• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 46

QUALITY!

And finally, things aren't completely boring because violence solves everything!

Almost everyone dies. Precures included. No don't make this a bigger deal than it really is.
These posts only make my decision to base all my opinions of GoGo on that one doujin justified.

Shergal

K-ON!! 1-3
In this second season, the pacing has been smoothed out and flows more naturally, the jokes fit into their surroundings instead of sticking out poorly, and the characters actually feel like real people. The writing is more continuous and focused, instead of just stitching together 4-komas. It's not afraid to be contemplative, lingering on scenery and letting the characters be reflective.

There's this thing about the second season where it feels like there is something genuine and honest in the writing and handling of the characters as opposed to mostly using them as devices for gags. Not only compared to S1 (sans ep 13) but also compared to the breadth of 4koma adaptations. Of course the quality of the production and directing is significantly improved, that also helps, but IIRC they changed and added a ton of stuff that wasn't in the source in the second season to give rise to a more apparent thematic development between and within episodes.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo 47

Ui8cCqG.jpg
OSh2VkS.jpg
VSysXxX.jpg
wboYr4r.jpg
8comR2F.jpg
jb2lN90.jpg

This moment single handedly ruined this episode for me.

I MEAN I WAS LOOKING FOR
BUNBEE THE BROBEE
BUT OF COURSE! OF COURSE! COCO WASN'T JUST ENOUGH EH NOZOMI!?

NOPE GOTTA HAVE SYRUPY TITS TOO! Can't even fucking give Urara, Syrup. That's hers dammit. HERS! JEALOUS OF THE IDOL! STEAL SYRUP ADERPDERP

With all the fiber in my being, I was stopped cold hard and center, left to pace around in my room, throwing my hands in the fucking air at this shit. Man, it's like... Mana was already a harem lead, and other girls are trying to steal Mana from them, although they lost to best girl Regina. Here it's like... not suppose to be a harem, ALMOST EVERYONE HAS A PARTNER, but fuck Rin. We'd rather give her counterpart, Akane, the D. BUT NO, NOZOMI JUST NEEDS ONE MORE DICK, JUST ONE MORE!
God knows if Syrup is a good lube, but at least it'll be tasty

....Why Toei? Is this an attempt to throw a bone for Rin? It doesn't work here....

You know what, I hope this crashes hard. I really don't think Doki Doki Precure will ever piss me off with its ending
outside of killing Regina maybe.

Branduil

Remember when KyoAni made K-on, Nichijou, and Hyouka, in succession, and there was nothing but hope and optimism regarding the studio.

Remember.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Once sound reasoning was given as to why Haruhi S3 will never happen all hope was lost.*

*I liked Tamako Market

2 40 minute episodes and a 30 minute one
Now I can't remember if I only watched one or saw it all together and remembered it as just one thing.

Branduil

We should write our own light novel and send it in to KyoAni's contest. It couldn't be worse than the crap they're adapting right now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We should write our own light novel and send it in to KyoAni's contest. It couldn't be worse than the crap they're adapting right now.
I've been asking for the details on how to enter the contest for ages but no one wants to tell me just incase KyoAni ends up picking my story for a show.

BlazBlue Alter Memory 9

Back to being mediocre.

Did get a laugh out of Tager thinking he had a chance against Terumi and Jin once again rejecting Tsubaki in favor for his nii-san.

There's this thing about the second season where it feels like there is something genuine and honest in the writing and handling of the characters as opposed to mostly using them as devices for gags. Not only compared to S1 (sans ep 13) but also compared to the breadth of 4koma adaptations. Of course the quality of the production and directing is significantly improved, that also helps, but IIRC they changed and added a ton of stuff that wasn't in the source in the second season to give rise to a more apparent thematic development between and within episodes.

The second season so far strikes a balance between the contemplative atmosphere of episode 13 of S1 (the best episode by far) and the lighter atmosphere of the rest of that season, which works pretty well. As you say, it's nice to have characters who are more than collections of quirks to be extracted from for gags. For a slice-of-life show to be memorable, it either needs to be funny or it needs to have likable, fleshed-out characters. The first season of K-ON doesn't really succeed on either count, but the second season looks like it will deliver on the second, and even somewhat on the first. Despite (or because of) the jokes not being underlined as much, they make a more pleasant impression.

Remember when KyoAni made K-on, Nichijou, and Hyouka, in succession, and there was nothing but hope and optimism regarding the studio.

Remember.

They made Disappearance of Haruhi and the K-ON movie in that timespan too. KyoAni had a good thing going for a while there; it's too bad they don't seem to have any really good original ideas.

BlazBlue: Alter Memory Episode 9 The Power of Order

Jin episode focus made it best of the bunch so far.
but ending when he and Ragna meet :( Next week is the first episode Im looking forward to

cajunator

Banned
Will floating car stand the test of time as quality van has?

...I cannot wait to get back to anime watching...

nothing can top the quality van from Polyphonica

ICE Episode 1

I could only last 7 minutes. It's not on The List for nothing. Ugh.

shoulda watched Yami!

Remember.

Nope. I dont remember this.

Every girl needs fluffy tails and exposed tummies. I saved KyoAni, where's my check?

Genius

iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

Seriously? Like is this intentional? Like the car floating is supposed to represent how the whole sequence is some sort of illusion? But if that's the case then why does the car hit the rock as if it was driving on the road itself? Also if the car was floating, seems like somebody would have commented on a BTTF style hovercar showing up.

That better be intentional for their sake. Even so, that's hilarious.

Only if DTL writes it.

Nah, Corvo should be the one to write it. It will be the inspiring story of an angry orange that goes on a journey to achieve its lifelong dream of becoming a tomato. The plot twist: The orange was always the tomato all along. It never needed to go on a journey.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 48 END

Mailpo was the fucking flower Syrup grew

Well that was dumb.

Well, I guess I can concede for good that Yes! 5 was rather boring in general. From really bad art quality, to rather boring cast, it drowns out in what it has over the later series; plot points being resolved without feeling rushed
maybe
and spending enough time to develop each character, although in all fairness, this nearly had 100 episodes dedicated to developing the characters.... Eh

Heartcatch > Fresh > Splash Star > Smile > DokiDoki = Suite > Futari Wa > GoGo > Yes! 5 > Max Heart

... Maybe.

Kazzy

Delivery just now:

Girls und Panzer

Kinda disappointed that there's no way to disable subtitles.

Tetris song LOLOL. Just leave the scene cut out instead, damn it.

This honestly makes me consider not ordering it altogether. Sounds a bit silly, but I think they affect the experience quite significantly.

zeroshiki

Remember.

They put out Tamako in the middle of this year long run of mediocrity so there is still hope for them. They really need better ideas for their shows though, I agree.

Defuser

iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

Seriously? Like is this intentional? Like the car floating is supposed to represent how the whole sequence is some sort of illusion? But if that's the case then why does the car hit the rock as if it was driving on the road itself? Also if the car was floating, seems like somebody would have commented on a BTTF style hovercar showing up.

Holy shit, how could something like this could have pass through the checking?

Vecks

HxH 107

I hate the palm stuff. I feel like she's not really needed in this story. I mean, I think even in the last episode Knov mentioned that if she failed it'll still be okay, so I don't really understand why they bothered to send her in.
Anyway... holy crap@Killua without his shirt. Wow. I don't remember this part in the manga.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 48 END

Mailpo was the fucking flower Syrup grew

Well that was dumb.

Well, I guess I can concede for good that Yes! 5 was rather boring in general. From really bad art quality, to rather boring cast, it drowns out in what it has over the later series; plot points being resolved without feeling rushed
maybe
and spending enough time to develop each character, although in all fairness, this nearly had 100 episodes dedicated to developing the characters.... Eh

Heartcatch > Fresh > Splash Star > Smile > DokiDoki = Suite > Futari Wa > GoGo > Yes! 5 > Max Heart

... Maybe.

Putting dokidoki on suite level ? Lol
At least you are aware that Gogo is superior to yes!

HxH 107

I hate the palm stuff. I feel like she's not really needed in this story. I mean, I think even in the last episode Knov mentioned that if she failed it'll still be okay, so I don't really understand why they bothered to send her in.
Anyway... holy crap@Killua without his shirt. Wow. I don't remember this part in the manga.

No , Knov said to not take risks because they would still be able to plan without her input ( even if her mission increase the overall chances of sucess by a lot )
( because the doors are in place ) , being able to put the doors was a one in a life time opportunity , one they weren't sure they could have.

If you want to know :
When the red aura was upon her she killed herself in order to not reveal what she knew of the plan.

And yes Killua without his shirt was in the manga.

Shergal

They put out Tamako in the middle of this year long run of mediocrity so there is still hope for them. They really need better ideas for their shows though, I agree.

It's Yamada and Takemoto we should put our trust on. Ishihara does bad LN stuff and the new directors are content getting to do whatever and lack experience.

zeroshiki

It's Yamada and Takemoto we should put our trust on. Ishihara does bad LN stuff and the new directors are content getting to do whatever and lack experience.

Yeah, alot of the mediocrity coming out of KyoAni are from the new directors (Utsumi, Ishidate) or known hacks (Ishihara). If KyoAni went back to their old pace of two shows (or less) a season and kept the Yamada-Takemoto-Ishihara rotation going, there might not be as much agitas from the fanbase.

I don't think the issue is with the source material, even. I mean, K-On has a shitty source and Yamada/Yoshida turned that into gold. They just need to choose their shitty adaptations better.

jgminto

Guess what I just did?

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito - Episode 1

Why is the camerawork in this done by a drunk person? The dialogue sounds like random stuff Cleverbot would say if it spoke entirely in really odd similies, nothing makes any sense!

What have you started...you fool!

Gundam build fighters - 09

Ah ah

I don't have the words...

Bearguy 3 was entertaining to watch !
The little details were there ( like the change of expressions ).
Damn this was well done.

Caroline was ... was with her horse near the park ? What ?

Ahem , this episode was yet again much more entertaining than i would have expected.and it was just a tiny filler, can't wait to see the tournament starting next week.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Guess what I just did?

Why is the camerawork in this done by a drunk person? The dialogue sounds like random stuff Cleverbot would say if it spoke entirely in really odd similies, nothing makes any sense!
You know all those people with named intros? You'll never see them again after ep 2!

Kazzy

[Full Metal Panic!]

To an extent, much of my enjoyment was derived from not knowing exactly how this show was supposed to present itself.

I know that it was popular, just not the reasons as to why. That said, it turns out that it isn’t entirely dissimilar to a whole raft of anime, perhaps even in generic in its structure. Yes, it takes place in a high school, and it does have a male and female lead. The caveat being that there is a shadowy organization afoot, intent on catching a girl by the name of Chidori - for even more shadowy reasons. Sosuke arrives to protect her, socially inept but practically adept. He is there to safeguard her personal life, but seems to be much better at sabotaging her personal one.

FwK3yGj.jpg
EtCentq.jpg
bH6WGhv.jpg
RRTMvn4.jpg

The show works best when it functions within the confines of its school setting, not least of all because it allows for its two leads to interact with one another. Which makes it surprisingly that the show seems intent on straying away from this dynamic, whenever possible.

Ostensibly starting off with a not too dissimilar slice of life premise, I assumed the military conceit was just that – something that would never really figure into the narrative proper. As it turns out, this is true, to a degree. Therein lies my main problem with FMP. It sets out to achieve one thing, and it does. Though the fish-out-of-water setup is hardly novel, it’s executed with aplomb, with both Sosuke and Chidori being likeable leads, and the extended cast are more than up to the task. The high school scenes are perhaps the best parts of the entire show, with Sosuke’s militaristic diligence being juxtaposed with his utter lack of social graces, as he sets out to protect Chidori by any means he sees fit. It’s entertaining stuff; with Chidori’s bemusement at her plight (with seemingly most of the animation effort going into her range of expressions) both being amusing, whilst also not feeling like your typical relationship. Their dynamic is fun, and though romantic overtures are present, it never really feels like its overbearing.

It perhaps flows through these formative episodes so smoothly, that when it does rather abruptly shift away from this particular rhythm – the show never really feels as assured again. It’s this early promise that both led me to the very end of the series, along with lamenting what I was ultimately left with. The makeup of the show exists in two distinct parts, and it’s the weight of juggling these two that ultimately sours proceedings. There is the ‘normal’ aspect of the show - which deals with Sosuke’s duty to protect, and there is the other – the military drama. Each exists very much in its own sphere, but the interchange between the two is extremely jarring, not to mention frequent. The transition (or lack thereof) is felt so keenly because of the sudden shift in tone that each brings with it.

R25c1iy.jpg
kDAdL8J.jpg
5pzSKHO.jpg
Q59XGt4.jpg

From a narrative standpoint, it makes sense why they would want to establish this arc, but tonally it’s so jarring and inconsistent (not to mentioned, ultimately inconsequential) against the remainder of the show, that it makes you wonder if it would have been better off without it.

The aforementioned military aspect, essentially acts as the action segment of the show, what with it parlaying all the mecha stuff into these stretches. It’s kind of an odd atmosphere that it lends to the rest of the show, given that it has an almost fastidious approach to how it presents this material. This is to say that it’s all played surprisingly straight, with the middle section of the narrative conveying a tone that is much darker than anything else in the entire series - something which it doesn’t at all justify. It’s unfortunate that this section is awash with needless filler, as it bogs it down immeasurably. To their credit, they do try to directly feed some of these events into Sosuke’s character, but for as much as it’s leveraged; it isn’t really worth the three episode sojourn that it takes. It’s the architect of its downfall in this respect, with the execution of the material neither possessing the brevity, nor the nuance to pull off this precarious balancing act.

Perhaps it’s those broad strokes that endear this show to some, but for me, I wish that it would just decide what kind of story it wants to tell and stick with it. Instead, what we end with is entertaining, though I couldn't quite shake he feeling that it could have been so much more than the sum of these parts. The characters are entertaining, and as mentioned, the premise does allow for some good stuff, but it’s blighted by inconsistency. There isn’t really any sort of forward momentum to anything that happens, with there being a real lack of clarity on where (or how) the story intends to conclude. No better is this embodied in the series main antagonist, Guaron. It speaks volumes that it’s a role that doesn’t really become defined until well after the halfway point

Guaron isn’t a bad villain; in fact, he’s a pretty good one, being ridiculously dastardly and of all things, actually comes across as a legitimate threat. But therein lies the problem with the character, the writers is a little too enamoured with him. It quickly becomes apparent that they have no conviction to completely erase him from the plot as he slides into each major event, forgetting that death is indeed final. It’s extremely silly, but I guess it kinds of feed into the notion that he’s such a bombastic foil - that absolutely nothing can stop him. But amidst all this, there isn’t any real conflict for this force to hinge on, rather that it feels as though he simply exists as busywork. He acts bad, he is bad, but we don’t really know why. His motives are so shallow, that when they (or the lack thereof) are actually revealed, it kinds of take any sort of tension out of the final few episodes

F1sWFRa.jpg
F5JMrNF.jpg
Dcttdq6.jpg
evPC0hA.jpg

The likes of Tessa add a freshness to the latter half of the series, though, by that point, it seems wholly committed to being serious. It's a shame we don't get to spend more time with the extended cast.

One of the core conceits of the actual plot is left unaddressed until a couple of episodes away from the conclusion, which strikes me as somewhat egregious. Though It’s a detail that is sown early
(having Chidori being protected, due her mysterious talents)
, but even then, I don’t think it’s acceptable to reference it the way they do. They attempt to thread together the dangling plot threads in the most haphazard way possible, that it’s just insulting. The equivalent of the script just throwing its hands up and saying "Oh, by the way." It’s one thing to foreshadow, but it’s something else entirely to contrive plot developments. It’s a simply a case of cognitive dissonance. To make this yet more irritating, said exposition is rife with abstract expressions, never really committing ,and only ever existing as a deus ex machina to resolve a specific story beat. The audience is hardly going to accept it as feeling natural and cohesive to the overall plot, when not even the story can manage that. I probably would have preferred it had they only alluded to these elements. There is something to be said for economy in storytelling.

I can already predict as to why most (and probably me) end up preferring the likes of Fumoffu. My favourite sections of this are the slice of life moments, specifically because it lets the interplay between Chidori and Sosuke breathe. There’s also the action – which in itself, isn’t at all shabby. It’s just that it’s always a vehicle to contrive a situation between the pair, or transition between arcs. When it’s used so overtly as a bridge, it’s difficult to find that quite as exciting as what it precedes.

Initially when trying to surmise my thoughts, I thought that FMP seemed analogous to an 80’s action film (not least of all for the clear A-Team references the main theme carries). It presented itself as unassuming and fun, but in a way that left you satisfied. As I moved further into the episodes though, a different parallel seemed much more fitting. It ended up evoking a much more modern comparison, what with its tendency to perhaps get a little more serious than it had any right to be. It pretends to be one thing, all the while wanting to be something else entirely. All things considered, It was at least worth the time I spent with it. There's certainly enough here to whet my appetite for what comes next.

Summary: More kiss kiss. Less, bang, bang.

cajunator

Banned
Guess what I just did?

Youve started something special!

iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

I've just seen the episode and

YES it was intentionnal.

and yes it was an illusion and yes it was supposed to float.
The rock went off because it was some wort of power at work ( like in those shonen shows )

And yes the cast commented that they had no idea what just happenned.

In short i got it by a hype gif and was disapointed when the real scene came.

Heck at least kon was there ( even if her running gag shouldn't have been there too )

Kidding that is just the escuse of a production error, they made the car float because they realised that their cg car wheels weren't animated.
Simple as that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom