• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for anyone who feels like answering:

For someone who has limited experience with Gundam and other mecha series, is Gundam Build Fighters worth picking up even if I'm not able to detect a lot of the references? I've watched shows like Full Metal Panic and Code Geass, but the last Gundam I tried was 00 with a friend and we just never bothered finishing it. I honestly don't remember the last time I finished a Gundam season.

Considering picking it up after I get through some of my anime backlog.

CorvoSol

Umetsu not content to sit back and watch Watanabe save anime by himself.

The Takahashi Rin-ne..?

Rin-ne: The Flower of Lagrange.

For someone who has limited experience with Gundam and other mecha series, is Gundam Build Fighters worth picking up even if I'm not able to detect a lot of the references? I've watched shows like Full Metal Panic and Code Geass, but the last Gundam I tried was 00 with a friend and we just never bothered finishing it. I honestly don't remember the last time I finished a Gundam season.

It's pretty cute. A lot of the matchups run on fan-service, but if you're a fan of sweet 2d mecha action it is still worth it for that. The plot is sort of fluff, but inoffensive fluff.

Joe Molotov

Because when the power puff girls are toppling buildings and stuff, a cop is just another potential victim.

Still, you think at the very least they would warrant a passing mention. Something like "Hey, you guys remember that time we almost got killed by a giant anthropomorphic soccer ball and then we got saved by some brightly dressed girls? That was crazy!"

I tried watching it as a guy who has almost zero experience with Gundam but a decent experience with mechs. It wasn't enjoyable for me. But then again the format of a kid's anime show didn't help (aka the whole world seems to revolve around this children's hobby).

Gazoinks

I tried watching it as a guy who has almost zero experience with Gundam but a decent experience with mechs. It wasn't enjoyable for me. But then again the format of a kid's anime show didn't help (aka the whole world seems to revolve around this children's hobby).

Yeah, I had a similar experience with the first episode. The mech animation is purty, but everything around it was uninteresting. Probably worth watching some of the best Gundam shows and the coming back to it with renewed appreciation. I'm going to do that at some point.

Rin-ne: The Flower of Lagrange.

Is it any good? I read a barebones summary on Wikipedia and it seems to have the interesting premise I was looking for (okay not really, I was thinking of something that would be more along the lines of magical girls fighting mechs piloted by teenage boys, but this seems okay too).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Coppelion Episode 10:

I would also have liked it if Aoi had stayed in that storeroom, clearly Medical Unit standards need a bit of an upgrade. Anyway, no matter how many speed up clocks they keep stuff into this arc, this is starting to drag like something out of One Piece. Also, calling bullshit on that Habuse getting stopped so easily by Kanon Ozu; clearly done for narrative convenience and having Haruto formally pick a side.

Nordicus

Through the course of about a week, I watched the entirety of OreImo.

So let me get this straight, the ending came out of demand for "Kirino path" and at the same time not wanting to promote incest? Yeah, I can kinda see that. Bridges burnt, nobody won.

I liked Manami during the final episode (although I wish this colder side of her was foreshadowed a bit more), and wanted more scenes similar to when the parents were suspicious of the strange relationship between Kyousuke and Kirino.

I had read the manga before watching this, and the manga stopped at a point where I was still in Team Manami. Now I ended up in Team Kuroneko, because those few episodes with her and Kyousuke were HNGtastic

CorvoSol

Still, you think at the very least they would warrant a passing mention. Something like "Hey, you guys remember that time we almost got killed by a giant anthropomorphic soccer ball and then we got saved by some brightly dressed girls? That was crazy!"

I just figure the cops are busy arresting criminals and keeping the peace. Magical girls have to fight monsters or whatever anc cops are doin' their own thing.

Kyoukai No Kanata 10

Jesus this show has been pretty decent these last few episodes. If this goes on from here until the end of the season, it'll have a pulled a reverse Walking Dead (aka shitty earlier, got better later in the season). Also known as pulling a Korra season 2.

Next episode looks pretty sweet, action-wise.

Might as well get this over w/, can't recall if I gave thoughts yesterday.

Heroic Age Series
I remember watching this earlier on in my animu watching phase and didn't like it so I stopped early on. Tried it again and it was enjoyable enough. Some battles dragged on and most characters were pretty damn boring or had zero to no development, let alone much dialogue, but the characters of Age the Princess and 3 of the other 4 monster people really made the show. It was worth watching by far.

Yama no Susume - 01~13
2yR9oOA.png

That was a nice way to pass 30 minutes. lol
When Theonik said it was Long OP/ED I thought it would be like Aiura, but it was just a short ending and story reletad to boot, no Jobs x Crab shit.
This should always be remembered as the "Save me internet" anime.
Now I joint the wait for season two and some more "mountain" climbing.

Marie & Gali Ver 2.0 - 03

hRJ3app.png

This is fun! This is fun!

I never asked for
DTL
on my Marie & Gali.

It's pretty cute. A lot of the matchups run on fan-service, but if you're a fan of sweet 2d mecha action it is still worth it for that. The plot is sort of fluff, but inoffensive fluff.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with the first episode. The mech animation is purty, but everything around it was uninteresting. Probably worth watching some of the best Gundam shows and the coming back to it with renewed appreciation. I'm going to do that at some point.

I've enjoyed the mecha shows I've mentioned before and I've watched all of Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters so as separate concepts (mecha and children's hobby) I've been okay with it. Wasn't sure how the two put together would work, though. Hearing from you guys, it doesn't sound like it's too terrible nor does it sound particularly amazing for those unfamiliar with Gundam.

Thanks everyone for your responses! Think I'll test run an episode tonight and see if it grabs me. If not, I'll probably put this on the backburner and figure out what season of Gundam would be worth watching all the way through. Feel like I missed the boat on the franchise.

Gazoinks

I've enjoyed the mecha shows I've mentioned before and I've watched all of Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters so as separate concepts (mecha and children's hobby) I've been okay with it. Wasn't sure how the two put together would work, though. Hearing from you guys, it doesn't sound like it's too terrible nor does it sound particularly amazing for those unfamiliar with Gundam.

Thanks everyone for your responses! Think I'll test run an episode tonight and see if it grabs me. If not, I'll probably put this on the backburner and figure out what season of Gundam would be worth watching all the way through. Feel like I missed the boat on the franchise.

You should watch whatever one Corvo was raging about a while ago (AGE?). That way there's nowhere to go but up.

You should watch whatever one Corvo was raging about a while ago (AGE?). That way there's nowhere to go but up.

I'm currently watching seed. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I mean the main character's crying is fucking hilarious, but outside of that it's decent. I hear it's infamous for reusing battle footage but I haven't noticed.

It seems to be the most hated for the sequel, seed destiny, but the first season is 50 episodes and I recently reached the halfway point. So I won't find out why Seed Destiny is so hated for quite some time.

CorvoSol

AGE, Victory and 00 post season 1 have all elicited lengthy swear words from me. In honesty, AGE > Victory > 00 S2 is how I'd rank them. Blasphemy to place AGE so high, but I fucking hate Victory and at the very least AGE has the decency to switch protagonists once every seventeen episodes.

I'm currently watching seed. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I mean the main character's crying is fucking hilarious, but outside of that it's decent. I hear it's infamous for reusing battle footage but I haven't noticed.

It seems to be the most hated for the sequel, seed destiny, but the first season is 50 episodes and I recently reached the halfway point. So I won't find out why Seed Destiny is so hated for quite some time.

I like SEED, and I actually like SEED Destiny. SEED Destiny still sucks and SEED's character designs blooooow.

Gazoinks

AGE, Victory and 00 post season 1 have all elicited lengthy swear words from me. In honesty, AGE > Victory > 00 S2 is how I'd rank them. Blasphemy to place AGE so high, but I fucking hate Victory and at the very least AGE has the decency to switch protagonists once every seventeen episodes.

I like SEED, and I actually like SEED Destiny. SEED Destiny still sucks and SEED's character designs blooooow.

Since we're talking about this, were would you recommend starting with Gundam? It's all kind of confusing.

PsionBolt

Well, I was thinking something along these lines. You have two central protagonists.

One is a regular young pre-teen girl who gets mixed in with the supernatural in a mecha-warfare setting. She gets her traditional magical girl enemy (witches, dark lords, etc.)

The other is a male teenage mecha pilot, who's got his standard warfare enemies (evil countries, political enemies, etc.)

Now imagine those paths twisting together. The mecha pilot ends up fighting against the magical girl enemy and the magical girl ends up having to deal with real-world enemies. The two protagonists fight each other, then they work together, etc.

It could provide a very interesting mix between real-world (that just so happens to have mechas) and fantasy. In almost every magical girl show I've watched, the girls always work in secret, away from all those government powers. What if they weren't so secret? What if the real world caught on to the magical girl world? With that context, I think a mechas V.S. magical girl show could indeed work.

Or it could be utter pandemonium. Either way it would be fun to watch.

I'm positive I've read something like this, but the details escape my memory... I recall the various factions arguing about authorization, and a lot of coming and going from a bedroom window. I think someone drove a motorcycle in at one point. I'm not sure if there were real robot mechs, but I definitely remember super sentai style mechs. It might have been a oneshot or doujin.

As far as anime goes, it's not that different of a premise from the average mecha musume show. Vividred Operation, Strike Witches, Nanoha Strikers, Symphogear, that sort of thing. The only thing is that they're usually all on one team instead of being unrelated factions. Which is a decently big difference, I suppose.

Jex

[Valvrave] - General Thoughts

I know this is pretty obvious to most mecha fans, but I had only just considered that the concept of the enhanced humans bears some resemblance to Gundam's concept of a Newtype.

In various Gundam works newtypes, or newtype-like beings, are generally seen as a the next beautiful step in human evolution that's going to lead everyone to have magical-floating-pyschic-naked-time and live together in peace because of psychic connections and stuff. This is generally seen as a good thing.

Meanwhile the concept of evolved humans also exists in Valvrave except is more of a terrible curse that's fuelled by consuming the literal lifeforce of lesser humans. Haruto has stated that his goal is actually to halt this 'next step' however he can.

It's just interesting how Valvrave has a much more cynical approach on the same basic idea. The assumption in the Valvrave universe is that the 'evolved humans' are for more likely to seek power for themselves and feed on others than lead them to a new golden age of peace and understanding.

It's time for Woofington attempts to talk to his friend who is really into anime Monster Girls after weeks of not talking:

Woofington: Why hello there friend. 'tis a beautiful day don't you agree? Pray-tell how is your life going?

Friend: **sexual discussion of monster girls**

Woofington: .....

*Woofington has signed off from Steam*

Tenumi

Banned
I bet Novid would come up with a crazy conspiracy theory tying them back to Saban and the animation Illuminati. :(

I miss Novid in a weird sort of antagonistic way. So much fun to watch even if you don't take a word of it seriously...

Also, I'm-a spoilin' mah Precures! I need to stop reading and get to watching ASAP.

Narag

Corvo softening on AGE with age

It's time for Woofington attempts to talk to his friend who is really into anime Monster Girls after weeks of not talking:

Paste the goods

I miss Novid in a weird sort of antagonistic way. So much fun to watch even if you don't take a word of it seriously...

Also, I'm-a spoilin' mah Precures! I need to stop reading and get to watching ASAP.

Spoilers! Mana is an asshole, and I am strangely enjoying this.

Noucome 9
As usual, Yukihara is the best girl. Very funny especially the first half with all the choices. I think I figured out who is making the choices

Since we're talking about this, were would you recommend starting with Gundam? It's all kind of confusing.

If you can handle the old-school animation, start with the first series. Or the compilation movies, which are actually worth watching. After that, either watch the UC part of the franchise in production order, or do it in chronological order (which is what I did), which would mean watching 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083 (which has fantastic animation and mecha design but abysmal writing), Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Unicorn (which isn't finished yet, but the final episode's coming out next year), F91, and then optionally read Crossbone, and possibly watch Victory (but as a disclaimer, it's incredibly divisive: Corvo had a meltdown in the middle of it and ragequit it).

If you can't, then I dunno, start with one of the '90s ones. I've heard a lot of people got their start with 08th MS Team and its Vietnam-film-but-with-Gundams feel. Then, once you're hooked, watch the other UC stuff.

The alternate universe series are sort of optional, but some of them are quite good. G Gundam is really over-the-top and goofy, but really fun if you like that sort of thing (I do). Wing is really boring, IMHO. I haven't seen Gundam X yet, but I've never heard anything but praise for it from people who've seen it. I also haven't seen Turn A Gundam yet, but it's widely regarded to be one of the very best Gundam series. SEED is divisive; some people like it, others hate it (I'm in the latter camp). SEED Destiny is awful. 00 had a solid first season (IMHO), a bad second season, and a terrible movie. I skipped AGE because I had a feeling it would suck, and I had a smug feeling of self-satisfaction when I read various bloggers' final impressions, which seemed to agree that it was even worse than SEED Destiny.

Are you sure you can really call this guy your "friend"?

Prior to Monster Girls he was the only guy I could talk of anime without reservations. You know, jokingly discussing waifus, recommending anime to each other, etc...

So which do you like more, lamias or manticores?

He just sent me a poll listing a bunch of names, I recognize lamias from the list. But I don't even. I choose Pikachu.

Time to sit him down for an intervention.

I've told him I don't care for monster girls at all. Telling him he's too obsessed with them might be the next step.

In a different topic, I ask this of Gundam fans: what does it mean when Gundams turn gray? I used to think they couldn't move anymore, but I just saw them move. Does it mean they can't use energy weapons?

The only thing is that they're usually all on one team instead of being unrelated factions. Which is a decently big difference, I suppose.

Exactly. I want a real world V.S. magical world kind of scenario. In every magical girl show I've watched, they were always mainly focused on the girls trying to adapt to this new magical life of theirs to balance it out with every day life.

Well, what if one guy didn't think that magical girls was the next best thing since sliced bread? What if one person thought that humans could advance forward with their own mecha creations rather than magical girls? Thus, an opposition is created between two factions.

I know many superhero comics do things like this, but I've never seen this done with magical girls and mechas. If done right, this genre combination could work really well.

You should arrange for him to be sent to the least otaku place possible for a while. Football camp or something. Fish out of water comedy of the year!

He converts everyone else into monster girl lovers, waifu wars emerge "lamias don't even have butts, fuck off!" and friendships are torn apart. Written by Mari Okada.

Dynedom

[Valvrave] - General Thoughts

I know this is pretty obvious to most mecha fans, but I had only just considered that the concept of the enhanced humans bears some resemblance to Gundam's concept of a Newtype.

In various Gundam works newtypes, or newtype-like beings, are generally seen as a the next beautiful step in human evolution that's going to lead everyone to have magical-floating-pyschic-naked-time and live together in peace because of psychic connections and stuff. This is generally seen as a good thing.

Meanwhile the concept of evolved humans also exists in Valvrave except is more of a terrible curse that's fuelled by consuming the literal lifeforce of lesser humans. Haruto has stated that his goal is actually to halt this 'next step' however he can.

It's just interesting how Valvrave has a much more cynical approach on the same basic idea. The assumption in the Valvrave universe is that the 'evolved humans' are for more likely to seek power for themselves and feed on others than lead them to a new golden age of peace and understanding.

I think the cynicism is in part drawn from the genesis of evolved humans in Valvrave. I'm not as up to snuff with my Gundam knowledge as I once was (and Unicorn I think might help with some explanations) but Newtypes were something that evolved naturally from the migration to Space (unless I'm mistaken). Valvrave seems to be more of a cynical look at the possible acts of playing god.

edit: I believe I drew comparisons of Haruto
meeting his father
and Amuro
meeting his own
but I think the Haruto situation is actually a combination of Amuro's experience and Kira Yamato
learning about how his parents made him a coordinator.

CorvoSol

So what you need to know is that Gundam is divided into time-lines. Basically there is Universal Century and any show not part of it is probably in a timeline of its own.

Best places to jump on UC are Mobile Suit Gundam and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.

Good other introductions to Gundam are G, Wing, and SEED. G is a super robot show but several key Gundam themes are explored along the way. Wing is a condensed and flashier version of the first few Universal Century shows and serves as a good intro to the way Gundam is in general. SEED is a reimagining of Mobile Suit Gundam with, shall we say, more modern anime conventions than those of MSG.

Personally I'd recommend starting on Mobile Suit Gundam and Wing. That way you get the feeling of a classic Gundam show and to see how the whole franchise began (I'm rewatching MSG again right now and loving it. It's a timeless show) and you get a flashier show to see why the franchise is so hilariously popular at the same time. I would like to add that you should not take Wing as seriously as Mobile Suit Gundam.

Corvo softening on AGE with age

Rather, I'm learning that I was mistaken when I said that AGE was the worst Gundam ever because I've discovered that Victory and 00's 2nd season are way, way worse. What I AM softening on is 00's 1st season. I'm not a huge fan of it still, but SRWZ2 has soothed my fury.

Dynedom

Corvo, did you ever finish Victory? IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED IT, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THE SPOILER.

If you did: can you link me to your reaction post regarding
the zero-G bikini assault
? I could use a good laugh before I go to bed.

Narag

OO S1 was legit. The bait and switch in s2 burns so bad though. How do you start with Solid Setsuna and cloaked Exia then regress so bad?

Don't get me started on Mr. Bushifo either, whoever he was.

Theonik

Meanwhile I just learned today that a person from my Japanese class is a MGQ fan.
Introduce me to him. I have a feeling we'd get along just great.

He converts everyone else into monster girl lovers, waifu wars emerge "lamias don't even have butts, fuck off!" and friendships are torn apart. Directed by Mari Okada.
You are not hating on lamias are you *cracks knuckles*

cnet128

Banned
Tokyo Ravens 9

I guess that was actually pretty fun for Tokyo Ravens action.
Touji learning to control his demon within the space of a few minutes
was perhaps a little excessively convenient but I don't even care because
demon powers
are pretty awesome. I still have no fucking idea what's going on with all the weird politics and adults who like acting mysterious in this show though. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but all their enigmatic and "meaningful" ramblings just make me tune out completely.

Show still needs 200% more Kon. Bad giant demon thing, don't flick Kon aside. Show a little respect for the best character in your godforsaken show.

Oh, and the floating car, amusing though it would have been if it was an error, was sadly quite clearly intentional.

Don't get me started on Mr. Bushido either, whoever he was.

You should hear some of his quotes from Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3:

"You're just like a sleeping beauty! If only I could embrace you Gundam...!"

"I've got to be a little more forceful to get Gundam to cooperate."

Love Mr. Bushido lol

Of all the anime..

I hope Karneval, Tokyo Ravens, and Code:Breaker see similar releases.

It's hard to say with FUNimation, but I do remember them stating they had a few series that would be getting a premium release, like Serial Experiment Lain and Guilty Crown, in 2014.

I wish more premium or limited edition releases actually came with an OST instead of all this bonus stuff that is only good for shelf space.

cajunator

Banned
New Wizard Barristers PV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DU5Aa0BAs8

OP: "Justitia" by Lia
ED: "Blue Topaz" by Rui Tanabe

Wow Japan, you suck at PR. Had to go and replace the video url.

Still interested. I like Mezzo DSA art style and the action stuff.

Boo at Right Stuf.

This pops up on their Twitter feed

That link goes to this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI4FlTMZAR8

This is bullshit but its a clever joke.

Well, I was thinking something along these lines. You have two central protagonists.

One is a regular young pre-teen girl who gets mixed in with the supernatural in a mecha-warfare setting. She gets her traditional magical girl enemy (witches, dark lords, etc.)

The other is a male teenage mecha pilot, who's got his standard warfare enemies (evil countries, political enemies, etc.)

Now imagine those paths twisting together. The mecha pilot ends up fighting against the magical girl enemy and the magical girl ends up having to deal with real-world enemies. The two protagonists fight each other, then they work together, etc.

It could provide a very interesting mix between real-world (that just so happens to have mechas) and fantasy. In almost every magical girl show I've watched, the girls always work in secret, away from all those government powers. What if they weren't so secret? What if the real world caught on to the magical girl world? With that context, I think a mechas V.S. magical girl show could indeed work.

Or it could be utter pandemonium. Either way it would be fun to watch.

This would actually be an interesting concept and Im trying to think if it has been done or not. Escaflowne maybe comes closest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom