• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ouran HIgh School Host Club 24

I really love the dynamics between the characters in this show.

It was always curious about how people as different as Tamaki and Kyoya became friends. And it really was great to watch how their relationship developed and how Tamaki just completely turned Kyoya's world upside-down. Every time Kyoya, who thought he had an impeccable ability to judge other people while concealing himself, thought he had Tamaki figured out, Tamaki would completely destroy whatever he had come up with. And then Tamaki came in and read Kyoya like a book, like it was nothing. And then he proceeded to change the frustrated and defeated view of life that Kyoya had. That last shot in that flashback with Kyoya painting that giant flower around the picture frame was so perfect, because it's such a culmination of how thoroughly foolish little Tamaki had changed him. Once he used to think that he was only constrained to paint on the canvas his brother had already painted on inside the frame his other brother had already set up. Now he's let go of those restrictions and aspires to go even higher than them.

Between Kyoya and the twins and Honey-senpai, Tamaki has the uncanny ability to teach people the lessons they need to learn in order for them to be truly happy. He hasn't really had one of these with Haruhi yet though. The only part that really came close was the scene where she went and hid in the closet. Perhaps the lack of one of these is indicative of how Tamaki feels about Haruhi. Or they're saving that for the ending.

I love this series. Too bad we'll never get a true HD release.

cajunator

Banned
When you give up your posting privilages.

Maybe we need an "Old Anime |OT| Veterans of the One Year War" where it's only old shows at least 10 years or older and everyone can relax and discuss anime at a slow pace while sipping whiskey and cosplaying Gundam UC characters.

I am ok with this.

Same thing here, actually. Hence why I'm usually a little late on watching new episodes, and my erratic watching schedule.

I usually watch most anime with a friend in town on crunchyroll. That or bringing over shows to watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it's pretty much completely unworkable. Now if this was MangaGAF and split threads between the Big 3 and everything else…
YOU HAD ONE JOB DRESDEN *shakes fist*

edit: Speaking of OT's, I'm claiming the Inari, Konkon one
If K-On GAF exists, why not Shounen-GAF? lol

Just maintain the status quo because I don't feel like dancing around arbitrary barriers that force me to constantly monitor what I say in here. The thread's not perfect, but the all-encompassing megathread format still creates a unique discussion environment that doesn't exist anywhere else on the internet. It's why I'm here.
It's why I liked the thread back in 09/10. But it's just so massive now that if you don't watch something the day it airs, you pretty much are out of the loop.
I suppose that's on me more than on the thread though.

Syrinx

Ouran High School Host Club 25

Oh wow that story about how Tamaki ended up coming to Japan was way more heartbreaking than I could have imagined. It really is a wonder how he's managed to be so cheerful up until now after having to deal with that.

NO TAMAKI DON"T WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! You can't go with that Eclair cunt! Noooooooooooooooo! You know it's not what you want guy, you know it's Haruhi who has your heart noooooooooooo. I can confirm to you that you will be miserable forever if you marry that cold bitch. Also I have it on good authority that her vagina is colder than a chicken's beak while pecking at snow in the Alps. Don't do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh really Mr. Podcaster?
Firewall and Iceberg and Extra Hot Great are fine for TV news/reviews surprisingly. Although even Hitfix can't resist the youtube money and are moving to video content, which I think I hate more than written reviews. lol

Branduil

RokoSaikaru 1

This was bad anime. Not even a yandere A.I. motorcycle can make up for the terrible characters and ugly CGI animation.

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo 5

VQuyaVj.jpg

KIDS SHOW

Oh god.

I thought my google safe search was on.

I... I searched for images of Grizzly-san from Shirokuma Cafe.

Internet, you can't let me have ONE fucking sense of childhood wonder without rule 34'ing it.... :'(

Oh god.

Internet, you can't let me have ONE fucking sense of childhood wonder without rule 34'ing it.... :'(

Isn't that just Bears doing natural things? I don't see how 3D pictures would ruin that... unless it being 3D is what really perverts it.

Gazoinks

Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta 02
qt9BivXl.jpg

Thank you for translating that. Really, it means a lot.

Another fairly enjoyable episode. The character interactions are generally charming, which goes a long way. Wish we'd seen more of the sparring scene because fights are always fun, but whatever! Show's threatening to go in a somewhat darker direction at points, which I hope it maintains. Seems like plot might be really kicking up next episode?

Syrinx

Ouran High School Host Club 26

Really fitting ending scene with Kyoya's and Tamaki's fathers talking about their sons really becoming who they wanted them to be. And then just as their rivalry starts to dissolve, it rises again as they both reveal their intentions of Haruhi marrying their respective sons. Not because she has any value to the growth of their family's businesses. They were just that damn impressed by her. Course Haruhi is going to just do whatever feels right to her.

I need to find another show like this, stat.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Firewall and Iceberg and Extra Hot Great are fine for TV news/reviews surprisingly. Although even Hitfix can't resist the youtube money and are moving to video content, which I think I hate more than written reviews. lol
Half in the Bag legitimizes video reviews for me.

cajunator

Banned
Just maintain the status quo because I don't feel like dancing around arbitrary barriers that force me to constantly monitor what I say in here. The thread's not perfect, but the all-encompassing megathread format still creates a unique discussion environment that doesn't exist anywhere else on the internet. It's why I'm here.

I just like to talk about anime in general. Not necessarily new or old but all of it. The whole damned medium.

BlazBlue - Alter Memory 07

That delicious Hazama mindbreak.

Hazama is ok but is his Terumi form in the show?

Articalys

Some web manga series called Pupipo! is getting an anime. Never heard of this before so I'm just going to copy/paste a description from wonzo in the manga thread:
Himeji Wakaba is a 5th year elementary school student, and she has the ability to see things that others can’t. They are mostly frightening evil spirits, and they tend to do bad things to people who are close to her. One day she brings home a pink monster called “Pupipo”. No one is quite sure what Pupipo is, but it protects Wakaba from the other things she sees. Pupipo also helps Wakaba make friends with an occult-obsessed transfer student and solve problems with bullying. Wakaba’s life is a much better place with her pet pink monster!
http://moca-news.net/article/20131120/201311201400a/01/
http://pupipo.tv/

Animation production is by AIC PLUS+.

Jintor

That seems kinda cool

• AnimeGAF END

Well, I've only been around in this thread for about half a year but it feels like its gone by way too fast. I am really going to miss seeing everyone's impressions on all these shows that I otherwise never would have been exposed to.

I'm leaving for a 2 years as a missionary for my church, and won't have access to the internet in that time so it's the end of me on GAF and watching anime for a while.

I haven't seen THAT many shows this year, and I'm not entirely sure how the AOTY thing really goes but if I had to put in my vote for my favorite this year I'm going to have to go with Hataraku Maou-sama. I really enjoyed every episode as I watched it and was always excited for the next episode to come on.

I can't say I enjoyed the legendary School Days but I think watching that left the greatest impression on me so thanks for the recommendation. Ech. Now in terms of what I really enjoyed the most its a toss up between Gurren Lagann and Madoka Magica. I don't know if I'd be able to watch Madoka again, though.

Going to miss all the friends that I made in this thread. Thanks for wearing the Kamina glasses after all this time guys, making all those dumb edits to your avatars made me feel like I was part of something.

And thanks for laughing and crying with me watching so many amazing shows.

I think watching anime has been a social thing for me, since I can't really watch a show anymore without wanting to see how other people felt about the same show. It was really fun following the Spring, Summer and Fall 2013 seasons with GAF. Looking forward to being back for the Fall/Winter 2015 season in this thread!
AnimeGAF receives a score of
12 Sword Art Online |OT|s
Or
6/5 :cajuns

Peace man. See you in two years.

Doki Doki Precure 44 spoilers

Episode 44: Christmas Reunion!

Regina thought it would be easy to win if Mana wasn't the leader of the PreCure. Thus, she works with the Jikochu to lure Mana out to a challenge!

Regina is apparently aware of how the show works.

duckroll

• AnimeGAF END

Well, I've only been around in this thread for about half a year but it feels like its gone by way too fast. I am really going to miss seeing everyone's impressions on all these shows that I otherwise never would have been exposed to.

I'm leaving for a 2 years as a missionary for my church, and won't have access to the internet in that time so it's the end of me on GAF and watching anime for a while.

I haven't seen THAT many shows this year, and I'm not entirely sure how the AOTY thing really goes but if I had to put in my vote for my favorite this year I'm going to have to go with Hataraku Maou-sama. I really enjoyed every episode as I watched it and was always excited for the next episode to come on.

I can't say I enjoyed the legendary School Days but I think watching that left the greatest impression on me so thanks for the recommendation. Ech. Now in terms of what I really enjoyed the most its a toss up between Gurren Lagann and Madoka Magica. I don't know if I'd be able to watch Madoka again, though.

Going to miss all the friends that I made in this thread. Thanks for wearing the Kamina glasses after all this time guys, making all those dumb edits to your avatars made me feel like I was part of something.

I think watching anime has been a social thing for me, since I can't really watch a show anymore without wanting to see how other people felt about the same show. It was really fun following the Spring, Summer and Fall 2013 seasons with GAF. Looking forward to being back for the Fall/Winter 2015 season in this thread!
Or

It's been nice to have you around, good luck on your missionary work, God belss you!

Mature

Well if you specify free! Anime that narrows it down. Especially since anime sure as hell isnt free lol.
The thought was that there would be so many sites advertising "Free Anime" already it would drown out anything else. Though I guess that was clearly not the case.

CorvoSol

Yes it's a monster thing. Also the eternal debate
what goes on down there.

Half and half, of course, same as everywhere else.

I cannot judge. I bought the blurays for Eureka Seven AO and Infinite Stratos.

PART OF THE PROBLEM.

indeed its logic but I have a hard time recognizing references.

References to things that exist in my head are kinda hard to guess, I'll give you that.

• AnimeGAF END

Or

I've already sent you off in private, but Godspeed, my friend. You probably won't get to read this, but as good as you told me it was for me to be around, let me tell you it was a privilege having you around for me.

Now get out there and shine, you crazy kid, and if you're ever bored, work a tomato and an orange into a lesson for your old pal Corvo. See you in 2, friend. Now get out there and shine.

Oh god.

I remember when some Grizzly/Shirokuma showed up on my Tumblr dashboard about a year ago.

Good times.

I don't think it was explicit, though (I don't remember a thing about the pic other than it being Grizzly/Shirokuma). I just was kind of shocked that shipping exists for every show ever and it's completely unstoppable. I'm sure there are people out there who ship characters from kids' shows. Like, I'm betting Arthur/Francine is totally a thing.

cajunator

Banned
Half and half, of course, same as everywhere else.

PART OF THE PROBLEM.

References to things that exist in my head are kinda hard to guess, I'll give you that.

I've already sent you off in private, but Godspeed, my friend. You probably won't get to read this, but as good as you told me it was for me to be around, let me tell you it was a privilege having you around for me.

Now get out there and shine, you crazy kid, and if you're ever bored, work a tomato and an orange into a lesson for your old pal Corvo. See you in 2, friend. Now get out there and shine.

Buuuuut Ive also bought stuff like Wolf Children. Could I be both the problem AND the solution?

Gazoinks

Clannad 1

Pretty good first episode. The first half was weird and - between the goofy comedy, somber moments, and whatever was going on with that girl and that room - felt a bit tonally dissonant, but the second half pulled it together. Nagisa's dad was the best and I laughed at a lot of his exchanges.

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo 6

Literally having girl hunting contests and giving girls hickies.

And Nagisa gains a love interest.... too bad her sisters also want the D.

Clannad 1

Pretty good first episode. The first half was weird and - between the goofy comedy, somber moments, and whatever was going on with that girl and that room - felt a bit tonally dissonant, but the second half pulled it together. Nagisa's dad was the best and I laughed at a lot of his exchanges.

Shoulda started with Hyouka instead, but I guess saving the best for last is a valid approach.

Gazoinks

Shoulda started with Hyouka instead, but I guess saving the best for last is a valid approach.

It's mainly just because I hear everyone talking about how heartbreaking After Story is and I want to see if it's all it's cracked up to be. :p

I do want to watch Hyouka soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom