• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
[Full Metal Panic!]

The aforementioned military aspect, essentially acts as the action segment of the show, what with it parlaying all the mecha stuff into these stretches. It’s kind of an odd atmosphere that it lends to the rest of the show, given that it has an almost fastidious approach to how it presents this material. This is to say that it’s all played surprisingly straight, with the middle section of the narrative conveying a tone that is much darker than anything else in the entire series - something which it doesn’t at all justify. It’s unfortunate that this section is awash with needless filler, as it bogs it down immeasurably. To their credit, they do try to directly feed some of these events into Sosuke’s character, but for as much as it’s leveraged; it isn’t really worth the three episode sojourn that it takes. It’s the architect of its downfall in this respect, with the execution of the material neither possessing the brevity, nor the nuance to pull off this precarious balancing act.

Perhaps it’s those broad strokes that endear this show to some, but for me, I wish that it would just decide what kind of story it wants to tell and stick with it. Instead, what we end with is entertaining, though I couldn't quite shake he feeling that it could have been so much more than the sum of these parts. The characters are entertaining, and as mentioned, the premise does allow for some good stuff, but it’s blighted by inconsistency. There isn’t really any sort of forward momentum to anything that happens, with there being a real lack of clarity on where (or how) the story intends to conclude. No better is this embodied in the series main antagonist, Guaron. It speaks volumes that it’s a role that doesn’t really become defined until well after the halfway point
One of the core conceits of the actual plot is left unaddressed until a couple of episodes away from the conclusion, which strikes me as somewhat egregious.

Though It’s a detail that is sown early
(having Chidori being protected, due her mysterious talents)
, but even then, I don’t think it’s acceptable to reference it the way they do. They attempt to thread together the dangling plot threads in the most haphazard way possible, that it’s just insulting. The equivalent of the script just throwing its hands up and saying "Oh, by the way." It’s one thing to foreshadow, but it’s something else entirely to contrive plot developments. It’s a simply a case of cognitive dissonance. To make this yet more irritating, said exposition is rife with abstract expressions, never really committing ,and only ever existing as a deus ex machina to resolve a specific story beat. The audience is hardly going to accept it as feeling natural and cohesive to the overall plot, when not even the story can manage that. I probably would have preferred it had they only alluded to these elements. There is something to be said for economy in storytelling.

There are quite a few people who don't like the military segments but I think the serious components actually work extremely well in the context of the show. By making the action take place away from the school, it allows this dual tonality compared to stuff like KnK or most supernatural high school anime where the students are expected to have normal lives despite their abnormal situations. You might say it's too separated for its own good but I think that was the right call as it prevents the show from getting way too bogged down in drama and have the comedic moments without seemingly artificial. It doesn't try to mix two elements that other shows repeatedly attempt to do, and almost always fail at. For example the arc where Sousuke is in the Middle East was fine for me because it was separated from the events at the school and it really made the audience appreciate the circumstances in which Sousuke is working under and why he would appreciate the 'quiet' times at the school. I also think the military stuff is needed on a character level as it allows the audience to understand why Sousuke is the way he is and also further character relationships by which Kaname isn't isolated from Sousuke's 'true' world. Through Kaname's interactions with Mythril, she has a better understanding of Sousuke. Sousuke likewise gains a better appreciation of Kaname as she's not just some wall flower. The two elements work in tandem with each other to establish both Kaname and Sousuke in their elements and why the two would appreciate each other.

I also recently rewatched the early parts of the show and they do properly foreshadow something being off with Chidori. There were scenes of her muttering stuff when she woke up. A lot of the stuff that is a deux ex machina at that stage of the show does turn out to bite some of the characters in the ass later.

As for the forward movement, what the shows adapted have covered are essentially the prologue to the main part of the narrative. That's partly why some people, like me, want Takemoto to go through the rest of the novels as a lot of the story progression happens later.

zeroshiki

Oh man, that FMP knife. Keep twisting~~~

I agree with everyone. Watch Fumoffu. Second Raid is good too but that one is very action-y.

cnet128

Banned
Non Non Biyori 9

Poor Tanukomari. You didn't deserve that ordeal.

lol Natsumi. You so deserved that ordeal.

I totally knew Renchon was a giraffe from the beginning. Great...minds...?

CorvoSol

Watch Fumoffu, disregard everything else.

Nooooo. Watch it all, the serious parts are great, my favorite anime ever, etc.

As for the forward movement, what the shows adapted have covered are essentially the prologue to the main part of the narrative. That's partly why some people, like me, want Takemoto to go through the rest of the novels as a lot of the story progression happens later.

Also Fumoffu and The Second Raid are kind of where all of Sousuke and Kaname's development occur. The first anime covers like maybe the first book? It only gets better as it goes.

Oh man, that FMP knife. Keep twisting~~~

I agree with everyone. Watch Fumoffu. Second Raid is good too but that one is very action-y.

The Second Raid rocks. I wrote some super long posts about it last time and how it really does a good job for Sousuke's character. The one problem is that much of Kaname's character development comes after it and that never got made into anime.

Jarmel

Banned
The 2nd Raid is definitely about progressing Sousuke as a character and really the climax of his character development to that point. Almost everything else is secondary in that cour.

About full metal panic , i'd say watch it all , just watching fumoffu is good, watching eveyrthing is great.

The first season has some problems but it's not that bad. fumoffu is awesome and the second raid is very good. no reason to pass up on this franchise because of a couple of bad episodes.

CorvoSol

The 2nd Raid is definitely about progressing Sousuke as a character and really the climax of his character development to that point. Almost everything else is secondary in the that cour.

Also dat KyoAni animation boost really helped FMP. TSR is so damn good.

FMP is also KyoAni at their best before they hit it big with Haruhi.

Haruhi . . . I feel bad for saying this but I watched Haruhi once and the further away from it I get, the less I ever want to go back to it.

Haruhi . . . I feel bad for saying this but I watched Haruhi once and the further away from it I get, the less I ever want to go back to it.

It's not an amazing franchise or anything. Disappearance is the only (partially) standout work in it.

Well, I suppose Endless Eight stands out for its own reasons...

Gazoinks

And Yet The Town Moves 02

Improvement! I liked the first episode, but it feels like it gelled better with this show. Charming, amusing slice of life that's wacky enough to not be boring. We even had a more straight sweet scene when we learned about Hotori's relationship with the old woman whose name I forget. Still haven't been introduced to the blond girl in the OP and ED though!

Someday I want to see a Shaft show with Ufotable-level production quality. Not a complain about this episode's visual quality, btw, just random musing.

Someday I want to see a Shaft show with Ufotable-level production quality. Not a complain about this episode's visual quality, btw, just random musing.

And Yet The Town Moves is probably the best-animated Shaft show... for whatever that's worth. (It does have some great animation though!)

Andrew J.

[Full Metal Panic!]

Ostensibly starting off with a not too dissimilar slice of life premise, I assumed the military conceit was just that – something that would never really figure into the narrative proper. As it turns out, this is true, to a degree. Therein lies my main problem with FMP.

I was reading this part and suddenly started thinking about Hataraku Maou-sama. The basic dichotomy you describe here is also present in that show as well-it starts off looking like an excuse for the comedic situation, but it gets serious soon enough. I feel like Maou-sama integrated the comedy and drama/action more smoothly.

jediyoshi

what no way

candy store > tokyo sister > hair clips

hikage was a little boring this episode but she was funny in the first one she was in

At best I'd go hair clips = candy store > tokyo sister

Iron claw sealed the deal

Non Non Biyori 9

I totally knew Renchon was a giraffe from the beginning. Great...minds...?

I was thinkin snail

rOD9MMl.gif

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 1

I'm struggling to get a grip of the world they're in. Like, why did the teacher let the guy into the school after she found a gun in his bag, and he straight up told her it was a lethal weapon?

Melissa seems like a cool girl, at least.

Gazoinks

Clannad 20

It's almost like they remembered you have to care about the characters to care about the emotions.
Though it probably says something that I care more about Akio than Nagisa.

Yes Sunohara good relationship advice.
NEVER LEAVE NAGISA ALONE EVER BECAUSE HER SELF CONFIDENCE WILL BE CRUSHED FOREVER. HOORAY FOR EMOTIONAL DEPENDENCY.
The pep talk itself was fine, but this says exactly why I don't like Nagisa as a character.

Akio remains best. BEST. Akio and Sanae are like if Isaac and Miria ran a Japanese household.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 2

Dude, you might want to give the whole "It was a coincidence" thing a rest now. I understand that you don't want to blow your cover, but Kaname can clearly tell that you're full of shit and is calling you out on it. Also when you're trying to be discreet, you can't grab titties. Not even by accident. Undercover = no titties for you.

And Kaname, you probably shouldn't fall for a guy you think is relentlessly stalking you. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 1

I'm struggling to get a grip of the world they're in. Like, why did the teacher let the guy into the school after she found a gun in his bag, and he straight up told her it was a lethal weapon?

Melissa seems like a cool girl, at least.

The joke is there's no guns in Japan, so a teenager couldn't possibly get one. Just be quiet and enjoy the ride. You redeem yourself by immediately identifying the best girl in the series, though.

Don't think. Feel.

What he said.

Improvement! I liked the first episode, but it feels like it gelled better with this show. Charming, amusing slice of life that's wacky enough to not be boring. We even had a more straight sweet scene when we learned about Hotori's relationship with the old woman whose name I forget. Still haven't been introduced to the blond girl in the OP and ED though!

you're in for a treat.

CorvoSol

have you seen Disappearance?

Is that the movie with the more sympathetic version of the cast? Cuz I saw that. It was okay. I know this has always sounded crazy, but I'm not really a big fan of anime movies. I should specify that by "watched Haruhi once" I watched the whole show minus this Endless Eight thing going on.

I wonder what anime series has the longest name. Cause some of them are just hilariously long to the point it's ridiculous somebody thought it'd be a good idea to call it that.

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta 09

Oh wow, they didn't even do a please watch the OVAs, they just made an AMV for them instead.

Nice half slice of life with the sudden new character and then Mr. Cat Ears comes to ruin everyone's day.

Soma

I wonder what anime series has the longest name. Cause some of them are just hilariously long to the point it's ridiculous somebody thought it'd be a good idea to call it that.

Just wait for the eventual adaption of Onii-chan no Koto ga Suki Sugite Nyan Nyan Shitai Burakon Imouto dakedo Sunao ni Narenai no

I dunno if anything has beaten that yet.

K-ON!! 1-3

This is already much better than the first season. K-ON! was a well-produced but fairly typical 4-koma adaptation, with stereotypical characters, awkward comic timing, and intrusive punchlines. It was pleasant and mostly inoffensive, but not something I care to revisit. In this second season, the pacing has been smoothed out and flows more naturally, the jokes fit into their surroundings instead of sticking out poorly, and the characters actually feel like real people. The writing is more continuous and focused, instead of just stitching together 4-komas. It's not afraid to be contemplative, lingering on scenery and letting the characters be reflective.

I really liked the opening of the first episode, and later on the scene where the students were singing the school song - I appreciate that it was willing to be quiet and let the visuals express the friendship that's at the core of the series. In moments like those, it approaches the kind of "magical" realism that KyoAni perfected in Hyouka. I also liked how the third episode develops Ritsu's character, showing her as something of a spaz on the one hand, yet on the other hand as one who really does have an abiding passion in the drums. It's that kind of characterization that makes me feel like I know these people, and it's characterization that a lot of slice-of-life/4-koma shows lack.

But I think the reason season 2 works out so well is that we are already established with these characters from the previous season, which is something later KyoAni shows seem to forget.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

since MAL has a hardon for super-long Japanese titles it was easy to check there. The two outstanding candidates:

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Sailor 9 Senshi Shuuketsu! Black Dream Hole no Kiseki

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star Became Music...

which one is longer depends on where you think the title ends and the subtitle begins.

zeroshiki

K-On!! is a better series because they decided to skip the 4koma format and much of the terrible source. Better characterization has nothing to do with it.

Ano hi no hana no namae wa bokutachi wa mada shiranai

is really long.

Just wait for the eventual adaption of Onii-chan no Koto ga Suki Sugite Nyan Nyan Shitai Burakon Imouto dakedo Sunao ni Narenai no

since MAL has a hardon for super-long Japanese titles it was easy to check there. The two outstanding candidates:

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Sailor 9 Senshi Shuuketsu! Black Dream Hole no Kiseki

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star Became Music...

which one is longer depends on where you think the title ends and the subtitle begins.

Funny enough I'm sure the english translation is like 3-4 words.

wonzo

Banned

By Onii-chan no Koto ga Suki Sugite Nyan Nyan Shitai Burakon Imouto dakedo Sunao ni Narenai no you're talking about I'm a Brocon Little Sister That Loves Big Brother Too Much and Wants To Do "NyanNyan" But I Can't Be Honest, correct?

because yeah i still think that's the reigning champion

zeroshiki

Subtitles shouldn't count. They're not part of the accepted title.

Anohana still wins in my book. That or the insane Brocon LN that doesn't have an anime yet.

Gazoinks

By Onii-chan no Koto ga Suki Sugite Nyan Nyan Shitai Burakon Imouto dakedo Sunao ni Narenai no you're talking about I'm a Brocon Little Sister That Loves Big Brother Too Much and Wants To Do "NyanNyan" But I Can't Be Honest, correct?

because yeah i still think that's the reigning champion

Sounds like quality television, that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom