• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Can't believe I got called a newswhore and tryhard on Twitter by the same guy who's also now posting to GAF the minute any news hits.

Jarmel

Banned
1dDgwJW.gif

Pretty crazy week last week with Thanksgiving and all. Time to pop back in here briefly!

Yowamushi Pedal 9

I can just feel myself getting attached to these characters more and more with each episode. As of last week, I was thinking that they were starting to stretch out this particular race too long, but come the end of it, I'm really glad they did. Felt extremely satisfying from beginning to end. If I can get this excited when it's a race between team members, I can only imagine how intense it'll be once they start competing against other schools.

I've only been able to keep up with a few shows this season (I'm still slowly trying to finish things from Spring/Summer) and I'm glad I've been staying up to date with this one!

The first Precure series I watched was Smile, and they handled it in a somewhat clever way of having everyone fall into a sadness coma or whatever, but then in Dokidoki you got civilians just running around everywhere (although maybe the Precure magic that repairs everything after the battle erases people's memories too). I went back and watched some Heartcatch and it's the same thing.
There is no memory wipe in the precure verse ... your either asleep or awake..

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The first Precure series I watched was Smile, and they handled it in a somewhat clever way of having everyone fall into a sadness coma or whatever, but then in Dokidoki you got civilians just running around everywhere (although maybe the Precure magic that repairs everything after the battle erases people's memories too). I went back and watched some Heartcatch and it's the same thing.
Real magical girls have bystanders!

How would that even work?
Maybe something like Kiddy Grade?

Well, I was thinking something along these lines. You have two central protagonists.

One is a regular young pre-teen girl who gets mixed in with the supernatural in a mecha-warfare setting. She gets her traditional magical girl enemy (witches, dark lords, etc.)

The other is a male teenage mecha pilot, who's got his standard warfare enemies (evil countries, political enemies, etc.)

Now imagine those paths twisting together. The mecha pilot ends up fighting against the magical girl enemy and the magical girl ends up having to deal with real-world enemies. The two protagonists fight each other, then they work together, etc.

It could provide a very interesting mix between real-world (that just so happens to have mechas) and fantasy. In almost every magical girl show I've watched, the girls always work in secret, away from all those government powers. What if they weren't so secret? What if the real world caught on to the magical girl world? With that context, I think a mechas V.S. magical girl show could indeed work.

Or it could be utter pandemonium. Either way it would be fun to watch.

Anime drama vs AnimeGAF drama

Anime drama, most definitely.

Anime drama is mostly the same, and you can skip to the end if you wanted to.

AnimeGAF drama on the other hand, you never know how its gonna turn out every time. It's also much more chaotic. AnimeGAF drama is way better.

Vito

Banned
I like the character designs and I hope they managed to use all the silly faces from the manga. Granted the story is absolute bullshit with the author constantly pulling bs twists.

Soma

I still legitimately liked Nisekoi when it first started. I think it was around when Marika was introduced was when I gave up on it though due to the status quo being constantly maintained.

I don't have any hopes that the anime will be an improvement but I'm still pretty interested to see what Shinbo brings to the adaption.

Also a better copy of the key visual for Gokukoku no Brynhildr came with the official PR: http://natalie.mu/comic/news/104967

To recap, it's manga by Okamoto Lynn, Elfen Lied's author. TV anime starts in April on Tokyo MX and other channels, directed by Kenichi Imaizumi at ARMS, script by Yukinori Kitajima, character designs adapted by Hiroaki Karasu who's also the chief AD.
Get hype. (spoiler) First page of the manga for the curious. (spoiler) I put a warning there even though it's the absolute first page because... well, yeah.

I still legitimately liked Nisekoi when it first started. I think it was around when Marika was introduced was when I gave up on it though due to the status quo being constantly maintained.
Marika is the best keyblade wielder and should've inspired you to keep reading.

Mondy

Banned
To recap, it's manga by Okamoto Lynn, Elfen Lied's author. TV anime starts in April on Tokyo MX and other channels, directed by Kenichi Imaizumi at ARMS, script by Yukinori Kitajima, character designs adapted by Hiroaki Karasu who's also the chief AD.

You have my attention.

Hozuki no Reitetsu ED is performed by Uesaka Sumire

http://www.hozukino-reitetsu.com/music/

Starts on January 9th on Animeism.

Also a better copy of the key visual for Gokukoku no Brynhildr came with the official PR: http://natalie.mu/comic/news/104967

Whoa, wtf! Did this just get announced or have we known about a Brynhildr anime for a while now?

I am fuckin hyped! It's like a more action-oriented and slightly more optimistic Elfen Lied.

Jex

Ghost in the Shell Arise - Border:2

Hmmm. I don't really know how I feel about this. It's not bad in any technical way, but it's also not that interesting, and doesn't feel particularly unique or special. I'm not impressed in any way by this installment, but if this were just two-episode arc in a longer TV series it wouldn't be offensive. It's just sort of disappointing that after two entries in a four-part OVA, the entire thing doesn't feel noteworthy in any way. There isn't any sort of signature represented in the material, and it feels like a series of mainstream action/thriller stories which just happen to be using the Ghost in the Shell brand.

While the first entry felt heavily inspired by The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, this entry feels like any of the numerous number of bland action movies from Hollywood these days with a hacking threat. Stuff like Die Hard 4 definitely come to mind. While the animation is pretty good, I found it hard to get engaged with most of the story, and the action was pretty unexciting to be honest. It feels more like watching a munch of stunt actors go through the motions without any emotions or motivations. A lot of it can probably be chalked up to poor direction and a total lack of ambition.

I don't really expect much out of IG these days anyway, so this wasn't painful to sit through. It just wasn't as entertaining as the first one. Oh well. It won't matter since everyone will probably have forgotten about it by the time the next one comes around in 7 months. Lol.
While this is disappointing news I can't say that it's surprising in anyway. Since it's announcement, the Arise project has seemed like a project that was designed to play it safe and rake in some cash from one of their most popular properties.

jediyoshi

Beyond the Boundary 10

IPz1lGx.png

aUPpp1d.png

Fuck yeah cold open into OP

I'm glad at this point they went ahead and spelled almost everything out. The non-linear bits in the first act were a little confusing but
putting another twist within the twist
was a nice touch. No idea what the rest of this season would even consist of.
Another recap ep or two from Iori's or the other youmu's perspectives?

I teared up a little, it's too early for this.

You sure those aren't doujins you're reading?

I can most definitely assure you, that it wasn't a doujin, but a genuine article (or comic in this case). Can't post because... the obvious rules.

*Thinker back to DDPC* Regina yelling at Ace for being a main character. Mana stole the spotlight so much that she doesn't even care anymore (sadly I'm the same here), Ace stole her spot as well (totes). Dat aligned thought process.

EDIT: Aguri never been to a birthday party. Makoto's and Mana's birthdays passed after they met her....

Jex

[Toriko] - 132

Shit is getting real, like, really real. Except that, as a result of traditional shounen TV pacing, it's getting real kind of gradually. But still. In two, three maybe four episodes stuff will be happening all right.

CorvoSol

Well, the "you'll back on it and laugh one day" strategy works any time throughout college! Just imagine how great you'll feel after you've submiited your last paper this sem!

I will probably feel tired. And stoked to go home for Christmas. and tired.

Why don't the cops ever get called to the scene of a Precure battle?

Because when the power puff girls are toppling buildings and stuff, a cop is just another potential victim.

You know what I would like to see? Magical girls in a setting with mecha warfare.

That's basically what Rin-ne is.

I don't think I read this, but Hiroyuki's Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to (The Comic Artist and His Assistants) will be getting an anime adaption. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-04/hiroyuki-comic-artist-and-his-assistants-manga-gets-tv-anime This is the artist behind Doujin Work, and others may recognize his art from this meme.

x5ee4b796c68c11e2917a22000a9f1587_6.jpg.pagespeed.ic.iBCIEvSfsg.jpg

I really hope the Drama CD seiyuu are kept. Seiyuu can be found under the Credits section.
Or...Crunchyroll has the Drama CD cast.

I'm really excited for this. I read half of the manga, but stopped at the halfway point. An anime adaptation should be cool.

I'm really excited for this. I read half of the manga, but stopped at the halfway point. An anime adaptation should be cool.

I will definitely watch this, and even more so if the Drama CD cast is back.

Jun Fukuyama, Mamiko Noto, Haruka Tomatsu, Aki Toyosaki, Rie Kugimiya, Eiji Miyashita, and Hikaru Midorikawa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom