• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I will say, at least Zac agrees that weekly recap culture is really not interesting criticism. The problem with blogs is that if you don't have something new every day/week/whatever, people just stop coming. With movie blogs, it's easy, because you just watch a new movie every week and review it. 2 hours + a few hours writing. TV is really not set up for that kind of review format.
You can make up for that with showmanship, especially when the content you're reviewing is unable to generate substantial discussion.

Although eventually you get to a point where video game/anime reviews stop being about the subject and become more like stand-up comedy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My approach is to watch a variety of shows and follow at my own pace. Im caught up with some and behind in others.
On the one hand, the community drives me to watch shows, but I also feel bad for bringing up old shows here. I will say, it's much easier to watch something from this season that I'm a few weeks behind on because I don't post as much as I used to.

You can make up for that with showmanship, especially when the content you're reviewing is unable to generate substantial discussion.

Although eventually you get to a point where video game/anime reviews stop being about the subject and become more like stand-up comedy.
Other than Armond White, who is truly a master troll, I don't really find written reviews to be all that interesting anymore. You have to really be over the top to stand out, because TV reviews almost always end up being summary and snark.

Unbreakable machine doll - 06

So this battle that should have been decisive will last longer because "feelings" ? "fear" ?

Damn this is really the 100 vs 99 fight ..the road to #1 is long indeed.

• AnimeGAF END

Well, I've only been around in this thread for about half a year but it feels like its gone by way too fast. I am really going to miss seeing everyone's impressions on all these shows that I otherwise never would have been exposed to.

I'm leaving for a 2 years as a missionary for my church, and won't have access to the internet in that time so it's the end of me on GAF and watching anime for a while.

I haven't seen THAT many shows this year, and I'm not entirely sure how the AOTY thing really goes but if I had to put in my vote for my favorite this year I'm going to have to go with Hataraku Maou-sama. I really enjoyed every episode as I watched it and was always excited for the next episode to come on.

I can't say I enjoyed the legendary School Days but I think watching that left the greatest impression on me so thanks for the recommendation. Ech. Now in terms of what I really enjoyed the most its a toss up between Gurren Lagann and Madoka Magica. I don't know if I'd be able to watch Madoka again, though.

Going to miss all the friends that I made in this thread. Thanks for wearing the Kamina glasses after all this time guys, making all those dumb edits to your avatars made me feel like I was part of something.

And thanks for laughing and crying with me watching so many amazing shows.

I think watching anime has been a social thing for me, since I can't really watch a show anymore without wanting to see how other people felt about the same show. It was really fun following the Spring, Summer and Fall 2013 seasons with GAF. Looking forward to being back for the Fall/Winter 2015 season in this thread!
AnimeGAF receives a score of
12 Sword Art Online |OT|s
Or
6/5 :cajuns

Adios, amigo. Good luck on your mission

Part of that is probably specific to animegaf, inasmuch as that the community here isn't big enough to support watching single shows, so to feel a part of the stream, you need to follow a larger number of shows. (Well, except for K-On GAF apparently lol). There isn't enough people to support any of the single show threads, partly because of this thread, and partly because it's usually just 4 or 5 people in the show specific threads. Compare that to the 3D TV shows that have OTs for half seasons.

Since I've checked out of the thread for a while, there is a lot less pressure to just keep up in order to join the conversation at the very least... but of course, I also just feel bad for not watching shows that I would want to watch normally. I do want to watch more shows again, but I don't know if or how that will happen.

If that's your problem, you should head over to animesuki. Plenty of single show threads (or forums) with discussion there!

I felt burned out with anime once (although more with the anime fan community than with anime per se), and so I just took a break from it and this thread for a while. Since I came back to it, I've just been watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it and posting impressions, conversation be damned. Really, the reason why I like this community as a mega-thread is because it's possible to get conversation going about older shows at times. If you feel like you have to watch something that's currently "hot" simply so you can talk about it with others and not because you're actually interested in it, you're already on the path to burnout.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
  • AnimeGAF END

Well, I've only been around in this thread for about half a year but it feels like its gone by way too fast. I am really going to miss seeing everyone's impressions on all these shows that I otherwise never would have been exposed to.

I'm leaving for a 2 years as a missionary for my church, and won't have access to the internet in that time so it's the end of me on GAF and watching anime for a while.

I haven't seen THAT many shows this year, and I'm not entirely sure how the AOTY thing really goes but if I had to put in my vote for my favorite this year I'm going to have to go with Hataraku Maou-sama. I really enjoyed every episode as I watched it and was always excited for the next episode to come on.

I can't say I enjoyed the legendary School Days but I think watching that left the greatest impression on me so thanks for the recommendation. Ech. Now in terms of what I really enjoyed the most its a toss up between Gurren Lagann and Madoka Magica. I don't know if I'd be able to watch Madoka again, though.

Going to miss all the friends that I made in this thread. Thanks for wearing the Kamina glasses after all this time guys, making all those dumb edits to your avatars made me feel like I was part of something.

I think watching anime has been a social thing for me, since I can't really watch a show anymore without wanting to see how other people felt about the same show. It was really fun following the Spring, Summer and Fall 2013 seasons with GAF. Looking forward to being back for the Fall/Winter 2015 season in this thread!
Or

I wish you the best of luck and safe travels. :)

• AnimeGAF END

Or

Farewell fellow Gaffer. You shall forever remain a part of AnimeGAF no matter where you go.

You will be missed. Good luck to your future endeavors!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What kind of degenerate would enjoy talking to people like us anyway?

Exactly.

(Firehawk just wants to be part of your world.)
When do I get legs?!

If that's your problem, you should head over to animesuki. Plenty of single show threads (or forums) with discussion there!

I felt burned out with anime once (although more with the anime fan community than with anime per se), and so I just took a break from it and this thread for a while. Since I came back to it, I've just been watching what I want to watch when I want to watch it and posting impressions, conversation be damned. Really, the reason why I like this community as a mega-thread is because it's possible to get conversation going about older shows at times. If you feel like you have to watch something that's currently "hot" simply so you can talk about it with others and not because you're actually interested in it, you're already on the path to burnout.
I've been to animesuki and I've posted in a few threads, but of course, it's a matter of trying to fit into a new group and such. I mean, same thing with reddit and 4chan I suppose.

I think if GAF still had the "who quoted me" feature, this thread would be a bit more useful for posting about "old" anime. But going through 20 pages of the thread after not coming for a day or so just gets to be a bit too much for me unfortunately. It makes it hard to find replies unless I'm just mashing refresh every 5-10 minutes anyway!

Haly

When do I get legs?!

When you give up your posting privilages.

Maybe we need an "Old Anime |OT| Veterans of the One Year War" where it's only old shows at least 10 years or older and everyone can relax and discuss anime at a slow pace while sipping whiskey and cosplaying Gundam UC characters.

Narag

Maybe we need an "Old Anime |OT| Veterans of the One Year War" where it's only old shows at least 10 years or older and everyone can relax and discuss anime at a slow pace while sipping whiskey and cosplaying Gundam UC characters.

dibs on scirocco

Tokyo Ravens 7
So that other guy is
part orc .
A bit interesting. The monsters look cool. Not much else aside from some sort of monster hunster

I think if GAF still had the "who quoted me" feature, this thread would be a bit more useful for posting about "old" anime. But going through 20 pages of the thread after not coming for a day or so just gets to be a bit too much for me unfortunately. It makes it hard to find replies unless I'm just mashing refresh every 5-10 minutes anyway!

Or you can just search the thread for the name of the show you posted about, since it'll catch the posts of anyone who quoted you. That's what I do anyway.

I don't know that I'd put it that way, but I think good endings often do give the impression that "the story continues", that the fictional world and characters exist beyond the confines of the presented narrative. Especially in a naturalistic character drama, creating the illusion that the characters have lives they continue living aside from what we see is important.

Yes, I suppose that's one way of putting it.

I've just always felt that generally (not exclusively), the endings which I enjoy the most are those which feel satisfying as a conclusion, but also leave me wanting more. In the sense of 'this story is done, but I want to know what happens next'. Something that allows me to imagine a future for those characters and that world, even if it isn't one that will ever be told, rather than something which tries to wrap every single thing up, and tell me what happened to these characters for the rest of their lives (I generally hate epilogues for this reason, although some stories have used epilogues effectively).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Poorly done it can be sort of exhaust itself, but I think there's merit to having something that becomes a more comprehensive analysis that covers an entire series. It sure beats peeking in on the worst shows of every season to constantly lament about the state of anime.
Ugh, when Zac keeps insisting that all anime is shit and that Red Line is the best anime in years, I hate myself.
That said, I haven't read a TV review in a few years. Even the "biggest" recap critics, Sepinwall et al, can't make it interesting enough to want to read.

The problem is getting people to read that thread. Because otherwise, it just turns into a show OT that people copypasta their reviews into and then ignore in lieu of the main anime OT.

cajunator

Banned
Miss Monochrome Episode 8 - Winner

Manager definitely has his hands full with her, hes apologized so much this season.

Miss Monochrome has turned out to be surprisingly enjoyable. Very cute too.

On the one hand, the community drives me to watch shows, but I also feel bad for bringing up old shows here. I will say, it's much easier to watch something from this season that I'm a few weeks behind on because I don't post as much as I used to.

Other than Armond White, who is truly a master troll, I don't really find written reviews to be all that interesting anymore. You have to really be over the top to stand out, because TV reviews almost always end up being summary and snark.

I still blind buy some shows on bluray so I definitely catch up on some things very late.

Haly

The problem is getting people to read that thread. Because otherwise, it just turns into a show OT that people copypasta their reviews into and then ignore in lieu of the main anime OT.
It's a hard life for a veteran in this thankless post-revolutionary world.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ugh, when Zac keeps insisting that all anime is shit and that Red Line is the best anime in years, I hate myself.
That said, I haven't read a TV review in a few years. Even the "biggest" recap critics, Sepinwall et al, can't make it interesting enough to want to read.
I'm in the same boat in that I don't read many TV reviews, but I think that has less to do with the cyclical scheduling and more to do with my apathy towards reviews that often come from professional outlets.

wonzo

Banned
Just ban the discussion of shows with:
  • their own OT
  • fit the criteria of whatever genre/age threads
from this thread. Simple.

Mature

Gundam Build Fighters 1-2
q6zcVGb.jpg
Well, this was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Though I feel like there's a tremendous amount of fanservice that's being wasted on someone like me who hasn't seen much Gundam. So long as we get more Ral, I'm sticking with this show. I dig that old guy... and Rinko.

Branduil

Thread A and Thread B

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
  • their own OT

I talked to Duckroll about this before, he is against allowing people to post where they want to post.

Edit: Crap, double post.

I might be new here but what's the problem of just having an anime thread for discussion of anime in general with a focus on new shows? That's what we've been doing so far. Personally I don't see the problem but maybe there's a rule against it, fuck if I know. I know that I don't want to have to jump across threads to discuss anime so that's why I don't check out OT threads. Just my two cents.

Ojamajo Onpu Dokkaan! 5

Onpu sure does have her work cut out for her. Feels like she has more focus... even if it's only because of Planet of the Onpus (and biased screenshots)

Hana apparently made Onpu's job better because of her childish personality, which is basically Real Onpu or something.... But Hana made a promise and broke them!

Onpu also told Momoko to shut up. She had a reason (in the spoiler), but Onpu gains ENGLISH LESSONS! WHICH GAVE US MORE ENGLISH MOMOKO!

...yet I have bad feelings in regards to Onpu considering how this episode started off.

I talked to Duckroll about this before, he is against allowing people to post where they want to post.

Edit: Crap, double post.

He's against it?

I might be new here but what's the problem of just having an anime thread for discussion of anime in general with a focus on new shows? That's what we've been doing so far. Personally I don't see the problem but maybe there's a rule against it, fuck if I know. I know that I don't want to have to jump across threads to discuss anime so that's why I don't check out OT threads. Just my two cents.

OTs work well when they attract posters from outside of the AnimeGaf regulars. For less popular shows, there's little reason to post in them when they end up 80% cross posts from here.

Soma

Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA 1-8

I don't know what it is about this stupid show that keeps me watching so much of it. The production values and comedy aren't even that great a lot of the time but there's something so charming about the characters.

also episode 7 totally did not help me with my ShinoXTsuda shipping

Oh well, Season 2 should be fun.

Syrinx

Ouran HIgh School Host Club 24

I really love the dynamics between the characters in this show.

It was always curious about how people as different as Tamaki and Kyoya became friends. And it really was great to watch how their relationship developed and how Tamaki just completely turned Kyoya's world upside-down. Every time Kyoya, who thought he had an impeccable ability to judge other people while concealing himself, thought he had Tamaki figured out, Tamaki would completely destroy whatever he had come up with. And then Tamaki came in and read Kyoya like a book, like it was nothing. And then he proceeded to change the frustrated and defeated view of life that Kyoya had. That last shot in that flashback with Kyoya painting that giant flower around the picture frame was so perfect, because it's such a culmination of how thoroughly foolish little Tamaki had changed him. Once he used to think that he was only constrained to paint on the canvas his brother had already painted on inside the frame his other brother had already set up. Now he's let go of those restrictions and aspires to go even higher than them.

Between Kyoya and the twins and Honey-senpai, Tamaki has the uncanny ability to teach people the lessons they need to learn in order for them to be truly happy. He hasn't really had one of these with Haruhi yet though. The only part that really came close was the scene where she went and hid in the closet. Perhaps the lack of one of these is indicative of how Tamaki feels about Haruhi. Or they're saving that for the ending.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still blind buy some shows on bluray so I definitely catch up on some things very late.
Ever since RightStuf changed their shipping policies, I haven't done that in a year.

It's a hard life for a veteran in this thankless post-revolutionary world.
Life was simpler back in 2009. :(

I'm in the same boat in that I don't read many TV reviews, but I think that has less to do with the cyclical scheduling and more to do with my apathy towards reviews that often come from professional outlets.
Slate, Onion AV club, etc. Movies seem to be the only medium that can survive the grind of clickbait review scheduling, but even then, I just rely on podcasts now.

• their own OT
The problem with that is that then you lose the sense of discovery, because if you don't actively go into the OT, you will never find out about the show. Although maybe a show that rates an OT is worth reading? I dunno. lol

wonzo

Banned
The problem with that is that then you lose the sense of discovery, because if you don't actively go into the OT, you will never find out about the show. Although maybe a show that rates an OT is worth reading? I dunno. lol
Yeah, it's pretty much completely unworkable. Now if this was MangaGAF and split threads between the Big 3 and everything else…
YOU HAD ONE JOB DRESDEN *shakes fist*

edit: Speaking of OT's, I'm claiming the Inari, Konkon one

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Just maintain the status quo because I don't feel like dancing around arbitrary barriers that force me to constantly monitor what I say in here. The thread's not perfect, but the all-encompassing megathread format still creates a unique discussion environment that doesn't exist anywhere else on the internet. It's why I'm here.

Anybody know of any other shows with a relationship similar to Satoru and Haru from Gingitsune? I still insist they are the better pair characters in this show. Such a sweet and sour relationship.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
  • AnimeGAF END

Or

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/c/c8/Soldier_HatOverHeartTaunt05.wav

Articalys

Couple more of Sentai's January releases got their full box/disc art reveals:

Casshan
Medaka Box Abnormal

Also laughed at this excerpt from the last bit of the back copy for the latter:
Get ready for action, violence and gorgeous girls the way only Studio Gainax can make them as the hits, grins, jiggles and girls gone wild enter the berserker stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom