - The Summer Tournament Chapter 12.5

Even though I wasn't all that interested in all the focus on the other team, the whole come up with a team goal made the whole episode worth it.

• AnimeGAF END
Well, I've only been around in this thread for about half a year but it feels like its gone by way too fast. I am really going to miss seeing everyone's impressions on all these shows that I otherwise never would have been exposed to.

I'm leaving for a 2 years as a missionary for my church, and won't have access to the internet in that time so it's the end of me on GAF and watching anime for a while.

I haven't seen THAT many shows this year, and I'm not entirely sure how the AOTY thing really goes but if I had to put in my vote for my favorite this year I'm going to have to go with Hataraku Maou-sama. I really enjoyed every episode as I watched it and was always excited for the next episode to come on.

I can't say I enjoyed the legendary School Days but I think watching that left the greatest impression on me so thanks for the recommendation. Ech. Now in terms of what I really enjoyed the most its a toss up between Gurren Lagann and Madoka Magica. I don't know if I'd be able to watch Madoka again, though.

Going to miss all the friends that I made in this thread. Thanks for wearing the Kamina glasses after all this time guys, making all those dumb edits to your avatars made me feel like I was part of something.

And thanks for laughing and crying with me watching so many amazing shows.

I think watching anime has been a social thing for me, since I can't really watch a show anymore without wanting to see how other people felt about the same show. It was really fun following the Spring, Summer and Fall 2013 seasons with GAF. Looking forward to being back for the Fall/Winter 2015 season in this thread!
AnimeGAF receives a score of
12 Sword Art Online |OT|s
Or
6/5 :cajuns

cajunator

Banned
  • AnimeGAF END

Well, I've only been around in this thread for about half a year but it feels like its gone by way too fast. I am really going to miss seeing everyone's impressions on all these shows that I otherwise never would have been exposed to.

I'm leaving for a 2 years as a missionary for my church, and won't have access to the internet in that time so it's the end of me on GAF and watching anime for a while.

I haven't seen THAT many shows this year, and I'm not entirely sure how the AOTY thing really goes but if I had to put in my vote for my favorite this year I'm going to have to go with Hataraku Maou-sama. I really enjoyed every episode as I watched it and was always excited for the next episode to come on.

I can't say I enjoyed the legendary School Days but I think watching that left the greatest impression on me so thanks for the recommendation. Ech. Now in terms of what I really enjoyed the most its a toss up between Gurren Lagann and Madoka Magica. I don't know if I'd be able to watch Madoka again, though.

Going to miss all the friends that I made in this thread. Thanks for wearing the Kamina glasses after all this time guys, making all those dumb edits to your avatars made me feel like I was part of something.

I think watching anime has been a social thing for me, since I can't really watch a show anymore without wanting to see how other people felt about the same show. It was really fun following the Spring, Summer and Fall 2013 seasons with GAF. Looking forward to being back for the Fall/Winter 2015 season in this thread!
Or

We're gonna miss youuuuuuu :(

*huuuuuuuuuuuuuugs

take care of yourself okay?

• AnimeGAF END

Or

Take care. Hopefully this place will still be around in 2015.

Howdy all, how's the new KyoAni show of the season? Kyoukai no whatever. That one. I'm being compelled to watch it by a friend.

Get a better friend.

Howdy all, how's the new KyoAni show of the season? Kyoukai no whatever. That one. I'm being compelled to watch it by a friend.

The animeGAF hivemind says it's a bad show that is struggling to be good. I kind of agree. It's popular with many other websites that discuss anime though. So maybe we're just cynical over Kyoani not being as good as before.

• AnimeGAF END

Or

Didn't really talk to you much as I'm a newbie, but wish you all the best.

Gazoinks

The animeGAF hivemind says it's a bad show that is struggling to be good. I kind of agree. It's popular with many other websites that discuss anime though. So maybe we're just cynical over Kyoani not being as good as before.

I've never watched another KyoAni show and found the first episode pretty blech, if that means anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So an ANNCast that is kind of relevant to me:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-11-19

They did an episode all about being burned out on anime, because Bamboo, one of their editors, is stopping her weekly review column due to being burned out.

For me, it's more time, but I will say, from the season where I watched at least the first episode of every single show of the season to just watching three or four shows, there is a bit of relief.

I hope I'll have the time to go back and watch KLK or even give the noitaminA's a chance, but I know in my heart that will happen about the same time I finish Utena or Bebop. lol

Unbreakable machine doll - 05

Clumsy moe is quite painfull to watch ..

Yaya jealousy is still a thing but it seems that the 3rd sister is quite the playmate too ...

Won't happen but i like the idea that one day he will be able to fight with all 3 of them.... would be cool to watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
  • AnimeGAF END

Or

Good luck on your mission and hope you come back eventually!
I've seen quite a few people just disappear from the thread, so it's nice of you to give us a bit of a goodbye. :)

• AnimeGAF END

Or

Stay safe my friend! Take a dose of this before you leave.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's alright. Watching it and subsequently discussing it with my boyfriend (who's the one who encouraged me to watch it) has been a good use of my time, personally. I should catch up on it though.

• AnimeGAF END

Or

Damn , i wish you the best ... your account is still there so remember to come and say something when you get back

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Grabbing that lurative tragedy moe sword wielding loli market. Like how Free was gunning for the shounen haato ambiguouly gay sports market.

So an ANNCast that is kind of relevant to me:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-11-19

They did an episode all about being burned out on anime, because Bamboo, one of their editors, is stopping her weekly review column due to being burned out.

For me, it's more time, but I will say, from the season where I watched at least the first episode of every single show of the season to just watching three or four shows, there is a bit of relief.

I hope I'll have the time to go back and watch KLK or even give the noitaminA's a chance, but I know in my heart that will happen about the same time I finish Utena or Bebop. lol

It's pretty obvious that the main reason people get burnt out on anime is because they feel some obligation to watch everything. Of course, that means you'll be taking up most of your time watching crap, which means that you'll lose sight of the good stuff, which means you'll start to think the whole medium is crap, which means you get burned out. Be selective, folks!

Mature

• AnimeGAF END

Or
Thanks for hanging out. Good luck and stay safe on your trip!

Be selective, folks!
Good advice right here.

• AnimeGAF END

Or

x8utDJR.jpg
zEFD12W.png

it's time to go...

Can't believe you have to go ._. These next two years will probably be a new land when you come back to grace us ._. I enjoyed the antics that you put on with Yayoi and the Wolfrun gags, so it feels like a part of me will be missing from here.

I hope your journey gives you new insight on life, and that you will return safely to us so that we can embrace you once more with feeling.

I am happy that you have informed us at least, so that way it doesn't feel like you left because of something someone did, so that we can send you off properly. I give Yayoi and may Onpu bless your absence.

6NIcX4C.png

2Ud1A

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I imagine writers for websites will experience burn out far faster than your average viewer because they are obligated to watch everything and expound upon them at length. Once a hobby becomes a job it's difficult to avoid burnout.

At least bloggers can be selective about the things they write about and watchers like us can drop things entirely and no one would bat an eye.

Phi Brain 3 Episode 7
tumblr_mwesoh4zYF1qmzddso1_500.jpg

Perpetually late, but Freecell needs to keep this look really good as a student/worker now.

Favorite part of the episode was Enigma
making that stunning surprised causing Melancholy to not only fall but to be cast into the puzzle and work with Freecell as well. He was onto her games and just threw things back on track. Kind of laughed amid the feelings of being shocked for it. So far, easily become best Phi Brain antagonist

Syrinx

• AnimeGAF END

Or
Good luck and stay safe, peace.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
  • AnimeGAF END

Or

Stay safe and I hope you have the time of your life! =D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I imagine writers for websites will experience burn out far faster than your average viewer because they are obligated to watch everything and expound upon them at length. Once a hobby becomes a job it's difficult to avoid burnout.

At least bloggers can be selective about the things they write about and watchers like us can drop things entirely and no one would bat an eye.
I don't think ANN writers are obligated to watch much. They seem to be able to grab a handful of whatever shows they feel like from the season, and most run articles that are self-curated. I'll be interested to listen to the podcast, but I expect to find awkward conflicting information as people turn themselves into victims or something. They are very good at that.

Somehow ANN's staff writers have a knack for ignoring quality shows during their preview guides, instead choosing to fill them up with loads of absolute trash.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's pretty obvious that the main reason people get burnt out on anime is because they feel some obligation to watch everything. Of course, that means you'll be taking up most of your time watching crap, which means that you'll lose sight of the good stuff, which means you'll start to think the whole medium is crap, which means you get burned out. Be selective, folks!
Part of that is probably specific to animegaf, inasmuch as that the community here isn't big enough to support watching single shows, so to feel a part of the stream, you need to follow a larger number of shows. (Well, except for K-On GAF apparently lol). There isn't enough people to support any of the single show threads, partly because of this thread, and partly because it's usually just 4 or 5 people in the show specific threads. Compare that to the 3D TV shows that have OTs for half seasons.

Since I've checked out of the thread for a while, there is a lot less pressure to just keep up in order to join the conversation at the very least... but of course, I also just feel bad for not watching shows that I would want to watch normally. I do want to watch more shows again, but I don't know if or how that will happen.

Hattori

Banned
  • AnimeGAF END

Or

Bye Peace :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Well, the flip side is that I assume sites like Random Curiosity are still doing what they've always been doing. lol
But yeah, it's why ANN is giving up that column (which I've never read, so I actually don't know what it's about).

I will say, at least Zac agrees that weekly recap culture is really not interesting criticism. The problem with blogs is that if you don't have something new every day/week/whatever, people just stop coming. With movie blogs, it's easy, because you just watch a new movie every week and review it. 2 hours + a few hours writing. TV is really not set up for that kind of review format.

(Let's not even mention games).

zeroshiki

• AnimeGAF END
Or

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we're gonna miss you. You're right. Watching something becomes more fun when watching with other people. That is definitely true.

Stay safe and seeya in a few years.

cajunator

Banned
Part of that is probably specific to animegaf, inasmuch as that the community here isn't big enough to support watching single shows, so to feel a part of the stream, you need to follow a larger number of shows. (Well, except for K-On GAF apparently lol). There isn't enough people to support any of the single show threads, partly because of this thread, and partly because it's usually just 4 or 5 people in the show specific threads. Compare that to the 3D TV shows that have OTs for half seasons.

Since I've checked out of the thread for a while, there is a lot less pressure to just keep up in order to join the conversation at the very least... but of course, I also just feel bad for not watching shows that I would want to watch normally. I do want to watch more shows again, but I don't know if or how that will happen.

My approach is to watch a variety of shows and follow at my own pace. Im caught up with some and behind in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom