• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a really chill Jojo bar in Fukuoka this weekend run by a dude who just really loves Jojo. All the drinks were named after Jojo things, and the counter/walls were filled with Jojo figures and the entire manga series. When you leave, they quote Jojo and pose at you. It was pretty cool.

It was also a 70:30 split between women and men. Haha.

We had a shot called The World, and when we toasted, the bartender yelled "NINGEN WO YAMERU ZO," prompting us to all scream Jojo. The World also kicked our asses and made us feel like we were hit with a large vehicle used to do construction. Take as you will.

Some random shots.

BZwrDxQCAAAb0sp.jpg:large

BZwQp8uCMAAf2aH.jpg:large

BZwTBVBCEAASlUT.jpg:large

The menus were super cool too. Each one was different.

If you wanna follow them on Twitter, they can be found here. Can't wait to go back/become a regular once I move to Fukuoka.

Jintor

since log hirzon started i actually started pushing my glasses up while talking IRL way more.

lol

I blame "Blindly in Love" for that. Main character is absurd. But a lot of shows have the 'raising the glasses' thing, so I don't know where I originally stole it from

How long have I had this Knuckles avatar? Like, before the Kamina upgrade? I can't even remember anymore. All I remember is seeing his face and thought it looked funny.

I keep telling myself to change it but I've got no idea to what.

I like your current av. Fits your posts well in the same way Tomoe is a perfect fit for madp.

I too like my current avatar. Will admit it was a bit nerve wracking to get it that way for many reasons.

How long have I had this Knuckles avatar? Like, before the Kamina upgrade? I can't even remember anymore. All I remember is seeing his face and thought it looked funny.

I keep telling myself to change it but I've got no idea to what.

Lets say a few months. I think... probably April or May even.

All right. Time to see if my hate for all modern Ghibli films is warranted (opinion wise) and see if I enjoy From Up on Poppy Hill. This is one of the few I didn't see. Ponyo murdered me so I've basically skipped everything else since it looks incredibly meh. But if a friend lets you borrow dvd why the fuck not. If good enough, it's on sale on Amazon in blu-ray.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross Zero-fin
I was actually starting to come around to the OVAs in the fourth episode. Kawamori struck again however. Anyway this feels the least Macross-like as there really isn't any idol or pop songs. I'm sure some people like it for that reason but all I could think about in the later episodes is that Kawamori was still smoking some of the stuff he was using during the Arjuna production. Zero isn't as preachy/insane as Arjuna but it's still preachy as fuck. The UN is bad, war is bad, and modern society is bad are repeatedly drilled in. It doesn't feel like a proper discourse but more like Kawamori again taking the altar. It's kinda sad as there is a decent story somewhere in here, with a pilot crashing on a tropical island and becoming familiar with the natives. The setting itself is really unusual for an anime, I just wish less time was used for sermons on environmentalism and more on the actual society. I really did like the fourth episode where Shin and Sara explored the jungle. Problem is that the Birdman Cometh shit topped on here, with magical floating rocks, takes over the anime and really detracts from the character growth on the part of the lead, who starts out an asshole. The love triangle here also feels halfassed and Mao probably should have been axed. The ending is just wtf on a lot of levels and the 5th episode soured me on the whole lot of OVAs.
The dogfights would have looked amazing if they were in 2D, too bad they're in CGI. I guess it allowed them to have a faster and more dynamic camera but the CGI hasn't really aged that well. I'm sure it is impressive on a CGI level, especially back then, but I'm not really that wow'd by seeing two CGI jets zigzagging around each other. Speaking of aging, the digital composition in the first couple of episodes is atrocious. It does get better near the end but the first couple of episodes are really rough. The fourth episode though I should give respect towards as the background art and storyboarding were really phenomenal. The background art in general was actually very good especially the environmental shots.
Very meh towards the music. It's certainly different than the pop songs in the other Macross franchises, in that it's more traditional/native, but I'm not sure the music here is good on its own terms. It definitely feels lacking compared to the other Macross shows.

Macross Zero is supposedly the crown jewel of the Macross franchise and I'm left pretty underwhelmed by it.

So current Macross ranking: Do You Remember Love=Macross Plus>Frontier>Macross>Zero

224338228.jpg

The true Birdman.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I like your current av. Fits your posts well in the same way Tomoe is a perfect fit for madp.

I'm in a pending avatar death pact with Hito so enjoy it while it lasts.

Macross Zero-fin

All of your Macross impressions make me truly fear for how I would evaluate all of the various seasons/ovas on rewatch because it sounds like they're full of things I've come to hate in the 6-7 years since I completed it all.

All I can suggest is that you don't even bother with Macross II: Lovers Again; I don't think it's even considered canon now and it was so bad that I hated it even at a time when I was pretty passive.

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 14

Creepy episode.
This felt really SHAFT-y, both the storytelling and the visuals.

Lucky the ship had its own ghost, huh?

Star Driver 18

Uh... that was certainly something.
So Keito has sex with a comatose Sugata to bring him back? That's why he can constantly abuse his first phase?

Andrew J.

Time to watch Arjuna I guess!

I should get around to watching it sometime too; I've been listening to everyone else in this thread yammer on about sinful words, sinful hamburgers, and learning from the mountain without knowing what the hell they're talking about for years now.

Gazoinks

Clannad 11
zxdEeLwl.jpg

Hulu go home you're drunk

I am starting to get bored of Kotomi already, to be honest. I'm enjoying the interactions between everyone in the club, but I'm finding Kotomi as the focus in this arc a bit dull so far.
Although she's apparently being followed by fedora dude so hopefully things will become betterer. I hope she's an escaped android.

ALSO TOMOYA ARE YOU THICK.
I know you won't but come on man go for Kyou. Nagisa's family is awesome, but Kyou is bester girl.

Tomoya what the hell was that dream supposed to be.

Clannad 11

I am starting to get bored of Kotomi already, to be honest. I'm enjoying the interactions between everyone in the club, but I'm finding Kotomi as the focus in this arc a bit dull so far.
Although she's apparently being followed by fedora dude so hopefully things will become betterer. I hope she's an escaped android.

ALSO TOMOYA ARE YOU THICK.
I know you won't but come on man go for Kyou. Nagisa's family is awesome, but Kyou is bester girl.

Tomoya what the hell was that dream supposed to be.

Man we must be long lost brothers. I was bored to tears during her arc. Then a certain animal appears and then...

LET IT FEELS! GOTTA LET IT FEELS! GOTTA LET IT FEEEEEEE-HEEEELS!

cajunator

Banned
I should get around to watching it sometime too; I've been listening to everyone else in this thread yammer on about sinful words, sinful hamburgers, and learning from the mountain without knowing what the hell they're talking about for years now.

There are moments of absolute beauty in it as well.

zeroshiki

Macross Plus has the worst lead character ever (yes worse than Basara) so it can't be the crown jewel.

Sheryl Nome is the best Macross character but Frontier was an awful CG wankfest.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
SDF Macross > Macross Plus > DYRL > Frontier > the one episode of 7 I've seen > Macross Zero > Macross II

I haven't watched the Frontier movies because I'm too afraid of Ranka winning. I'd probably have to throw my television out of my window.

zeroshiki

SDF Macross > Macross Plus > DYRL > Frontier > the one episode of 7 I've seen > Macross Zero > Macross II

I haven't watched the Frontier movies because I'm too afraid of Ranka winning. I'd probably have to throw my television out of my window.

You should watch the MF movies.

mhs004

Star Driver 9

So I'm guessing the new girl means that the main character isn't going to hook up with that southern shrine maiden chick, that fucking sucks.

You have a misplaced fear.
The younger girl always loses in Macross.

zeroshiki

You can't possibly believe that Isamu is worse than Kirito or numerous other anime protagonists.

I actually meant to say in the Macross franchise but there's probably a good argument to be made that he's in the top 10 worst for everything.

I mean, the dude was a certifiable prick with the worst personality ever, got everyone around him in extreme danger, would be one of the worst role models ever and is a "hero" basically because the creators told us he was.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No show with Minmei can be the best of anything.

SDF Macross had a ton of things going for it during its time, but it hasn't aged well.

Branduil

I actually meant to say in the Macross franchise but there's probably a good argument to be made that he's in the top 10 worst for everything.

I mean, the dude was a certifiable prick with the worst personality ever, got everyone around him in extreme danger, would be one of the worst role models ever and is a "hero" basically because the creators told us he was.

I think it's a fairly accurate portrayal of a test pilot.

I would agree with you on the movie version though, because that makes him look far worse, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom