• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Delivery just now:
Q2YPQYul.jpg

Kinda disappointed that there's no way to disable subtitles.

Tetris song LOLOL. Just leave the scene cut out instead, damn it.

Forced subtitles is the dumbest thing.

Joe Molotov

Wha? Maybe it's because I haven't purchased many blu-rays (ps4 is my first blu-ray player) but why would you want multiple discs vs one? Is it a collector thing? Cooler bigger boxes?

It would have to be super-compressed to fit a 26 episode series on 1 Blu-Ray. More discs means more space, which means less compression/higher bitrate, which means better picture.

Hunter x hunter - 107

This episode proved some things:
-curiosity killed the cat
-Co2 is trully frightening ( and dangerous )
-Kojima was right! At least friendship can bloom on the battlefield.

Awesome shonen.

DiGiKerot

Hmm. Never considered audio. Maybe I was overestimating the blu-ray disc size.

It's not even just audio, though. Video takes up an awful lot of space, and BD compression is variable - sure, you can theoretically cram great deal of video footage onto a disk, but you'll have fewer bits of information for each second of animation if you decide to throw twenty six episodes on a BD. You're kind of wasting the advantage of the increase of resolution if you're going to smite your disks with the kind of compression artefacts that'll result.

Not to say that we should be wanting Japanese style releases with only two or three episodes a disk - that is kind of a waste of the format - but some Western releases do sometimes push a little too aggressively in terms of cramming content onto disks. Pressing costs aside, comparative to the size of the anime market, the licensing and other costs you have to pay to just master a valid, licensed video BD prior to manufacture are kinda steep. Even more than with DVD, it's in distributors best interests to keep the number of disks low, even if it's sometimes detrimental to the actual product.

For what it's worth, the UK release of Cowboy Bebop on BD is two sets of two BD50's, although the couple I've just checked (with six episodes on a piece) only weighed in between 30 and 40gb worth of content. That's probably about ideal, though.

Vito

Banned
Guess I gotta wait for the show to be old as shit. Cowboy Bebop blu-ray won't be separated into multiple discs...

hopefully

There is no way you can fit 26 episodes on a bluray disc, I suppose you're doing the math using downloaded files, but episodes with a decent bitrate are several gigs on a bluray disc.

Even if they release it as a single set you'll end up getting 4 discs.

Forced subtitles is the dumbest thing.

It's the byproduct of US sharing the same bluray region as Japan and the fear of reverse importing which is very real.

Wha? Maybe it's because I haven't purchased many blu-rays (ps4 is my first blu-ray player) but why would you want multiple discs vs one? Is it a collector thing? Cooler bigger boxes?

Video quality.

It almost makes Aniplex's releases worth the money. Almost. From what I've heard, that's why they use so many discs, and why they charge the prices they do. As much as I love Bakemonogatari, I don't know if I could justify dumping $150 into it.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 45

There was some ugly art, and some good animation mixed into one, the Cure Rose Garden is up and ready, with whatshisface getting killed off thanks to Analcondy.

The fuck is that letter? Probably something to make people come to their senses. I can't help but feel that plot device will somehow make the ending underwhelming. Then again.....

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Delivery just now:
http://i.imgur.com/Q2YPQYul.jpg

Interesting thing about the "Type A Tetris song" that we all know, it's actually from version 1.1 of Tetris. There was a version 1.0 on sale for a very brief period in Japan that had a completely different tune. We could have lived in a world where that was one of the most famous "gaming" tunes.

Jex

So, like a lunatic, I've been randomly trying to listen to a variety of anime podcasts that I know next to nothing about.

The experience was generally something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It only took me about 10 minutes to remember why I almost never try to listen to new podcasts as they are, by and large, awful.

I noticed that some problems occurred in a number of different podcasts, specifically:

1) Poor or non existent editing: When you're recording a skype conversation with two or more people and there's numerous 2 - 3 second gaps between people speaking the listening experience is seriously downgraded. Cut out that silence!

2) Inability to summarise a work succinctly: a number of 'reviews' were badly hampered by really poor the really poor synopsis given by the reviewer. They tended to focus on really specifically details or scenes about a show, namely beginning content, and then on a handful of later story beats but without explaining what the story is even about even a vague outline of the overall plot.

3) Lack of preperation and/of research. I listened to a Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure review where the reviewer stated that the manga was currently covering the third generation of Joestars. If he'd just spent five minutes on WIkipedia he'd have known better.

To give you a flavour of what I've heard I listened to an hour long discussion of Gundam 00 S2 and a podcast whose listenership, when queried about what anime world they'd like to visit, chose Sword Art Online. That's right, when given the option of visiting any fantastical of amazing world they would chose to play a videogame simulation of a fantasy world.

I know I should listen to firehawks podcast at some point. Maybe.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Delivery just now:
Q2YPQYul.jpg

That's their version of region protection. It's so JP viewers are stuck with them if they reverse import.

you know watching Gundam Seed it makes me appreciate the little things about certain anime. Things like it being pretty country-neutral with its practices and customs. Maybe it's the same with sci-fi being more westernized from what I see, but not seeing people bowing and saying itadakimasu is a breath of fresh air.

rpmurphy

Interesting thing about the "Type A Tetris song" that we all know, it's actually from version 1.1 of Tetris. There was a version 1.0 on sale for a very brief period in Japan that had a completely different tune. We could have lived in a world where that was one of the most famous "gaming" tunes.
Neat info, thanks!

Also, nice seasonal avatar.

what scene?
Episode 8 where the Katyusha song plays in the original. It was cut from the streaming broadcast, and altered for the localized home release.

Forced subtitles or no, this change is already a strong factor against reverse importing, in my opinion!

Jarmel

Banned
iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

Seriously? Like is this intentional? Like the car floating is supposed to represent how the whole sequence is some sort of illusion? But if that's the case then why does the car hit the rock as if it was driving on the road itself? Also if the car was floating, seems like somebody would have commented on a BTTF style hovercar showing up.

iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

Seriously? Like is this intentional? Like the car floating is supposed to represent how the whole sequence is some of fake illusion? But if that's the case then why does the car hit the rock as if it was driving on the road itself? Also if the car was floating, seems like somebody would have commented on a BTTF style hovercar showing up.

Lool @ that gif .. i need to watch this ep ASAP.

wonzo

Banned
iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

Seriously? Like is this intentional? Like the car floating is supposed to represent how the whole sequence is some sort of fake illusion? But if that's the case then why does the car hit the rock as if it was driving on the road itself? Also if the car was floating, seems like somebody would have commented on a BTTF style hovercar showing up.
this cant be real

Syrinx

iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

Seriously? Like is this intentional? Like the car floating is supposed to represent how the whole sequence is some sort of illusion? But if that's the case then why does the car hit the rock as if it was driving on the road itself? Also if the car was floating, seems like somebody would have commented on a BTTF style hovercar showing up.

Hahahahaha

Joe Molotov

iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

I hope the floating car turns out to be a major plot point.

The plot becomes about how the production ran out of money, so meta!

Mature

iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

Someone messed up.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 46

QUALITY!

And finally, things aren't completely boring because violence solves everything!

Almost everyone dies. Precures included. No don't make this a bigger deal than it really is.

cajunator

Banned
iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

Wheels not moving. Probably a surreal dream moment or something. Still odd.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 46

QUALITY!

And finally, things aren't completely boring because violence solves everything!

Almost everyone dies. Precures included. No don't make this a bigger deal than it really is.

That is really REALLY bad.

iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif

It's a driverless, floating Mercedes C Class! I need to buy one of these now!

K-ON!! 1-3

This is already much better than the first season. K-ON! was a well-produced but fairly typical 4-koma adaptation, with stereotypical characters, awkward comic timing, and intrusive punchlines. It was pleasant and mostly inoffensive, but not something I care to revisit. In this second season, the pacing has been smoothed out and flows more naturally, the jokes fit into their surroundings instead of sticking out poorly, and the characters actually feel like real people. The writing is more continuous and focused, instead of just stitching together 4-komas. It's not afraid to be contemplative, lingering on scenery and letting the characters be reflective.

I really liked the opening of the first episode, and later on the scene where the students were singing the school song - I appreciate that it was willing to be quiet and let the visuals express the friendship that's at the core of the series. In moments like those, it approaches the kind of "magical" realism that KyoAni perfected in Hyouka. I also liked how the third episode develops Ritsu's character, showing her as something of a spaz on the one hand, yet on the other hand as one who really does have an abiding passion in the drums. It's that kind of characterization that makes me feel like I know these people, and it's characterization that a lot of slice-of-life/4-koma shows lack.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
http://i.minus.com/iRvHFyaj7w8yf.gif[

Seriously? Like is this intentional? Like the car floating is supposed to represent how the whole sequence is some sort of fake illusion? But if that's the case then why does the car hit the rock as if it was driving on the road itself? Also if the car was floating, seems like somebody would have commented on a BTTF style hovercar showing up.

I've seen my fair share of CG cars whose wheels don't move, but CG cars that don't even move on the appropriate plane is an impressive new low for anime. Thanks for suffering through the show just to make this moment possible.

jediyoshi

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions 6

6m4xEjD.png

9QW0ZVO.png

Best episode so far by far. Show was really in need of another dude. Isshiki's a rad character with rad voice acting.
The amount of stuff going on during the train crossing scene was out of control. It felt more grounded in a real, physical location than a lot of live action shows I've been watching lately. It's like they just randomly decide to dump money all over the production of scenes out of nowhere.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
1) Poor or non existent editing: When you're recording a skype conversation with two or more people and there's numerous 2 - 3 second gaps between people speaking the listening experience is seriously downgraded. Cut out that silence!
This seems like a fairly unreasonable request given how time intensive it would be to edit the entirety of a podcast for potential pauses. Usually that sort of thing is more a symptom of the a group not having a good feel for one another. But yes, anime podcasts are mostly pretty terrible. Maybe this is actually representative of what is actual popular, but it also seems incredibly difficult to find discussion of shows that are actually decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom