• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! FuckUpCure 5 GoGo 42

Going back to this for a moment

Ug5x8ik.png

God DAMN IT TOEI! The story is based on Ali Baba and the Forty Theives.

WHY ARE THERE ONLY THIRTY NINE SYRUPS?!

IIRC, this series was one of their most breakout shows from that season so not surprising they are going to go all out for its release.

Narag

So if Arti and Vito annihilate one another, who is next in the line of succession of anime news guys?

You should hear some of his quotes from Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3:

"You're just like a sleeping beauty! If only I could embrace you Gundam...!"

"I've got to be a little more forceful to get Gundam to cooperate."

Love Mr. Bushido lol

lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RightStuf has listed FUNimation's
expensive
LE of Kamisama Kiss. http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main...turnTo=Archive

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...m/100848/4/0/0

Here's the preview picture from the page listing.

Of all the anime..

I hope Karneval, Tokyo Ravens, and Code:Breaker see similar releases.

Kamisama Kiss is the best of those shows and, more realistically, girls are probably more likely to spring for the extra features.

Andrew J.

Kyoukai no Kanata 10

This series has always been a shameless attempt at aping -monogatari (supernatural action in a high-school setting with characters who openly discuss their sexual perversions for comedic value) but with a higher budget and almost none of the cleverness. This episode, though, finally brought some smarter writing. The twists and reveals were all executed competently, and the time allotted to the sex jokes were scaled back enough to get out of the uncanny valley of awkwardness between "amusing" and "Nisioisin".

CorvoSol

Corvo, did you ever finish Victory? IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED IT, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THE SPOILER.

If you did: can you link me to your reaction post regarding
the zero-G bikini assault
? I could use a good laugh before I go to bed.

I did not, but I saw it after the fact. At that point I had no fury left. I burned out before the bells. I think I got to
the episode after Mueller's death and then quit forever.

OO S1 was legit. The bait and switch in s2 burns so bad though. How do you start with Solid Setsuna and cloaked Exia then regress so bad?

Don't get me started on Mr. Bushifo either, whoever he was.

Honestly S2's start had me interested in the show, then it just crashed so damn hard. 00 S1 was okay. I feel like I should like it more, since it has this FMP meets Wing feel going on, but I dunno. I was really put off by the incredibly stupid Hallelujah/Alleluia thing.

Narag

Was there a rule in Highlander if the two last guys off each other at the same time? Somebody who's actually watched it inform me!

that's unposible

Honestly S2's start had me interested in the show, then it just crashed so damn hard. 00 S1 was okay. I feel like I should like it more, since it has this FMP meets Wing feel going on, but I dunno. I was really put off by the incredibly stupid Hallelujah/Alleluia thing.

Kinda liked that angle myself. Melodrama associated with that and Soma though? No thanks.

Marie!! x 100

Pink Tieren Taozi was moe though.

Gundam Seed 17-32

1. I'm glad this show didn't go the incest route. Lannisters in robots would've been weird.
2. Kira has dem crazy eyes all over again.
3. When she's dancing 'neath the starry sky, I kinda like the way she dips, Well she's my best friend's girl! SHE'S MY BEST FRIEND'S GI-IIIIIIIIIIRL!
AND CHANCES ARE SHE'LL BE MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE [if the credits are to be believed and it goes both waaaaaaaaaays]
dYKbEHs.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata- 10

This is the worst directed episode I have ever seen come out of Kyoto Animation and one of the worst I've just seen in a long time. Oh man. It really proves how well done the
Homura flashback was done in Madoka
. The writing itself isn't that bad but the direction is vomit.

No joke. It's disjointed as fuck, full of talk, the first half is a complete waste and missed what they were trying to go for, and it's disjointed as fuck.

CorvoSol

that's unposible

Kinda liked that angle myself. Melodrama associated with that and Soma though? No thanks.

Marie!! x 100

Pink Tieren Taozi was moe though.

Soma was promising at the start of S2, though, because of her relationship with Smirnov.
Then Smirnov's son killed him for no reason and I flipped a lid.
That 2nd season could've really saved 00, but it sucked so bad that I hate 00 most now. Mostly because unlike AGE or Victory, I really wanted 00 to be good.

cajunator

Banned
Beyond the Boundary 10

IPz1lGx.png

aUPpp1d.png

Fuck yeah cold open into OP

I'm glad at this point they went ahead and spelled almost everything out. The non-linear bits in the first act were a little confusing but
putting another twist within the twist
was a nice touch. No idea what the rest of this season would even consist of.
Another recap ep or two from Iori's or the other youmu's perspectives?

I teared up a little, it's too early for this.

KyoAni knows its audience and what they really want

I don't think I read this, but Hiroyuki's Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to (The Comic Artist and His Assistants) will be getting an anime adaption. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-04/hiroyuki-comic-artist-and-his-assistants-manga-gets-tv-anime This is the artist behind Doujin Work, and others may recognize his art from this meme.

x5ee4b796c68c11e2917a22000a9f1587_6.jpg.pagespeed.ic.iBCIEvSfsg.jpg

I really hope the Drama CD seiyuu are kept. Seiyuu can be found under the Credits section.
Or...Crunchyroll has the Drama CD cast.

Another show to add to my eventual watchlist.

Is it any good? I read a barebones summary on Wikipedia and it seems to have the interesting premise I was looking for (okay not really, I was thinking of something that would be more along the lines of magical girls fighting mechs piloted by teenage boys, but this seems okay too).

Lagrange is pretty fun. The writing is all over the place but theres lovely yuri and Madoka and Lan are hnnnnngh. I liked it enough to buy it.

Vito

Banned
Since a couple of pages back someone said why they don't cram entire series on a single disc, highway robbery, etc. There's Japanese guy that runs a reverser import blog:

http://teramiya.blog14.fc2.com/

So if you wanted to know how US vs JPN releases compare bitrate-wise:

michiko_and_hatchin_ep1_chart.png

Thankfully aside from already lower prices than in Japan, Sentai and Funi releases can be had for at least 40% off MSRP. I'm not a videophile so I can't tell how much bitrate usually affects the release, but for example Funi's Lain was pretty bad in terms of banding.

I hear the Italian publisher Dynit has a competent encode, in fact their Madoka discs were better than the Japanese release.

Kansoku

Kyoukai no Kanata - 10

It was a good episode when I wasn't trying to figure out what is
a dream, or reality, or memories, or another dimension (Near the end, it appears to me that Mirai is in[/in] the Beyond the Boundary like they were in the Hollow Shadow.)

cajunator

Banned
Yama no Susume - 01~13

That was a nice way to pass 30 minutes. lol
When Theonik said it was Long OP/ED I thought it would be like Aiura, but it was just a short ending and story reletad to boot, no Jobs x Crab shit.
This should always be remembered as the "Save me internet" anime.
Now I joint the wait for season two and some more "mountain" climbing.

Marie & Gali Ver 2.0 - 03

I never asked for
DTL
on my Marie & Gali.

So adorable. This will be watched someday.

It's time for Woofington attempts to talk to his friend who is really into anime Monster Girls after weeks of not talking:

Heehee. Gotta admire his spirit!

Noucome 9
As usual, Yukihara is the best girl. Very funny especially the first half with all the choices. I think I figured out who is making the choices

Yes, she is. AlthougH Ive only seen one episode. shes very quirky and strange. but so cute!
I havent seen what Chocolat is like though.

cnet128

Banned
BlazBlue Alter Memory 9

Dark Tsubaki get

Hazama doing Hazama things

Mofumofu Makoto being bestest friend of all bestest friends (but doomed to fail at this point because seriously gais it's Hazama and Phantom they're too fucking OP for anyone to handle WHY ARE YOU NOT RUNNING RIGHT NOW DID YOU NOT HEAR THE BIG RED MAN)

Also Ragna and Jin but does anybody actually care about Ragna and Jin as an actual plot element? I mean, I know their enmity has got to be ostensibly a thing because it was a big part of the original concept of the series, and it's still valuable for humorous elements, but honestly the way the series has developed it feels kind of meaningless when there are obvious real villains that they both have to deal with. In Chrono Phantasma it's got to the point where the two of them are basically working together on the same side, with Jin just throwing in the occasional "btw imma kill you later NII-CHAAAAAAAAN" for the sake of it.

By the way this episode also didn't really suck. I guess the adaptation is improving? Or maybe that's Stockholm Syndrome speaking.

Jarmel

Banned
I take it back, the writing in KNK Ep.10 is fucking awful too.
I will admit the
cold opening leading into the OP was well done
and there were certainly some good moments in the episode, not to mention the episode looked visually very good, but too much of this episode from a directing and writing standpoint was straight out trash.
Why would you have a dream inside another,essentially, dream sequence? All it does is provide some half-assed shock drama and burn what remains of the show's running time. The twist itself isn't properly executed as the moment we see Mirai touching zombie Akihito, the twist is ruined. However the show then keeps on running with the thing and wasting time despite the now obvious twist incoming, such as the completely unnecessary pool sequence, which only serves to provide fanservice at that point. Now you could say that the dream sequence was necessary for Akihito to realize that Mirai has feelings for him but why does this have to be done inside a dream sequence instead of Mirai in person telling him her feelings or Akihito realizing himself that he loves her. Instead the dream is a lazy vehicle for the show to express the emotions of Mirai to Akihito but without having to do it with the actual character. The seasons also jumping around like crazy doesn't make the sequence any easier to follow. Instead of trying to legit shock the viewer by keeping one tone and breaking it at the end or building up tension to the twist happening, it falls flaccid. So we're now 10 minutes into the episode in a sequence we already know is some sort of illusion bullshit.

Then around the 13 minute mark, the show completely changes gears
to explain to the audience in some half-assed manner what happened from Mirai's perspective of the show. Instead of building to the events in episode 9 and going from the opening sequence, the show waits till a little over the half-way mark to do so.
This is utterly baffling as to why this was done in this particular manner. It doesn't flow well at all and with the early part of the episode being a dream sequence, it just makes the whole thing a mess. Then we have the actual direction of these scenes, some of which is rife with bad storyboarding such as boring shots of feet. Instead of flowing in and out of each other to create this fluid narrative, it just jumps
from sequence to sequence with little more than a date. This isn't helped by how talky the 2nd half of this episode is.
The 2nd half of this episode should have been flipped with the 1st half.

In short; fuyukai desu fuyukai desu fuyukai desu, Takemoto-san. You can do better than this.
ibomkKvH0BDZwH.gif

cajunator

Banned

quote pic plz

I don't hate lamias but something with no human butt can not receive my full love. Great tummies though.

You know what you love and you do not waver. I respect that.

Nice looking set. I never watched this but the price is pretty low.

Midonin

Hidamari Sketch Sae & Hiro Graduation
Three Minutes of Selfishness, a Lifetime of Gratitude

Hidamari is a series that doesn't need to prove itself at this point. With four seasons and several OVAs under its belt, for something I watched while waiting for Sketchbook, I can see why it's lasted as a not huge, but well adored hit in the anime world for as long as it has. Shaft's changed and problems have arisen, but the core things that make Hidamari special have remained since day one, they've just gotten more polished.

Taken as a whole, they're wonderful. The first half felt more like a regular Hidamari episode, but the graduation one was just amazingly done, especially Yuno's dream sequences that bookended the stories. Seeing so many characters at once, and the slightly redone OP with the second verse of "Open☆Canvas" was also a nice touch, a way to make it feel even more special.

Since the story's still being told from Yuno's perspective, Sae and Hiro aren't completely at the center, but the ways in which they've touched everyone at Hidamari are shown clearly and poignantly. Even comedy moments like the "let us be selfish" scene keep the undercurrent of melancholy from never entirely disappearing. Shaft's tendency for background signs is also at play. The yearbook messages say a lot about what Sae and Hiro's school life was like, even though we never saw all of it. The Principal was great as always, and even Yoshinoya had a very Yoshinoya-like moment in the one scene she was in. All the characters were used to their full effect.

And that scene with Natsume. So much left unsaid, but so much said as well. Hers has been one of tragedy and comedy, but knowing that Sae's going to keep in touch with her is just the sweetest thing. She'll never be able to match Hiro's wife level, but Sae doesn't want to live without her nonetheless. Where did these tears come from?

A final thought would be unnecessary. Hidamari's one of my favorite series, and if this is the end, it's a great one. If it continues beyond here, I'm okay with that, because Sae and Hiro got the best sendoff, one they deserved, with sentiment and the style of jokes that keep Hidamari a fun place to return to after all this time. The apartments are a character unto themselves at this point - and I'm sure they, though they'll gladly welcome new tenants/weirdoes into their rooms, shall miss Sae and Hiro as much as the rest of us.

Kazzy

Yeah Im confused about the complaints since they are making it cheaper than the JPN Sub BDs...and put six episodes on the final one making it one volume less than the JPN release. It seems like a better alternative than importing if one really cant wait for them to release the EngDub.

'It's cheaper than the JPN release' shouldn't be what it's judge it by, because almost anything succeeds by that criteria. Obviously there is slightly more to it then that (licensing agreements and whatnot), so this is a somewhat reductive view, but I am a consumer. As such, it's a shit proposition, irrespective of those factors.

duckroll

The KyoAnus Show - Episode 10

Stupid. Dumb. Lame. No action. Zzzzzzzz. What a waste of Takemoto. Only 2 more episodes of this garbage. I can do it!

CorvoSol

i cry a little anytime i see a flower in the desert now.

I only cry when I see them in space.

Man if there were ever two male protagonists, especially in a mech show, who were one step away from becoming yaoi lovers, it's Athrun and Kira.

Somebody has not ever seen Gundam Wing. I don't think Trowa and Quattre have female love interests at all. Like, period. Oh, and Gundam AGE. Women exist for babies, but guys are for love. There's a reason DTL likes AGE when nobody else in the universe does.

Besides, everyone knows Kira only sleeps with people who dated his best friends.

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 107

Morau fight was very Morau. He just loves to stay calm as fuck and defeat his opponents while they don't even realise he's doing anything. Seriously, though, just how the fuck
big must his lungs be
?!

Palm interlude was very filled with hopelessness and futility. I mean, there was a little hope spot in the middle there, but really. It was never going to happen. Remember who we're dealing with here.
Also did she actually get sexed by that creep? I really kind of hope she knocked him out before anything happened because ewwwwwwwww. Even Palm doesn't deserve that.

And then Killua did what Killua does best, which is being amazing. The segue into the ending theme felt particularly appropriate in this episode.

NeonZ

Meanwhile the concept of evolved humans also exists in Valvrave except is more of a terrible curse that's fuelled by consuming the literal lifeforce of lesser humans. Haruto has stated that his goal is actually to halt this 'next step' however he can.

It's just interesting how Valvrave has a much more cynical approach on the same basic idea. The assumption in the Valvrave universe is that the 'evolved humans' are for more likely to seek power for themselves and feed on others than lead them to a new golden age of peace and understanding.

Gundam X already had a more cynical look at Newtypes in Gundam's context itself though... Of course, it was handled in a very different way from what Valvrave is doing, considering how they still were actual "Newtypes".

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 3

One moment you're sneaking around a girl's apartment trying to steal her panties, the next you're nerding out about mechs with a guy who just had a gun pointed straight at your head. Life's strange like that.

Looks like the wheels are about to get into motion.

Chronoexe

I only cry when I see them in space.

Somebody has not ever seen Gundam Wing. I don't think Trowa and Quattre have female love interests at all. Like, period. Oh, and Gundam AGE. Women exist for babies, but guys are for love. There's a reason DTL likes AGE when nobody else in the universe does.

Besides, everyone knows Kira only sleeps with people who dated his best friends.

I never noticed this, Kira is so badass.

Meyrin Hawke, You're next

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito: Episode 2

So this train journey was leading to what exactly? What did the bomb have to do with anything? All I know is that the next episode aired at 2:45 am which means that the vast majority of the population didn't watch this.

Narag

So this train journey was leading to what exactly? What did the bomb have to do with anything? All I know is that the next episode aired at 2:45 am which means that the vast majority of the population didn't watch this.

The premise is that they're travelling through various books or something there. Of course they do a terrible fucking job of making this clear.

Syrinx

Well, you see,
......................................................................................................................... nothing.....................................................................................

Edit: What Narag said.

cnet128

Banned

sounds like normal anime time

Coppelion 10

Aoi is mai waifu. Can I hug her please. WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE ONLY HUGS HEROIC ROBOTS.

Also I know
Ibuki-san's fella is a decent guy, but it's still creepy to have a man in one of those Evil Suits following you around. Someone get that guy a new outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom