• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Miki is so creepy. Dem eyes. Stares straight into your soul.

cA3t2OF.jpg

Doki Doki Precure 42

FLRiqkm.jpg
wtYVY1B.jpg

I think the way Regina reacted was obviously foreshadowing something!

Apparently, hearing about Aguri being adopted on top of Makoto's parents being dead was enough for Mana to celebrate. Douchebag Mana is a thing!
Not really but still!

"Why didn't you tell us she was adopted!?" BECAUSE PLOT, DUH!
"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US ABOUT YOUR DEAD PARENTS" Because it's not relevant to the plot, obviously.

Dream sequences return because foreshadowing! Aguri with the Screw Marriage! I rather be with grandma! Talk about awkward pairings! Regina still remembers being in bed with Mana while she read her a story! I was kind of dying over many things, but at least the show has stabilized for the most part. That being said, Rikka is still getting screwed over on this front. Aguri may not be doing much for Regina (considering how little time she has known her) but she's still getting focus as evidented by this episode and next week's episode.

You know, I still think it would be neat if there was a Precure episode that somehow managed to get away from Monster of the Week for at least one episode. DokiDoki I guess, isn't crashing hard in the last quarter of episodes like Suite did, although it kind of happened earlier, but more coherently I guess.

NEXT TIME, EXPOSED ON CAMERA! The shame! The SHAAAAME! Good thing Alice likes voyeur.

EDIT: Considering the last two episodes brought back side characters related to a specific character, why didn't they bring back Eru for this one? You know, it's a party and whatnot?

Dresden

yowamushi pedal - 09

So intense it hurts. Bulk of the episode was devoted to five hundred meters of distance on a bike, but as stretched out as the race might have been length-wise, it's so well paced that every moment, every reaction face, every dramatic still and every little bit of looped background animation feels just right.

^ my reactions, in sequence, to what happened on screen

Hagi

Yozakura 1 - 5

Really enjoying this so far. The characters are all fun and the action is great. Yae is best girl. The panty shots are a bit strange, even with all the breast fondling going on they feel a bit out of place. Bit disappointed that it's only 13 episodes, hopefully this adaptation is successful and gets a sequel.

This is probably AOTS for me.

Dresden

kill la kill - 09

Mako's family is always the best. Also lost it when Mako turned into part of the background here:

Enjoyed the episode, but the lack of a real impetus pushing Ryuko forward is starting to drag. The revenge story has lost all momentum and it's become so vague and distant an objective that the immediate story arc feels without direction. In its wake there's only the feeling of going through the motions, even as it remains clever and fun in the absence of a motive. I feel like we needed something like that by episode 7, and for it to be resolved now.

Gamagori's lines gives me some hope, though. Hope the show surprises me.

oh ... it's one of those shows. i'll try to make it past episode 7 unlike kamisama dolls.

It's a good series, really. It does get weird, though, for sure (
the fourth state of water!
), and it doesn't end up being nearly as good as it promised. It's got a weak ending and awful last episode, too. Still though, I liked Daughter of Twenty Faces overall... the main character is good, and even though it doesn't stay as good as it starts, it is interesting. I eventually did finish it.

The first test of whether you'll be able to stick with the show is coming right up, ep. 6 is the one which will finally explain why the OP/ED are what they are...

Theonik

Mari & Gali 00-10

Marika is rather adorbs
and familiar!

I like how Science can apparently make Ramen noodles from EM Waves. There is a matter of eccentric qualities to these characters, to the point that I too would love science, but I would lie my ass off just to stay longer.

That being said, it's pretty fun, and not boring, which is how I think certain subjects should be taught. Primarily history at least. I think the one time I put in full focus for History was during Summer school, mainly because of the teachers antics, and not feeling just like a teacher who is there to teach, but willing to communicate on various levels. Anywho...

What I would do to be the apple of his eye.... This dude is really weird. An Apple Fetish? Not many shows have that come to think of it.... CAPITALIZE ON THIS!

I want more of him in the future. Actually, I hope Hertz comes back as well for another challenge against Marika.
Good good.

That walking animation is stupid. They should feel bad for doing that.
When was the last time you walked on platforms whilst in a metal leotard? Yeah I thought so!

Dresden

lol

The second Blu-ray disc of the TV anime adaptation of Ishin Nishio's Nekomonogatari (Shiro) novel was released in Japan on November 27 and has sold 37,000 units. The disc gets the top place in the Oricon weekly Blu-ray sales ranking following the first volume which was released in October. Now the total unit sales of the DVD/BD of the Monogatari anime series, which combines Bakemonogatari (2009), Nisemonogatari (2012), Nekomonogatari (Kuro) (2012), and Nekomonogatari (Shiro) (2013), has surpassed 1 million, reaching 1,012,000 units as of this week.

wonzo

Banned
secret yandere

yowamushi pedal - 09

So intense it hurts. Bulk of the episode was devoted to five hundred meters of distance on a bike, but as stretched out as the race might have been length-wise, it's so well paced that every moment, every reaction face, every dramatic still and every little bit of looped background animation feels just right.

^ my reactions, in sequence, to what happened on screen
I feel really bad for dismissing this as CG Yaoi's before this season even started, especially after this amazing episode. How foolish was I…

cnet128

Banned
Tokyo Ravens

Kon is awesome.

Excuse the shitty gif.
vBCAa03.gif

You see, this is why I can't stop watching Tokyo Ravens even though it keeps focusing on the goddamn action which is what it does worst. Fuck you Tokyo Ravens. DISCLAIMER: I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but it's probably boring.

I want to transplant Kon into a better show.

I wish Tokyo Ravens had Kon in every scene.

Or that, that would also work.

She's amazing. I would totally date her if I didn't feel certain she would cheat on me with a bicycle.

kill la kill - 09

Mako's family is always the best. Also lost it when Mako turned into part of the background here:

Oh yes, that was easily the greatest scene of the episode. Mako is so best even when she's not conscious.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - Series Review

Overall I was quite satisfied in how Kai slowly and steadily gave revealed answers to the many questions I've stated while watching both seasons and at the same time providing more questions to fuck around with the mind.
I actually didn't expect Miyo to be the main villain until the reveal, though I guess the Hinamizawa Syndrome causing the afflicted to go batshit crazy had a part in it. One little tidbit that bothers me concerning Miyo being the main villain is what was the purpose of her giving the scrapbook to Rena in the first season. Said scrapbook contained occult/alien writings yet contained some amount of truth, was it to confuse Rena (and in the turn the audience?) or just old musings she grew out of over time? Another thing is why the Yamainu were in cahoots with Rena and Mion back in the first arc of the previous season? I know that the Hinamizawa Syndrone caused Keichii to kill/suicide in his own paranoia, but why would he include the Yamainu with the two girls in his head?

With regard to
the scrapbook, I think that was just Takano deliberately feeding her a mixture of truth and lies in order to lead her off the right track, because of course all lies are more convincing if they contain an element of truth, and Takano knows all the truths.

That or she just likes crazy conspiracy theories. I seem to remember there was some stuff in the VNs about
her having numerous other notebooks full of different crazy conspiracy theory explanations of Hinamizawa's mysteries, and she'd actually used one of them to convince Ooishi at one point as well. But I can't recall whether that was actually in the original canon novels or one of the embellishments added for the PS2/DS versions.

As for
the Yamainu in the first arc, Keiichi didn't imagine them, they really were after him, at least at the end. I can't recall exactly, but I suspect someone had realised that he'd contracted the disease and the Yamainu were sent to retrieve him before he did anything stupid. That or they'd realised that he was snooping around and just plain wanted to eliminate him. (He was reporting all the suspicious activity in the village to Ooishi, after all.)

That's the nasty thing about Higurashi, it's not just the disease making people prone to paranoia, there's also enough legitimately suspicious activity going on just beneath the surface to fuel that paranoia, and enough obfuscation going on to send it off in wildly incorrect directions. Takano's deliberate obfuscation is one thing, but there's also Ooishi with his long-held grudge against the Sonozakis prowling around and trying to pin everything on them.

And then there's the Sonozakis themselves. I don't think the anime ever really went into this, but for a long time, the motto of the Sonozaki family head has been essentially "Pretend you're behind everything". Whenever anything happens that could in any way be seen as benefitting the Sonozakis, the family head puts on knowing airs whether she had anything to do it or not, and that's largely how the family built up its reputation as ruthless and incredibly powerful, because everyone believes they've been pulling strings whether they actually have or not.

The most obvious depiction of this in the series is the meeting Akasaka witnesses in Himatsubushi-hen, where Oryou makes everyone believe she was behind the kidnapping of the politician's child. Since the Yamainu were involved in that kidnapping, it must have actually been the work of Takano's organisation. It's also the reason why everyone believes the Sonozakis "eliminated" Satoshi because he was a nuisance to them, when actually of course he was just taken in by the Irie Institution due to contracting Hinamizawa Syndrome.

It's a good series, really. It does get weird, though, for sure (
the fourth state of water!
, and it doesn't end up being nearly as good as it promised. It's got a weak ending and awful last episode, too. Still though, I liked Daughter of Twenty Faces overall... the main character is good, and even though it doesn't stay as good as it starts, it is interesting. I eventually did finish it.

The first test of whether you'll be able to stick with the show is coming right up, ep. 6 is the one which will finally explain why the OP is what it is...

... If I can't hack it, I'll go back to watching lain or haibane.

Ep 6

That was so ... terrible.

K-On!! is a better series because they decided to skip the 4koma format and much of the terrible source. Better characterization has nothing to do with it.

They literally skip nothing from the manga. The pacing of the second season is slower than the first because the manga's pacing also slows down. Coincidentally, the manga also gets better in the later volumes.

Kazzy

They literally skip nothing from the manga. The pacing of the second season is slower than the first because the manga's pacing also slows down. Coincidentally, the manga also gets better in the later volumes.

The anime works as a triumph of KyoAni taking what they can, and then going from there. I honestly thing the manga pales in comparison. And for all the potential clamoring for a followup - I've always held trepidation towards the idea, precisely because the continuation of the manga (college & high-school) were so weak.

Joe Molotov

Yeah. Theres a reason the girls are magical. Only their magic can defeat the enemy. Otherwise the city would just send in the SWAT.

Someone should make an anime/manga similar to the Gotham Central comic, about the lives of police officers in a city where there's magical girls.

Vito

Banned
Hozuki no Reitetsu ED is performed by Uesaka Sumire

http://www.hozukino-reitetsu.com/music/

Starts on January 9th on Animeism.

Also a better copy of the key visual for Gokukoku no Brynhildr came with the official PR: http://natalie.mu/comic/news/104967

To recap, it's manga by Okamoto Lynn, Elfen Lied's author. TV anime starts in April on Tokyo MX and other channels, directed by Kenichi Imaizumi at ARMS, script by Yukinori Kitajima, character designs adapted by Hiroaki Karasu who's also the chief AD.

Tokyo Ravens Episode 9 cHImAirA DanCE -Purification-
tumblr_mx9fs2mDMH1qblqapo1_500.png

Everyone is really friendly in this, Tenma joining in on it too for Touji and the typical Touji and Bakatora stuff going on. Its always so touching to see in the face of such intense Chimaira 01.
Touji's ogre ability form is actually really cool outfit wise

Joe Molotov

The first Precure series I watched was Smile, and they handled it in a somewhat clever way of having everyone fall into a sadness coma or whatever, but then in Dokidoki you got civilians just running around everywhere (although maybe the Precure magic that repairs everything after the battle erases people's memories too). I went back and watched some Heartcatch and it's the same thing.

cajunator

Banned
The first Precure series I watched was Smile, and they handled it in a somewhat clever way of having everyone fall into a sadness coma or whatever, but then in Dokidoki you got civilians just running around everywhere (although maybe the Precure magic that repairs everything after the battle erases people's memories too). I went back and watched some Heartcatch and it's the same thing.

Pretty much thats how most magical girl shows do it. Even Madoka Magica conveniently has battles take place where the normal world cannot be affected
(except in one very significant instance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom